What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Subscriber Contest is LIVE (2 Viewers)

Scored 192, but had Dez so that hurts for future weeks. Will Eifert put up at least 35 points every week??? Haha

Any common themes with the 1st week losers? I saw the multi kicker, defense and QB teams got the boot.

DIdn't read aqny strat or anything for the challenge and picked my team in one shot in about 20 minutes lol. Not really quite sure what decent strat is honestly guess I will read this thread before I do it next year would love to hear some thoughts on my team though, think I picked to thin at some positions but oh well, scored like 213 this week i think.

DIdn't read aqny strat or anything for the challenge and picked my team in one shot in about 20 minutes lol. Not really quite sure what decent strat is honestly guess I will read this thread before I do it next year would love to hear some thoughts on my team though, think I picked to thin at some positions but oh well, scored like 213 this week i think.
People will tell you large rosters get you to the final 250 but small rosters win, but that's not really true. The majority of rosters are small so that's why the winner is usually a small roster. But the bottom line is that you need studs to win. Sometimes those studs are very cheap (I believe Julius Thomas was once $2 and Gronk wasn't very expensive his second year), so you can have studs in large rosters. This year you only have to start 1-2-2-1-1-1 with 2 flexes, so you really could go deep with whatever position you saw the most value. I saw a lot of value at TE and with 1.5 ppr for that position, I went six deep there for the first time.

Always check the rules for changes. I may have missed it last year, but I'm pretty sure until this year the contest has always been start 3 WR min, so it was wise to invest a lot at that position.

But it sounds like you did something right this year. In general, it is probably best to wait until the very end to do your first entry. Personally, I can't wait so I do one right away and fall in love with certain players early and I can't ever take them off my roster. But if you wait until the end, you make sure to get all the value that eventually shows up and you can avoid the guys that have late red flags showing up. In my case, that might be Spiller. I've had him on my roster since the contest opened, but he's already missed a week due to a knee injury that kept him out of the preseason. Maybe if I'd waited, that $21 would've seemed too expensive. So you may have done yourself a favor.

Good luck.

P.S. Just go to your "myFBG" page and click on your contest entry and post that link. It should look like the link in my sig, but with your entry number.

How many teams have Dez? They're done soon.
I'm one of them, and not sure if I'm grasping at straws, but it seems if he comes back in the 2nd half at some point and is even a shadow of his former self then anyone who survives with him could have some really nice uniqueness upside.

I'm one of them, and not sure if I'm grasping at straws, but it seems if he comes back in the 2nd half at some point and is even a shadow of his former self then anyone who survives with him could have some really nice uniqueness upside.
That's my hope. Mine was a top 700 team this week without him. Of course I'd be better with, but if we can survive without, many who have him will falter, when he comes back we're in good shape.

I don't think you're grasping at straws at all. Tis much, much, much better to lose a player for weeks 2-7 than weeks 10-16. I kinda wish I had him now actually. You just have to survive without him, but in the early going the cut line historically isn't too high.

I drafted Arian Foster specifically for this reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as strategy goes...the first year I was in this was the only time I made the final 250. Its been downhill from there.

I like my team so far and avoided any complete disasters, finishing just inside the top 1,000 with 211. I had two pricey disappointments in Peterson & Olsen, but at least they aren't injured.

Julio, Hopkins, Eifert & Reed were big scorers for me this week.

I went with three "stud" RB's that netted a grand total of 27.9 pts. Not awful, but not what I was hoping for when I spent $85 on the position.

My entry

My current strategy:

1. Start at the bottom, looking for the cheap values that can be considered regular contributors. Mariota, Royal, Devante Adams, Owen Daniels & Jordan Reed were guys I liked here. Two of them came through this week. I also pick 3 each of the cheapest K & DEF that I like.

2. After that I look for pricier players that I think have the potential to finish #1 overall and see if there is any value there. I picked Roethlisberger, Peterson & Julio this year. One out of three ain't bad, right?

3. Then I tweak and tweak, looking for mid-priced values and watching bye week issues.

4. Next I fill in the bottom with some bargain bin players that have a shot at the occasional big week.

4. Finally I fill in the last few dollars in the K & Def section to upgrade if possible to get to $250.

some horrible starts to the year and some horrible defensive teams this year!!!

If have Julio in this and my big money league, so I appriciate the preformace last night but their coverage and d line were HORRIBLE!

Buffalo

KC

St. Louis

These will be the fantasy point killers this year IMO

Don't know if I should be feeling bad about my team for not cracking the top 10,000 or good about my team for surviving when not a single player on the roster scored 21 points.

Glass half empty guy in me says I'll be lucky to survive week 2.

Hmmmm...after week 1, the combo of LeVeon Bell and Julio Jones looks better than combo of Adrian Peterson and Antonio Brown.

with Ty Hilton possibly out, going to need Davante Adams, Rueben Randle and or Golden Tate to step up. At least Blount is back this week

So I seem to recall that there were a few processes I'd run on Tuesday mornings last year to square up all the data on my site. I ran the main one this morning. There's another I remember but haven't done yet, don't remember how important it is ( :bag: ). And I have a nagging suspicion I'm forgetting something else entirely. I've been extraordinarily busy at work today so I haven't had any time to dig around and figure it out yet.

So anyway, if you're looking at the site today and something seems funny and/or out of date let me know. :)

232 :flex: - thank you gronk, brady, julio, eifert....lets see how i do week to week though

Used $108 to score 225.8, so I had $142 in dead money week 1. The $142 not used (14 of them) only scored 58.9 points

Top scorer this week spent $173 for their 256.7 points

Some benchmark entries I'm tracking. The first two are ones that I found by hand with a ton of guys who are commonly owned and that I cited in the thread.

262 JAKE WOOD COMMON 224.40 722 VERY COMMON ENTRY 215.10 942 QuizGuy66 212.00 1382 MOST COMMON 18 PERSON 206.90 2128 MOST COMMON 30 PERSON 200.50 13385 MOST UNIQUE 18 PERSON 121.35 13500 CUTOFF 114.55 13593 20 DEFENSE GUY 105.25 13627 23 KICKER GUY 95.05 Oh and long live 17 KICKER GUY!!!! :excited:

http://o.ffense.com/fbg35k/index.php?teamid=111949

-QG

My 212 was achieved with only $119 spent :/ 3 of my 4 most expensive guys didn't count.

Quick roster re-evaluation:

QB - Brady, Dalton, Flacco. I have to remind myself that Flacco is there as a boom/bust guy. Waste of money seems more like it though :(

RB - Anderson, Ingram, Ivory, Jones, West. Nice to see Jones and West get in the action - both are secondary options right now, but at least I can hope. Ingram and Ivory feel really good. Anderson looks like a massive mistake so far, but I won't throw in the towel just yet. If Peyton is this bad though that means more guys in the box. So all in all looks like a big bust right now.

WR - Julio, Calvin, John Brown, Adams, Harvin, Hawkins, Royal, Philly Brown. Overall feel good about the group. All at least had one catch. The bottom 3 will pop up for a week or two but Harvin and John Brown look like they were good pics. I'll hold out hope for Megatron.

TE - Olsen, Eifert, Rodgers, Chandler. Even though Olsen had a rough week I hold out hope for this group. Olsen ended up blocking too much this week - basically I have to root for Carolina to need to pass, which should usually happen. Eifert is the truth. Rodgers and Chandler will see random looks and get random touchdowns which is helpful at their price.

PK - Gano, Scobee, Janikowski. Everyone freaked out about Scobee it seemed but lets see how he does with a new holder. His production was okay for this contest as a floor. Gano I was happy with. Janikowski will gets some 15 point games with 3 kicks because that offense is just not going to score TDs.

TD - Giants, Tampa, Atlanta. The Giants are a terrible defense that scored points. Which is why they are on my team. Points against and yards against don't matter here - big plays do and I think they'll continue to make 'em. Atlanta and Tampa are more meh but I hope that they'll break a kick return now again - lord knows Tampa will be returning kickoffs all year.

