What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (8 Viewers)

I'm about to finish watching The Wire for the fifth time.

100/10. Greatest show ever. Gets better every watch. If you've never seen it get out of your Platonic cave.
I started watching this about 6 months ago. I am just about done with season #3. It's been really good but not sure if it hits the greatest show ever accolades. Some of that might be because of how outdated it is in terms of the technology but that has been an interesting throw back looking at it as somewhat of a period piece. It definitely has a lot of great characters and how they are tying together has been interesting to see in the progressions over the seasons.
This tells me that you're watching this show the wrong way. It's not actually a police procedural, even if it looks like one superficially.

Under the Banner of Heaven (Streaming on Hulu)

7-episode mini-series true crime drama, based on the double murder of a wife and infant child.
From IMDB: "A devout detective's Mormon faith is tested as he investigates a brutal murder seemingly connected to an esteemed Utah family's spiral into LDS fundamentalism and their distrust in the government.

I wanted to like it, but it just fell short. Ran too long. Dragged painfully at times. However, I really liked Andrew Garfield as the lead detective and Gill Birmingham (from Yellowstone) as his partner. They're performance was really good, and kept me tuned in. If you have any interest in Mormonism or understanding it, you might find it to be worth your time. This goes into detail about the beginning of the religion through flashbacks and they tie the founding of the religion into the how a particular family became extremists.

It wasn't awful, but I can't recommend it.
No, it's awful.

I mean, watching any show 5x is at least as weird as not liking the Wire.
Have you eaten at your favorite restaurant at least five times?
Is that a 60 hour time commitment that is exactly the same experience every time? Hey, I’m glad you enjoy it. I like the Wire too but I don’t think it’s crazy to not love it either.
Eh, I can now watch it as general background noise while I'm doing other things or winding down in bed. So yeah it's 60 hours or whatever but it's broken up and spread way out over months. I'm in hotels a lot for work so usually I'll need something to put on from like 9:00 - 10:30 as I finish work for the night.

I still love it and find myself just putting it back on any time over mediocre shows I haven't seen. For instance, I've recently tried to get into The Peripheral, Slow Horses, etc. and while they're okay I often will choose The Wire over them.

I mean, watching any show 5x is at least as weird as not liking the Wire.
Have you eaten at your favorite restaurant at least five times?
Is that a 60 hour time commitment that is exactly the same experience every time? Hey, I’m glad you enjoy it. I like the Wire too but I don’t think it’s crazy to not love it either.
I enjoyed The Wire and thought it was good and entertaining. I can see how some people love it, and I can see how others can't get into it. For me, it was one of any number of shows that I thought was good. Can't say that I will run out and rewatch it anytime soon. Maybe someday if my wife goes out of town. It definitely wouldn't make my list of favorite shows. I have recommended it to some people (but not to other folks I know likely wouldn't like it).

This tells me that you're watching this show the wrong way. It's not actually a police procedural, even if it looks like one superficially.
Outdated technology is just an observation of different times and the general feel of the show. It just makes it seem like an old show (which it is). Doesn't take away from the story or the characters at all. Just an observation of the struggles of the characters. It's actually an interesting part of the struggle at times of the cat and mouse game of the parties involved.

Outdated technology is just an observation of different times and the general feel of the show. It just makes it seem like an old show (which it is). Doesn't take away from the story or the characters at all. Just an observation of the struggles of the characters. It's actually an interesting part of the struggle at times of the cat and mouse game of the parties involved.
I watched The Wire for the first time about 10 years ago and thought it was dated back then. I can't imagine watching it now. Don't get me wrong, its a good show but I cant imagine watching it more than once.

Under the Banner of Heaven (Streaming on Hulu)

7-episode mini-series true crime drama, based on the double murder of a wife and infant child.
From IMDB: "A devout detective's Mormon faith is tested as he investigates a brutal murder seemingly connected to an esteemed Utah family's spiral into LDS fundamentalism and their distrust in the government.

