What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Super Bowl 49 discussion thread: Seahawks vs Patriots (Poll added) (2 Viewers)

Who do you think will win?

• Seahawks

Votes: 118 41.5%
  • Patriots

Votes: 166 58.5%

• Total voters
Good game Pats. I seriously overestimated the LOB and the quicks and toughness of New England's WR's.

Regardless of that stupid play call at the end, Brady still brought the team back from 10 down (again).

I was wrong and much respect to the Patriots.
An error occurredYou have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Good game Pats. I seriously overestimated the LOB and the quicks and toughness of New England's WR's.

Regardless of that stupid play call at the end, Brady still brought the team back from 10 down (again).

I was wrong and much respect to the Patriots.
well, it wasn't tremendously different than that game in 2012

brady is :moneybag: against that kind of defense

Madden predicting the Pats to win 28-24 on a late TD catch to Edelman now seems a bit scary.
did that really happen??

I mean the prediction
Story link

Not only did Madden NFL 15 accurately predict that the New England Patriots would mount a last minute comeback to defeat the Seattle Seahawks by a score of 28-24, it even foresaw Tom Brady’s fourth-quarter game-winning pass to Julian Edelman.

And that was just the tip of the prognostication iceberg.

Madden predicted New England would score first in the game. It predicted Tom Brady would take home the MVP trophy. It was 27 yards off Brady’s total passing yardage (355 vs. 328) and got his total touchdowns (4). It was only 3 yards and 1 catch away from perfectly calling Julian Edelman’s entire game.
:eek:

I don't get anyone saying the game was sloppy or poorly played either, I thought both teams played a great game. :shrug:
Brady and Wilson were pretty meh most of the game.

Just was not a great played game by either offense for most of it.
I was locked in so maybe you're right. I thought both teams did exactly what they were supposed to do and the game was decided by one yard. If I were a neutral fan, I would have really enjoyed that game.
I thought Brady and Wilson played pretty good. Definitely much better than the QB play in the NFC championship game. They weren't lights out but both showed a tremendous amount of leadership near the end of the game.
are you people still trolling even after that game??
How is my post trolling? I said your golden boy played a good game.
I'd be curious as to your standards if you guys didn't think both those dudes weren't pretty awesome

Mr. Know-It-All said:
I rooted against Patriots hard this game - cannot stand the perception of cheating and arrogance from Belichik....but, mad props to that organization to be so consistently good. Essentially two really good players and a system - but they won another championship. Unreal, but props to them.
Two really good players?

You are seriously underrating the defense.
Just talking offense - I am a big fan of Chandler Jones, Ninkovich and Jamie Collins. Just saying when you look at the roster it amazes me how consistently good they are. Just guys that do work.

Great article on MMQB about the game.

It doesn’t look like it’s the end for this group. The Patriots were the youngest team ever to win a Super Bowl, with an average age of 25.2 years. They repelled Seattle’s bid to join greatness, and solidified their own legacy thanks to a historic performance from Brady, who set a Super Bowl record with 37 completions on 50 attempts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Madden predicting the Pats to win 28-24 on a late TD catch to Edelman now seems a bit scary.
did that really happen??

I mean the prediction
Story link

Not only did Madden NFL 15 accurately predict that the New England Patriots would mount a last minute comeback to defeat the Seattle Seahawks by a score of 28-24, it even foresaw Tom Brady’s fourth-quarter game-winning pass to Julian Edelman.

Madden predicted New England would score first in the game. It predicted Tom Brady would take home the MVP trophy. It was 27 yards off Brady’s total passing yardage (355 vs. 328) and got his total touchdowns (4). It was only 3 yards and 1 catch away from perfectly calling Julian Edelman’s entire game.
That just goes to show the power of Madden...

I don't get anyone saying the game was sloppy or poorly played either, I thought both teams played a great game. :shrug:
Brady and Wilson were pretty meh most of the game.

Just was not a great played game by either offense for most of it.
I was locked in so maybe you're right. I thought both teams did exactly what they were supposed to do and the game was decided by one yard. If I were a neutral fan, I would have really enjoyed that game.
I thought Brady and Wilson played pretty good. Definitely much better than the QB play in the NFC championship game. They weren't lights out but both showed a tremendous amount of leadership near the end of the game.
are you people still trolling even after that game??
How is my post trolling? I said your golden boy played a good game.
I'd be curious as to your standards if you guys didn't think both those dudes weren't pretty awesome
I honestly have no clue why you keep quoting me. I already said both Wilson and Brady played a pretty good game. Are you trolling me or just extremely insecure?

