What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Streaming Defense 2015** Week 15 - Playoffs: No time to get cute (1 Viewer)

:oldunsure: Grabbed Broncos in 2nd to last round before Kicker.

• Denver will be shifting to a 3-4 defense in 2015.
  • IMO they have the best pass rush duo in the league in outside linebackers Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware, I'm fully expecting them to lead the league in total sacks. And with sacks, you get turnovers. They finished in the top 10 in sacks and interceptions last year.
  • Not much in kick/punt TD returns though.
  • 3 double-digit scoring weeks in the final 5 games.
  • Wade Phillips was hired to lead the defense.
  • The Broncos also have last year’s first-rounder, Bradley Roby, at corner and this year’s first round pick, Shane Ray, at outside linebacker.
  • The key will be whether or not they can prevent opponents from scoring. They don’t face an elite offense until the Packers and Colts in Weeks 8 and 9, so the schedule is favorable.

• IMO they have the best pass rush duo in the league in outside linebackers Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware, I'm fully expecting them to lead the league in total sacks. And with sacks, you get turnovers. They finished in the top 10 in sacks and interceptions last year.
  • The Broncos also have last year’s first-rounder, Bradley Roby, at corner and this year’s first round pick, Shane Ray, at outside linebacker.
  • The key will be whether or not they can prevent opponents from scoring. They don’t face an elite offense until the Packers and Colts in Weeks 8 and 9, so the schedule is favorable.
I like it but i would have to make an argument that the rams have the best pass rush duo and best or atleast top 3 front 7

Last edited by a moderator:

I like it but i would have to make an argument that the rams have the best pass rush duo and best or atleast top 3 front 7
I could lose that argument, but they were taken 2 rounds earlier. Not my style.

I could lose that argument, but they were taken 2 rounds earlier. Not my style.
yeah i usually stream defense every week. Grabbed KC in round 20 with the last pick of 12 team league. ill just stream with the 9 or so options on the waiver wire every week.

You guys think philly is an every week start? I do.
I hate rostering two defenses, but I do have good feelings about Denver and Philly. I think in weeks 3 and 4, Philly gets Washington and Jets. Then in weeks 5 and 6, Denver gets Oakland and Cleveland, or something like that. Wade Phillips always turns around a defense in his first year on the job. It's the following seasons that they always decline.

The team that jumps out to me is the Raiders, but the lack of chatter here makes me a bit nervous...what am I missing?

Oakland's D was their strength last year, held back by a putrid offense that is likely to improve at least a bit.

Meanwhile, they add Mack and Edwards via the draft, Dan Williams/Curtis Lofton up the middle. I'm not sure whether Del Rio is a positive or a negative - at least he's defensive minded and had some success on the defensive side of the ball.

I almost forgot to mention that they are one of the few defenses available that are at home against a below average QB.
Oakland had the worst scoring defense in the NFL last year, and the worst fantasy defense by traditional scoring as well. They've got some pieces they can build around, but that's about all that can be said for them at this point.
Appreciate the response. Their ranking last year certainly gives me pause. Is last year relevant though? New staff new players and all. I'm hesitant bc I honestly know nothing about their secondary. Not to mention bengals aren't throwing enough to generate those sacks and turnovers. I'll be keeping my eye on this unit for w3/4.

Thoughts on the Browns this week?

I'm really high on Minny's D this year, and was all set to draft them with my next-to-last pick, but then another owner who already had a D snaked me.

I grabbed Indy for the Buffalo match-up, but I don't trust them at all, especially on the road.

God help me, I'm thinking Cleveland vs Jets. Don't really trust them either -- between Ivory, Marshall and Decker, I think NYJ will be at least serviceable -- but I'm counting on a few Fitz INTs. Is that crazy?

Thoughts on the Browns this week?

I'm really high on Minny's D this year, and was all set to draft them with my next-to-last pick, but then another owner who already had a D snaked me.

I grabbed Indy for the Buffalo match-up, but I don't trust them at all, especially on the road.

God help me, I'm thinking Cleveland vs Jets. Don't really trust them either -- between Ivory, Marshall and Decker, I think NYJ will be at least serviceable -- but I'm counting on a few Fitz INTs. Is that crazy?
I swear that fishy "let me grab 2 defenses because I need a backup" nailed me in 2 leagues as well.

One of those I was "autopicked" out of a defense I was targeting LOL.

In one big $$$ league, I had the very last final pick, and a team I never would have guessed to do it, grabbed a second defense right out from under me(next to last pick of the draft/WTF) that I was almost positive would fall to me.

Anyway, I had STL in one league, but their early schedule looks damn brutal in my opinion.