I wanted to like it, but it just fell short. Ran too long. Dragged painfully at times. However, I really liked Andrew Garfield as the lead detective and Gill Birmingham (from Yellowstone) as his partner. They're performance was really good, and kept me tuned in. If you have any interest in Mormonism or understanding it, you might find it to be worth your time. This goes into detail about the beginning of the religion through flashbacks and they tie the founding of the religion into the how a particular family became extremists.

It wasn't awful, but I can't recommend it.
No, it's awful.
That's fair. :lmao:

I recently rewatched the Wire and my liking of it improved a lot the second time. I think it's main issue in terms of popularity is that it doesn't have a lot of "WTF just happened OMGOMG" moments that a show like Breaking Bad of even the Sopranos had. It's powerful and gritty with amazing writing and acting, but I'm not going to be talking about it at the watercooler the next morning.

Reactions: Zow
Preview of History of the World Pt II I just saw really looks like a bad Drunk History ripoff.
history of the world part 2 is an all time classic
Do you mean Part 1?
Whatever the new thing coming out on Hulu is. Prequel, sequel, I, II, III, part two part two…

Link

edit: The preview mostly just showed the actors and named the historical figures they were portraying. The lack of jokes in the preview made me suspect that there aren’t any.

Last edited:
Preview of History of the World Pt II I just saw really looks like a bad Drunk History ripoff.
history of the world part 2 is an all time classic
Do you mean Part 1?
Whatever the new thing coming out on Hulu is. Prequel, sequel, I, II, III, part two part two…

Link

edit: The preview mostly just showed the actors and named the historical figures they were portraying. The lack of jokes in the preview made me suspect that there aren’t any.
Can't believe it took so long to make a second one. I'll watch but probably 20 years too late in the making.

1923 is the worst show I’ve seen since….Yellowstone. I suspect there’s a trend there. I won’t be back for season 2.

Somehow 1883 was amazing but the other shows that guy makes are horrid imo.
Started strong with Sicario and has now spread himself too thin.
Personally, I give more credit to Villeneuve for Sicario being great. That was filmed beautifully
This is fair. How about Hell or High Water? Also a great script.

1923 is the worst show I’ve seen since….Yellowstone. I suspect there’s a trend there. I won’t be back for season 2.

Somehow 1883 was amazing but the other shows that guy makes are horrid imo.
Started strong with Sicario and has now spread himself too thin.
Personally, I give more credit to Villeneuve for Sicario being great. That was filmed beautifully
This is fair. How about Hell or High Water? Also a great script.
Thought that movie was very fun.

Not streaming, but I had some airplane movie time. I chose:

Bodies, Bodies, Bodies - I liked this. It reminded me in some ways of Sissy - early 20s friends meet up in a vacation house, deaths ensue, but both movies did a good job of subverting the genre a bit.

Barbarian - well done, but pretty paint-by-numbers. I guess it did fool us a bit early on, but while I thought this was well made, I don’t see why I heard so much about this movie. Also, while I’m generally happy to suspend disbelief, there was a egregious physics foul late in the movie. I also think the timeline didn’t add up, but I might just be dumb.

Confess, Fletch - should have been worse than it was. Hamm clearly loved the character and captured the ild vibe well. Good to see the Italian actress from Master of None again. Good plane movie to have on while playing a game on my phone.

Nope - hmm. I expected better. It was fine, it looked cool, but I was hoping for some deeper meaning. Maybe I missed some depth that was there, but it seemed pretty straightforward.

Wakanda Forever - sure, a Marvel movie post-Avengers, just big and fairly enjoyable but nothing profound.

Confess, Fletch - should have been worse than it was. Hamm clearly loved the character and captured the ild vibe well. Good to see the Italian actress from Master of None again. Good plane movie to have on while playing a game on my phone.
I agree that it was better than it I thought it was going to be. I had very low expectations and thought it was ok. Nothing like the original Fletch and as long as you didn't try and compare them it was a fine movie to occupy your time.