-QG

3 Gronk owners did not make it past week 1.

2 were gimmick rosters: 9 K guy, and 9 QB guy

But, 1 team was a legitimate roster that just bombed week 1 - Luck, Peterson/Gore/Martin, Calvin/S.Smith, Gronk, Vinatieri/Hopkins, Texans/Browns

But, 1 team was a legitimate roster that just bombed week 1 - Luck, Peterson/Gore/Martin, Calvin/S.Smith, Gronk, Vinatieri/Hopkins, Texans/Browns
That roster isn't a gimmick roster?

Discouraging: no production from my collection of "bargain" WRs (Quick, Wheaton, Adams, Royal, Brown & Funchess).

Encouraging: Scoring 193 pts. with L. Bell out and not using Big Ben's points makes me think I just might survive their Week 11 bye.

Talk now that Dez may be lying to himself about how long he'll be out. That's tough for guys invested in him. I'm no longer kind of wishing I had him on my team.

That roster isn't a gimmick roster?
I did not list everyone on the roster - but yeah, it was a legit roster that just did not work out well in week 1. :shrug:

Whole roster for the legit entry eliminated Gronk owner:

Pos Player Team Price FPts

x-QB Andrew Luck IND $26 20.15

QB Kirk Cousins WAS $3 11.70

x-RB Adrian Peterson MIN $32 8.20

x-RB Doug Martin TB $12 6.40

RB Frank Gore IND $22 5.10

RB Darren McFadden DAL $11 4.50

RB Reggie Bush SF $10 0.80

RB Christine Michael SEA $3 0.00

x-WR Terrance Williams DAL $11 11.00

x-WR Markus Wheaton PIT $5 8.50

x-WR Calvin Johnson DET $25 5.90

WR Danny Amendola NE $3 4.40

WR Steve Smith BAL $14 3.30

WR Devin Funchess CAR $5 1.90

WR Chris Matthews SEA $4 1.80

x-TE Rob Gronkowski NE $33 34.90

x-TE Vernon Davis SF $7 9.20

x-PK Adam Vinatieri IND $7 0.00

PK Dustin Hopkins NO $4 0.00

x-DST Houston Texans HOU $9 2.00

DST Cleveland Browns CLE $4 2.00

x- player used

-QG

So, a totally legit roster.

Decided to roll the dice with Luck/Cousins combo.

Purple Jesus had a bad game and Doug Martin was a popular hype guy. Many like Gore. He decided to bet that the backup RBs in Dallas would emerge (Michael ended up inactive). Bush got hurt early on.

Megatron was a bust this week. Got sorta lucky getting points out of Williams there. Wheaton is a popular guy. Amendola probably was seen as a safety guy and Funchess had early hype as Benjamin replacement. I know more than a couple folks liked Smith.

Gronk of course like many have. Probably liked Davis as a contrarian pick and former stud.

Hopkins was clearly a mistake (like he probably last edited this lineup a couple of weeks before deadline). Vinatieri throws a goose egg.

Texans were hyped and commonly picked high in regular fantasy leagues. Browns have their moments.

(Side note - having a 3rd defense or kicker might have saved this guy).

-QG

QB Tom Brady NE $14

QB Sam Bradford PHI $13

QB Tyrod Taylor BUF $5

Like others, I like the value of Brady and Bradford. Bradford is an injury risk, but you have to swing for the fences in some areas. Taylor could be a wildcard, and I think he actually holds onto the QB position for most of the season. Worth the $5, even though he shares the same bye week as Bradford. I could have spent the $5 on an extra kicker or Def/ST, or a WR like Wheaton, but I like having the extra QB.

