What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Summer is the worst season (1 Viewer)

i'm in one of the best locations in the country for weather.  coastal, southern california.  i'm a ski bum.  

winter

spring

fall

summer

summer, is the only time of year, where it can get unpleasant.  and it's still not very bad.

MAC_32 said:
Yep, sun has fallen below all obstructions and the shirt's back on. What kinda psycho doesn't love this. 
:hey:  I just sweat profusely...80+ degrees and throw in the grilling, and I will look like I just stepped out of the shower after about 20 minutes.  Yesterday wasn't too bad.  Even though it got up in the mid eighties around here, there was a breeze blowing which kept it tolerable, but not necessarily comfortable.  Give me 65-75 any day.

For those who hate summer because of all the mosquitos, I suggest raising bats.
thats gd right hoard we used to be a nation of doers not a nation of whiners cripes back in the day we sat outside ankle deep in guano from all the damn bats we raised but you know what no one ever complained about it even once because that foul stench around your feet was the sweet smell of no mosquito bites and another night out on the deck and it was pretty damned glorious take that to the bank batmigos

Last edited by a moderator:
Leroy Hoard said:
This is a good post. But is there a place in the usa where I never have to experience either one?
Depends on what you consider hot or cold, for SF the low average temperature per month is 46 degrees to 55 degrees (Jan - Sept) and the average monthly high is 57 degrees to 70 degrees (also Jan-Sept). So basically the maximum range as an average is 46 degrees to 70 degrees (obviously some days are colder/warmer). 

Data from here: https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/6ceaa33cf03fa585f14f1049c4114203a0689d0c82546b1ca35e76197a1731d3

DA RAIDERS said:
i'm in one of the best locations in the country for weather.  coastal, southern california.  i'm a ski bum.  

winter

spring

fall

summer

summer, is the only time of year, where it can get unpleasant.  and it's still not very bad.
Me too, for the last 50+ years.

It has gotten much hotter in the summer the last 5 or so years.

But as you said, it's still very mild compared to most of the country/world.

Mowed the lawn at noon.. roughly 97 degrees and humid as hell.  Sat on the porch drenched in sweat and admired my perfect lines with a cold beer.  

Doesn't get much better for me.

For those who hate summer because of all the mosquitos, I suggest raising bats.
Yep

Our city put bat houses on our Greenway. While it definitely hasn't stopped the bugs, it's probably better for it.

Nah.  Winter blows.  Short days.  Cold.  Dead trees. Can't do much outside.  The only good part of winter is skiing, and I can travel to do that.

1A)   Fall

1B)   Spring

2)   Summer

97)  Winter
Agree for the most part. I'll take the heat and humidity in exchange for longer days.  I despise it getting dark before 5:30pm. The morning bothers me a little less.

Yep.

It's very moist here in Kansas City right now.
Did Pat Mahomes walk by? 

Kansas can get nasty in the summer, and winter. But I never quite got the same nastiness in the summer as we get here or in the Carolinas.

Love summer. The hotter the better. 
101 here right now. Have an A/C guy on the way to see if my system has issues or if it just can't handle the heat. It's running a few degrees hotter inside than what I have set. Never seen that before and 101 isn't THAT hot for this area. 

Mowed the lawn at noon.. roughly 97 degrees and humid as hell.  Sat on the porch drenched in sweat and admired my perfect lines with a cold beer.  

i guess you could have been trolling some thread and gone for the matuski trifecta but hey two outa three aint bad take that to the bank bromigo 

Sitting here on the deck, umbrella up, shirt off, 'working' while the kids run around playing water games in the yard and I got some ribs slow cooking 10' away.

Yeah, this is worse than winter :lmao:

This is a good post. But is there a place in the usa where I never have to experience either one?
Yes,  Central coast of California.  It's between 60-75 about 90% of the year.  You get about a week of 90+ and in the winter at night it gets around 32.   Otherwise it is between 60-75.

Sitting here on the deck, umbrella up, shirt off, 'working' while the kids run around playing water games in the yard and I got some ribs slow cooking 10' away.

Yeah, this is worse than winter :lmao:
I do all of that in the winter with a sweat shirt on. Right now it’s 90° with 59% humidity. It’s disgusting. 