Just finished S1 of Peaky Blinders - had been wanting to watch it for a while but I'm always a bit hesitant to start another 6+ season series, just such a time commitment. Didn't realize that it was only 6 episodes per season until I started it up, so already knocked out the first one while flying this week. Really enjoying how immersive it feels, it just drops you into their world with no explanation or "last time here's what happened" type recap. Reminds me of how The Wire didn't explain much at all to the viewers, it trusted their audience to be smart and figure out what's what as the story unfolded.

I have no idea if Sam Neill is Irish or if he's just learned the accent, but he sounds exactly identical to the 100% Irish next-door neighbor I had growing up in elementary school.

Just finished S1 of Peaky Blinders - had been wanting to watch it for a while but I'm always a bit hesitant to start another 6+ season series, just such a time commitment. Didn't realize that it was only 6 episodes per season until I started it up, so already knocked out the first one while flying this week. Really enjoying how immersive it feels, it just drops you into their world with no explanation or "last time here's what happened" type recap. Reminds me of how The Wire didn't explain much at all to the viewers, it trusted their audience to be smart and figure out what's what as the story unfolded.

I have no idea if Sam Neill is Irish or if he's just learned the accent, but he sounds exactly identical to the 100% Irish next-door neighbor I had growing up in elementary school.
He's a Kiwi.

He's a Kiwi.
He was born in Northern Ireland and lived there until he was 7 . . . and then became a Kiwi.

He's a Kiwi.
He was born in Northern Ireland and lived there until he was 7 . . . and then became a Kiwi.

He would also one day like to visit Montana.

He's a Kiwi.

He would also one day like to visit Montana.
And study dinosaurs.

Finally into season 4 of The Tudors. My wife likes historical dramas with royal trappings and it is certainly that. There's lots of sex, pageantry, intrigue, double-crossing, and testosterone it in but it's not very well-presented and is repetitious.

[character(s) walk into room]
Conversation ensues
[character(s) walk out of room]
4 seasons of that.

I've tried to find interesting things to watch and can summarize them here: boobs and silly hats.
So we refer to this one as "T**s and Hats"
Finally finished. I won't be watching that again. The final episode was particularly bad.

Mr. Inbetween (Streaming on Hulu)

I'm almost through the third and final season. It has some short comings in quality story lines but overall, I love it!
Really enjoy the relationships he has with his brother, his daughter his boss and his pal.
I'm disappointed I have almost completed it.

if you don't mind shows with a hit man running around killing someone new every other episode, I highly recommend.
Really good show. I'm going to watch it again in awhile. Has one of the best final scenes of any show ever. That smile..............
Couldn‘t agree more, Ray just grows on you and just can’t help but root for him. Too bad there are only 26 episodes total for the 3 seasons, absolute great series.

He's a Kiwi.
Thanks. I always try to resist the temptation to google or imdb a show and its actors while I'm in the middle of it; don't want to be spoiled by seeing "Sam Neill - Peaky Blinders - 12 episodes" or something like that so I usually wait till I'm done with the series to then investigate it and its cast.

He's a Kiwi.
Thanks. I always try to resist the temptation to google or imdb a show and its actors while I'm in the middle of it; don't want to be spoiled by seeing "Sam Neill - Peaky Blinders - 12 episodes" or something like that so I usually wait till I'm done with the series to then investigate it and its cast.
Same

I spoiled a few shows doing this.

The Consultant on Prime

Weird and strange and I'm more hooked as it progresses.
Christoph Waltz is awesome.

I agree that it was better than it I thought it was going to be. I had very low expectations and thought it was ok. Nothing like the original Fletch and as long as you didn't try and compare them it was a fine movie to occupy your time.

I enjoyed it. I thought Hamm did a really good job with the character. His delivery was so different that when I first started watching I wasn't even catching how funny some of the lines were. If anything it made me realize how Jim Carrey-ish the originals were with Chevy. Which I am not trying to disparage the original here, just saying how different the style was. I'm glad they didn't try to recapture that style. I can't imagine who could pull it off, certainly not Hamm.

Binged through both seasons of Alice in Borderland. Incredible show. Incredible ending.

Loved the show, but the ending fell flat for the wife and I. Too drawn out I think, and while the ending leaves you pondering some it quickly passes unlike something like Inception for instance.

I just binged both seasons and I thought it was amazing. The ending explanation was bound to be a bit of a let down I think. Seemed almost unavoidable. But I appreciated that it provided a relatively clear resolution rather than something ambiguous and annoying. As for the meat of the show itself it sort of amazes me that this preceded Squid Games but it was Squid Games that became the Netflix game of death phenomenon. The games in Alice were so much more intellectually interesting and thought provoking. And the weaving in of personal backstories into the game play and resolution is as good or better, imo. Anyway, I’m glad I took a chance on it while looking for a new show. It’s really, really good. And Chishiya is probably one of my favorite characters of the past year.

Binged through both seasons of Alice in Borderland. Incredible show. Incredible ending.

Loved the show, but the ending fell flat for the wife and I. Too drawn out I think, and while the ending leaves you pondering some it quickly passes unlike something like Inception for instance.

I just binged both seasons and I thought it was amazing. The ending explanation was bound to be a bit of a let down I think. Seemed almost unavoidable. But I appreciated that it provided a relatively clear resolution rather than something ambiguous and annoying. As for the meat of the show itself it sort of amazes me that this preceded Squid Games but it was Squid Games that became the Netflix game of death phenomenon. The games in Alice were so much more intellectually interesting and thought provoking. And the weaving in of personal backstories into the game play and resolution is as good or better, imo. Anyway, I’m glad I took a chance on it while looking for a new show. It’s really, really good. And Chishiya is probably one of my favorite characters of the past year.
I did not like the YA turn and bailed shortly afterward. But I agree that this show is at least worth trying. And I especially agree about the games themselves being a lot more engaging.

I did not like the YA turn and bailed shortly afterward. But I agree that this show is at least worth trying. And I especially agree about the games themselves being a lot more engaging.

At what point was the YA turn? The love story? I mean the violence was pretty darn graphic throughout.

At what point was the YA turn? The love story? I mean the violence was pretty darn graphic throughout.
I'm talking about the part where they reach the beach and meet Hatter. Somebody in some other thread (maybe this one) likened it to a YA plot, which I thought might have been literally true -- I'm not sure what the source material for this show is like.

I don't mean that as a put-down or anything. I just liked the first few episodes of the show better, when it seemed like more of a gritty, dystopian SF show that committed to really weird premise, kind of like Cube. Expanding the world to bring in a social power struggle just wasn't the plot development that I was looking for.

I'm talking about the part where they reach the beach and meet Hatter. Somebody in some other thread (maybe this one) likened it to a YA plot, which I thought might have been literally true -- I'm not sure what the source material for this show is like.

I don't mean that as a put-down or anything. I just liked the first few episodes of the show better, when it seemed like more of a gritty, dystopian SF show that committed to really weird premise, kind of like Cube. Expanding the world to bring in a social power struggle just wasn't the plot development that I was looking for.

If you bailed at that point, I would recommend that you revisit it and give it another shot. Given your response, there will likely be some elements that turn you off, but some of the games you missed are really good.

Chris Rock is live on Netflix right now.
Didn't hold back about the Oscar incident.
No, he didn't. He gave Will Smith a verbal beatdown.

Honestly though, considering he waited over one year to comment on the incident, I wish he did something more constructive than basically call Will Smith a ***** and claim he has selective outrage. Instead, with his intro and his build up to his finale where, again, he just bashes Will Smith but doesn't add anything thought-provoking, it seemed more like high school revenge than anything that is actually thought-provoking.

Overall I found the special to be good but not great.

Just watched the first episode of "Rain Dogs". Enjoyed it thoroughly. Then had that "Ah ****, it's on HBO" moment when I went to watch more episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread