What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Streaming Defense 2015** Week 15 - Playoffs: No time to get cute (1 Viewer)

Kinda surprised to see the Chiefs so readily available in other leagues. They were among the first 6 DSTs drafted in all 3 of my leagues.

Let's get a jump on the waiver wire now that we have some data.

Thursday nights were huge last year. Denver's offense looked shaky but its hard to bet against Peyton two weeks in a row. Still KC at home on a short week against a beat up Denver team could be a desperate play if they're available.

I'll look at availability later to find other picks I like.
KC is on my WW and I agree with your thoughts about that matchup. BAL is also available and they play at OAK next week. Suggs injury is a concern though.
Yeah but OAK is going to be starting McGloin
With Mcgloin in there, Balt has to be the big pickup of the week.

Miami is a must grab if for whatever reason they're still available. They show as 79% owned in Yahoo leagues.

As for the plays this week:

New Orleans looks like a good bounce back candidate against TB. At home against a rookie QB with offensive line woes. Currently owned in only 2% of yahoo leagues.

Not much else. Watch for some panic drops though. I think Philly could be a great play for the bounce back this week. Dallas loses Dez and will be pressing to keep up with Philly's offense all game. Should make for some sack and turnover opportunities.

Denver is a nice grab for the future weeks if people are leery of adding them at KC. @Det, Minn, @Oak, @Cle weeks 3-6.

Miami is a must grab if for whatever reason they're still available. They show as 79% owned in Yahoo leagues.

New Orleans looks like a good bounce back candidate against TB. At home against a rookie QB with offensive line woes. Currently owned in only 2% of yahoo leagues.

Not much else. Watch for some panic drops though. I think Philly could be a great play for the bounce back this week. Dallas loses Dez and will be pressing to keep up with Philly's offense all game. Should make for some sack and turnover opportunities.

Denver is a nice grab for the future weeks if people are leery of adding them at KC. @Det, Minn, @Oak, @Cle weeks 3-6.
Good calls here. I grabbed the Broncos right after our draft because of that schedule. I hear you on the Saints, but that kind of thinking has burned me before. Yes, young & turnover QB matchups often translate into a very productive DT in FF. But if it's a bad D, not always.

I'm gonna roll with the Panthers one more week. I don't know if they're elite, I'll dump them if they fall off during the month I'm rolling with Denver. But if they continue to get pressure, force turnovers, et al, I might look at how well they pair with DEN. My intention was to stream all year, it's worked really well the last 2+ seasons, but I'm flexible in my approach.

ETA: New Orleans was 31st in our format last week, 32nd in FF scoring a year ago.

Our scoring system is probably more complex than most DT/DST leagues. Besides the traditional stuff (heavy on points allowed, plus onsie/twosies for blocked kicks, sacks & turnovers), we score 0.25 for TFL, 0.50 for 3 and Outs, and a sliding scale for yards allowed. 10 if negative yards, 7 for 0-99, 4 for 100-199, 1 for 200-299, 0 for 300-399, (-1) for 400-499, (-4) 500+. Plus 0.02 per return yard (IOW 1 point per 50.) The net effect is DST is slightly higher value than normal but not at a crazy level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Carr's hand alright? You have to like BAL vs. McGloin if that's going to be a thing.
This always is the oversimplified argument. Play a D against a backup QB. The oversight is that most teams simplify the game plan to accommodate the backup. What I mean is that coaches eliminate the big drop backs and downfield attacking. What you get is a lot of run plays, dump offs in the flats, short passes, and clock management.

All this minimizes sacks and turnovers. You end up scoring 5 pts. Okay I guess, but wouldn't you rather take a flyer on NO facing a gunslinging rookie who's team will have to keep up with Brees? Obviously some more risk. You may only end up with a couple points if (big if) Winston can minimize the turnovers. Maybe depends on your risk tolerance, but I would prefer a defense who may get scored on, but will have the opportunities for mulitple sacks and pick-6's to leapfrog the score you receive for a low scoring game. Other factors I think matter are that NO plays at home, while Baltimore plays at Oak (with no Suggs).

I own the Jets, but obviously do not want to use them the next 2 weeks especially (@Colts week 2; vs. Eagles week 3). My problem is that in this league, we use FAAB only, no $0 bids, so streaming DSTs isn't really feasible; it's more like trying to find multiple week DSTs if possible.

My favorite available one week play for week 2 is Panthers. I'll likely place a secondary bid on Ravens & maybe one of Browns/Titans/Colts/Saints, because I'd rather roll the dice on those crap DSTs than the Jets @ Colts on MNF.

Good calls here. I grabbed the Broncos right after our draft because of that schedule. I hear you on the Saints, but that kind of thinking has burned me before. Yes, young & turnover QB matchups often translate into a very productive DT in FF. But if it's a bad D, not always.

I'm gonna roll with the Panthers one more week. I don't know if they're elite, I'll dump them if they fall off during the month I'm rolling with Denver. But if they continue to get pressure, force turnovers, et al, I might look at how well they pair with DEN. My intention was to stream all year, it's worked really well the last 2+ seasons, but I'm flexible in my approach.

ETA: New Orleans was 31st in our format last week, 32nd in FF scoring a year ago.

Our scoring system is probably more complex than most DT/DST leagues. Besides the traditional stuff (heavy on points allowed, plus onsie/twosies for blocked kicks, sacks & turnovers), we score 0.25 for TFL, 0.50 for 3 and Outs, and a sliding scale for yards allowed. 10 if negative yards, 7 for 0-99, 4 for 100-199, 1 for 200-299, 0 for 300-399, (-1) for 400-499, (-4) 500+. Plus 0.02 per return yard (IOW 1 point per 50.) The net effect is DST is slightly higher value than normal but not at a crazy level.
Naturally you'll want to keep drafted defenses with good matchups. I see Carolina is mostly owned though.

Naturally you'll want to keep drafted defenses with good matchups. I see Carolina is mostly owned though.
I have a claim in for Carolina, I doubt I'll get them.

Very good point, sorry for drifting off topic.

Top sixteen in ownership or current perception (I think this is general consensus - DT/DSTs likely not on WW):

SEA

BUF

HOU

STL

ARI

GB

NE

PHI

BAL

CAR

KC

MIA

DEN

DET

NYJ

SF

(not saying this is the top half of the league's defenses, merely that these probably are rostered)

Of the remaining teams, I like two midwest teams at home this week:

CIN v. SD

PIT v. SF

Neither is widely owned. I almost always like the home team v. a team that's on a long trip, excepting elite teams like NE/SEA. The Chargers have a lot of weapons but the Bengals were a top 8 defense for three years under Zimmer before last year. They're healthier and it's their home opener. I also like the Steelers to rebound from Week 1 with extra prep time.

I think Philly could be a great play for the bounce back this week. Dallas loses Dez and will be pressing to keep up with Philly's offense all game. Should make for some sack and turnover opportunities.
You and I are usually on the same page, but I gotta say I'm very leery of the Philly D after seeing the crappy Atl OL handle their front seven for nearly 60 minutes. Seemed like it wasn't until Philly started dialing up CB/S blitzes before any pressure was generated on Ryan. And now they face the Cowboys uber line. Hard to have confidence this week.

I drafted the Colts D thinking they had a nice soft schedule for the first 4 weeks. They get the Jets at home on MNF but they looked embarrassing against the Bills so I don't know if I can stick with them this week or not. I do have decent options depending on what some other owners do (CAR, NO, KC, TEN and BAL).

I think Philly could be a great play for the bounce back this week. Dallas loses Dez and will be pressing to keep up with Philly's offense all game. Should make for some sack and turnover opportunities.
You and I are usually on the same page, but I gotta say I'm very leery of the Philly D after seeing the crappy Atl OL handle their front seven for nearly 60 minutes. Seemed like it wasn't until Philly started dialing up CB/S blitzes before any pressure was generated on Ryan. And now they face the Cowboys uber line. Hard to have confidence this week.
This is where I am too. I'm probably gonna grab the Saints this week to play over Philly.

