What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Streaming Defense** Weeks 14-16 FF Playoffs (1 Viewer)

:hifive:

Picked up Gabriel and started him too over LaFell because of Julio being inactive.

ATL definitely helping to put me in a position to advance after this week.

Sometimes you make the right lucky choices.
I wasn't able to watch the game at all but kept checking on my phone.  Is Atlanta D that good or Rams offense that inept?  Having Leveon Bell and Atlanta F on both playoff teams was gold today.  

Why? Buffalo and San Diego both got shredded today. Bosa got hurt for SD and the Bengals only got one turnover and one sack today.
Bengals d isn't as opportunistic. Either buff or sd.  

Buff played Pitt.  Cleveland is not Pitt.  SD has 2 weeks to get boss healthy from his concussion.  

Rg3 looked absolutely horrible.  The offense was anemic.  Made me feel much more confident starting buff week 15 and sd week 16.   

Don't Noonan said:
I wasn't able to watch the game at all but kept checking on my phone. Is Atlanta D that good or Rams offense that inept? Having Leveon Bell and Atlanta F on both playoff teams was gold today.
Let me put it this way, if you were participating in a local pick-up game tomorrow and had the option of Goff as your QB, you'd decline.

Anyone rolling with Atlanta one more week at home vs. SF? Hyde vs that run D is a little scary.

Other option is GB @ Chi. Barkley has been surprisingly competent, and they get Jeffery back, but if I got them it would be more about betting on the hot team than anything in particular about the match-up.

Well, Cleveland sure looks like the skeleton key here... they are woefully bad.  I don't think the Cinci D is anything special, but man Cleveland's horrible.  Even without major sacks or turnovers, Cinci just finished the week as DST 10 and DST 13 in my league.  I would think Buffalo could pull off the same, and if SD is healthy week 16...

With Atlanta, remember they scored 2 TDs... that won't happen very often (odds are they don't score another DST TD the rest of the season).  Without those, still a very solid performance, but not that dominant.

Bills or Ravens for me week 15, used ATL this week. For once in my life, a streaming option based on match-up actually worked out, they were outscoring my opponents entire team after the sack fumble recovery for TD play  :thumbup:

Looking ahead to Week 16, I currently have SF @ LA, but that's starting to look like the resistible force vs. the movable object. Thinking Tenn @ Jax, although Titans only put up one point when they played Jax at home early this season. Still, just as it's generally a good idea late in the season to bet on the teams who are getting hot, it's also a good idea to bet against the Phone-It-In All-Stars, and Gus Bradley is leading that parade.

Looking ahead... not necessarily in order of preference

Week 15 Options:
Atlanta vs. SF -- lots of smoke about SF just laying down.  After two quick TD drives on Sunday, they went in a shell the rest of the game.  Even with Hyde doing his thing, Atlanta can sell out to stop the run and shut this offense down.

Buffalo vs. Cleveland -- hard to feel awesome about Buffalo's recent string of performances, though they did hold Pittsburgh to 27 points and got 3 TOs.  More concerning is only 3 sacks from the Buffalo D in the past month with only 5 TOs, including yesterday's 3.  Still, Cleveland's offense is completely inept, and Buffalo may be playing for Rex Ryan's job (if he survives until Sunday).  Home game against the worst offense in football.

Green Bay @ Chicago -- Packers are now on a roll with 10, 8, and 19 in my fairly standard league the last 3 weeks.  Now they face Matt Barkley outdoors, possibly in the elements.  Yes, Jeffery returns, but I still think Green Bay can get it done with their backs against the wall.  They've basically got to win out to make the playoffs.  They haven't allowed more than 13 points the last 3 weeks, and have tallied 9 sacks, 6 interceptions, and 2 fumble recoveries in that time.

New York Giants vs. Detroit -- turning in a great performance last night against the previously invincible Cowboys has brought the Giants back to my attention.  They've been a great D for a while, but the matchups were horrible.  While 6 points against Pittsburgh last week wasn't tremendous, they dropped 23 on Cleveland the week before than and picked up another 13 last night, despite missing JPP.  Detroit comes to town next week with Stafford having suffered a torn ligament to a finger on his throwing hand.  Will it matter?  Maybe... can't hurt NYG's chances for another strong game.  12 sacks, 3 picks, and 5 fumbles in the last 3 weeks

Houston vs. Jacksonville -- Betting against Bortles usually pays off.  Houston hasn't been awesome lately, and Jonathan Joseph may still be a long shot, but Houston did just manage to hold the surging Colts to 17 points in Lucas Oil, and the first matchup with Jacksonville resulted in 2 sacks, a pick, a fumble recover, and a DST TD.  Somehow Bortles didn't turn the ball over this week against Minny, which means he's due for a correction against Houston, who needs to keep winning to make the playoffs.

Pittsburgh @ Cincinnati -- Steelers have been on quite a roll the last month with strong games against Cleveland, Indy, NYG, and Buffalo this week.  They've tallied 10 sacks and 5 interceptions in their last 3, holding opponents to no more than 20 points.  On the road isn't ideal, but it's another divisional matchup against the Bengals who are likely to still be without AJG, and Pittsburgh is fighting for their playoff lives.

Looking ahead... not necessarily in order of preference

Week 15 Options:
Atlanta vs. SF -- lots of smoke about SF just laying down.  After two quick TD drives on Sunday, they went in a shell the rest of the game.  Even with Hyde doing his thing, Atlanta can sell out to stop the run and shut this offense down.

Buffalo vs. Cleveland -- hard to feel awesome about Buffalo's recent string of performances, though they did hold Pittsburgh to 27 points and got 3 TOs.  More concerning is only 3 sacks from the Buffalo D in the past month with only 5 TOs, including yesterday's 3.  Still, Cleveland's offense is completely inept, and Buffalo may be playing for Rex Ryan's job (if he survives until Sunday).  Home game against the worst offense in football.

Green Bay @ Chicago -- Packers are now on a roll with 10, 8, and 19 in my fairly standard league the last 3 weeks.  Now they face Matt Barkley outdoors, possibly in the elements.  Yes, Jeffery returns, but I still think Green Bay can get it done with their backs against the wall.  They've basically got to win out to make the playoffs.  They haven't allowed more than 13 points the last 3 weeks, and have tallied 9 sacks, 6 interceptions, and 2 fumble recoveries in that time.

New York Giants vs. Detroit -- turning in a great performance last night against the previously invincible Cowboys has brought the Giants back to my attention.  They've been a great D for a while, but the matchups were horrible.  While 6 points against Pittsburgh last week wasn't tremendous, they dropped 23 on Cleveland the week before than and picked up another 13 last night, despite missing JPP.  Detroit comes to town next week with Stafford having suffered a torn ligament to a finger on his throwing hand.  Will it matter?  Maybe... can't hurt NYG's chances for another strong game.  12 sacks, 3 picks, and 5 fumbles in the last 3 weeks

Houston vs. Jacksonville -- Betting against Bortles usually pays off.  Houston hasn't been awesome lately, and Jonathan Joseph may still be a long shot, but Houston did just manage to hold the surging Colts to 17 points in Lucas Oil, and the first matchup with Jacksonville resulted in 2 sacks, a pick, a fumble recover, and a DST TD.  Somehow Bortles didn't turn the ball over this week against Minny, which means he's due for a correction against Houston, who needs to keep winning to make the playoffs.

Pittsburgh @ Cincinnati -- Steelers have been on quite a roll the last month with strong games against Cleveland, Indy, NYG, and Buffalo this week.  They've tallied 10 sacks and 5 interceptions in their last 3, holding opponents to no more than 20 points.  On the road isn't ideal, but it's another divisional matchup against the Bengals who are likely to still be without AJG, and Pittsburgh is fighting for their playoff lives.
Think you need to add Oakland as a top choice home vs SD who absolutely bleeds points to opposing defenses and may be without Melvin Gordon.

Anyone rolling with Atlanta one more week at home vs. SF? Hyde vs that run D is a little scary.
I am.  Limited options in my league though.  If Atlanta can jump out to an early lead, SF will have to pass the ball and that would mostly remove Hyde from the equation.  Plus it looks like SF has mailed it in this season while Atlanta still has a lot to play for at home.   

I am.  Limited options in my league though.  If Atlanta can jump out to an early lead, SF will have to pass the ball and that would mostly remove Hyde from the equation.  Plus it looks like SF has mailed it in this season while Atlanta still has a lot to play for at home.   
Would like to reuse ATL, and I think being at home helps the D a little. I just think this may be both a bit of  trap kind of a game and a game that SF can surprise.

As far as a trap game, given the huge win against a lackluster squad, ATL could be looking past the 9ers a little. I know ATL is still tied with the Bucs for the lead of the NFCS, and with a tied divisional record and a split in their series, they can't afford to take any team for granted. But can't help feeling a very confident ATL team may underestimate what their ground came can do, and that Kaep, while mediocre at best, can still move and hurt you with his legs and arm.

But SF's D has been a doormat in both phases of the game. Can see ATL letting off the gas slightly here.

If BUF isn't around, some other options might be:

GB @ CHI -- GB has its mojo back, and while CHI still can move the chains (especially on the ground), GB should be a clear favorite here.

HOU v JAX -- Houston D isn't scaring anyone, but it's the Jags

JAX v HOU -- risky, but it's a divisional game against a JAX team that has nothing to lose, whilt HOU needs to hold off the surging Titans.

DET @ NYG - bit of a long putt but Giants are on a bit of a scoring drought over the last two games now. If DET can look to match up wtih the Gints in ways the Cowboys and Steelers did, might pay off.

Would like to reuse ATL, and I think being at home helps the D a little. I just think this may be both a bit of  trap kind of a game and a game that SF can surprise.

As far as a trap game, given the huge win against a lackluster squad, ATL could be looking past the 9ers a little. I know ATL is still tied with the Bucs for the lead of the NFCS, and with a tied divisional record and a split in their series, they can't afford to take any team for granted. But can't help feeling a very confident ATL team may underestimate what their ground came can do, and that Kaep, while mediocre at best, can still move and hurt you with his legs and arm.

But SF's D has been a doormat in both phases of the game. Can see ATL letting off the gas slightly here.

If BUF isn't around, some other options might be:

GB @ CHI -- GB has its mojo back, and while CHI still can move the chains (especially on the ground), GB should be a clear favorite here.

HOU v JAX -- Houston D isn't scaring anyone, but it's the Jags

JAX v HOU -- risky, but it's a divisional game against a JAX team that has nothing to lose, whilt HOU needs to hold off the surging Titans.

DET @ NYG - bit of a long putt but Giants are on a bit of a scoring drought over the last two games now. If DET can look to match up wtih the Gints in ways the Cowboys and Steelers did, might pay off.
Houston's D hasn't been great for fantasy, but they haven't played terribly.

Stay far away from Jax. You never want to bet on a phone-it-in team.

As for Detroit, I hate playing anyone against the Giants, because you never know which Eli will show up.

Think you need to add Oakland as a top choice home vs SD who absolutely bleeds points to opposing defenses and may be without Melvin Gordon.
Good point - Rivers has been really rough lately, and SD just surrendered 5 sacks, 3 picks, and 2 fumbles, plus a safety to a Carolina D that had been gouged for 40 and 29 in its last two games.  Plus Carolina only had a total of four sacks and 3 TOs the prior two weeks combined before yesterday.

Starting NYG oven Denver, but could also pick up ATL... after NYG performance last I might just roll with them vs Detroit  with little running game and a banged up Stafford.

I was looking at playing MIA over DEN this week.  Other options in the wire are GB (even for week 16, too), ATL and OAK. Any opinions?

I am holding NE and ATL at this point.  ATL was big yesterday.  GB is on the wire.  NE is a hold since they have the sinking Broncos and struggling Jets.  NE is scheduled to be in the roster against the Jets in 2 weeks so my decision comes down to ATL vs. GB for next week.  ATL has the 49ers and GB  has the Bears.  The 49ers and Bears are similar in that their offenses only have good RBs.  I like GBs D better so I think I am going to try to snag GB for next week.     

The Falcons D more than made up for the stench that was Russell Wilson, Mike Evans and Jay Ajayi in Week 14 for me. 
Past performance is not always indicative of future returns. 

Given momentum, is ATL a safer play? I think the same risk is still there. Still, an above average matchup.

As for those asking about MIA, was thinking about it but not sure I'm totally confident that Matt Moore doesn't make this harder on the MIA D. Moore actually did fairly respectably filling in for Henne in 2011, having multiple 3-TD games. Think he scored a few himself on the ground.

