What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (4 Viewers)

Barry is really losing me. This last episode was painful.

Painful as in bad or as in disturbing/hard to watch?

I've only seen the first episode this season and haven't been excited to keep going because it's almost too dark for me.

I know it's not a show, but Ben Affleck and Matt Damon's "Air" was released on Amazon Prime Video yesterday, watched it with my son who just got home from college last night. Just a good story/character-driven movie with no superheroes, no CGI. Was very enjoyable. As someone who grew up in the 80's, it was a nice nostalgia trip. My son couldn't figure out why I was chuckling to myself half the time. He's a big "shoe" guy, so he liked it as well.

Painful as in bad or as in disturbing/hard to watch?

I've only seen the first episode this season and haven't been excited to keep going because it's almost too dark for me.
Just really dumb. I can't believe this is where they thought the show was headed all along. It's like they ran out of ideas or any concept of how to wrap up a series with this plot line.

Want to continue to prop up Lucky Hank.
Episode 6. The scene when the mom tries to arbitrate between the daughter and son in law is great. I watched it, then rewound it and watched it again.
The scene where he finally meets with his father. It was somewhat predictable, but Odenkirk's acting response to what was unfolding was nothing short of spectacular.
The relationship with his co-workers is so ridiculously realistic.

Bravo! Great show! Great writing! Can't recommend it enough.

Yeah this show is pretty good, although I haven’t been giving it my full attention when I watch
I'm almost done with episode 5 and I'm still in the stage of what am I watching here? Not sure how I feel about it, but it does keep my attention.

Man, Lucky Hank is good, but the back half of the season turns pretty dark and awful melancholy. I think the show is starting to depress me, even though I objectively think it's good.
Watched the finale. The series had ups an downs but overall there was so much I liked about it. And I thought the ending was satisfying.
I've watched 5 episodes and I'm enjoying the show. But, I find the number of commercial breaks on AMC maddening. :angry: The story just starts to flow and.... more commercials. I guess I'm spoiled with all the streaming platforms. I tend to watch those shows first and then watch Lucky Hank. Interesting to see a couple of "Silicon Valley" cast members on the show.

Last edited:
AIR: A Story of Greatness (Amazon Prime)

The story of Nike landing Michael Jordan and the creation of "Air Jordan". I found it to be pretty entertaining in a unique sort of way. Some bad acting by a number of main players, and they sort of made Phil Knight look like a goof. I don't know anything about him, but I can't imagine he's the goof they made him out to be. The Peter Moore character was interesting. Had never heard of him before and he seemed influential in some pretty important parts of the story.

The story of Nike landing Michael Jordan and the creation of "Air Jordan". I found it to be pretty entertaining in a unique sort of way. Some bad acting by a number of main players, and they sort of made Phil Knight look like a goof. I don't know anything about him, but I can't imagine he's the goof they made him out to be. The Peter Moore character was interesting. Had never heard of him before and he seemed influential in some pretty important parts of the story.

One of my favorite films of the year.

Viola getting well-deserved, early awards buzz, but she nails absolutely everything...she's one of the best period.

I also thought Damon was exceptional.

Saw A Man Called Otto over the weekend on Netflix. Enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. The female lead was very good.

My wife was balling...agree it was better than expected, but my expectations were low.
I'm going to assume you mean she was bawling, unless Tom Hanks really does it for her.
There were a few scenes were I had to stop the movie it was getting to me. There was also a scene where I don’t remember laughing so hard.

pretty good

the original Swedish film (A Man Called Ove 2015) was awesome as well, was an Academy Award nominee in the foreign language category - looks like Prime is streaming it, saw it years ago in a theater

Viola getting well-deserved, early awards buzz, but she nails absolutely everything...she's one of the best period.

how is the language? trying to decide for 12 year old

to be honest I don't notice stuff like that since I'm not a parent...didn't seem bad to me, but I wouldn't notice either.

Lot of good shows leaving us this next month. I’ve loved Barry’s final season. Liked seeing how they lived in those pathetic surroundings 8 years later. It’s always been a ridiculous show.

This season of Succession is maybe their best imo. Top-5 show for me all-time.

Mrs. Maisel has been fine, really loved last week’s episode where they explored Susie’s past 30 years but that show took a step back after their first two seasons.

This season of Ted Lasso has sucked and they were right to wrap it up. They got nothing left to say.

This season of Ted Lasso has sucked and they were right to wrap it up. They got nothing left to say.

Thank you.

I’ve been reading people fawning over it in the dedicated TL thread and wondered if I had taken crazy pills. Loved the first two seasons, but like Mythic Quest - great S1, highly recommend - overstayed.