RB Lamar Miller MIA $24

RB Mark Ingram NO $20

RB Chris Ivory NYJ $15

RB Danny Woodhead SD $12

RB Christine Michael SEA $3

I'm a believer in Miller this year, and his early bye week makes him more attractive. I like the value that Ingram and Ivory represent. Woodhead is just a PPR play, that will probably come in handy during bye weeks, based on the fact that I don't believe Gordon will be the third down back anytime this year. Michael is just a scratch-off lottery ticket that might provide significant return for so little invested.

WR Julio Jones ATL $26 0.00

WR Jordan Matthews PHI $21 0.00

WR Brandin Cooks NO $21 0.00

WR Jeremy Maclin KC $16 0.00

WR Eddie Royal CHI $4 0.00

WR Tyler Lockett SEA $3 0.00

One stud. Two that could be studs (big believer in Bradford-to-Matthews this season, and Cooks will eat up the targets, if not the TDs). I like Maclin's price point, and Royal could be valuable for the reasons already stated. Lockett is another lottery ticket that could pay off in a best ball league like this.

TE Rob Gronkowski NE $33 34.90

TE Tyler Eifert CIN $9 0.00

I always had Gronk on this team. I'm one of the people buying into the Eifert hype. I could have spent a little less on WR to upgrade more on TE, but I don't like Bennett this year, didn't see the benefit of any of the other midrange guys, and I wasn't going to pony up for Olsen or Kelce (although I know others feel like that's the thing to do with 1.5 PPR).

PK Josh Scobee JAX $2 8.40

PK Sebastian Janikowski OAK $2 0.00

DST Pittsburgh Steelers PIT $4 2.00

DST San Diego Chargers SD $3

I've never had any luck picking kickers or Def/ST in this contest, and I've always had at least 3 of each, but having that extra kicker/DEF has NEVER helped me make a cutoff, so I spent the dollars elsewhere. I'm fine with taking on that risk.
I really like your team, I would have changed just a couple of minor things. I would have went no 3rd quarterback. Brady has an early bye week. I would have got rid of Maclin and went with Adams. I would have taken Cleveland or Tampa defense over Pittsburgh. I would take the left over 12 dollars and spent 5 on Rodgers at tight end, and spent the last 7 on another defense and kicker. I really do like your team though.
Agree with all of this. Miller was on most of my teams and I'll probably regret not keeping him.

Everyone on this team except Maclin was on many of my iterations. For hous price I'd rather have Landry, but have always liked maclin
This might elicit some laughs, given their documented struggles in the red zone, but I believe Maclin will score more TDs than Landry,thus justifying the price IMO.
It's only been a week, but I'm Not regretting the third QB so far. Landry could turn out to be better than Maclin, and with the savings I could have added another kicker or upgraded a defense, I suppose. It's still early on everyone, though.

<<shrugs>>

Ok FBG....tell me I don't need to put my neck in the noose and jump off the tower...Give me some hope for this entry?

http://o.ffense.com/fbg35k/index.php?teamid=108875
Spent too much money on the least valuable pts/$ positions. You pay the price for Luck, you don't burn $7 on a 3rd QB. RB wasn't your best option to chase flex points. Even so, once you pay the price for 4 starters, allocate the remaining funds elsewhere. Three $3 Defenses will outscore the Texans this year.

Ok FBG....tell me I don't need to put my neck in the noose and jump off the tower...Give me some hope for this entry?

http://o.ffense.com/fbg35k/index.php?teamid=108875
Spent too much money on the least valuable pts/$ positions. You pay the price for Luck, you don't burn $7 on a 3rd QB. RB wasn't your best option to chase flex points. Even so, once you pay the price for 4 starters, allocate the remaining funds elsewhere. Three $3 Defenses will outscore the Texans this year.
Agreed. Your receivers - which should be the strongest part of your team and the easiest to build - are woeful. Outside of obviously Cooks and Adams, you don't have anybody that remotely moves the meter.

Ig>Jamaal showing 4.2 points. That can't be right, can it? :oldunsure:
Sorry all, looks like the job to update the scores crapped out at some point during the game last night and I wasn't paying attention. I fired it back up just now and all the scores have updated. Thanks for the heads up.

Users who are viewing this thread