What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sunday's title game tilts aren't sexy?!? From ESPN (1 Viewer)

Kosar

Footballguy
Link

The title of this thread is from ESPN.com's front page, under NFL Playoffs.

I love when ESPN, or any media outlet for that matter, tries to tell me which games are going to be exicting, and which games aren't. I hate how they assume we won't be interested in either title game.

How could you be an NFL fan and not get excited about the Title games? They are somtimes more exciting than the actual Super Bowl!!

The AFC Title game, particularly, is going to be great!!

I think ESPN's (and all east-coast media's) worst nightmare is a Seahawks-Broncos superbowl.
:goodposting: That is why.. No East Coast Teams = :yawn: to the East Coast Snob Media.

Go read Peter King's Monday Morning QB:

The best two teams in football, out of the race in a 17-hour span.
Well excuse me, but if they truly are the best two teams in Football wouldn't they still be playing??? :loco:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sexy match-ups are easy to sell to the borderline fan. The superbowl, however, has become such an "event" and as closer to a national holliday than a football game, that it really does not matter which teams are playing. The ratings will be huge, people will have Superbowl parties and the sports bars will be full.

Well, if Boston or NY are out of the running, it is not worth watching. :no:
This is precisely why I love the NFL and hate MLB (though I love baseball, the sport).All teams are on a level playing field in terms of money. It is the teams that are smartest in terms of assembling the right coach and players (along with some luck along the way) that make the postseason.

If you make the correct offseason moves any team can be back in the thick of it next season and if you screw up you can't bail yourself out by outspending your competition.

It's the Truth! Come on now Colts vs Pats that's what everyone wanted. Steelers vs Broncos! A couple of steel workers and some people that aren't skiing in Colorado are all that are excited about this matchup!

I think ESPN's (and all east-coast media's) worst nightmare is a Seahawks-Broncos superbowl.
:goodposting: That is why.. No East Coast Teams = :yawn: to the East Coast Snob Media.
I don't think it's East Coast snobbery. I'm sure ESPN and the rest wouldn't have minded seeing Dallas or Green Bay in the NFC Title Game right now, and Indianapolis isn't on the east coast last I checked. The sports media, and presumably NFL execs, will always prefer some combination of: (1) teams with nationwide fan followings; (2) marquee players (Favre, Manning); and (3) compelling storylines, i.e. Colts/Patriots again, with all of the various subplots. That helps grab the casual fan. True football fans of course will always be interested in championship football no matter who is playing. Our (non-homer-type) interest is simply in quality NFL action.

Gene Wojciechowski is an idiot.After reading his earlier article on Denver, I started to write a response email to him, but didn't send it because I figured law enforcement might be showing up at my door if I did.If it weren't for the Sports Guy, I don't think I would ever go to that site.

It's the Truth! Come on now Colts vs Pats that's what everyone wanted. Steelers vs Broncos! A couple of steel workers and some people that aren't skiing in Colorado are all that are excited about this matchup!
Yeah, you are right. Both these teams should be broken up and sold since they have no championship histories or fan bases to speak of.... :rolleyes:

I don't think it's East Coast snobbery. I'm sure ESPN and the rest wouldn't have minded seeing Dallas or Green Bay in the NFC Title Game right now, and Indianapolis isn't on the east coast last I checked.
Both Dallas and Green Bay have a nationwide mystique. The Colts have just been in the media all year. So I don't think those are good examples.Of course there's east coast bias.

The Super Bowl has ceased being just a football game many years ago. Truth be told it really doesn't matter much which teams are playing, the SB will generate huge ratings and advertising dollars regardless.

Well, if Boston or NY are out of the running, it is not worth watching.  :no:
The superbowl, however, has become such an "event" and as closer to a national holliday than a football game, that it really does not matter which teams are playing. 
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: ESPN is convinced that what they think is what everyone ought to think. They honestly can't understand someone disagreeing with their viewpoint. It's a large part of the reason why so many knowledgeable sports fans are tuning them out. It's become almost unbearable to watch anything other than a live event on ESPN.

