What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (3 Viewers)

I don’t want to pile on too much but I think it’s funny mentioning the in person shopping of Target, Walmart and Best Buy (add Costco too) to Amazon because all 3 of those are also places you can go and buy the stuff you can buy at GameStop. Amazon isn’t close to the only competitor to GameStop online or offline and that’s not even getting to Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo.
How many gamers need lotion, groceries, Starbucks, and new clothes in one stop? 

Most gamers seldom shower, only consume fast food, drink energy drinks, and barely leave the house. 

There's definitely a place for going into a gaming only store. Where you walk in a 500 sq space vs a section in the back of a 10000 square foot building.

DKNG action very interesting today. Not sure what to make of it. Half-tempted to buy, but if it's not going to hold with these headlines, maybe not the best bet short-term? So many positive catalysts right now. I want a piece. Wonder if selling some puts might not be the better short-term option.

Most gamers seldom shower, only consume fast food, drink energy drinks, and barely leave the house. 

There's definitely a place for going into a gaming only store. Where you walk in a 500 sq space vs a section in the back of a 10000 square foot building.
Of course, "there is still a possibility that a B&M video games retail store can exist in some capacity in this new world" is a lousy thesis for why GME should be worth 5x what it was worth at B&M retail's absolute peak. 

Any GME play is a speculative play on Cohen doing something magical that we haven't thought of or a speculative play on market mechanics. Simply believing the company will continue to exist is not a reason to buy a stock at 5x the price of when its business model was at its prime and no one had any doubts about the company's long term future. 

Of course, "there is still a possibility that a B&M video games retail store can exist in some capacity in this new world" is a lousy thesis for why GME should be worth 5x what it was worth at B&M retail's absolute peak. 

Any GME play is a speculative play on Cohen doing something magical that we haven't thought of or a speculative play on market mechanics. Simply believing the company will continue to exist is not a reason to buy a stock at 5x the price of when its business model was at its prime and no one had any doubts about the company's long term future. 
To be fair, Market Cap is actually currently about where it was at peak ('07). 

At the height of GME frothiness, it was about 2x peak.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, obviously people can make a ton of money off of this GME phenomenon - but not sure why some feel the need to justify it by pretending it's a good company. If all of this "gamma squeeze" or similar rhetoric happens, they'll ultimately have the last laugh, but that will have nothing to do with the true worth of the company.

All I will say is I was on a conference call at 8AM this morning in regards to a volatile stock yesterday.

Game changer technology. Hold long with confidence. Ignore the noise and headlines from yesterday. A typical short seller trying to manipulate the market to their favor.

Unfounded and totally off base claims. 
Just wink if you are referring to the stock that almost rhymes with WantonSkates. Thought so.

I don’t want to pile on too much but I think it’s funny mentioning the in person shopping of Target, Walmart and Best Buy (add Costco too) to Amazon because all 3 of those are also places you can go and buy the stuff you can buy at GameStop. Amazon isn’t close to the only competitor to GameStop online or offline and that’s not even getting to Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo.

I think a good corollary here for Gamestop would be Barnes and Noble.

I love Barnes and Noble and try to shop there for books when I can.  Do I need to?  No.  Could I find the books cheaper elsewhere?  Prolly.  In the end, I dont believe in the pure capitalisim experiment of price, price, price.  I believe there is tremendous value in service as well as touch and feel.

Yes I said touch and feel

:bag:

:banned:

Whats interesting is Cohen made billions off of pet products.  Who does that?

I love Barnes and Noble and try to shop there for books when I can.  Do I need to?  No.  Could I find the books cheaper elsewhere?  Prolly.  In the end, I dont believe in the pure capitalisim experiment of price, price, price.  I believe there is tremendous value in service as well as touch and feel.

I'm not even sure it's going to be that for GameStop.

To me, this is turning into a counterculture type of thing. Gamers are a different breed. You combine that with all of this "us against the world" thing that GME became. 

It taps into this subculture of people who feel like they are on the outside looking in at times. But also a extremely large and LOYAL group. GameStop is doing this well in my opinion. It's not about the brick and mortar store. 

It's the online business. Someone mentioned awhile ago about the types of things gamers want:

Technology

Accessories

Gamer Furniture

Sound Systems

Monitors

Games

Clothing

And whatever else appeals to that demographic. You have a generally younger demographic with money to spend. And if GameStop is considered THE PLACE to get that stuff, then I could totally see their online business show up. 

If GameStop provides that, those folks WILL shop there. In my opinion.

You're probly better off to just sticking to riding Cohen out then . . . and leaving the Barnes and Noble argument back in the barn.
Yeah, even thought Cohen and team have been closing stores and saying e-commerce was the future, which kind of invalidates some of this argument already, Barnes and Noble as a stock isn’t exactly the comparison of choice.

Just wink if you are referring to the stock that almost rhymes with WantonSkates. Thought so.
I just dumped a couple of SPACs (one merged with Volta EV charging and one unmerged) and bought 200 shares of WantonSkates. F it, if I’m speculating I’d rather speculate on a game changer than an unknown or a just another charger.

I may start doing the same with other stuff I spread around. I’d rather take a more targeted higher upside approach.

I just dumped a couple of SPACs (one merged with Volta EV charging and one unmerged) and bought 200 shares of WantonSkates. F it, if I’m speculating I’d rather speculate on a game changer than an unknown or a just another charger.

I may start doing the same with other stuff I spread around. I’d rather take a more targeted higher upside approach.
Ice or roller?

• Laughing
Reactions: JAA
The legend that is Roaring Kitty exercised his 50,000 shares and bought another 50,000 shares of GameStop.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/msblc3/gme_yolo_update_apr_16_2021_final_update/

I remain committed to this play for as long as it takes. I am likely out of day trading it though and am looking to manage it via alerts. It has been very good to me and I am all-in on the Ryan Cohen led turnaround. I currently value the stock at $180+ without the squeeze potential, but still think we will see MOASS sometime this year. There are also so many possible triggers that could catapult the stock even without it ever squeezing that I prefer just watching this story play out (instead of trying to time the market)

I am likely bailing out of this stock thread here as I am holding giant shares of GameStop and Funko (and cash) and don't have a lot of confidence in the overall market (as I suspect the market tanks should GME take off).

Best of luck everyone with their trades the rest of the year. It's time for me to crank out projections and start dominating best ball leagues in my retirement.

Uh, you do realize B&N's revenue peaked in 2012 and has fallen every year since, then was taken private in 2019 for a fraction of it's peak market cap (and a fraction of GME's current market cap)?

You may want to shop there, but no one wants to invest in the next Barnes and Noble.

• Thanks

And this is where you lose me. Their stores suck. The atmosphere sucks. The help....sucks.

The model......sucks.

I will leave it at that.

I think the stock is lousy investment. If you want to trade it...and try and catch lighting....ok I get it. But this company is not going to be here for the long run....in fact it will be inside the next few years we will look back at this event of the stock and say WTF happened!!! What were people thinking? This reeks of market manipulation....and we can go into other ponzi schemes at work too....but I really do not want to get into that. There are some people making a fortune on vapor......that is nothing new in America. 

I guess I really am more conservative than most in this thread. And that is cool. I will stick to what I do.....I don’t knock whatever floats peoples boats with their own money.

Just be careful. 

I'm not even sure it's going to be that for GameStop.

To me, this is turning into a counterculture type of thing. Gamers are a different breed. You combine that with all of this "us against the world" thing that GME became. 

It taps into this subculture of people who feel like they are on the outside looking in at times. But also a extremely large and LOYAL group. GameStop is doing this well in my opinion. It's not about the brick and mortar store. 

It's the online business. Someone mentioned awhile ago about the types of things gamers want:

Technology

Accessories

Gamer Furniture

Sound Systems

Monitors

Games

Clothing

And whatever else appeals to that demographic. You have a generally younger demographic with money to spend. And if GameStop is considered THE PLACE to get that stuff, then I could totally see their online business show up. 

If GameStop provides that, those folks WILL shop there. In my opinion.
All of this can be bought everywhere. IT was being done long before Gamestop realized they were a dinosaur. 

Again.....too little too late. If you are banking on a total turnaround and they reinvent themselves.....ok...i get it. That is your conviction. I respect that.

But their stock price......is ****ing ludicrous. And so are others.....we know this. At some point that crumbles to reality. Just like some others will soon enough.