Rare when they know when to end it, the temptation to wring every last cent out of a franchise is too great.

I wasn’t paying that close attention, but it’s rated R and there is no nudity or violence, so I’m guessing if it’s something you’re really wanting to be careful with I would lean toward not for a 12 year old. But I would add I also tend to notice when a movie has pervasive language, and this movie did not jump out at me as being over the top offensive.

Finally had a chance to watch The Diplomat. The trailer made me think it might be kind of a RomCom Dramedy. Whatever that is, I'm not entirely sure. Glad I watched it. It was decidedly less comedy than I expected. I did like it. I liked the casting too! Good season ending cliff hanger but not so great, I'm sitting on the edge of my seat to see next season, although I will certainly watch.

I'm halfway through episode 4 and really enjoy it. The characters are pretty great and the show is very fun.

We watched it last night. We have an almost 14-year-old and there was bad language (a bunch of f-bombs that my son has heard a billion times already) but really nothing beyond that. It's heavy on '80s nostalgia and definitely geared toward Gen-Xers, but we all enjoyed it. Story moves pretty fast and appropriately equates the design of a basketball shoe with successfully coming up with a cure for cancer.

We watched it last night. We have an almost 14-year-old and there was bad language (a bunch of f-bombs that my son has heard a billion times already) but really nothing beyond that. It's heavy on '80s nostalgia and definitely geared toward Gen-Xers, but we all enjoyed it. Story moves pretty fast and appropriately equates the design of a basketball shoe with successfully coming up with a cure for cancer.
:lmao:
Accurate assessment!

STILL: A Michael J. Fox Movie (Apple+)

I'm only a couple of years younger than he is, so I grew up watching him on Family Ties and then later Spin City with all the 80's movie success in between. It was hard to watch. But man does he have a great mind set for dealing with his situation! Maintains a great sense of humor. Honest about his struggles. Surrounded by a great family. Definitely worth the watch if you have Apple streaming.

In the past week I watched a handful of movies I'd seen a number of times before:

The Breakfast Club
Still great. So many great quotes.
Anthony Michael Hall was comedy genius....,
  • counting the number of suspensions Bender is getting,
  • being pissed he didn't know thew clock on the wall was off.
  • his facial expressions throughout
IMDB has some great comments in the Trivia section for this movie.

Rocky & Rocky 2
Rocky was really great. Still holds up, although the fight scenes were really bad.
Rocky 2, meh.

Stronger
The Jeff Bauman story from the Boston Marathon bombing. Only my second time watching this. Jake Gyllenhaal was great. When he gets brought out to throw out the first pitch of the Sox game I started tearing up. To me, it's so weird to be emotionally moved by a movie. Actors playing roles. It makes no sense to me, so when it happens, I just give credit for a production and great storytelling. Whenever I see an animal hurt in a movie, I just keep telling myself "It's a movie.....it's a movie....it's a movie....it's not real". But this movie made me emotional....maybe more for my love for the city of Boston.

Richard Jewell
The Atlanta Olympic bombing story. (no....I'm not getting any ideas)
Paul Walter Hauser and Sam Rockwell are brilliant. I don't know how accurate and authentic the story was but it was good enough to hold my attention the second time viewing it. I can't imagine being falsely accused of a minor crime, let alone a horrendous crime like this. I tried putting myself in his shoes and asking myself, what would I do if the investigation pointed at me and the national media did that to me.

Departed
I don't know. This was my third or fourth time watching this. I've read a lot of criticisms of this movie. I thought it was fantastic. Over the top on a lot of levels for being unbelievable, but so what. For me it's super entertaining.

In the past week I watched a handful of movies I'd seen a number of times before:

Stronger
The Jeff Bauman story from the Boston Marathon bombing. Only my second time watching this. Jake Gyllenhaal was great. When he gets brought out to throw out the first pitch of the Sox game I started tearing up. To me, it's so weird to be emotionally moved by a movie. Actors playing roles. It makes no sense to me, so when it happens, I just give credit for a production and great storytelling. Whenever I see an animal hurt in a movie, I just keep telling myself "It's a movie.....it's a movie....it's a movie....it's not real". But this movie made me emotional....maybe more for my love for the city of Boston.
But in this case it was "real".

The Breakfast Club
Still great. So many great quotes.
Anthony Michael Hall was comedy genius....,
  • counting the number of suspensions Bender is getting,
  • being pissed he didn't know thew clock on the wall was off.
  • his facial expressions throughout
IMDB has some great comments in the Trivia section for this movie.

Rocky & Rocky 2
Rocky was really great. Still holds up, although the fight scenes were really bad.
Rocky 2, meh.

Stronger

Richard Jewell
The Atlanta Olympic bombing story. (no....I'm not getting any ideas)
Paul Walter Hauser and Sam Rockwell are brilliant. I don't know how accurate and authentic the story was but it was good enough to hold my attention the second time viewing it. I can't imagine being falsely accused of a minor crime, let alone a horrendous crime like this. I tried putting myself in his shoes and asking myself, what would I do if the investigation pointed at me and the national media did that to me.

Departed
I don't know. This was my third or fourth time watching this. I've read a lot of criticisms of this movie. I thought it was fantastic. Over the top on a lot of levels for being unbelievable, but so what. For me it's super entertaining.
Funny...I was bored the other day and watched the departed start to end again as well. Definitely enjoy the movie.

I know it's not a show, but Ben Affleck and Matt Damon's "Air" was released on Amazon Prime Video yesterday, watched it with my son who just got home from college last night. Just a good story/character-driven movie with no superheroes, no CGI. Was very enjoyable. As someone who grew up in the 80's, it was a nice nostalgia trip. My son couldn't figure out why I was chuckling to myself half the time. He's a big "shoe" guy, so he liked it as well.
I liked it.

I didn't realize where Nike was in the initial "rankings" of things from Jordan's pov.

Anyone else ever watch The Last Ship? It was originally on TNT from 2014-2018, now available on Hulu and HBO Max. Essentially an end of the world pandemic show before the actual real life pandemic. Focuses on a Naval ship trying to develop a vaccine with a ton of action. Even my wife enjoys it and will watch multiple episodes in a row. I had never heard of it, but it’s really entertaining.
Yea, I remember enjoying it quite a bit. :thumbup:

Wife and I enjoyed this quite a bit when it originally aired. IIRC, the Navy was involved consulting for realism on the ship operations and combat and those episodes focusing on combat and such were some of the best and really intense. Certainly was the occasional low budget moment being on TNT with bad cgi f/x occasionally but overall a satisfying show. The final two seasons (filmed back to back) you could tell they were running out of ideas, but I still enjoyed it, especially the last episode with the nods to the fallen crew/characters from the prior seasons.

I like the show but the trouble has been consistency because it never quite knows what it wants to be.

Another clunker of an episode. During the first few seasons I enjoyed it consistently even if it was stylistically uneven as you suggest. But this latest season has pretty much gone off the rails for me.

I like the show but the trouble has been consistency because it never quite knows what it wants to be.

Another clunker of an episode. During the first few seasons I enjoyed it consistently even if it was stylistically uneven as you suggest. But this latest season has pretty much gone off the rails for me.
The only thing I enjoyed was while everyone else has aged the eight years very dramatically, Noho Hank is exactly the same. I did laugh out loud at that.

A couple shows my wife and I started watching recently:

Drops of God (Apple) - pretty interesting story so far, recommend if you’re into wine (or even if you’re not).

Fakes [Farzi] (Prime) - We’re only a couple of episodes in but it’s been a fun show. Sort of an Indian Oceans 11 vibe to it.

Even though it’s a couple years old, my wife and I missed that Season 4 of The Sinner was on Netflix so we started watching that today.

If not familiar with the show, the lead is Bill Pullman. Each season is pretty much standalone with just some character stuff that Carrie’s over season to season with Bill Pullman’s character. It’s a pretty good detective/crime thriller/mystery type show.

I loved it. I know it’s no longer a dark comedy and now it’s just dark, but that works for me. What do you not like about it?

I loved it. I know it’s no longer a dark comedy and now it’s just dark, but that works for me. What do you not like about it?

The last couple episodes in particular - slow, boring, unfunny. Also confusing. I’m not even sure what happened in the scene with the intruder.

The last couple episodes in particular - slow, boring, unfunny. Also confusing. I’m not even sure what happened in the scene with the intruder.
Lot of theories out there. I suspect it gets cleared up. I think Barry has been gone for weeks, even though the show seems to show it as a 24-hour stretch, and Sally is having a mental breakdown due to killing that guy last season and not having Barry there to comfort her.

Barry looks significantly different in the last scene in the garage with Jim than he did when he was trying to break into Gene’s house. I think he’s been there for a while. Explains why Sally was calling him and saying where the hell are you.

Last edited:

The last two episodes are like a sitcom directed by David Lynch. I am digging this season.

Users who are viewing this thread