What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stupid Baby Names (1 Viewer)

1. Marlowe is very, very trendy right now. Take that however you want.

2. I'm old so when I hear "Marlow" I think of a hard-boiled, chain-smoking private eye. Imagine 10-15 years from now people naming their kid "Kojak".

3. I don't make fun of kids names in class. I do it behind their backs and on the internet.
I'm still negotiating hard against this. Baby was born almost 12hours ago and remains nameless as a result. 

I started getting traction when I told Mrs. O, "honey, when we say her name, nobody is gonna know what the hell we are saying, and for all our lives and all hers, that's a communication gap we are going to have to navigate each and every time she is introduced."  I told her I was ok with it if she really wants it, but that I was going to play a game where I record with a little check mark each time this issue arises. 

While in the hospital, when asked what names we were considering (by the armada of nurses etc.), a number of times it was met with a quizzical look and "Marla?? Oh uh that's pretty," "oh like Trump's ex," and we would have to then repeat the name and people would be like "OHHHH MarLOWE. Got it." (At which point a couple of rare folks would say "oh I love that," others would sort of politely suggest a different name, but in each and every instance I would look at Mrs. O and smile and make a little check mark in the air). On the last such occasion, a nurse asked, "Milo??"  Ever since then Mrs. O has been scrambling for alternatives. Which I have told her is a good idea as it will save her a lifetime of having to negotiate this madness. Just no reason to add this kind of complication to her life. 

Leading favorite now is our 1B, Margaux. While susceptible to all sorts of spelling traps, at least it's not the kind of thing that is easily mispronounced by anyone with half a brain and more importantly, when you hear it, you don't mistake it for eleven different dog names and don't end up having to navigate an issue every time you introduce yourself. 

Other downside of Margaux is it remains susceptible to a tough nickname, and so we've started her on an infant diet regimen to avoid getting pegged in grade school as "Large Marge."

Yeah, sorry.  I started this thread because I hate stupid baby names.  But only slightly less irritating is stupid spelling of baby names.

For example, how many ways are there to spell Megan?  There's Megan (good), Meagan (kind of dumb but acceptable), and Meghan (kind of dumb but acceptable).  So what did my buddy and his (ex) wife name their daughter?  Meaghan (stupid).

Yeah, sorry.  I started this thread because I hate stupid baby names.  But only slightly less irritating is stupid spelling of baby names.

For example, how many ways are there to spell Megan?  There's Megan (good), Meagan (kind of dumb but acceptable), and Meghan (kind of dumb but acceptable).  So what did my buddy and his (ex) wife name their daughter?  Meaghan (stupid).
isn't Meaghan the original spelling? before it got Americanized to Megan, Meagan or Meghan?

Other downside of Margaux is it remains susceptible to a tough nickname, and so we've started her on an infant diet regimen to avoid getting pegged in grade school as "Large Marge."
I have always said that you need to think like a third grader when you are naming your child.

Congrats!!

I hope you don't mind sending her out of state for college.  She'd fit right in at LSU.  It's Margeaux, by the way.  

psychobillies said:
I hope you don't mind sending her out of state for college.  She'd fit right in at LSU.  It's Margeaux, by the way.  
I'm told it can be spelled either way.  Our spelling is the other French spelling which is also named after a wine region (one of the times Mrs. O and I came across the name and liked it....  love our red wine....)

always liked marlo/marlowe. but yeah, there are a bunch of them. other names that are overloaded at the kids' school:

girls: eva, maya, lauren.

boys: hunter, jackson, jayden

all of the above always have their last initial permanently attached- eva f, eva r, etc.

here's a name that I like, but I'm sure is hated because... eww... scary... differet- ever. only known one of those in person- great kid (brother is named pilot- also a great kid).

always liked marlo/marlowe. but yeah, there are a bunch of them. other names that are overloaded at the kids' school:

girls: eva, maya, lauren.

boys: hunter, jackson, jayden

all of the above always have their last initial permanently attached- eva f, eva r, etc.

here's a name that I like, but I'm sure is hated because... eww... scary... differet- ever. only known one of those in person- great kid (brother is named pilot- also a great kid).
there are three Ava's in my 5 year old's class

also, myriad Madison's, Addison's and Sofia/Sophia's throughout the school

No better gift for your children than to give them a name that they have to spell out loud every time it's said, for potentially the next 100 years. 

Margaux.

What?

M A R G A U X

X?

Yes, A U X. 

No better gift for your children than to give them a name that they have to spell out loud every time it's said, for potentially the next 100 years. 

Margaux.

What?

M A R G A U X

X?

Yes, A U X. 
Why would she have to spell her name out loud every time it's said?  She'll have to spell it at the DMV.  

Not to mention the all the times it'll be pronounced Mar-gawks. Why make it more complicated than it has to be?

Margaux.

What?

M A R G A U X

X?

Yes, A U X. 
My sister's name is spelled this way. My other sister has an "offbeat" spelling too. 

Holy ####, I open this thread for the first time, and see both my dumb sisters dumb names in 2 pages. This one spells it Meghann.

Otis, some pretty girls names that come to mind:

Emma

Ariel

Flapjacks

Australia

Chocolate

Viola

Beth

Rutabega

Liberty Bell

Saxophone

Attorney 

Constellation

Jennifer

EYLive said:
Not to mention the all the times it'll be pronounced Mar-gawks. Why make it more complicated than it has to be?
That's beautiful. The ultimate built-in test. "Honey, if anyone ever pronounces your name Mar-gawks, that's an instant sign that they're stupid."

Son has a girlfriend named Pepper.

Also Floppo, I know about 6 kids under 5 named Jackson, although some of them hobby Jax.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread