What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (2 Viewers)

That part is funny, but I watched an episode or two yesterday and was totally underwhelmed. The kids suck, Patton Oswalt wasn't any good either and "Dennis" was terrible.  Maybe I'm just tired of the "####tty person in important role" plot device (funny how he and Sweet D got the same type of roles from ASIP)… but usually I like them.  Will watch a few more, but I don't see a winner in this show. 
First episode was good. Second was flat. 

Just watched the first few episodes of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. 

Her first set was comedy gold  :lmao:  and her finish was  :wub:
I just completed the series. It's really good, and actually got better as the season went along.

I realize the main underlying premise is a woman trying to break free of the constraints 1950's/60's society enforced on women back then (and probably as a statement on the constraints that still exist due to power imbalances etc.), but I found it surprising that they'd focus things on a Jewish family. I thought the days of the Jewcentric comedy/slice of life piece were pretty much done and gone. So many references that I doubt most non-jews will get. I mean, Jews currently make up about 1.5% of the U.S. population. Seems like a small demographic to focus on. I know back in the day when Jews dominated the industry it was more prevalent, I guess that's still somewhat the case but I find it surprising.

Anyway, really good show, see it if you haven't. Also I agree with @TheDirtyWord that Scalhoub is fantastic in everything he's in - he even made Wings watchable (at least when he was in a scene). Jane Lynch did a great job in her guest appearance too.

Curious about this as well. Is this documentary style with terrible re-enactments mixed in or just a straight period drama? Can't be as bad as that awful Troy show I watched a few months ago. 
To add to Groovus' post, IMO the re-enactments are the weakest part, but overall it's a disappointing show.  I would have preferred to make it a more traditional documentary and get rid of the terrible "acting".

Amazon doesn’t have anywhere near Netflix’s depth, but for my money Maisel, Patriot, Catastrophe, and Bosch are at least as good as Netflix’s top shows. Hopefully the Jack Ryan series will be good too. 

jdoggydogg said:
First episode was good. Second was flat. 
I watched the full season on the NBC app (for reasons not worth mentioning I had no other TV sources for a week). The show got much better as it moved along. It's pretty funny for a Network sitcom and they actually do start to develop the characters (especially the students) as the show moves along. 

Gr00vus said:
Just watched the first few episodes of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. 

Her first set was comedy gold  :lmao:  and her finish was  :wub:
I just completed the series. It's really good, and actually got better as the season went along.

I realize the main underlying premise is a woman trying to break free of the constraints 1950's/60's society enforced on women back then (and probably as a statement on the constraints that still exist due to power imbalances etc.), but I found it surprising that they'd focus things on a Jewish family. I thought the days of the Jewcentric comedy/slice of life piece were pretty much done and gone. So many references that I doubt most non-jews will get. I mean, Jews currently make up about 1.5% of the U.S. population. Seems like a small demographic to focus on. I know back in the day when Jews dominated the industry it was more prevalent, I guess that's still somewhat the case but I find it surprising.

Anyway, really good show, see it if you haven't. Also I agree with @TheDirtyWord that Scalhoub is fantastic in everything he's in - he even made Wings watchable (at least when he was in a scene). Jane Lynch did a great job in her guest appearance too.
I liked the show, didn't love... but I felt like it spent a lot of time trying to convince me not terribly funny stuff was funnier than it was, through actors laughing or outright saying how funny things were. some solid performances in it and interesting getting a sense of the zeitgeist of that era NYC/US.

RC94 said:
To add to Groovus' post, IMO the re-enactments are the weakest part, but overall it's a disappointing show.  I would have preferred to make it a more traditional documentary and get rid of the terrible "acting".
Bummer. I'll temper my expectations. I prefer facts over drama. Sometimes they do reenactments without actual dialogue, using narration. That works well, imo.

