What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (15 Viewers)

can someone link me to a cliff's notes of GME stock? what's the story behind it's fluctuation and why do people think it's a conspiracy?

I think there are really two separate narratives.

The main narrative is just a "stick it to the man" narrative where retail traders get together and manipulate a stock the same way hedge funds and market makers have been doing for decades.

The lessor/secondary/conspiracy narrative is just a desperate reach by some of the folks that got caught holding the bag when the thing collapsed and have invented some deep conspiracy about short sellers and gamma whose-its to cope with their bags.
I think there's a movie on Netflix about it too
Not on Netflix

Where's Dodds been?

Alien Fantasy
Footballguy
Joined Aug 9, 2022
Last seen Apr 18, 2023

I did half expect him to come around today. BBBY literally filed for bankruptcy exactly on his "last seen" date so I guess he didn't want to tell us how stupid we were anymore.
Yep, I have a bad feeling he got really hosed by all of these meme stocks. He wasn’t in here touting GME back at $10 pre huge run up to $480 (pre split). He was recommending it at $250 and $200, all the way down and didn’t like when we talked about Ryan Cohen/hedge fund kid making tens of millions on BBBY by selling all their shares in the twenties.

DFV is a genius. One tweet and he doubles a stock.

:bow:
So true. You know he bought last week and is going to make a ton of money or very likely already has. It was always ironic to me that he was a broker and Mass Mutual had to pay fines for the investments he made. He was the opposite of diamond hands. He just scored big time again. Stay quiet, buy up cheaper shares and then do a like and a tweet and bam, people hand him millions and they love him for making a mint off of them.

So true. You know he bought last week and is going to make a ton of money or very likely already has. It was always ironic to me that he was a broker and Mass Mutual had to pay fines for the investments he made. He was the opposite of diamond hands. He just scored big time again. Stay quiet, buy up cheaper shares and then do a like and a tweet and bam, people hand him millions and they love him for making a mint off of them.
It’s seriously the most insane pump and dump I have seen in recent memory.

True, but I sold my 5 shares just now after hours and can buy TWO pizzas. #stockgenius

At least Dobbs/Alien Planet/whatever new alias still has his big fancy home theater setup. 😳

Kinda sad watching an old insecure dude trying to convince himself over and over with GME. Think a separate thread even was created for his nonsense.

Par for the course for his type to "disappear".

The Pizzagate thing is still one of the greatest mysteries this board has ever seen. That was....peculiar. Scuttlebutt was that it was all "performance art" but I don't know, man. It was sad watching him go all-in on it.

At least Dobbs/Alien Planet/whatever new alias still has his big fancy home theater setup. 😳

Kinda sad watching an old insecure dude trying to convince himself over and over with GME. Think a separate thread even was created for his nonsense.

Par for the course for his type to "disappear".

The Pizzagate thing is still one of the greatest mysteries this board has ever seen. That was....peculiar. Scuttlebutt was that it was all "performance art" but I don't know, man. It was sad watching him go all-in on it.
Yeah, TBH, the folks that really held the bag from the first run probably got out so aren’t getting the bump or they are still down a ton. Guys like Roaring Kitty and the AMC executives, got out when the things were popping at the highs. They are also the folks that likely got in again and are making a killing now. The contract activity isn’t the regular guys, it’s the guys who know how to get prepared for a run and know their tweets will start a run. I surely don’t think Roaring Kitty really gave a crap about retail investors when he made millions on options and shares he bought before any jump happened and I don’t think Ryan Cohen cared about retail investors when he made tens of millions selling all of his BBBY shares before he had to file and people knew he was already out in the $20s.

This is fun to watch but it’s sad to see all the same stuff you know is going to happen where the smart money is already sold out before a new set of bag holders is talking about how rigged the market is and how their bankrupt company is going to issue some crazy dividend because of a gold mine or oil fields. Good luck to anyone that buys a ticket to ride. Might be interesting for a bit.

True, but I sold my 5 shares just now after hours and can buy TWO pizzas. #stockgenius
Uhhhhhh guess I shoulda held a while longer lol

I had 25 GME shares that I've been holding forever (at a terrible price)... finally said F-it and sold at 11 in early April :rolleyes: ~$2000 isn't a lot, but it's better than $275 :lol:

$AMC sold $250 million worth of shares. $GME should, too - it’d be irresponsible not to.
Did they really? I saw some articles saying they still could but nothing that they did already.

Never mind, first article now that I checked again. They should have waited a day.

That is funny that they saw a big volume day and couldn’t get rid of it fast enough. That’s what the execs think of this company when the sold it for 1/3 of the current price a day later. They just needed the volume.

$AMC sold $250 million worth of shares. $GME should, too - it’d be irresponsible not to.
Did they really? I saw some articles saying they still could but nothing that they did already.

Never mind, first article now that I checked again. They should have waited a day.

They can just sell more!
They’d be stupid not to because they dumped 72M shares yesterday and people ate it up. It’s going to be a sore day when the pumpers are done.

I haven't paid close attention to either but both aren't exactly flush with cash, no? A great way to inject cash in the business.
They're both completely uninvestable on a fundamental level and are sort of zombie companies, so yes, they should absolutely be selling and diluting (and have been whenever the meme thing happens) so they can fend off bankruptcy or private equity buyouts as long as possible,

MP Materials up12% on air. This may be getting pumped, but also, somebody might know something. :oldunsure:

I'm $1.94 in the green, for the first time. HODL!