I drafted the Colts D thinking they had a nice soft schedule for the first 4 weeks. They get the Jets at home on MNF but they looked embarrassing against the Bills so I don't know if I can stick with them this week or not. I do have decent options depending on what some other owners do (CAR, NO, KC, TEN and BAL).
I did the same thing. Baltimore is available for me at the 4th WW pick and the others with higher priority probably won't take a D. I need a RB more with CJ dinged... :kicksrock:

Carolina, Ravens, and the Titans all seen like solid options. Dropping New England for one of them, and hopefully I can scoop them back up for Week 3 vs the Jaguars.

For those in best ball, how about the 2 Ds in the rookie QB matchup?
For those with slim pickens this week, I just noticed this blurb:

USA Today: Tampa Bay Buccaneers QB Jameis Winston faces a brutal history when he faces Tennessee Titans assistant head coach/defense **** LeBeau in Week 1. Since 1995, rookie quarterbacks are 3-26 with 24 touchdowns and 37 interceptions against his defenses.
In my "best ball" league, Tennessee outscored my mighty defense with JJ Watt, 14-4.

This week it ain't no rookie, but it is Johnny Football. :thumbup:

Not a popular opinion for sure but I saw the Giants get pressure and disrupt Romo early in their game and I believe the Eagles defense is better than NYG. No Dez to draw attention should mean a bit more pressure.

Of course both teams could chalk it up to first week jitters and we'll see a real battle Sunday.

Options are slim in my league (there are only 10 DEF on the WW) but I'm going to dump Indy and go with TN next week.
I saw bits and pieces of the TEN/TB game.

Be starting them cautiously going ahead, as they got one pick 6 yesterday that was essentially gift wrapped and helped their stat line.

I'm not saying don't pick them up and give them a go, just temper your expectations a bit on this one.

I'm personally picking up Denver in 2 leagues. (they have KC@ Arrowhead next then they are @ DET, but then it gets nice with MIN, OAK and CLE)

Now if they can only get by Arrowhead and not get killed there............

TZM
DEN would be a good pickup IMO. I hear what you are saying onTN. I am gun shy after they took a dump on me last year when I picked them up. The only other options that look reasonable would be NO and Cincy.

I guess I'll try for Saints this week and next. Titans have Colts next week and then bye

DEN would be a good pickup IMO.I hear what you are saying onTN. I am gun shy after they took a dump on me last year when I picked them up. The only other options that look reasonable would be NO and Cincy.
I have acquired Denver in 2/4 leagues, and CAR in a third. (we have FCFS rolling waivers, and every dropped player must clear waiver order)

In my last league, they have the more traditional style waivers, in that league I have a claim in for CAR 1st and DEN 2nd.

I am a tiny bit uneasy on Denver, but if we can get past Arrowhead this week with just a few points, say 6-8 I will be fine with that.

Their schedule gets nice in 4-5-6 , but then its stream city from then on.

I have my fear of Arrowhead.

Last year in one league I was ahead by less than a point and started the New England defense vs the Chiefs on a Monday night.

You know the drill, the Pats were blown out 14-41, put up a negative and I lost that weeks matchup.

:wall:

On a better note, I won my last 4 weeks to make the playoffs then won that league, so I had the last laugh. :lol:

If somehow the Denver defense puts up a negative number in Arrowhead this week, I hereby swear I will never start another defense in my ####### life in Arrowhead.

Its that simple.

TZM

Starting Tennessee in two of three leagues against Jameis Winston in his first career start with a possibly slowed/hobbled Mike Evans. I'm not looking for a shutout, or even for Tennessee to win the game since it is in Tampa, just counting on Jameis holding on to the ball too long for at least 4 sacks or so (strip sack?), and getting rid of it too quickly a time or two for some turnovers. Figure 4 sacks with 2 turnovers and a chance that one of the turnovers goes the other way for 6 is not a bad Week 1 defensive play.
You chose wisely.

My picks for this week (not including likely to be rostered Ds)

Bal @Oak

NE @Buf

Ari @Chi

Ten @Cle

Not a fan of streaming road defenses, but I like each of these QB matchups for pick six potential. Pick your poison, frens.

Anybody sticking with Minnesota this week? I know they had a bad week at SF but home opener vs Stafford should be decent and I though Minny would have a good defensive unit this year.

Users who are viewing this thread