With Wash, NE, and Indy gone, this might be the first time I don't watch a playoff game since I became a football fan in the late 80s. Really couldn't care less about Den/Pit and have no desire to even watch it. Will probably watch the NFC one and root for Carolina, although I'd root for Seattle in the SB should they get there.

ESPN is convinced that what they think is what everyone ought to think. They honestly can't understand someone disagreeing with their viewpoint.
Sounds like some FBG posters that I know :P

I don't think it's East Coast snobbery. I'm sure ESPN and the rest wouldn't have minded seeing Dallas or Green Bay in the NFC Title Game right now, and Indianapolis isn't on the east coast last I checked. The sports media, and presumably NFL execs, will always prefer some combination of: (1) teams with nationwide fan followings; (2) marquee players (Favre, Manning); and (3) compelling storylines, i.e. Colts/Patriots again, with all of the various subplots. That helps grab the casual fan. True football fans of course will always be interested in championship football no matter who is playing. Our (non-homer-type) interest is simply in quality NFL action.
:goodposting: It's all about the $$, and aside from Pittsburgh, the Carolina, Seattle, and Denver markets are terrible.

Even Pitt is small potatoes compared to Philly, NE, or Chicago.

:sarcasm: ????????????????????????????????

I don't think it's East Coast snobbery. I'm sure ESPN and the rest wouldn't have minded seeing Dallas or Green Bay in the NFC Title Game right now, and Indianapolis isn't on the east coast last I checked.
Both Dallas and Green Bay have a nationwide mystique. The Colts have just been in the media all year. So I don't think those are good examples.
Media execs root for ratings. Reporters, columnists, etc. root for storylines. If an east coast team helps produce those things, they'll root for that team. I'm sure FOX would rather have had Washington play Chicago this week also. The ratings would be higher. Is that East Coast snobbery? Surely we can see that a potential Colts/Patriots AFC title game would have produced a certain level of interest having nothing to do with where the Patriots play. At the start of the playoffs, if you had polled sportswriters or the people at ABC on what their #1 preferred Super Bowl matchup would be, I'm pretty sure Giants vs. Colts would have come out on top. I think that would have garnered the highest ratings and given the sportsmedia the most to talk about for obvious reasons. I personally wouldn't have wanted it but why shouldn't they be rooting for that?

Steelers-Colts was one of the most exciting games of the season, yet everyone predicted a (boring) Indy blowout.Carolina-Chicago was predicted to be a defensive borefest, but it had just enough offensive punch to keep things interesting.

My problem is the media telling me this is going to be an "unsexy" matchup. Guess what? You paid the millions upon millions to broadcast the NFL. SHUT UP, and broadcast it. When the T.V. contract comes up, you're going to bend over backwards for the NFL anyway!

No Tom Brady = less female fans watching, less sexy.Same, but to a lesser extent with Peyton.It seems Atlanta / New England would be "sexy". Or New York Giants / Indy.

Seattle VS Denver FTW!!!!2 old AFC rivals what a story it would be. And to those of you crying back east, keep on crying we love it.

:goodposting: It's all about the $$, and aside from Pittsburgh, the Carolina, Seattle, and Denver markets are terrible.

What are you talking about? Denver has a whole time zone dedicated to it (because noone likes Arizona). In addition, Denver is probably top five favorite in Nevada where I live. You must live in the east somewhere.

Gene Wojciechowski is an idiot.

After reading his earlier article on Denver, I started to write a response email to him, but didn't send it because I figured law enforcement might be showing up at my door if I did.

If it weren't for the Sports Guy, I don't think I would ever go to that site.
The funny thing is that Wojciechowski is another former Denver journalist, much like a very substantial portion of the national media. He should know better.

Go read Peter King's Monday Morning QB:

The best two teams in football, out of the race in a 17-hour span.
Well excuse me, but if they truly are the best two teams in Football wouldn't they still be playing??? :loco:
I saw that, too. What a joke. The Patriots were, AT BEST, the 5th best team in the AFC this season (and only went to the second round because they got lucky and faced the 6th best team in the AFC in the first round). How that suddenly makes them one of the supposed two best teams in football is beyond me.

Link

The title of this thread is from ESPN.com's front page, under NFL Playoffs.

