What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stone Case Prosecutors (1 Viewer)

>>ABJ says, she is concerned that 7-9 years is greater than necessary. And would have thought so regardless of the sentencing memo chaos.
...ABJ says she now has to weigh “the disparity between the two recommendations I have in front of me,” the inflated nature of the guidelines, and many other factors. Says it's very difficult to balance them all.<<

>>ABJ calls Trump’s comments on the case “entirely inappropriate,” she will not be influenced by them. But she will not hold them against Stone either. Also says she will not be influenced by pressure from the left from those who want a stiffer sentence.
“The defendant lied about a matter of great national and international significance. This is not campaign hijinks. This is not just Roger being Roger.” “There was nothing unfair, phony, or disgraceful about the investigation or the prosecution."<<

>>“The government’s initial memorandum was thorough, well-researched and supported,” in concordance with the record and DOJ policy. “Any suggestion that the prosecutors in this case did anything untoward” is incorrect.<<
Ahh...so we will hear an apology from Trump and Barr...and those who supported them over these prosecutors any minute...right?

I don’t have any great insight into what the appropriate sentence would be. I expected a mild departure downward from whatever the minimum on the recommended range came out to. Berman departed a bit more than that. From what’s been posted, she obviously took great care to build a careful record. Hard to ask for more than that. 

Stone, Cohen, Manafort, Gates, Flynn, ....  And still, the needle doesn't shift.  How is this corruption acceptable?  

I think 9 minutes will be closer. Suspect that the recent spree of pardons was nothing but smokescreen for immediate pardon of Stone. It would have looked off it was just Stone out of the blue without a recent track record.
I was giving him till after the election, but by the end of the day wouldn't shock any of us either.

After her blathering about all of that she went ahead and did what Barr thought was the right decision.
Blathering?  You mean admonishing the AG and POTUS?

Also...the lawyer guys can chime in on how often a sentence will be less than the rec by prosecution.

But calling this vindication seems to be quite illogical.

After her blathering about all of that she went ahead and did what Barr thought was the right decision.
Jackson agreed with the guidelines recommendations. The sentence was (jail & probation) 5 years, 4 months, and a fine. Stone’s lawyers argued for lying only, roughly 1.5 years, and no jail time. Barr’s replacement team said in court they agreed with the original sentencing recommendation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trump already going after the jury foreman. Very presidential.
Why not...what consequences will he face?  Courts cant touch him...congress won’t and he is still the odds on favorite to win the election.  His supporters not only don’t seem to be bothered by this behavior...but think he is right and cheer it on.

>>Judge Jackson: “He was not prosecuted, as some have claimed, for standing up for the president. He was prosecuted for covering up for the president.”<<
A statement like this makes me question if she understands this case at all.  The whole case was about Stone pretending to be a bigger player than he actually was.  There was no collusion and nothing to cover up....

Users who are viewing this thread