What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (4 Viewers)

Silo on Apple+ getting good reviews...any FBG hot takes on this?
Really liked the first two episodes.

I read the book series a few years back (FBG recommended) but didn’t remember too much going into the episodes.

They did an awesome job visually to help me remember the story. Basically, it looked very much like how I saw it in my head when I first read it.

SWAT got canceled. It wasn’t great, but it was enjoyable enough. Apparently, it was co-owned by CBS and Sony, and neither one wanted to share anymore. They only want solely owned properties for streaming. :rolleyes:

Silo on Apple+ getting good reviews...any FBG hot takes on this?
Really liked the first two episodes.

I read the book series a few years back (FBG recommended) but didn’t remember too much going into the episodes.

They did an awesome job visually to help me remember the story. Basically, it looked very much like how I saw it in my head when I first read it.

First episode is pretty faithful to the book though I do have some gripes about how they established life in the silo. Not quite as claustrophobic as I envisioned and moving to other areas is the silo seems a bit too easy. But so far so good.

Beef was interesting. Will probably keep me from acting on my road-rage impulses for a little while at least.
we're 6 torturous episodes in and i'm going to fork my internal organs out if this continues. only keep going because if my wife starts a show she will watch the entire series even if it's 14 seasons and she hates every bleeding second of it.

we won't watch anything else together until this is over. she'll watch other shows solo, but if we sit down together for a show, it will be Beef until it's over.

i'm not going to make it. might throw the Roku in an incinerator so i don't have to watch any more.

sorry, @The Gator

Netflix is removing Bordertown from their lineup on May 9, so if you want to watch a good Nordic noir series now's the time. The main characters, especially the 3 family members, are extremely well-written and -acted. For me the ending was just gut-wrenching, but there's a heck of a good, creepy story along the way. Set in Finland, near the Russian border. 3 seasons, 31 hour-long episodes total. The main character, police detective Kari Sorjonen, is one you'll remember.
I hope someone caught this before it's gone. We just finished watching it after watching it a couple years earlier and unlike many series it was better this time around.

Nordic noir is usually a police drama set in a bleak, cold northern setting with a lead detective who for [reasons] neglects his/her personal/family life due to over-dedication to solving bleak, cold, northern sick crimes. In this one the lead detective is a high-functioning autistic guy who has managed to hang on to his extremely intelligent wife and extremely intelligent daughter throughout his career. They know how he is, they've incorporated that into the way the family functions and dysfunctions.

All 3 seasons are multiple sets of 2- or 3-episode murder mysteries, a lot of them kind of sick. But there is a recurring villain throughout the 3 seasons, and almost all of the mysteries along the way are engrossing. The lead actors/actresses don't change from season to season so you get a thoroughly good look at how the detective's family functions as a unit and as individuals. Since probably nobody here will watch it, the detective's wife dies at the beginning of season 3, and his ability and that of his daughter to function after her death is a main focus of season 3.

It's gripping, especially the end where he doubts his ability to protect his daughter without his dead wife's help. Very well-acted. I'll watch it again in 2-3 years when I've forgotten it enough.

Anyone else ever watch The Last Ship? It was originally on TNT from 2014-2018, now available on Hulu and HBO Max. Essentially an end of the world pandemic show before the actual real life pandemic. Focuses on a Naval ship trying to develop a vaccine with a ton of action. Even my wife enjoys it and will watch multiple episodes in a row. I had never heard of it, but it’s really entertaining.
When it first came out I started but lost interest for some reason. After my rewatch of Justified I might jump into this one.
It's Wool (silo) day. Two episodes are out.
Been waiting for this since I read the series, pretty pumped about it.

we're 6 torturous episodes in and i'm going to fork my internal organs out if this continues. only keep going because if my wife starts a show she will watch the entire series even if it's 14 seasons and she hates every bleeding second of it.
The last episode is horrible - so you have something to look forward to.

Want to continue to prop up Lucky Hank.
Episode 6. The scene when the mom tries to arbitrate between the daughter and son in law is great. I watched it, then rewound it and watched it again.
The scene where he finally meets with his father. It was somewhat predictable, but Odenkirk's acting response to what was unfolding was nothing short of spectacular.
The relationship with his co-workers is so ridiculously realistic.

Bravo! Great show! Great writing! Can't recommend it enough.

Yeah this show is pretty good, although I haven’t been giving it my full attention when I watch
I'm almost done with episode 5 and I'm still in the stage of what am I watching here? Not sure how I feel about it, but it does keep my attention.

Man, Lucky Hank is good, but the back half of the season turns pretty dark and awful melancholy. I think the show is starting to depress me, even though I objectively think it's good.
Watched the finale. The series had ups an downs but overall there was so much I liked about it. And I thought the ending was satisfying.

Finally had a chance to watch The Diplomat. The trailer made me think it might be kind of a RomCom Dramedy. Whatever that is, I'm not entirely sure. Glad I watched it. It was decidedly less comedy than I expected. I did like it. I liked the casting too! Good season ending cliff hanger but not so great, I'm sitting on the edge of my seat to see next season, although I will certainly watch.

Finally had a chance to watch The Diplomat. The trailer made me think it might be kind of a RomCom Dramedy. Whatever that is, I'm not entirely sure. Glad I watched it. It was decidedly less comedy than I expected. I did like it. I liked the casting too! Good season ending cliff hanger but not so great, I'm sitting on the edge of my seat to see next season, although I will certainly watch.
Definitely has some romantic/comedy elements to it. I liked it a lot.

Having now finished it, I wish there had been even more of those elements. Keri Russell running around and yelling at people got old for me after awhile.

I thought it had some of the same overall feel as House of Cards but not quite as serious in tone. Just a lot of the back room maneuvering and people out for themselves trying to get where they want to go. I was very pleasantly surprised as I wasn't expecting much and really enjoyed it.

I thought it had some of the same overall feel as House of Cards but not quite as serious in tone. Just a lot of the back room maneuvering and people out for themselves trying to get where they want to go. I was very pleasantly surprised as I wasn't expecting much and really enjoyed it.
Thats what I likened it to. A less serious version of House of Cards.

yeah, it wasn't bad. I'd give it about a 7.5 out of 10

Beef was interesting. Will probably keep me from acting on my road-rage impulses for a little while at least.

we won't watch anything else together until this is over. she'll watch other shows solo, but if we sit down together for a show, it will be Beef until it's over.

i'm not going to make it. might throw the Roku in an incinerator so i don't have to watch any more.

sorry, @The Gator
What did you think of that wild sex scene? Wink and nod to the room at the wife?

Saw a Man Called Otto over the weekend on Netflix. Enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. The female lead was very good.

My wife was balling...agree it was better than expected, but my expectations were low.
I'm going to assume you mean she was bawling, unless Tom Hanks really does it for her.
There were a few scenes were I had to stop the movie it was getting to me. There was also a scene where I don’t remember laughing so hard.

Thank you. You've convinced me to not watch it.

The Diplomat was OK. I've liked Keri Russell since the Americans. It's watchable. Her hubby is the best character on the show I think.
Wife mentioned From..said she liked it so far. Anyone check it out yet? Worth it?

The Diplomat was OK. I've liked Keri Russell since the Americans. It's watchable. Her hubby is the best character on the show I think.
Wife mentioned From..said she liked it so far. Anyone check it out yet? Worth it?
The 1st season of From is very good and creepy. I can't see the 2nd season since I don't get MGM+ (the 1st season is on Prime).

I watched about 3 episodes, but was annoyed and stopped. It was one of those shows where nobody told anyone the key piece of information they needed to know. People would spend hours off screen with people who knew wtf was going on without being told. They just needed some laminated cards to hand everyone who showed up to explain what they knew about the place.

sorry, @The Gator
What did you think of that wild sex scene? Wink and nod to the room at the wife?
she fast forwards through sex scenes :mellow:

sorry, @The Gator
Afraid of the unknown?

sorry, @The Gator
Afraid of the unknown?
she's never seen a grown man naked. the shock of it all would be too much strain.

just finished Severance

Would recommend

We celebrated with an egg party, which was coveted as ****. Whilst listening to defiant jazz, of course.

I now strive to enjoy each of my streaming shows equally, without showing any preference over the others.

I watched about 3 episodes, but was annoyed and stopped. It was one of those shows where nobody told anyone the key piece of information they needed to know. People would spend hours off screen with people who knew wtf was going on without being told. They just needed some laminated cards to hand everyone who showed up to explain what they knew about the place.
I powered through the first 3 episodes and frankly thought it was terrible. When I got home from work my wife was reminding me to check it out. She really liked it. Now I am questioning my 26 years of marriage to her.

Just finished Sanctuary on Netflix. It’s a Japanese series centering on a defiant rebel entering the traditional world of sumo. Sometimes it feels like the series doesn’t know what it wants to be, shifting from almost slapstick comedy to some pretty dark dramatic scenes. But in the end, I found it an incredibly interesting watch.

Knightfall (Netflix)
This may have been mentioned on this thread a long time ago. It's 2 seasons and 18 total episodes from 2017-2019.
Action series on the final days of the Templar Nights and the Holy Grail.
I didn't have any grand expectations when I started it, I just wanted background noise while I worked.
It's not some high-end HBO quality programing, but it was a real pleasant surprise. Good story lines. Excellent villains, with revenge action and a satisfying ending.

im into season 2. digging it. some of the stuff is kinda corny but overall I am enjoying it

Really like Silo so far
It's been good so far. I was worried id be feeling like Id be just waiting around for the reveal/mystery solving... But the narrative structure has worked well so far to keep me engaged. So many logistical questions though... Which is good.

Barry is really losing me. This last episode was painful.
I binge watched the entire series for Barry, Ted Lasso, and Succession last year. All 3 were awesome and I was looking forward to their final seasons this spring.

Barry has sucked every episode, Succession has sucked every episode except for the 2 when ********** died, and Ted Lasso has sucked every episode except for the trip to Amsterdam and the one prior. I can't figure out if binge watching skews my perception that greatly or if all 3 have actually gone to **** this year.

It probably doesn't help I discovered Mr Robot a few weeks ago, so all 3 of those shows have had to compete with the total adrenaline fueled mind **** that Sam Esmail and Rami Malek have sent me on.

Users who are viewing this thread