I can't believe how clutch Wilson was in this game. That second quarter touchdown with seconds left was just absurd. The momentum in the third quarter was just ridiculous. And it was too easy how they drove to the goal line at the end.

Couple that with the green bay comeback and they are going to be in people's heads for a long time.

And the amazing thing is how he did it with secondary receivers like the foot locker kid. there's no question in my mind that Russell Wilson is special.
Yeah that pick on the goal line was about as clutch as Jay Cutler. He got very very lucky to be in a position to blow this game. The heave of a 2 point conversion against Green Bay, the Bostick flub to keep them in it, winning the coin toss in OT, the Kearse catch of that bouncing ball....his luck just finally ran out. In the next three seasons, we'll see just how special he is. I'm not saying he isn't. He's been very good at what he's been asked to do. But he hasn't carried a team yet. Seattle with a guy like or Eli Manning or Kyle Orton still wins 10 games.
Mostly agree. He looked like garbage against GB for most of the game, and frankly he didn't look great throwing the ball yesterday either. He just heaved it up and prayed. Well, sorry Russell, but this time "God" wasn't there to answer the call.I really like Wilson - though I hate the Seahawks - but he needs to show more as a passer before he can be viewed as elite. That said, if he had talent around him at WR my gut says he would be pretty darn good....

109 pass attempts at the 1-yard line in the NFL this past year...

...no INTs until yesterday...

bad play call, but an undrafted rookie just jumped the route and made a play

did that really happen??

I mean the prediction
Story link
Not only did Madden NFL 15 accurately predict that the New England Patriots would mount a last minute comeback to defeat the Seattle Seahawks by a score of 28-24, it even foresaw Tom Bradys fourth-quarter game-winning pass to Julian Edelman.

Madden predicted New England would score first in the game. It predicted Tom Brady would take home the MVP trophy. It was 27 yards off Bradys total passing yardage (355 vs. 328) and got his total touchdowns (4). It was only 3 yards and 1 catch away from perfectly calling Julian Edelmans entire game.
That just goes to show the power of Madden...
Yea, but does it know who Chris Matthews is?? Does anyone?!

Wilson is a very special game manager. He's not going to put up great numbers but he won't cost you the game. Unless it's the super bowl. He'll be good for 3400/25/10.. not sure where that places him among QBs, probably middle of the pack. All of this "greatness" talk and putting him in the HoF already is just ridiculous though.

The General said:
When Lynch moved to the left of Wilson I was think WTF play is this. Throwing to Lockette for the game with Lynch and a TO at the 1 after getting that miracle catch by Kearse. That was beyond bad call.

Great game by the Pats. Great play by that kid jumping that route. Brady on those last 2 drives, stud.

Such a brutal end but a great season.
This really needs discussed more because it wasn't so long ago (week 5 or so) when a lot of people had sais his run was over, he didn't have it, etc. Those last two drives last night reminded me of him when he was 28 or 29 and just seemed to always know the exact inch the defense was giving him and took it.
In the 4th QTR down 10 against the legion of boom. 14 of 16 for 139 yards 2 TD's and 0 interceptions.Largest 4th QTR comeback in Superbowl history.
Not only was it the largest 4th quarter comeback in Superbowl history, it was the largest comeback at any point in the game. The fact the Pats did it in the 4th quarter agains that defense is incredible.

Guys, I'm still waiting for my torrent of the game to come down. Can somebody tell me if Lockette was supposed to box out on that play? Just from the replay it looked like 'hawks had a rub play going and Lockette didn't know Butler was behind him because he thought the pick had worked. Is that right?

Asking because of Bevell's "could've gone for the ball harder" thing..

Wilson is a very special game manager. He's not going to put up great numbers but he won't cost you the game. Unless it's the super bowl. He'll be good for 3400/25/10.. not sure where that places him among QBs, probably middle of the pack. All of this "greatness" talk and putting him in the HoF already is just ridiculous though.
You conveniently forgot about those 600-800 rushing yards he'll get every year plus the TDs. He throws an elite level deep ball as was seen all last night.

