What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (8 Viewers)

Lowe''s parking lots are fuller around here.

Based on dividend percentage HD.

Lowe's mgmt sucks.  Not sure about HD.
Lowes stock seems to be better lately although they pretty much just mirror each other over the long haul. Hate buying them at highs but it is long term buy and hold.

Unless I heard something really crazy was here or after reading was going to go HD only because the Lowe's in my area is pretty crappy compared to the HD.

Seems like unless there is some huge shift in this industry they are both going to be good over the long haul (until I drop like 20k in them and give em the kiss of death).

Lowes has outpaced recently because their focus is the homeowner/DIY, while HD is split between DIY's and contractors. DIY outperformed at the beginning of the pandemic when people stopped letting contractors and outsiders into their homes as often.

Lowes is also adding Tool Rental, which is pretty profitable for HD. I believe Lowes still trades at a lower multiple.

For a better rundown, the Motely Fool Money podcast from last week brought up this exact question.
I will check that out. Thanks.

That tool rental does sound like a money maker. 

Solar and EV stocks carrying me today - DPHC up 12%, EVSI 16%, TSLA 6%, although NKLA has been on a slide and is down 2%.
I keep forget to buy this stuff. I meant to a month ago and definitely want to get a stake.

Which one(s) is your favorite for longer haul?

Anyone here invest in cannabis stocks? Which ones?
This if it happens:

Cannabis Vending Machines May Finally Arrive in 2020

A former Coca-Cola executive is currently testing a state-of-the-art, age-verifying, self-service CBD vending kiosk in a major U.S. airport. If all goes well, he eventually plans to put one in every airport, convenience store and yoga studio in America.

Investors have their eyes on "un-attended retail" industry estimated to be worth $25 billion in the U.S. alone!

This if it happens:

Cannabis Vending Machines May Finally Arrive in 2020

A former Coca-Cola executive is currently testing a state-of-the-art, age-verifying, self-service CBD vending kiosk in a major U.S. airport. If all goes well, he eventually plans to put one in every airport, convenience store and yoga studio in America.

Investors have their eyes on "un-attended retail" industry estimated to be worth $25 billion in the U.S. alone!
Which company is this?

The age verifying kiosk isn't just limited to cannibals.

For those that like tech, but dont feel comfortable guessing researching individual stocks, VGT, includes a lot of stocks mentioned here recently.

Top 10

Apple Inc    AAPL    18.20%
Microsoft Corp    MSFT    17.32%
Visa Inc Class A    V    4.07%
Intel Corp    INTC    3.52%
Mastercard Inc A    MA    3.52%
NVIDIA Corp    NVDA    2.82%
Cisco Systems Inc    CSCO    2.65%
Adobe Inc    ADBE    2.44%
PayPal Holdings Inc    PYPL    2.26%
Salesforce.com Inc    CRM    1.93%
Bought HCAIX on 6/10 when 79.48.   Today it is going to close up over 100. 

Top 10

Amazon.com Inc     AMZN     7.41%

Microsoft Corp        MSFT      6.77%

Apple Inc                  AAPL       4.87%

Netflix Inc                NFLX       4.38%

Mastercard Inc A   MA           3.83%

Salesforce.com Inc  CRM     3.81%

Alibaba Group Holding Ltd ADR    BABA     3.62%

Adobe Inc                          ADBE                 3.55%

NVIDIA Corp                  NVDA                    3.47%

Visa Inc Class A               V                         3.47%

needanap said:
Bought HCAIX on 6/10 when 79.48.   Today it is going to close up over 100. 

Top 10

Amazon.com Inc     AMZN     7.41%

Microsoft Corp        MSFT      6.77%

Apple Inc                  AAPL       4.87%

Netflix Inc                NFLX       4.38%

Mastercard Inc A   MA           3.83%

Salesforce.com Inc  CRM     3.81%

Alibaba Group Holding Ltd ADR    BABA     3.62%

Adobe Inc                          ADBE                 3.55%

NVIDIA Corp                  NVDA                    3.47%

Visa Inc Class A               V                         3.47%
I have iusg and vug in my roth, both domestic heavy NASDAQ, here is vug.better of two top holdings.  Both have been great.

Microsoft CorpMSFT9.66%

Apple IncAAPL8.79%

Amazon.com IncAMZN7.11%

Facebook Inc AFB3.74%

Alphabet Inc AGOOGL2.97%

Alphabet Inc Class CGOOG2.89%

Visa Inc Class AV2.23%

Mastercard Inc AMA1.87%

The Home Depot IncHD1.87%

NVIDIA CorpNVDA1.43%

Now what is probably my most boring core holding is popping like it’s Sea Limited after hours:

A 15-minute Covid test from Abbott Laboratories that will be priced at just $5 has been granted emergency authorization for use in the U.S., a breakthrough that could ease the bottleneck that has crimped much of the nation’s testing capacity.

Went up to $115 before the AH session ended (after closing at $103 during the day.)

That seems a bit overdone but I don’t know how much it costs to make them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now what is probably my most boring core holding is popping like it’s Sea Limited after hours:

A 15-minute Covid test from Abbott Laboratories that will be priced at just $5 has been granted emergency authorization for use in the U.S., a breakthrough that could ease the bottleneck that has crimped much of the nation’s testing capacity.

Went up to $115 before the AH session ended (after closing at $103 during the day.)

Is it?

Prior to the AH pop this thing was only 10% above it's pre-COVID price and now they potentially just instantly became the sole source of easy consumer rapid testing?

Can we just bop into a store or go on Amazon and order these things when they're released?  If so who in the world is NOT going to buy some?  $5/test is a no brainer right now as a consumer.  If these things work the second they are available I'm buying 50 of them and testing my kid every day when he gets home from school.

Unfortunately I sold out of all my ABT two weeks ago to free up some cash.  Wish I had seen this news before AH's closed at my broker 15 mins ago I would have bought back in pretty heavy.  I bet it opens even higher pre-market tomorrow.

Is it?

Prior to the AH pop this thing was only 10% above it's pre-COVID price and now they potentially just instantly became the sole source of easy consumer rapid testing?

Can we just bop into a store or go on Amazon and order these things when they're released?  If so who in the world is NOT going to buy some.  $5/test is a no brainer right now as a consumer. 
According to the article they’ll still be administered by health care workers.

Toilet paper

Paper towels

Bottled water

Lysol

Clorox

Non-perishable food items
So limit 3 or something. They said they can pump out 50 million of those things per month. 

And why not just get some other companies in on the production? How come we can shift everyone to focusing on helping with ammo and missile production during a big war but we can't do the same with something that can save lives during a pandemic? If we could get everyone a supply of rapid tests they can self administer we could stop this thing in its tracks. 

LRNZ might be my favorite investment ever.

Not that it's given me the best return, but it strictly followed my personal investment plan and it wasn't a tip from anyone. 
I like it because I plagiarized it from you.  No research, no work, just profit.

Yeah, I was getting tired of seeing the same posts.  I told myself I'd at least stay away until fall break (I might want to post our vacation pictures after we get back) or, better, after the election.
:thumbup:

I hardly look at it.  Though it was useful today to make contact my southern Louisiana peeps.  Laura is a mean, mean girl.  Terrifying.

:thumbup:

I hardly look at it.  Though it was useful today to make contact my southern Louisiana peeps.  Laura is a mean, mean girl.  Terrifying.
That's one of the things I miss. It's how we check up on people and find out about significant events in people's lives who we don't see often. Heck, we even stopped sending Christmas cards partly because everyone sees everything we do (so the Christmas letter seems irrelevant, we just post a picture and say "Merry holidays". 

I'll probably reactivate and just not look at often.

nice 

I keep forget to buy this stuff. I meant to a month ago and definitely want to get a stake.

Which one(s) is your favorite for longer haul?
As a company, Tesla. But getting in at this point is risky, and this is coming from someone who got in only 10 percent ago. 

I like DPHC because its merger is with Lordstown Motors which actually has a factory and $1.4B in preorders. Of course production is still a year away, so a lot can happen. And it’s up 32% already in the past couple of weeks since I picked it up. 

In general I’m just trying to make several plays across renewables and EVs as I believe in the space. They won’t all be winners though, that’s the only thing I know for sure.  

Took some profits on things.  Basically all cash in my brokerage right now.  

I know timing things is stupid and whatnot, but my 403b which is most of my net worth remains in 100% equities.  Looking for pull backs and to take advantage of some more of the stock tips/picks talked about here.  

XOM now under 40??  Dividend going away?  So if they were to cut their dividend how would that affect the share price short term?  Does it typically go down?  Nothing??

I know timing things is stupid and whatnot, but my 403b which is most of my net worth remains in 100% equities.  Looking for pull backs and to take advantage of some more of the stock tips/picks talked about here.  

XOM now under 40??  Dividend going away?  So if they were to cut their dividend how would that affect the share price short term?  Does it typically go down?  Nothing??
It will drop.

Would guess substantial drop. Some people/funds only hold for the dividend. 

What the heck happened to FLGT and QDEL? I don’t own the latter but they are both in that biotech arena and neither have news and earnings already happened. Makes me think something that could affect both. Maybe that ABT news?

Assuming your 403b is substantially larger than your brokerage, I see no issue there. I've been tempted to pull out, but I have a tendency to not do that in time.

On a related note, I'm setting up our 5th college account today. Probably another coverdell even though those seem to be out of favor. I just like the options allowed and don't intend to invest more than $2k annual anyway.

What the heck happened to FLGT and QDEL? I don’t own the latter but they are both in that biotech arena and neither have news and earnings already happened. Makes me think something that could affect both. Maybe that ABT news?
Don't know but I've added back all I sold In the upper 40s and 50s and looking to increase my position if it drops further.

KEY STATS

Open39.9052 Week High52.47Market Cap731.3M

Day High39.9052 Wk Hi Date2020-08-20Shares Out21.8M

Day Low33.01<------------- Me

I bought based on this recommendation.

Great news today on the Nevada settlement.  Lets keep the train moving.
Expanding to PA and two other markets expected to be announced in the next ~month. Up over 15% today after earnings. Has overtaken #### as my largest singular holding in my 'fun' accounts. 

ETA: $AYRSF - because it was not obvious since I suck at quoting

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
Been reading about UAVS on another board. Speculation of a partnership with Amazon for drone deliveries.  Reason for current price is that rumor but I imagine if it ends up being confirmed it would shoot up again (and if it’s not amazon I imagine a fall would be likely).

Anyone already in this?

Wish I had seen this news before AH's closed at my broker 15 mins ago I would have bought back in pretty heavy.  I bet it opens even higher pre-market tomorrow.
I wish my brain was working better before AH's closed because I should have realized airlines, etc. would pop on this and I could have made a quick trade.

Definitely the ABT news.

Time for an apology.

I was wrong on Frontline.  The numbers looked good but they cut their dividend.  Down 5%.  I won't be adding unless we see low 7s.

I also sold 1/2 my JWN position.  I recommend getting in at $14.50 with a downside of $12.50 and expected target of $16.50.  Got out around $15.25.  Kind of lucky here as earnings missed and guidance was poor.  4% gain, but that money could have been better used elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread