What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (3 Viewers)

I watched The Wire for 3 1/2 seasons before finally quiting.  It was average at best
See, I think that most cop shows ruin The Wire before you even start it. We're so conditioned to expect gun shots and explosions, that when The Wire doesn't resort to those old cliches we are disappointed. 

See, I think that most cop shows ruin The Wire before you even start it. We're so conditioned to expect gun shots and explosions, that when The Wire doesn't resort to those old cliches we are disappointed. 
I really liked The Wire - I just didn't see it anywhere near The Sopranos for me.  

Also liked BB, Better Call Saul, Deadwood, Boardwalk Empire better - but it's a top 10 for me easily.  

I think (hope) I'm getting near the end of Troy Fall Of A City. It's not very good. I don't know why I'm slogging it out, particularly since I know (at least I think I do) how it ends. Maybe I'm hoping they go past the end of the Illiad and show Agamemnon getting offed in a nasty way - the guy playing him is terrible. His acting range runs the gamut of yelling to yelling even louder with all the veins popping out of his neck and temples. Many other lackluster performances in this poorly written show.

Last edited by a moderator:
For any Steve Martin/Martin Short fans....their comedy show was solid.  Short gets on my nerves on occasion and a little too much banjo but overall , pretty funny

Binged Barry the other day.

I avoided it because of the lukewarm buzz.  It was about what I expected.  Was decent.  Don't think I'll watch the next season though.

This guy:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2810593/

was a revelation though.  Hilarious performance.  Expect to see big things from him.

Just started watching "Travelers " 

Still on Season 1, loving it

How much alcohol would it take for someone to blackout the previous night?

I don't know. I just use heroin
:lol:

Binged Barry the other day.

I avoided it because of the lukewarm buzz.  It was about what I expected.  Was decent.  Don't think I'll watch the next season though.

This guy:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2810593/

was a revelation though.  Hilarious performance.  Expect to see big things from him.
There was a separate thread here for Barry, with similar comments - "good not great" - and everyone loved NoHo Hank.  I liked it.  I've got it quite a bit above average, but strangely, I'm not much of a fan of the NoHo Hank character.  Funny at first, but I was pretty much done with him about mid way through. 

Bull Dozier said:
Does the Wire take some time to catch steam?  I've tried watching several episodes, but it hasn't caught me as amazing television yet.  I want to like it and get into it, but maybe my expectations are too high (though people regularly say it is one of the best shows ever, so I guess high expectations are warranted).
I felt the same way watching it originally, thought, "very good show, but #1 all-time, no".  

I still don't have it #1, but by the time I reached the end, looking back on it collectively it was a great ride. In my top ten.

Ladybird was an ok teen zeitgeist snapshot. Nice performances and decently written, allowing personal and interpersonal imperfections to shine. 

We watched Thor ragamaroll. Wasn't Thor a kind of dour and serious fella? Felt like I was watching Rupert Pupkin in one long fever dream sequence.if I didn't know better, I'd say Jeff Goldblum was there too. And Matt Damon. Don't know that it was bad, but was kind of.. confused.

For any Steve Martin/Martin Short fans....their comedy show was solid.  Short gets on my nerves on occasion and a little too much banjo but overall , pretty funny
I watched the other night. It was okay and I laughed a few times. But I fear it's because it's "nostalgic humor" for me - since these were the funny people (and SNL) for me growing up. (And no matter how stupid a movie it is, I am a Three Amigos fan.)

We watched Thor ragamaroll. Wasn't Thor a kind of dour and serious fella? Felt like I was watching Rupert Pupkin in one long fever dream sequence.if I didn't know better, I'd say Jeff Goldblum was there too. And Matt Damon. Don't know that it was bad, but was kind of.. confused.
I watched last night. Yeah, Thor has had some good humor in the Marvel Movie universe (unlike in the comics if I recall correctly) but that movie was practically a comedy.

i was expecting a little more myself, but entertaining enough and there were some good scenes.

The Staircase on Netflix is pretty legit.  3 episodes in an am digging it.  
When you're done, check out the "Criminal" podcast on the case.  Maybe it was "Sword and Scale"... Anyway, the guy's neighbor has a theory he thinks explains the case. 

Apparently there were some tiny feathers found in her head wounds and he theorizes that she was attacked by an owl and then wandered over to the staircase.  Compelling argument IMO

Yeah the verdict on The Staircase is mind boggling. Amazes me how many idiot juries get assembled in this country. The prosecution team was comprised of a couple of scumbags.
An aside...but even in the FFA, you mention jury duty and a huge percentage of posters want nothing to do with it. So.. I'm less mindbottled about verdicts and jury selections like this.

It’s good. Have a hard time agreeing with the verdict though.
just finished it.  

hard to imagine that much blood could come from just a fall, but yeah can't see the verdict there.  i didn't know anything going an and even i could tell the SBI guy was way too confident about his findings.

When you're done, check out the "Criminal" podcast on the case.  Maybe it was "Sword and Scale"... Anyway, the guy's neighbor has a theory he thinks explains the case. 

Apparently there were some tiny feathers found in her head wounds and he theorizes that she was attacked by an owl and then wandered over to the staircase.  Compelling argument IMO
The BBC podcast, Beyond Readonable Doubt?  I’m 3 episodes in and it definitely has a different slant than the doc.

saintfool said:
"Guardian of the Galaxy 2" was not as good as the first. It was more of a "throw the entire kitchen sink" school of writing. Felt like a lot of padding somehow. Too comfortable with itself. 
The worst Marvel movie in recent memory.

Do we talk Showtime here?

If so, Patrick Melrose is freaking awesome. Benedict Cumberbatch plays a tortured drug addict. Based on the novels. Two thumbs way up.

I think (hope) I'm getting near the end of Troy Fall Of A City. It's not very good. I don't know why I'm slogging it out, particularly since I know (at least I think I do) how it ends. Maybe I'm hoping they go past the end of the Illiad and show Agamemnon getting offed in a nasty way - the guy playing him is terrible. His acting range runs the gamut of yelling to yelling even louder with all the veins popping out of his neck and temples. Many other lackluster performances in this poorly written show.
So bad. I watched the whole thing too, no idea why. Really really awful. 

I'm not really enjoying season 2 of Marcella but I enjoyed season 1 enough to be excited to see the new season released. If you do crime dramas like me, it's worth a several binge sessions, I think. I hear Line of Duty is must see Brit crime drama tv so I might do an Acorn sub for $5 a month and binge through it and a few others that aren't available elsewhere. 

I'm not really enjoying season 2 of Marcella but I enjoyed season 1 enough to be excited to see the new season released. If you do crime dramas like me, it's worth a several binge sessions, I think. I hear Line of Duty is must see Brit crime drama tv so I might do an Acorn sub for $5 a month and binge through it and a few others that aren't available elsewhere. 
We're a couple into this. Enjoyed S1, but this is a hilarious Trainwreck...TWD style. Does it get less goofy?

Sounds awful. Good thing you're almost finished. 

If I'm starting a series, I can almost always spot awfulness in a few minutes, and that's all I'm willing to commit.

Users who are viewing this thread