What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (18 Viewers)

LOL. I was in this thread 10 years ago.  Started with $2K.  Wish I could say I was successful, I kept going for homeruns and would sometimes buy and sell within minutes.  I had no patience and still struggle with that.

I cashed out my stock options from work and decided to give it a go but with a different outlook.  I still jump into some plays here, but again, I usually get frustrated when they go down and lose.  up 30% over what I would have been if I kept my old work stock, so happy.

Been in and out of AMZN quite a few times and am in the green overall.  

My strategy now, which it should have been years ago, is to only buy stocks I dont mind holding a long time.  Hence, I keep adding to AMZN to lower my cost.  but not selling it for quite awhile, hopefully over a year for tax reasons.  Maybe forever.

My goal this year is to have

AMZN

AVGO

MJ

CHWY

PLTR

RBLX

ABNB

and hold for a very long time. 

edit - (I remember when facebook was highly debated in this thread if it was a suckers bet.  I think it opened around $30)
Long term is the only way to keep sane unless you have time to watch every single minute. The biggest angst I’ve had is the short term bets. I’ve made plenty on them so I haven’t minded but I’ve made far more on my long term buys and honestly would have done even better this year if I just stayed the course on my long term buys and just kept adding.

Also, don’t get frustrated over losses, especially in the long term stocks. Not a single one of my long term buys outside of ZM didn’t go lower in March or another time. APPN was one of my worst performers until the past few weeks and then it was a better performer than some of my stalwarts.

No idea how much you are dealing with but I would recommend adding some additional stocks if you want to go long term. Diversify a bit more. It can be a slow addition so you don’t have to sell off stuff you like, but it helps to have some stocks popping all the time. Might make you worry less about drops when they don’t kill your overall returns.

SPLK got roasted AH. They missed estimates. I’ve heard of them before but never invested, didn’t realize their revenue was already expected to drop from last year anyway. Looks like they hadn’t really gone up much from February so looks like the not so good 2020 was already expected and they missed that.

Hadn't heard of LGVW before but appreciate the heads up on this one.  Seems like a solid bet to me, good backers in on this company and what looks to be a really nice product.

I'm buying

up HUGE after hours
Up nicely this morning although gave up some gains. Man, should have sold at open just under 25. It’s still up 16% but at open it was 40%.

Man, I missed on CRWD and ESTC, been watching those for a while but never bought. They went back under 100 during the election week and I have a feeling I won’t ever see that again. Still a very nice day but hesitation has cost me way more than it’s saved. Definitely need to improve on that for long term buys. Rather than wait for a big position opening, just buy some and if it keeps going up at least your making some on the earlier money and if it dips you can DCA down.

These conversions are a pain on Fidelity. You can’t sell the day of the conversion. It’s some funky line in my account with no Sell button. Wasn’t planning to but I didn’t expect an open at almost $25. Last one (RIDE) seemed like it took more than 1 day to finally appear under the new symbol.

Up 13% today.  That's after a 20%drop over the past week so there is that.   
SPACs with mergers that people liked (not IPOC or GHIV) are all doing well today. Funny how so many of them have nothing to do with each other but all move in sync. I think due to the smaller market caps/floats and  smaller institutional/ETF involvements that retail investors can move them a lot. I didn’t realize how many people follow them and that there are YouTube videos, etc. It’s almost impossible to follow them all now. I still have a few that haven’t even announced a merger yet and I’ve had them for months.

These conversions are a pain on Fidelity. You can’t sell the day of the conversion. It’s some funky line in my account with no Sell button. Wasn’t planning to but I didn’t expect an open at almost $25. Last one (RIDE) seemed like it took more than 1 day to finally appear under the new symbol.
Yup, same here. Probably wouldn't have been quick enough to pull the trigger when it spiked but it's horse#### that you can't if you're so inclined. I did double up my position at $19.50 on the dip though, up 15% since.

Cannot believe SNOW went green bigly today. Their valuation is ridiculous. They are now trading at 155 times sales using their latest quarter. People think ZM is expensive (I did as well, hence selling most of mine at the peak), well based on the last quarter they are at 40 times sales and ZM’s revenue growth this year is way above SNOW. SNOW is a solid business and growing well, but $150M in sales in a quarter even if at 119% growth and a $93B valuation is way out of whack. Almost triple the IPO price and that was way jacked up from the 20s/30s it started at. Insane for YTD price to be around 10x what they initially valued it at months ago.

I wouldn’t touch SNOW for any reason. It’s beyond frothy.

Pros vs. Smoos November Edition (Schwab FA v. FishNSuds MIL account challenge)

Pro account 1: 8.0%, 12 statement pages

Pro account 2: 6.3%, 8 statement pages

Smoo account: +10.6%, 24 statement pages

Pro fee charge = $300

Smoo fee charge = Extra helping of gravy at Thanksgiving
You gotta pick up your game:

S&P 500 November return: 10.8%

Is this still that lady who sucks? At least she’s consistently under the market.

Is this still that lady who sucks? At least she’s consistently under the market.
As my first manager used to say, "Be right or be wrong, but be consistent. I'll figure out the rest."

% chance DOCU puts up this kind of day pre-earnings AND pops AH: 0-point-0

I just can't ever bring myself to trim, even when I know what's coming.  🥎

Well BashNBezos portfolio did contain 20% cash and 40% allocation to that boat anchor Amazon.  If you back out the Amazon holdings, the return for the month was 14.7% and if you back out the cash also, it was 21.7%.

Time to take a look at KR again.  Barely missed the top line sales by a smidge but upped guidance.  Down 5% today.  IMO it's a good place to dump some used cash.  We could easily see a 10% jump in the next 3 months.

Well BashNBezos portfolio did contain 20% cash and 40% allocation to that boat anchor Amazon.  If you back out the Amazon holdings, the return for the month was 14.7% and if you back out the cash also, it was 21.7%.
My 50 shares from 2014 are only up 975%. Total laggard. lol. I actually love that it's been flat for like 6 months and just did a buy in of 10 shares 2 days ago. Reminds me of the set up GOOG had between 2017-2019; flat and then a nice move up. But yeah, if you're a day trader I'd probably not want to tie up that much capital in a stock if you're just going to flip it for a few bucks.

My 50 shares from 2014 are only up 975%. Total laggard. lol. I actually love that it's been flat for like 6 months and just did a buy in of 10 shares 2 days ago. Reminds me of the set up GOOG had between 2017-2019; flat and then a nice move up. But yeah, if you're a day trader I'd probably not want to tie up that much capital in a stock if you're just going to flip it for a few bucks.
Yeah, it has been in a pretty tight window lately. I think there’s no news that will come out before earnings in January. The only ding they had on an otherwise spectacular earnings report was their conservative guidance for earnings even though the upped the revenue number.

I sold those older shares several times in the last year and have reacquired cheaper everything time except one.  The pattern has always been another pop.  Interestingly enough they are finally getting the sales and profits to make another push and nothing is happening.  I'm scratching my head that index money isn't at least nudging things forward.

ORRCF with an almost 13% gain today.  

Wish I'd bought more.  

Thanks for the tip, I-don't-remember-who.
I had put it out there in August at 51 cents, however I think @eaganwildcats had suggested it well before that.  The research I was doing at the time also turned up Mind Technology.  I got in at $2.20 and it's at $2.40 now so it has run as much.

I sold those older shares several times in the last year and have reacquired cheaper everything time except one.  The pattern has always been another pop.  Interestingly enough they are finally getting the sales and profits to make another push and nothing is happening.  I'm scratching my head that index money isn't at least nudging things forward.
I wonder if a big boy is selling.  Keeping the price down, then when hes done, it can grow

KGB said:
I wonder if a big boy is selling.  Keeping the price down, then when hes done, it can grow
Bezos has been selling to fund his space venture (or maybe that's cover for the dump after the pump).  I'm not sure if he's liquidating enough to matter.  I haven't researched influxes into index funds.  You would think if the spigot is on that the price would be moving somewhat with the market.

Users who are viewing this thread