Point is, if you wanna fault him for that throw then that's fair. He should have never been asked to make that play in the first place.

The General said:
When Lynch moved to the left of Wilson I was think WTF play is this. Throwing to Lockette for the game with Lynch and a TO at the 1 after getting that miracle catch by Kearse. That was beyond bad call.

Great game by the Pats. Great play by that kid jumping that route. Brady on those last 2 drives, stud.

Such a brutal end but a great season.
This really needs discussed more because it wasn't so long ago (week 5 or so) when a lot of people had sais his run was over, he didn't have it, etc. Those last two drives last night reminded me of him when he was 28 or 29 and just seemed to always know the exact inch the defense was giving him and took it.
In the 4th QTR down 10 against the legion of boom. 14 of 16 for 139 yards 2 TD's and 0 interceptions.Largest 4th QTR comeback in Superbowl history.
Not only was it the largest 4th quarter comeback in Superbowl history, it was the largest comeback at any point in the game. The fact the Pats did it in the 4th quarter agains that defense is incredible.
That was a case of the football gods at work, too. If Pats had lost because of that freaking Kearse catch, it would have really been beyond tragic.

Also, I said this yesterday. Think it's funny. Seattle sideline strategy meeting:

Bevell: Okay pull something out of your ###, kid.

Guys, I'm still waiting for my torrent of the game to come down. Can somebody tell me if Lockette was supposed to box out on that play? Just from the replay it looked like 'hawks had a rub play going and Lockette didn't know Butler was behind him because he thought the pick had worked. Is that right?

I've watched the play at least 25 times now. There wasn't much Lockette could do there. People aren't going to like this, but that was not the best throw there by Russell Wilson. He waited a split second too Lon to throw it. I thought maybe it was because he had a lineman in the way, but having watched it from every angle he had a wide open lane there. Not a horrible throw mind you, but RW's post game comment about it being off "an inch" was a bit disingenuous.Just a great play by Malcolm Butler. That's the story line here. The kid made a huge play a a huge time. And he came oh so close to dropping that ball too.

Well, it was a typical Carroll play.. use a player like a pick in basketball, use the midfield umpire like a pick in basketball, use your linemen to push your running back..

I'm honestly surprised he didn't run a trap play and pull a guard and tackle to get behind Lynch and push him in for the TD.

Butler has to defend 3 routes - a quick out, a fade, and an inside slant. Lockett didn't sell anything. Kearse was supposed to rub Butler, he didn't a very good job. Wilson shouldn't have thrown the ball seeing that Butler didn't get moved off the coverage.

Lost in this is how true to Carroll's nature "the call" was. Because Wilson is so great off script people tend to think they're more seat-of-their-pants. But Carroll's a very conservative coach. He'll always take the field goal.

That was a by the book way to use the three plays they had.

Butler has to defend 3 routes - a quick out, a fade, and an inside slant. Lockett didn't sell anything. Kearse was supposed to rub Butler, he didn't a very good job. Wilson shouldn't have thrown the ball seeing that Butler didn't get moved off the coverage.
Credit to Browner here. Kearse didn't get the rub because Browner stoned him at the line.

Lost in this is how true to Carroll's nature "the call" was. Because Wilson is so great off script people tend to think they're more seat-of-their-pants. But Carroll's a very conservative coach. He'll always take the field goal.

I strongly disagree with this. He's tendency during his tenure here in Seattle has been the opposite of this when its been a legitimate choice. He has commented directly about this tendency and how its due to being at USC when he knew he had the dominant talent most of the time. If its important to you I could try to find the specific game where he apologized in the post game for not kicking the field goal.

Credit to Browner here. Kearse didn't get the rub because Browner stoned him at the line.
yeah, agreed. Not a good job by either of the WRs involved - I think Lockett is the one that really blew it here though - he needs to show Butler something other than that quick slant route. Butler didn't hesitate - he went straight for that spot from go.

I strongly disagree with this. He's tendency during his tenure here in Seattle has been the opposite of this when its been a legitimate choice. He has commented directly about this tendency and how its due to being at USC when he knew he had the dominant talent most of the time. If its important to you I could try to find the specific game where he apologized in the post game for not kicking the field goal.
Willing to be corrected. Sometimes I'll file stuff away that somebody said, then I'll forget if it was Greg Cosell or Skip Bayless who said it. Pretty sure I have heard it about Carroll, though.

