What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sunday Night NFL Scheduling coming into focus (1 Viewer)

nerangers

Footballguy
Will this mess things up for Fans that attend these games?

Sunday night television picture is coming into focus

Details on the flexible Sunday night NFL television schedule for next season were ironed out last week during a brief league meeting in Orlando, Fla., that was a precursor to the annual meeting in mid-March.

The owners and networks came up with a system that will begin in Week 10 of the 2006 season because there will be no Sunday night game on Christmas Eve. In 2007 and thereafter, the flexible schedule will be in place from Weeks 11-17 except in years when there is a Christmas conflict.

For those weeks, no game will be designated for the Sunday night slot on the schedule when it is released before the season; all games will be listed with the usual 1 p.m. or 4 p.m. start time. However, the league will already have a game or two in mind for each of those Sunday nights, subject to change based on team records and match-ups.

For Week 10, a game will be designated for Sunday night 12 days in advance; the same will happen for each succeeding week, with the teams involved given 12 days' notice.

Fox and CBS each will have five ''blocks" per season, meaning they can stop a designated game from being moved to Sunday nights -- but only up to a maximum of five times. When a block is used, a new game will be selected, still with 12 days' notice.

The hope is that this will avoid some of the terrible matchups ''Monday Night Football" was saddled with in recent years. Monday nights now will belong to ESPN, with the Sunday night NBC game becoming the big night game of the week.

NBC and the NFL have yet to decide whether the Sunday games will begin at 8:15 or 8:30 p.m.

:goodposting: better than the old deal...if the borderline calls always seem to go to the bigger market I will not be pleased...

Last edited by a moderator:
Will this mess things up for Fans that attend these games?

Sunday night television picture is coming into focus

Details on the flexible Sunday night NFL television schedule for next season were ironed out last week during a brief league meeting in Orlando, Fla., that was a precursor to the annual meeting in mid-March.

The owners and networks came up with a system that will begin in Week 10 of the 2006 season because there will be no Sunday night game on Christmas Eve. In 2007 and thereafter, the flexible schedule will be in place from Weeks 11-17 except in years when there is a Christmas conflict.

For those weeks, no game will be designated for the Sunday night slot on the schedule when it is released before the season; all games will be listed with the usual 1 p.m. or 4 p.m. start time. However, the league will already have a game or two in mind for each of those Sunday nights, subject to change based on team records and match-ups.

For Week 10, a game will be designated for Sunday night 12 days in advance; the same will happen for each succeeding week, with the teams involved given 12 days' notice.

Fox and CBS each will have five ''blocks" per season, meaning they can stop a designated game from being moved to Sunday nights -- but only up to a maximum of five times. When a block is used, a new game will be selected, still with 12 days' notice.

The hope is that this will avoid some of the terrible matchups ''Monday Night Football" was saddled with in recent years. Monday nights now will belong to ESPN, with the Sunday night NBC game becoming the big night game of the week.

NBC and the NFL have yet to decide whether the Sunday games will begin at 8:15 or 8:30 p.m.
I don't get it...The league is only proposing moving a TOTAL of 7 games off of FOX or CBS each season. Yet those networks have a TOTAL of 10 "blocks?" That means that in EVERY ONE of those 7 weeks of the season, FOX or CBS can block the top 1 or sometimes top 2 games from being moved. In essence this ensures that the Sunday Night NBC game will be the 2nd or more often 3rd best matchup of the week. Not horrible, but not great either. I would think the NFL would want a bit more autonomy in their decision making process. Of course, pretty soon ALL of the best matchups will be on NFL Network anyway, making this issue moot.

can't wait. It's like getting two mini-super bowls per week! And no joe theisman!

Great for the vast majority of fans, but it sucks for the ticketholders who get 12 days notice of a major time change. Fortunately for me, as a Packers season ticketholder, I don't expect to have to concern myself with any primetime kickoffs for the next few years.

Great news for football on Sunday nights. But the 12 days notice really sucks. I think you get still get pretty good match ups with 4 weeks. Choose the week 10 game the Monday after week 6.

Just curious - for those of your who don't like the 12 days notice -why is that such a big deal?
Because some ticket holders drive a long way to the games or may even work shifts. It's a big difference to make plans for a 1:00 game vs. an 8:30 game.

Just curious - for those of your who don't like the 12 days notice -why is that such a big deal?
Because some ticket holders drive a long way to the games or may even work shifts. It's a big difference to make plans for a 1:00 game vs. an 8:30 game.
Would another couple of weeks make it any better? I don't see it. You surely have to acquire tickets in advance of that.The league has created a policy that benefits millions and puts out some portion of the fans who attend the game each week. That sounds like a good trade to me. You're on notice if you're a distant fan that you'd better take Monday off if you're going to go to a late season game and your team is doing well.

I'm not outraged or anything, and I appreciate what's behind it, but there is a big difference for me between a noon kickoff and a 7:30 p.m. kickoff. I have a four hour drive each way from Chicago and very rarely go to Sunday night games, especially late in the season when the drive home can take 5-6 hours or longer. Many Packer fans live outside Green Bay and have long drives. Many people plan trips to Lambeau long in advance, booking flights, hotels, taking vacation days, etc. It is a big inconvenience to change kickoff by 7 hours (one way or the other) 12 days before the game.

Just like playoff games in any other sport - time TBA.
:goodposting: God, people will complain about anything. Leave it the way it was, we get stuck with snoozefests like the Packers-Ravens -- and then people complain.

Change it so we don't have to deal with that, and all they do to change it is a 6-hour gametime difference on the same day -- and people complain.

:yawn:

Games were already subject to be moved between 1 PM and 4 PM, weren't they?
That is correct.Welcome to the same issues as for NCAA big time games.

It would likely only affect fans once per season, and your team has to be doing well for that to happen.

Embrace the national spotlight, don't lament your Monday off :) .

I'm not outraged or anything, and I appreciate what's behind it, but there is a big difference for me between a noon kickoff and a 7:30 p.m. kickoff. I have a four hour drive each way from Chicago and very rarely go to Sunday night games, especially late in the season when the drive home can take 5-6 hours or longer. Many Packer fans live outside Green Bay and have long drives. Many people plan trips to Lambeau long in advance, booking flights, hotels, taking vacation days, etc. It is a big inconvenience to change kickoff by 7 hours (one way or the other) 12 days before the game.
Don't worry...unless you catch Detriot on Turkey, there won't be any primetime games for quite some time.

I just hope we don't end up seeing the undefeated team vs. whoever every week like we would have this year with the Colts vs. Jags, Steelers, Chargers, etc.

There had better be a little variety or it will be no better than the old system, imo.

:goodposting: God, people will complain about anything. Leave it the way it was, we get stuck with snoozefests like the Packers-Ravens -- and then people complain.

Change it so we don't have to deal with that, and all they do to change it is a 6-hour gametime difference on the same day -- and people complain.

Of course people will complain. But I hardly think the 3 or 4 who have done so in this thread represent the 40 million fans across the country.

I am not really complaining. I just mentioned that I thought the change would be better if they gave 4 weeks notice on the games. The basic reason: many people only plan to watch ONE game each Sunday and plan their weekends around it. I would hate to commit to taking my wife out or some commitment on a Sunday night and then find out that my team's game has been moved. I frequently plan things out more than two weeks in advance.

I am not really complaining. I just mentioned that I thought the change would be better if they gave 4 weeks notice on the games. The basic reason: many people only plan to watch ONE game each Sunday and plan their weekends around it. I would hate to commit to taking my wife out or some commitment on a Sunday night and then find out that my team's game has been moved. I frequently plan things out more than two weeks in advance.
I'll disagree.Here's an example why.

On November 1st, the Eagles were 4-4.

Four weeks later they played Seattle as a 5-6 team, at home, with no Donovan McNabb. 42-0 Seattle on MNF.

12 days allows for only ONE game to possibly lose players due to injury, and only one more loss for each team. So if you pick two teams that are 7-4 or better, you're guaranteed a game of two teams vying for the postseason.

I just hope we don't end up seeing the undefeated team vs. whoever every week like we would have this year with the Colts vs. Jags, Steelers, Chargers, etc.

There had better be a little variety or it will be no better than the old system, imo.
Didn't they implement a cap on the number of prime time games any one team can have as of this contract?

TiVo, anyone??

Didn't they implement a cap on the number of prime time games any one team can have as of this contract?
I don't know, but that would be great. I read somewhere that Denver and Green Bay had something like 6 or 7 nationally televised games each in 2004. That's just silly.

Would another couple of weeks make it any better? I don't see it. You surely have to acquire tickets in advance of that.The league has created a policy that benefits millions and puts out some portion of the fans who attend the game each week. That sounds like a good trade to me. You're on notice if you're a distant fan that you'd better take Monday off if you're going to go to a late season game and your team is doing well.
So the NFL should cater to the people who sit at home and watch games on TV rather than the people who spend $$$ on season tickets?

So the NFL should cater to the people who sit at home and watch games on TV rather than the people who spend $$$ on season tickets?
Yes. This is all about the TV contracts and making them worth more. Flexible scheduling does nothing for the fans in the stands.

if the borderline calls always seem to go to the bigger market I will not be pleased...
I bet it eventually takes precident. The only reason they are doing this is to boost ratings...and nothing boosts ratings then having two teams from big markets.

Good thing for you that the Packers will not be chosen for Sunday Nights for the next couple of years, so don't worry about it. :D

The main reason the Packer fans dislike this idea ia because Wisconsin Liquor stores would only have 12 days to stock up and the porta-potty folks have to hire extra staff to cover the additional 7 1/2 hours of tailgating. :D

Users who are viewing this thread