Have any of you purchased Ethereum through Paypal?  Would you recommend it?  I have no intention to do anything with it, other than to watch it increase in value and I'm starting small. 

Have any of you purchased Ethereum through Paypal?  Would you recommend it?  I have no intention to do anything with it, other than to watch it increase in value and I'm starting small. 
I own BIT, ETH, and LTC currencies they sell on PayPal. They charge $9 for every $500 purchased. LTC is up 62.36%, ETH is up 44.57%, and BTC is up 13.12% from my random purchases since Feb 23rd this year. I generally check PayPal daily and buy on dip days.

3 hours ago, JAA said:

Expand  
Uh, you do realize B&N's revenue peaked in 2012 and has fallen every year since, then was taken private in 2019 for a fraction of it's peak market cap (and a fraction of GME's current market cap)?

You may want to shop there, but no one wants to invest in the next Barnes and Noble.
Not trying to be snarky, but at its peak, what was its evaluation?  Ill also add ... its still open right?

I own BIT, ETH, and LTC currencies they sell on PayPal. They charge $9 for every $500 purchased. LTC is up 62.36%, ETH is up 44.57%, and BTC is up 13.12% from my random purchases since Feb 23rd this year. I generally check PayPal daily and buy on dip days.
Excellent, thx for the info. I just read a Seeking Alpha article that basically said Ethereum will be more valuable than Bitcoin in the next few years, so was looking to buy in. 

Not trying to be snarky, but at its peak, what was its evaluation?  Ill also add ... its still open right?
I believe it topped out just under $30/sh, and it was bought out for $6.50/sh (which was a premium at the time, it was trading in the mid $4 range).

Sure, they're still open (well, not all of them, they are closing stores) but this is the stock thread, correct? Barnes and Noble was a terrible investment, so I have no idea why someone would want to own GME if you think they're similar. Like I said, knock yourself out if you'd like to shop there, but "still being open" isn't exactly a good investment thesis.

• Thanks
Excellent, thx for the info. I just read a Seeking Alpha article that basically said Ethereum will be more valuable than Bitcoin in the next few years, so was looking to buy in. 
I heard a piece on the radio to that effect. Something about the inordinate amount of energy it takes to use bitcoin versus the relative efficiency of etherium.

I heard a piece on the radio to that effect. Something about the inordinate amount of energy it takes to use bitcoin versus the relative efficiency of etherium.
Yeah, anything I've read recently suggests that Ethereum is the better investment over Bitcoin. 

Someone please talk me down ....

I'm about to blow up my entire E-Trade portfolio. This is my fun money account... and it hasn't been fun these last few weeks.

I'm down about 35% in that short time span and am about at my break even from my initial investment.

Here's what I'm stuck holding:

ARBKF

CRBP

HGEN

MARA

NERV

NNOX

PLTR

RIOT

SFTW

SNDL

SOS

Any of these turds worth holding?

Now looking at the bunch of them, just seems a mess of high risk junk. 

I'm about to blow up my entire E-Trade portfolio. This is my fun money account... and it hasn't been fun these last few weeks.

I'm down about 35% in that short time span and am about at my break even from my initial investment.

ARBKF

CRBP

HGEN

MARA

NERV

NNOX

PLTR

RIOT

SFTW

SNDL

SOS

Every single one of these is speculative, and speculative stocks have been getting hammered in unison. I'm not going to make suggestions on all, but of these, PLTR might be the only kind of "normal" thing here, but it's still growthy and growthy is currently out of favor. 

ARBKF

CRBP

HGEN

MARA

NERV

NNOX

PLTR

RIOT

SFTW

SNDL

SOS

Blow that junk up!

I believe it topped out just under $30/sh, and it was bought out for $6.50/sh (which was a premium at the time, it was trading in the mid $4 range).

Sure, they're still open (well, not all of them, they are closing stores) but this is the stock thread, correct? Barnes and Noble was a terrible investment, so I have no idea why someone would want to own GME if you think they're similar. Like I said, knock yourself out if you'd like to shop there, but "still being open" isn't exactly a good investment thesis.
What was GME peak and what do you think it will settle on?  When do you think it will settle on that price?

Users who are viewing this thread