I love when ESPN, or any media outlet for that matter, tries to tell me which games are going to be exicting, and which games aren't. I hate how they assume we won't be interested in either title game.

How could you be an NFL fan and not get excited about the Title games? They are somtimes more exciting than the actual Super Bowl!!

The AFC Title game, particularly, is going to be great!!
I don't know what their problem is...the last 4 teams have a lot of players with active feet to watch!

I don't think it's East Coast snobbery.  I'm sure ESPN and the rest wouldn't have minded seeing Dallas or Green Bay in the NFC Title Game right now, and Indianapolis isn't on the east coast last I checked.  The sports media, and presumably NFL execs, will always prefer some combination of: (1) teams with nationwide fan followings; (2) marquee players (Favre, Manning); and (3) compelling storylines, i.e. Colts/Patriots again, with all of the various subplots.  That helps grab the casual fan.  True football fans of course will always be interested in championship football no matter who is playing. Our (non-homer-type) interest is simply in quality NFL action.

What are you talking about? Denver has a whole time zone dedicated to it (because noone likes Arizona). In addition, Denver is probably top five favorite in Nevada where I live. You must live in the east somewhere.
The Denver area is booming....I would not refer to it as a small market. Besides the Broncos are huge not just in their own state, but in all the mountain states from Wyoming to Utah to Idaho and in New Mexcio, western Kansas & Nebraska and the Dakotas. Granted, some of those aren't heavily populated states, but the Bronco nation is pretty rabid and expansive. I think the Broncos have a huge following.....just not east of the Mississippi. Pittsburgh vs. Denver is unsexy? Good grief. The two teams only have 6 Super Bowl titles and 12 Super Bowl appearances between the two of them. It's two of the AFC's all-time heavyweights squaring off. Gene W is out to lunch......

wow! ....and here i thought ESPN-terTAINMENT!!!! was only ######ed in their coverage of College football. Yea, i really care if its not Pats/Colts. No way i watch now. :rolleyes:I love it when new teams make it deep in the playoffs.GO Jake Delhomme!!! That dude threw three, Fourth Quarter TD passes against my puny high school when we were up by 17...Dude was a winner then and is now....also Peyton had a ball go through his legs while he was playing SS in the state finals against us that cost them the championship...he was a choker then too. :thumbup: :thumbup:

The Denver area is booming....I would not refer to it as a small market. Besides the Broncos are huge not just in their own state, but in all the mountain states from Wyoming to Utah to Idaho and in New Mexcio, western Kansas & Nebraska and the Dakotas. Granted, some of those aren't heavily populated states, but the Bronco nation is pretty rabid and expansive. I think the Broncos have a huge following.....just not east of the Mississippi. Pittsburgh vs. Denver is unsexy? Good grief. The two teams only have 6 Super Bowl titles and 12 Super Bowl appearances between the two of them. It's two of the AFC's all-time heavyweights squaring off. Gene W is out to lunch......
Even East of the Mississippi... I hear all the talk about how large the Raider Nation is, but I see more Broncos Jerseys than Raiders jerseys, Cowboys jerseys, and Colt jerseys COMBINED come gamedays. That's in Florida, too.Pittsburgh is also pretty common, as well as, for some odd reason, Cleveland.

I think what Gene W. means when he says "unsexy" is "high-quality teams that all rank in the top 10 in both scoring offense AND scoring defense"Seriously, though... the reason these teams are "unsexy" is because they all prefer running to passing. In today's NFL, that's a great way to win games, but not a great way to become a "sexy" team.

Even East of the Mississippi... I hear all the talk about how large the Raider Nation is, but I see more Broncos Jerseys than Raiders jerseys, Cowboys jerseys, and Colt jerseys COMBINED come gamedays. That's in Florida, too.

Pittsburgh is also pretty common, as well as, for some odd reason, Cleveland.
The Denver D-Line had to do something with their old shirts.

