What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (12 Viewers)

Not adding anymore on long positions until I feel this has settled (which I have no confidence that is has).  Have the ones I want to keep that I'm not selling no matter what happens and will look to add and buy others when this inevitably goes lower.

Short term looking to make some $$$ on puts so i have added to some of those positions today.
I think I’m with you, there will be more opportunities ahead. I got lucky with BA and need to take a step back....may still keep averaging in to my Vanguard funds at a higher rate since we are still well off the highs. 

I think I’m with you, there will be more opportunities ahead. I got lucky with BA and need to take a step back....may still keep averaging in to my Vanguard funds at a higher rate since we are still well off the highs. 
My 401K for 2019 hit 1/8/20.  So I averaged in a little taxable into VFIAX on 3/18/20.  Looking for more.  VEMAX as well.

Pretty close.  Maybe 10% exposed to stocks, 80% cash (some long bonds in there I stayed put with).
Next leg down....you gotta go in Sand. 

I will post here when I am. You can’t time the bottom.....ever. Long term. Think long!

I do know that bear markets and pandemics collectively take at least 3 weeks to self correct and return to normal.

While that sounds funny, wouldn’t that be thought process behind someone buying right now, especially after this rally? 

I do know that bear markets and pandemics collectively take at least 3 weeks to self correct and return to normal.

While that sounds funny, wouldn’t that be thought process behind someone buying right now, especially after this rally? 
The algos must like something in the recent movements.

But yeah, I agree with the thought that a retest of lows should lie ahead.  Just sit back and marvel at the mad lurching beast that is the U.S. market at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been over a decade since we have had market movements like this. 

Not saying a retest is not in the cards but if there isn't one, the reason the talking heads will give (after the fact) is that this selloff was not based on economic fundamentals. It was based on an external event, never before seen or contemplated. At least that is what Cramu will say, along with he saw it coming. 

I need a retest because I sold most of my holdings yesterday.

Anyone in the Bay Area may want to tune into ABC 7 news this afternoon (5 & 6pm).  They interviewed our CEO this am and will be airing a story on our COVID-19 treatment protocol.  CYDY will be discussed.
Hopefully that will offset the 10% dip today.  

I need a retest because I sold most of my holdings yesterday.
My guess is we see at least 1 more retest and some CNBC analysts seem to agree...who knows.  With the Fed pumping money the market could react a lot different than other crashes.

Market priced that in Monday. 

But more bad news ahead.....this is not over. And if not.....wonderful. But I have seen this movie before with different actors. 

And BTW there are plenty of values still in the market.
No need to be coy, whachya feeling are still best long term values?

As this is a fear driven market, and we are such a celebrity worshipful culture I am waiting for a celebrity death to spook the herd.

Sad to say, but I imagine there would be a lot more panic and reaction if Tom Hanks or whoever were to die vs reports of a faceless ten thousand. 

If this were to happen I expect another rush for the exits.

You didn't ask me but at current levels I like 

Okta

Uber

JPM

Amazon

LogMeIn

Target
What is the method you use to determine "value"?

edit:  Not to say I don't like your picks...some of them I think represent great value.  Just asking how YOU determine it

Markets up 3 days in a row? Back to Bull already?

... but what about the recession? ... and all of the small businesses that are permanently closing?

:rolleyes:

Wow, .... turns out this was never a real recession. 

... and yeah, I understand the costs of owning a business. I own 2 for 3 decades. Mine aren't going anywhere.

Payroll expenses? Health insurance?  ... what do you think all of these unemployment numbers are? you think people are getting paid AND collecting unemployment?

People are "laid off" not terminated. 98% will have jobs waiting for them when we get thru this.

Now I'm not going to pretend that I know what the stock market will do. We could very well see more selloff and pain in the next several weeks.

What I do know is that the economy was as strong as it ever was, with record low unemployment, prior to covid 19 landing on US soil. 

I have no reason to think it won't return to at least "very healthy" once we get past this. ... and cheap gas to boot!

Markets up 3 days in a row? Back to Bull already?

... but what about the recession? ... and all of the small businesses that are permanently closing?

:rolleyes:

Wow, .... turns out this was never a real recession. 

... and yeah, I understand the costs of owning a business. I own 2 for 3 decades. Mine aren't going anywhere.

Payroll expenses? Health insurance?  ... what do you think all of these unemployment numbers are? you think people are getting paid AND collecting unemployment?

People are "laid off" not terminated. 98% will have jobs waiting for them when we get thru this.

Now I'm not going to pretend that I know what the stock market will do. We could very well see more selloff and pain in the next several weeks.

What I do know is that the economy was as strong as it ever was, with record low unemployment, prior to covid 19 landing on US soil. 

I have no reason to think it won't return to at least "very healthy" once we get past this. ... and cheap gas to boot!
It seems like you might be underestimating the financial impact this will have on a decent proportion of the population by the time we finally get through this.

I'm looking at UVXY once we hit 265 on SPY. I didn't have the balls to enter SPXL when I mentioned it a couple of days ago (who needs a 30% return in two days anyway). 

What is the method you use to determine "value"?

edit:  Not to say I don't like your picks...some of them I think represent great value.  Just asking how YOU determine it
Value to me means limited downside risk, with decent upside with a 1 year horizon.   Amazon probably the lowest percentage gainer here but I just like the company and believe they gain market share as result of pandemic.

Every single person I’ve talked to in the last few weeks has parked it in their safe 2% fund. Every. Single. One. 
Who do you talk to? 

Mostly agree and this currently can be referred to a DCB but we wont know it was for sure until after the fact. I lean towards that myself. 

As far as the bolded. This is USA circa 2020, not the depression era. My dad was alive during that and he still pinches pennies. Do not underestimate how quickly this current generation will forget this even happened and go right back to buying. They have been given a $1200 lifeline so far and if they get back to work in the next couple of months, they will believe that is how it will always work. Thus back to spending beyond their means.

Consumer confidence will snap back a lot faster than you think. The logical person would think 'I better save for the next time'. If that were to happen it will be a slow recovery. It won't. Even if they saved for a while, they will look at that $ sitting in the bank doing nothing and will tap it down to zero. Today's human will say, I'll get bailed out next time too.
Problem true. 

For me, I realized my pain tolerance is pretty high, but perhaps I should have a little closer to 80/20 than 95/5. 

Pretty close.  Maybe 10% exposed to stocks, 80% cash (some long bonds in there I stayed put with).
Like you said, you got out around here. Now we get to see if you're smarter/ luckier bthan others, and make the right decision going forward. I hope the best for you, but as I'm mostly in, I don't want another big fall. Although I'd be okay with it as I have around $20k to put in our play account sometime soon.

Value to me means limited downside risk, with decent upside risk with a 1 year horizon.   Amazon probably the lowest percentage gainer here but I just like the company and believe they gain market share as result of pandemic.
You could change the name to Berkshire Hathaway and the same applies. I might go all in there for our college accounts.

Anyone in the Bay Area may want to tune into ABC 7 news this afternoon (5 & 6pm).  They interviewed our CEO this am and will be airing a story on our COVID-19 treatment protocol.  CYDY will be discussed.
Here's the report .  They focused much more on the testing than on the treatment unfortunately.  They allude to CYDY but never name the company.

Users who are viewing this thread