What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (7 Viewers)

Just watched 2 documentaries this weekend:

We Jam Econo: The Story of The Minutemen - very interesting doc if you were into the punk / hardcore scene in the 80's. I really don't like their music. I had a cassette of them when I was in HS. I listened to it a bunch of times, but just didn't like the music, but I knew they garnered a lot of respect in their time and I wanted to find out the deal. Bassist Mike Watt is a very interesting character and was able to hold my attention, but it was a little slow. D. Boon the lead singer, was also an interesting character to learn about. Doc did a good job of explaining their story, and how a lot of their material was misunderstood. Also pointed out how they didn't really fit into the 'hardcore' category, or even 'punk' for that matter. I still don't like their music, but I respect their individuality.

Epicly Later'd - tells the story of John Cardial, a pro skateboarder that was on top of his game in the early 90's. I was into skateboarding in HS. Graduated in '91, then didn't skate much after that. Cardial got popular after I pretty much stopped skating so I never heard of him before this. If you were into skateboarding in the late '80s early 90's this is an excellent doc. Cardial is a mad man and has done some crazy stuff in his life. Touring foreign countries, sleeping in tents and sleeping bags on the beach, skating any spot they could hit. Very cool doc.

Started watching Loud Soft Loud a doc about the Pixies reunion in 2004. It was OK, but I had some chores to do and didn't really watch it close. If you are a fan, I am sure you would like it. Otherwise, it seemed a little slow, but I wasn't really paying full attention.

Last edited by a moderator:
Army of Shadows and Le Cercle Rouge are both from French director Jean-Pierre Melville and were done in 1969 and 1970. The first revolves around the underground movement in Europe during WWII, pretty intense film. The 2nd is more of a crime noir classic and I think you will enjoy both of these films. The style is something i like, not so many cut aways here and there.

Cliffhanger looks great in HD...Die Hard on a mountain but still pretty good.

Charade and Dial M for Murder are both good films that were done a long time ago.

The Verdict was another well told film that they don't make anymore.

The Verdict was another well told film that they don't make anymore.
One of my favorite films.
Paul Newman, my favorite actor...look up "cool" in the dictionary, you'll find his picture.I just watched him in Slap Shot again for the umteenth time as well as The Sting over the weekend. Have "The Verdict" in the queue.

Wish Netflix had more of his stuff available thru the Instant Streaming option.

Watched The Odessa File also, pretty good film with Jon Voight hunting an ex-Nazi Concentration Camp Commandant in post-war Germany.

Boyz N the Hood is a pretty damn good movie. Even today.
Sometimes I wonder if they dont know, dont show or just dont care about whats going down in the hood:pours40: for RickyI used to answer the phone Who dis. Didnt go over well with my parents and didnt last too longGreat movie

After a brief absence, Farscape is back on instant. I can watch that sci-fi show anytime. Still don't understand why they don't have the 4th/last season on streaming though.Finally started Rescue Me: Season 5. Big :lmao: They brought the funny back after a boring season 4. The first episode of season 5 I think I laughed more than the entire season 4 put together.
Season 4 of Farscape is now available. :thumbup:

So I noticed a change in the way TV shows are listed on the Xbox last night. Instead of having to go to say Dexter season 1 and watch all of those and then search and go to Dexter season 2 as seperate entries; now it just reads "Dexter" and lists all episodes available regardless of season (when you get to season season 3 & 4 it says "Dvd Only".)

And they don't do this for every show, just a few of them in my queue (Tudors, Rescue Me, some others.) Much better this way.

So I noticed a change in the way TV shows are listed on the Xbox last night. Instead of having to go to say Dexter season 1 and watch all of those and then search and go to Dexter season 2 as seperate entries; now it just reads "Dexter" and lists all episodes available regardless of season (when you get to season season 3 & 4 it says "Dvd Only".)And they don't do this for every show, just a few of them in my queue (Tudors, Rescue Me, some others.) Much better this way.
If you Q multiple seasons of a show it groups them.

What is the deal between Netflix and Starz? Netflix shows everything Starz is running every month, including original content after it premieres? Do they have deals like this with other stations?

'Leeroy Jenkins said:
What is the deal between Netflix and Starz? Netflix shows everything Starz is running every month, including original content after it premieres? Do they have deals like this with other stations?
They have a few series on there that update each episode of a current season after they air. The last I watched like that was the second season of Legend of the Seeker.

Zombie Strippers Pretty much get what you expect. :thumbup: Worth it for the golf ball/pool cue scene alone.
There's another one called Zombies Zombies Zombies subtitled Strippers v. Zombies that's slightly more entertaining. Acting is worse, but it's so awful that it is pretty funny in an MST3K kind of way.

So I noticed a change in the way TV shows are listed on the Xbox last night. Instead of having to go to say Dexter season 1 and watch all of those and then search and go to Dexter season 2 as seperate entries; now it just reads "Dexter" and lists all episodes available regardless of season (when you get to season season 3 & 4 it says "Dvd Only".)And they don't do this for every show, just a few of them in my queue (Tudors, Rescue Me, some others.) Much better this way.
If you Q multiple seasons of a show it groups them.
That was the funny thing though, most of the ones that are doing this I only had 1 season of them currently queued. It just automatically started doing it. Pretty neat.

Loved Futurama Season 5.

Started season one of Bones with my girlfriend. I liked it. It's watch an episode here and there good, but not "drop everything and watch all the episodes in a row" good. Still a much more entertaining show than I thought it would be.

Watched Flesh & Blood this weekend. The doc about Steve Haworth the body modification artist.

A lot of shocking footage much like Modify that I saw a few months back, but very entertaining IMO.

Not for the squimish, the scene where the guy gets a hole through his sack about made me turn it off. They do quite a bit on suspension hanging from the skin as well.

Anybody got suggestions to replace Bones? My wife and I just blazed through 5 seasons in 2 weeks.
Wire in the Blood, a six year series on BBC. I mentioned it in the first post of this thread, but it's still available on watch instantly. It's very dark, but very very good. :thumbup:

Anybody got suggestions to replace Bones? My wife and I just blazed through 5 seasons in 2 weeks.
Just wrapped up Lost Season 6 last night. Excellent show!Thinking of starting The Tudors next.
Tudors is good, just finished Season 2 but that's all they have streaming at the moment.It actually lead me to start watching a 1971 BBC mini-series about Elizabeth I. Elizabeth R

I'm almost a little :bag: with how much I'm liking it. Great performance by Glenda Jackson.

Just a heads up for anyone that hasn't seen it. Firefly is expiring April 1st. I think there's only 13 episodes, so it's possible to see them all by then if you have the time. Highly recommend it if you haven't seen it.

Just finished watching the 6 part series Everest. Was decent. Kind of makes me want to climb Everest, in spite of the frostbite and deaths and hypothermia.

I'm not exactly getting my money's worth here...

last Watch Instant activity = Jan 12 (Ghostbusters 2)

last DVD returned = Feb 28 (Winter's Bone)

'Leeroy Jenkins said:
I'm curious if they have a similar deal with Showtime since Dexter, Weeds, Californication, The Tudors, etc. all seem to end up on instant play. My friend has been raving to me about the new series "Shameless," so I was hoping that would pop up on instant shortly after the season.

Just went back and watched Buena Vista Social Club.

Really enjoyed it (again). Highly recommend if you haven't seen it.

Some good "guy" stuff on Netflix WI now:Banksy's Coming to DinnerCouple of Bill Hicks DVDs as well.
Ya know, I dam near worshiped Hicks. I watched both in the last couple of days. Though different in style, it reminds of Carlin. Topical, hip, on target in their day. I enjoyed it, he will always be great to me. Just not what I remembered. I am 20 years older - meh, old guy gruffness I guess.

Mesrine 1 & 2 are solid.

Micmac is enjoyable. Also, if you like Micmac, Delicatessen and Amelie from the same director are both worth viewing.

Was kind of bored lately and decided to watch Firefly. Heard good things and there's only 14 episodes total not including the film that was released afterwards, and which I thought was entertaining. I figured if it was at least as entertaining as the movie I could get through 14 episodes when I didn't have anything better to do.

Gotta admit this is a really great show, better than the movie. Great writing, characters, dialogue, and acting for a TV show that I was expecting to be campy and cheesy. I actually care about the characters now that I've seen some real character development and well several well written stories. Can't recommend it enough. Just the right mix of humor, drama, action, and sci-fi. Only 7 episodes in right now and impressed enough to suggest that if you haven't already seen this to check it out or add it to your que ASAP.

Watched "Paul McCartney Really Is Dead: The Last Testament of George Harrison"

It's a fake documentary where a "special package" was sent to the film's production company. The package contains two cassettes from George taped right after he was attacked in his home. The idea is that Paul really was killed in 1966, MI5 and The Beatles covered it up, created a False Paul and carried on. And when John (in 1980) and George (in 1999) both wanted to come forward, MI5 went after them.

I am sure that a hardcore Beatles fan will find a ton of holes in the "story" but I found it to be an entertaining way to explain all the album cover clues, song clues and other bits of Beatles trivia into one place.

Not to be taken seriously at all.

Some good "guy" stuff on Netflix WI now:Banksy's Coming to DinnerCouple of Bill Hicks DVDs as well.
Ya know, I dam near worshiped Hicks. I watched both in the last couple of days. Though different in style, it reminds of Carlin. Topical, hip, on target in their day. I enjoyed it, he will always be great to me. Just not what I remembered. I am 20 years older - meh, old guy gruffness I guess.
Yeah, I watched Sane Man the other night and still liked it a lot. However, if you didn't live during that time, I don't know how it would translate. His stuff about mall culture and other pop culture references might not make a lot of sense to younger kids today.Still much more impressive to me than most comedians today (or back then). I just think that his style had a certain gravitas to it. It's not just a bunch of jokes, but more of an overall commentary on society. Sometimes it's not even funny, per se, but more like "yeah, that's really true."

Users who are viewing this thread