I think what Gene W. means when he says "unsexy" is "high-quality teams that all rank in the top 10 in both scoring offense AND scoring defense"

Seriously, though... the reason these teams are "unsexy" is because they all prefer running to passing. In today's NFL, that's a great way to win games, but not a great way to become a "sexy" team.
:goodposting: I think "sexy" in this case would be something like Bengals vs Colts. High scoring shootout scenarios. As a football fan I find a Denver vs. Pitt match up just as exciting a possibility (although I don't particulary care for either team), but we are getting to that time where these games start to draw a bigger crowd. I wouldn't consider running defensive battles all that exciting to your average Joe (assuming the game plays out as billed).

I don't think it's East Coast snobbery.  I'm sure ESPN and the rest wouldn't have minded seeing Dallas or Green Bay in the NFC Title Game right now, and Indianapolis isn't on the east coast last I checked.  The sports media, and presumably NFL execs, will always prefer some combination of: (1) teams with nationwide fan followings; (2) marquee players (Favre, Manning); and (3) compelling storylines, i.e. Colts/Patriots again, with all of the various subplots.  That helps grab the casual fan.  True football fans of course will always be interested in championship football no matter who is playing. Our (non-homer-type) interest is simply in quality NFL action.

Even East of the Mississippi... I hear all the talk about how large the Raider Nation is, but I see more Broncos Jerseys than Raiders jerseys, Cowboys jerseys, and Colt jerseys COMBINED come gamedays. That's in Florida, too.Pittsburgh is also pretty common, as well as, for some odd reason, Cleveland.
Don't let the terrible streak we're in fool you. The Browns have one of the largest fan bases in the league.

Even East of the Mississippi... I hear all the talk about how large the Raider Nation is, but I see more Broncos Jerseys than Raiders jerseys, Cowboys jerseys, and Colt jerseys COMBINED come gamedays. That's in Florida, too.

Nope. The funny thing is they're mostly Tim Couch jerseys. :)
Don't let the terrible streak we're in fool you. The Browns have one of the largest fan bases in the league.
I just find it odd, because there's no such Browns following in any of the other areas I have been in.

A Seattle-Denver Super Bowl is also a rematch of the 97 Super Bowl head coaches (Holmgren vs. Shanahan). That turned out to be a damn good game. Not a bad subplot.

Yeah, the Steelers and Broncos have two of the most rabid fan bases in the league. Most people realize that about Pittsburgh, but it could get missed in terms of the Broncos if you live in the East. The Broncos' following is huge west of the Mississippi. So, two huge fan bases in that game.

Nope. The funny thing is they're mostly Tim Couch jerseys. :)
I just find it odd, because there's no such Browns following in any of the other areas I have been in.
Well, unless you lived out of country, and even then...Browns Backers

Yeah, the Steelers and Broncos have two of the most rabid fan bases in the league. Most people realize that about Pittsburgh, but it could get missed in terms of the Broncos if you live in the East. The Broncos' following is huge west of the Mississippi. So, two huge fan bases in that game.
I don't see the Steelers comparison. I've lived all up and down the West Coast and traveled a fair amount for work and Steelers fans are just about everywhere you go. They have an enormous following. Denver fans seem relegated to the mountain states. Whether or not the fans are as "rabid" is a matter of opinion of course. I don't consider the fan base size really a good or a bad thing so that's not meant to be a shot at Denver or a compliment to the Steelers.

A Seattle-Denver Super Bowl is also a rematch of the 97 Super Bowl head coaches (Holmgren vs. Shanahan). That turned out to be a damn good game. Not a bad subplot.
If Seattle made it, Holmgren could be the first coach in the history of the league to coach two different franchises to a super bowl victory.

Not saying it's a small market. They just won't spend the $$ on licensed product that fans do in Chicago, NE, Philly, or Pitt.Pitt also has the added plus of not having won in 30+ years.

I'm not making this up. I'm in the licensed sports industry, and the numbers right now for Denver are not great, and haven't been great all year. There may be a situation like Chicago with the White Sox with a large number of "fans" buying Champ product that didn't buy product previously. But, right now, the NFL is not thrilled with the numbers from Denver, Seattle, or Carolina...especially compared to what they could have been with Chicago.

I thought ESPN loved USC though?J
What's not to like about the team located dead center in the second largest market in the U.S., especially when that team has no pro team to compete with for attention?

Users who are viewing this thread