Cruising around on a pontoon, soaking up the sun and drinking a few beers is pretty much peak life and here in the midwest, summer is the only time to do it. So I personally love summer. 

Cruising around on a pontoon, soaking up the sun and drinking a few beers is pretty much peak life and here in the midwest, summer is the only time to do it. So I personally love summer. 
If you live far enough south - on one hand I get complaining about summer, but on the other this is the consequence to living down there. You get a milder actual winter, so summer is for all intents and purposes your winter. If you don't like it then move. But for those of us that actually get winter, I don't get the complaints and I don't think I ever will. 80's and sun or...30's and none is not up for debate.

If you live far enough south - on one hand I get complaining about summer, but on the other this is the consequence to living down there. You get a milder actual winter, so summer is for all intents and purposes your winter. If you don't like it then move. But for those of us that actually get winter, I don't get the complaints and I don't think I ever will. 80's and sun or...30's and none is not up for debate.
SE PA. We get a fair share of each season. I’ll take winter, we winter hike in the mountains so we actually GO NORTH in the winter. Lake Placid and the Whites in NH are our favorites. I love hunting in the snow, I get more active in the winter. All I want to do right now is sit inside in the AC. 

I imagine one's feelings on summer are also dictated heavily by their health and skin tone. I imagine many health problems could be exacerbated on a really hot day and if you are very fair skin, it's probably brutal being out there. I know my mom and sister turn red after like 5 minutes of sun. My dad and myself OTOH tan quite easily and usually don't have to worry about too much sun exposure. If I was getting burnt, that would certainly deter me from enjoying the summer. 

Forgetting something simple:

April is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the ground, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
Winter kept us warm, covering
Earth in forgetful snow, feeding
A little life with dried tubers.
Summer surprised us, coming over the Starnbergersee
With a shower of rain; we stopped in the colonnade,
And went on in sunlight, into the Hofgarten,
And drank coffee, and talked for an hour.
Bin gar keine Russin, stamm’ aus Litauen, echt deutsch.
And when we were children, staying at the arch-duke’s,
My cousin’s, he took me out on a sled,
And I was frightened. He said, Marie,
Marie, hold on tight. And down we went.
In the mountains, there you feel free.
I read, much of the night, and go south in the winter.

I have a hard time ranking the other 3 but Winter is by far the ####tiest season.  Not even close and I don’t even live where it gets that cold and we don’t get a lot snow.  I just can’t stand cold weather and with short days and little sunlight it’s just the worst.

I love summer.  Backpacking is my favorite thing in the world.  COVID has messed with my backpacking schedule but I just did a beautiful trip two weeks ago where I was hiking through Aspens and Columbines and Wild Roses and then started hitting snow and camped at an icy lake.  I was the first person to make it over the pass this season I think since there weren't footprints in the snow.  And it was beautiful.  Just warm enough at night to sit outside with a midweight coat and enjoy my private lake and watch the stars.  Next week I plan on going out to Vail and trying to find a lake that I have been searching for a few years.  I probably won't find it as I only have 2 days and I probably need a few more but it will be fun either way.  In August I am spending two weeks in Wyoming/Montana playing around outdoors.  I love it.

You can backpack in Spring and Fall but there is still a ton of snow in spring and fall starts to get pretty cold.  Some people backpack in winter.  But I don't like to.

Winter has teen temperatures with 30 mph wind.  It also has 35-40 degrees with soaking rain.  

Both are miserable.  Give me summer.  AC, no shirt, and pool/river are just fine.

Seriously.  It’s awful.  Tried sitting outside but it’s 95 degrees and so humid that I’m sweating even sitting in the shade 

despite willing to put up with that I kept getting bitten by biting flies

So now I’m sitting inside in a nice sweat dampened t-shirt 

cant wait for fall.  And as much as winter sucks at least there’s football and I don’t have to deal with the temptation of wanting to be outside 
Add Eastern Equine Encephalitis to the list

Coincidence?  97 degress, sitting here sweating my ### off, post mow and edge, with a beer I put in the freezer before starting.  

That diagonal cross weave.... gawd damn.  Love this moment.

Cheers to summer. 🍻

Users who are viewing this thread