MP Materials up12% on air.
Tariffs:

"MP Materials (NYSE:MP) +7.9% in Tuesday's trading to its highest since January after the Biden administration announced new 25% Section 301 tariffs on imports of permanent magnets and certain critical minerals.

MP Materials (MP) said Chairman and CEO James Litinsky will attend a White House event with President Biden later today.

The new tariffs "will help level the playing field for domestic producers, giving U.S. industry the time it needs to scale and develop in a manner that aligns with America's vital national interests," MP Materials (MP) said.

""In the long term, these measures will foster greater balance and resiliency across the global supply chain, ultimately benefiting producers and consumers worldwide," according to the company."

I haven't paid close attention to either but both aren't exactly flush with cash, no? A great way to inject cash in the business.
They're both completely uninvestable on a fundamental level and are sort of zombie companies, so yes, they should absolutely be selling and diluting (and have been whenever the meme thing happens) so they can fend off bankruptcy or private equity buyouts as long as possible,
Yeah, it makes sense for them to sell as much stock as possible. They would 100% tank the stock if they sold 72.5M shares when this pump and dump is not happening. With the huge volume, they slipped in the dilution with nobody noticing. I’m pretty sure these zombie companies will be around for a while. These execs will siphon off the cash for their bonuses and then go to market for more shares. Pump and dumps like today are great opportunities to pay off debt or keep cash high enough to last for years. The only losers are the people who think that they are good long term investments. Days like yesterday and today unfortunately keep them invested.

MP Materials up12% on air.
Tariffs:

"MP Materials (NYSE:MP) +7.9% in Tuesday's trading to its highest since January after the Biden administration announced new 25% Section 301 tariffs on imports of permanent magnets and certain critical minerals.

MP Materials (MP) said Chairman and CEO James Litinsky will attend a White House event with President Biden later today.

The new tariffs "will help level the playing field for domestic producers, giving U.S. industry the time it needs to scale and develop in a manner that aligns with America's vital national interests," MP Materials (MP) said.

""In the long term, these measures will foster greater balance and resiliency across the global supply chain, ultimately benefiting producers and consumers worldwide," according to the company."
Thanks. Usually, Yahoo or Fidelity will produce something.

If they can get their Fort Worth plant up and producing magnets in 2025, I'll wind up with a handsome return. In the meantime, I'm quite happy to just stop hitting myself in the head with that hammer.

It's crazy Roaring Kitty has put out a bunch of tweets there past two days to rile up the gang. He's either a Dodds or he's Elon.
He’s a Musk, he knows exactly what he’s doing. Still makes me laugh that he was a broker and was all about making money on GME not fighting the man. Dude has options setup and he’s making sure they hit. No doubt in my mind that RK has been accumulating for a bit before his first tweet. Dodds was in the audience for RK. I recall him interpreting Cohen’s frog and ice cream tweets in here.

Yeah, it makes sense for them to sell as much stock as possible. They would 100% tank the stock if they sold 72.5M shares when this pump and dump is not happening. With the huge volume, they slipped in the dilution with nobody noticing. I’m pretty sure these zombie companies will be around for a while. These execs will siphon off the cash for their bonuses and then go to market for more shares. Pump and dumps like today are great opportunities to pay off debt or keep cash high enough to last for years. The only losers are the people who think that they are good long term investments. Days like yesterday and today unfortunately keep them invested.
Another article this morning that they swapped debt for 23 million shares. So at least 100 million shares diluted. At this point that might not even be much dilution. I think that’s about the number of shares outstanding pre-pandemic/crazy dilution when the stock popped.

Buying two fistfuls of $NICE today. Insane overreaction to the CEO retiring. He'll still be there for the rest of the year, help find the successor, and stay on the board through 2026. Bargain at this price.

Officially done with Nike. Should have cut bait sooner but I was stubborn. Just listening to my wife struggling to deal with Fanatics yesterday was the final straw for me. What a hideous business with just absurd customer service. F them and good riddance Nike....should have ejected you when you laid off my a bunch of my friends. Rot.

Officially done with Nike. Should have cut bait sooner but I was stubborn. Just listening to my wife struggling to deal with Fanatics yesterday was the final straw for me. What a hideous business with just absurd customer service. F them and good riddance Nike....should have ejected you when you laid off my a bunch of my friends. Rot.
Yea I got rid of them like 6 weeks ago. I usually try to hang in and at least get most of my money back but it felt hopeless.

I do like their shoes though.

Yea I got rid of them like 6 weeks ago. I usually try to hang in and at least get most of my money back but it felt hopeless.

My feet are too fat for them. :bag:

But my kids wear them and wear them out way way way too fast. Screw that.

So they have to buy more? Bullish.

In all seriousness wasn't it weber that we talked about on here, where we all liked it but eventually realized the reliability was a revenue problem since weber fans were using them for 20 years and never buying new grills.

So they have to buy more? Bullish.

In all seriousness wasn't it weber that we talked about on here, where we all liked it but eventually realized the reliability was a revenue problem since weber fans were using them for 20 years and never buying new grills.

I think name recognition might make it a decent trading vehicle for awhile but I was just looking at $WEBR’s financials. Yuk.

I do have a Weber Performer and I use it all the time. Love it. Bought it 8 years ago and they haven’t received any new money from me since. Great product but I need some recurring revenue. Hard pass.
:bowtie:

Users who are viewing this thread