I liked the show, didn't love... but I felt like it spent a lot of time trying to convince me not terribly funny stuff was funnier than it was, through actors laughing or outright saying how funny things were. some solid performances in it and interesting getting a sense of the zeitgeist of that era NYC/US.
I felt the same as you in this regard. But the draw of the show wasn't really the stand up routines for me. They have some really interesting characters, do a good job of straddling the line between making them real vs. caricature (I think the mom and the inlaws cross the line in to caricature, though the mom did become quite real in the last few episodes) for the most part, the interactions between the characters are really good, and the pace is excellent. They're able to capture some pretty significant emotion and import in 30 seconds where other shows spend minutes. I guess that speaks to good direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neo said:
Make sure to check out Tusk if you are interested in watching the worst movie ever made. Some shock value to it but just awful. 
The Kevin Smith movie? His last few movies have been very strange. Have to go back quite a few years to find his last good movie.

Bummer. I'll temper my expectations. I prefer facts over drama. Sometimes they do reenactments without actual dialogue, using narration. That works well, imo.
Agreed.  When it supports the narration and doesn't interfere with the documentary, that can work well.  This is half TV show and half documentary, so they wind up doing neither particularly well IMO.

ETA - it's not a terrible show overall, but not nearly as good as I was hoping it would be.  I only got a few episodes in and decided to watch something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah just bizarre. I guess it's a grotesque comedy?  I couldn't believe Johnny Depp was in it. 
Bizarre is a good word for it. Depp is in it and so is his daughter. Smith's daughter is in the movie as well. I think Smith has said this movie is part of his Canadian (Canuck) movie trilogy. Yoga Hosers is another one, not sure if the 3rd one has been released yet. 

facook said:
Always Sunny peeps moving on makes me sad.  One of the most consistently lol funny shows I've ever watched.  It's Seinfeld for the post-modern era.
it was one of those shows where every character was funny with their own thing. there was no weak link. maybe sweet Dee, but even she had her moments.

Amazon doesn’t have anywhere near Netflix’s depth, but for my money Maisel, Patriot, Catastrophe, and Bosch are at least as good as Netflix’s top shows. Hopefully the Jack Ryan series will be good too. 
Big fan of Patriot.  Wife and I just finished Absentia, was an interesting watch.  There’s a good chance we’re gonna power through Vikings from the start prior to catching up with season 5 this weekend.

Good lord!  I just forced myself to watch season 1 of The Expanse in its entirety.  The concept hooked me - colonization of the solar system 200 years from now, but the storytelling, dialogue, and the acting were indescribably bad. I'm tempted to cancel my Netflix for a month to make a point, and cleanse.

I just finished season 1.  I liked it.  I'm not good at doing reviews or talking things up, but it was my kind of show.  I would say comparable to "The Killing"

Its an anthology, so season 2 will be a different story completely, I guess. 

Need to start something new.  Thinking about these, in order of preference.  Thoughts?

Sharp Objects
The Rain
The Sinner
Broadchurch

I just finished season 1.  I liked it.  I'm not good at doing reviews or talking things up, but it was my kind of show.  I would say comparable to "The Killing"

Its an anthology, so season 2 will be a different story completely, I guess. 

It is, although has the same detective and so far, season 2 is very good. :thumbup:

badmojo1006 said:
Haven't been impressed by Amazon's Electric Dreams. The few episodes I saw were OK, but never grabbed me like Black Mirror 
Same.  I ended up only watching a few.

El Floppo said:
Dunno. We have the Amazon prime viewing service...nothing extra on top of that.
There were two options that showed up on the search menu, the first “The Prisoner” $28  or something close for the season. The second option for “The Prisoner” was free. Not sure if they are different or the same show. 

Never heard of the show but gonna give the free one a try. 

There were two options that showed up on the search menu, the first “The Prisoner” $28  or something close for the season. The second option for “The Prisoner” was free. Not sure if they are different or the same show. 

Never heard of the show but gonna give the free one a try. 
I linked it 9 posts above yours...

Users who are viewing this thread