Call me a gambler, but the best of the rest of the litter on the wire (while some monkeys still retain 3 defenses going into the season haha) is Cleveland.

I have Cleveland currently slotted in.

I'm not overly enthused, but thats my gut and I'm rolling with it at this point.

Even though Cleveland can be "Jekyll and Hyde"at times, they are often better than people realize.

They are often "in" most games late, because their defense keeps them there.

I paid more attention to them a few years ago, more so than now, but I don't think its the worst play.

I look for a ton of Ivory running the ball, and I don't see them giving up 35 points or something crazy anyway.

We shall see.

TZM

Never start D against Ryan Fitz in September. Dude is a slinger each year until the weather gets cold and his noodle gets tired. Add in the Chan Gailey effect and you're asking for trouble.

Starting Tennessee in two of three leagues against Jameis Winston in his first career start with a possibly slowed/hobbled Mike Evans. I'm not looking for a shutout, or even for Tennessee to win the game since it is in Tampa, just counting on Jameis holding on to the ball too long for at least 4 sacks or so (strip sack?), and getting rid of it too quickly a time or two for some turnovers. Figure 4 sacks with 2 turnovers and a chance that one of the turnovers goes the other way for 6 is not a bad Week 1 defensive play.

I finally had to pick up a defense, so I'm rolling with Indy given the soft starting schedule.
I have INDY in 3/4 leagues, so count me in on this "stream train" as well. :yes:

In the last of the 4, I have CLE slotted in, as mentioned above.

TZM

I finally had to pick up a defense, so I'm rolling with Indy given the soft starting schedule.
But is Indy a good defense? Just because they play weak opponents doesn't necessarily translate into fantasy success.

I think anyone facing Chicago has a good chance of facing a real disaster of a team this season, for a variety of reasons.

Of course its always a bit of a shot in the dark, especially this early but look at everything in that organization.

Multiple injuries at WR, Martellus Bennett being vocal about being unhappy, and threatening a holdout. ( He has tried to cover this up recently, saying "its all business", and now hes back practicing)

Jay Cutler, well he is likely on his last leg, and if he hits the bench again, I think it may well be the last time there in Chicago.

Just how effective will Forte be? Its hard to bet against this guy and his work ethic and track record, but sooner or later age catches up with you.

I'm not saying I will simply pick the team that faces Chicago every week, but trust me they will be on my radar.......but more important is how do The Bears look after a week or two.

But is Indy a good defense? Just because they play weak opponents doesn't necessarily translate into fantasy success.
Is any defense a good defense when you're talking about streaming weekly defenses? The Seattles, the St. Louis', the Jets of the world are always going to be owned and not available for streaming. The whole idea of streaming is not wasting a draft pick on a defense so you can try and play matchups that more often than not (hopefully) workout and you can get similar point production from your weekly defenses as somebody who spent a late mid-round pick on a top defense.

Whenever I'm faced with a bunch of unattractive streaming options, I remind myself that it probably doesn't matter, and whoever I pick will end up scoring 5-7 points. So I'm trying not to overthink this.

That said, one criteria I do fall back on when faced with a tough decision is who I think is likely to win. Based on that, I'm leaning Indy over Cleveland, because I just don't feel comfortable betting on the Browns to beat the Jets on the road (though it's not like Indy is a shoo-in @ Buffalo).

Whenever I'm faced with a bunch of unattractive streaming options, I remind myself that it probably doesn't matter, and whoever I pick will end up scoring 5-7 points. So I'm trying not to overthink this.

That said, one criteria I do fall back on when faced with a tough decision is who I think is likely to win. Based on that, I'm leaning Indy over Cleveland, because I just don't feel comfortable betting on the Browns to beat the Jets on the road (though it's not like Indy is a shoo-in @ Buffalo).
I have Cleveland going in one league, but its more of a "pick the best of the worst". I do NOT like STL this week, for what its worth.

Ironically, I have INDY in every other money league I have. :yes:

I was hoping for Miami in a few, but they got swiped right before me in 2 instances.

I figure as I may have noted above, we can ride the INDY train. They have Jets, TEN, JAX and HOU in weeks 2-3-4-5.

I agree in that Buffalo may be a tough win, but I don't exactly see Buffalo lighting the scoreboard up either.

Thats one of the key things I look for.

Maybe by weeks 4 or 5 we will be able to snag another decent defense off the wire and have a better idea of who the real defenses are this year by that time.

TZM

JMJ said:
ponchsox said:
Andrew74 said:
Is any defense a good defense when you're talking about streaming weekly defenses? The Seattles, the St. Louis', the Jets of the world are always going to be owned and not available for streaming. The whole idea of streaming is not wasting a draft pick on a defense so you can try and play matchups that more often than not (hopefully) workout and you can get similar point production from your weekly defenses as somebody who spent a late mid-round pick on a top defense.
Are the Jets really a top defense?