But even if Moore is serviceable, they are facing two division rivals with lots of tape on all personnel, and some on Moore himself. Figure they just stack the box (which both Ds can do against the run) and make Moore beat them through the air, a recipe IMHO for short drives. 

Might actually be more confident taking NYJ and BUF against MIA than MIA D against those offenses.

Removed.

EDIT: Ok, I'm stupid.  I'm sick and wasn't thinking clearly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having a tough time deciding whether Jeff Fisher getting fired is going to be a good thing for the ATL defense play or bad.  I'm leaning toward this will make the players more motivated but will still result in a good play as ATL racks up points and SF is forced to throw.

ATL has gotten me one more week so I should roll with the one that got me here.
Am I missing something?  What's Fisher's firing going to have to do with Atl's D?

There is almost too much choice this week ! I'm eying up TB, ATL, BUF, NYG, OAK and GB all available with decent matchups. Leaning TB or BUF just now.

Gb is an excellent choice.  I'm generally against starting road D's, but Chicago rarely scores over 20 points and gb should be able to generate turnovers.  Weather will be terrible (snow and temp in low teens)

Tb defense has been on fire but I think I'd stay away from them on road against Dallas.

I just dropped Philly and will be rolling with Houston after losing out on ATL faab bidding

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up ATL for last week and this week.  I like ATL even more this week now that Vance McDonald is out.  If Torry Smith can't clear the concussion protocol to play this week then that leaves the likes of Kerley, Patton, Streater, and Celek (and RBs) to catch passes.  I'll like what I'm seeing here.

Are we starting Miami with confidence Saturday night if we have em?  Nice week this week but seemed a bit flukey. Prior to that they were slumping. 

Like ATL, HOU and GB. All three units have good potential to produce. I know that one thing seems consistent in the NFL - teams that get hot at the end of the year and in the post season have opportunistic defenses surface in December.

ATL gets Kap at home without McDonald and a weak WR unit. This might be a fast rack for the Falcons. I think key here is the history of these two teams when they were in the same division. This has all the makings of a beat down as the Falcons steam roll SF to position for div title. It also has the smell of a trap. This is the gamble. I like them to play big at home this week on both sides of the ball. Maybe not the number they had last week but they could strike a TD as the 49ers might have checked out.

HOU gets JAX at home. We know the deal with JAX and the turnover machine that Bortles is and can be in this game. The HOU defense has been average this year and came to life at Indy last week. This is a nice play.

GB in Chicago. They are predicting a high of 15 in this game. Blustery and cold. I am seeing sunny which makes sense for the brutal cold but would not rule out lake effect (keep an eye on the weather WRT to snow). These division games can be hotly contested. The Bears defense has been good at home and if it wasn't for an inept offense, they might have pulled out two more wins (JAX and TEN). GB is fighting for a playoff spot and a shot at a div title. This would be a big div win for them. They have struggled to run the ball but can air it out. The Bears have Howard, Meredith and get Jeffery back but this type of cold impacts the game with a tilt towards low scoring affairs. I think winds will be calm but watch the weather. This is a good play.

As we know, FF is all luck. Who knows what happens but these look like good streaming options.

I picked up ATL for last week and this week.  I like ATL even more this week now that Vance McDonald is out.  If Torry Smith can't clear the concussion protocol to play this week then that leaves the likes of Kerley, Patton, Streater, and Celek (and RBs) to catch passes.  I'll like what I'm seeing here.
Can ATL stop the run though? That's where SF is staying competitive. Hyde had a huge game last week, and I think he can do it again to ATL this coming week.

I'm sure I speak for many when I say I haven't gotten this right all year.  And lucky to be in 2nd round of playoffs --

Detroit was the play last week --meh, 5 pts -- sill have MIA and SD -- maybe MIA this week -- HOU, OAK, BAL, TB and NYG available -- Oakland sounds interesting, especially if Gordon is out.

How does everyone feel about the Patriots Defense this week? 
Just an opinion, NE D seems to tighten up in December. They are tough at home. Road date here. They could be a solid play but Denver might be in a must win and still has good receivers. I like them this week but I wonder if they can get big play fired up. Speculation.

My streaming defense for Week 14 was the Bengals vs. Cleveland.

My streaming defense for Week 15 is the Bills vs. Cleveland.

I have a waiver claim to nab the Chargers defense for Week 16... who face Cleveland.

Users who are viewing this thread