JMJ said:
ponchsox said:
Andrew74 said:
Are the Jets really a top defense?
The new GM hired a defensive minded HC & spent $96M in guaranteed money on defensive FAs. We know what they want to be.

zftcg said:

Mathis out for Indy

In the NFL, it is pretty tough to pick what team is going to suck the most right off the bat. Plus, you presumably are drafting a defense that you are going to test the waters on at least the first two weeks. This will be a great thread once we get a few weeks into the season.
I got screwed in one of my drafts for my defense (San Fran autopick wtf?). Came to this thread this morning and took someone's suggestion to go with Tenn D.

Thanks Sharkpool!!!!

My opponent in my big $$ league dropped Ravens & added the Bucs to start against me this wee. :excited: :thumbup:

I really thought the Bucs would show today. Yikes.

Thought about grabbing TEN. Oh well.

No idea if they're actually as good as they looked today, or if that was just Winston, but they could be facing Johnnie (Can't Play) Football next week.

Thought about grabbing TEN. Oh well.

No idea if they're actually as good as they looked today, or if that was just Winston, but they could be facing Johnnie (Can't Play) Football next week.
Right now, the game is hunt down defenses playing the Browns and Bucs. That can get you pretty far.

Denver is available in a couple leagues....... (I actually thought about them in the preseason)

Were they that good yesterday, or was it some fluky happenings....?

I might just have to let go of INDY, from what I saw yesterday that was not something I want to be streaming every week.

More like ....... steaming.

:hot:

TZM

TZMarkie said:
Denver is available in a couple leagues....... (I actually thought about them in the preseason)

I might just have to let go of INDY, from what I saw yesterday that was not something I want to be streaming every week.

TZM
From what I saw, Denver D was ferocious. They were the reason they won the game. Kubiak's offense even with Manning running it looked... slow. And it seemed predictable.

TZMarkie said:

TZM
Options are slim in my league (there are only 10 DEF on the WW) but I'm going to dump Indy and go with TN next week.

One to file away for 3-4 weeks because they're upcoming games aren't good matchups, but Jacksonville has a much better defense than most realize. After the Indy game they have a very juicy middle schedule, and Sen'Derrick Marks will be back by then. They had 45 sacks a year ago. Anemic offense yesterday, but those guys aren't all that bad on the other side of the ball.

Options are slim in my league (there are only 10 DEF on the WW) but I'm going to dump Indy and go with TN next week.
I saw bits and pieces of the TEN/TB game.

Be starting them cautiously going ahead, as they got one pick 6 yesterday that was essentially gift wrapped and helped their stat line.

I'm not saying don't pick them up and give them a go, just temper your expectations a bit on this one.

I'm personally picking up Denver in 2 leagues. (they have KC@ Arrowhead next then they are @ DET, but then it gets nice with MIN, OAK and CLE)

Now if they can only get by Arrowhead and not get killed there............

TZM

Let's get a jump on the waiver wire now that we have some data.

Thursday nights were huge last year. Denver's offense looked shaky but its hard to bet against Peyton two weeks in a row. Still KC at home on a short week against a beat up Denver team could be a desperate play if they're available.

I'll look at availability later to find other picks I like.

Thursday nights were huge last year. Denver's offense looked shaky but its hard to bet against Peyton two weeks in a row. Still KC at home on a short week against a beat up Denver team could be a desperate play if they're available.

KC is on my WW and I agree with your thoughts about that matchup. BAL is also available and they play at OAK next week. Suggs injury is a concern though.

I rolled with Jets this week, can't decide if I want to try them again against Indy, or try to grab Baltimore off WW.

KC is on my WW and I agree with your thoughts about that matchup. BAL is also available and they play at OAK next week. Suggs injury is a concern though.
Yeah but OAK is going to be starting McGloin

I rolled with Jets this week, can't decide if I want to try them again against Indy, or try to grab Baltimore off WW.
Same... The former Ravens owner dropped them & picked up Tampa to start against me week 1, LOL.

Anyway, no T-Sizzle...ehh, even though it is the hapless Raiders. Plus, in this league, it's FAAB bidding only, so 6 other owners might be eyeing the Ravens.

Other than Ravens, one-week DST plays in my main league are: Titans @ Browns / Panthers vs. Texans....maybe Falcons vs. NYG? I'm not really interested in other free agent DSTs in this league.

I am moving on. They played great, but streaming Defense isn't about finding the right defense, it is about finding the right opponent. We can do better than Indy.

Users who are viewing this thread