Sometimes I'll file stuff away that somebody said, then I'll forget if it was Greg Cosell or Skip Bayless who said it. Pretty sure I have heard it about Carroll, though.
The conservative approach is no doubt their overall philosophy. They've drafted specifically to build a team that has an all encompassing synergistic approach. Both offense and defense compliment each other.

Defense:

1. Play disciplined defense making teams execute long drives to score.

2. Don't give up the big plays over the top.

3. Sell out to stop the run by being the more physical team.

4. Limit explosive plays.

Offense:

1. Ball security above all else.

2. Control the clock with the running game allowing the defense to rest.

3. Create a shorter game with less plays by both teams.

4. Look to create explosive play opportunities.

Carroll likes to define "explosive plays" as passes of at least 16 yards (might be wrong on this specific number) and run plays of at least 12 yards. They want to lead the league in both of these categories on offense and defense. Pretty sure they did that this year.

yeah, agreed. Not a good job by either of the WRs involved - I think Lockett is the one that really blew it here though - he needs to show Butler something other than that quick slant route. Butler didn't hesitate - he went straight for that spot from go.
Steve Young briefly mentioned that Wilson should have thrown it to the back (left) shoulder to avoid just that sort of route jumping. if anything, it becomes an incomplete pass. i know it's easy to say it in retrospect, but heck we are all saying to run the ball anyway...

if you haven't seen it yet: there's a great meme of the Nationwide commercial kid saying he would have run the ball with lynch..."but i died"

Steve Young briefly mentioned that Wilson should have thrown it to the back (left) shoulder to avoid just that sort of route jumping. if anything, it becomes an incomplete pass. i know it's easy to say it in retrospect, but heck we are all saying to run the ball anyway...

if you haven't seen it yet: there's a great meme of the Nationwide commercial kid saying he would have run the ball with lynch..."but i died"
lol

I can't believe how clutch Wilson was in this game. That second quarter touchdown with seconds left was just absurd. The momentum in the third quarter was just ridiculous. And it was too easy how they drove to the goal line at the end.

Couple that with the green bay comeback and they are going to be in people's heads for a long time.

And the amazing thing is how he did it with secondary receivers like the foot locker kid. there's no question in my mind that Russell Wilson is special.
Yeah that pick on the goal line was about as clutch as Jay Cutler. He got very very lucky to be in a position to blow this game. The heave of a 2 point conversion against Green Bay, the Bostick flub to keep them in it, winning the coin toss in OT, the Kearse catch of that bouncing ball....his luck just finally ran out. In the next three seasons, we'll see just how special he is. I'm not saying he isn't. He's been very good at what he's been asked to do. But he hasn't carried a team yet. Seattle with a guy like or Eli Manning or Kyle Orton still wins 10 games.
:lmao:
:homer: :lmao:

Raider Nation said:
Gotta love Malcolm Butler (WHO?!?!?!) running junk after a dropped pass.
RaiderNation's posts in this thread are the stuff of legend. Just one of many many jewels in here lol.
Funny how you had nothing to say about it at the time. The only person who knew who Malcom Butler was before today was his mother.
Keep trolling dude. I admire your tenacity. Even after we win the Superbowl in an epic comeback you're still keeping up the good fight. How's that deflategate probe coming?
:confused: Do I know you?
You mad bro?
Not particularly. Just wondering if maybe I hurt your feelings at some point, because I never noticed you before now.
LOL. I don give a rat's ### if your Royal Highness has noticed me or not. I've noticed you. Hard not to when you make 80,000 posts - most of which denigrating the Pats and their fans. Been listening to your #### for about 7 years now, and guess what? Tonight you don't get to spew your #### anymore. Just ####, tip your cap, and go to bed like a good little boy. Maybe you'll wake up and it will all have been a bad dream.MAN that felt good.
You mad bro?

Huh?

A very conservative play with six seconds to go in the first half, too...right?

Here are a couple of looks at it. Pretty sure the Seahawks thought they had exactly what they thought, and Butler just made an amazing reaction play.

Pic

Vine

Here are a couple of looks at it. Pretty sure the Seahawks thought they had exactly what they thought, and Butler just made an amazing reaction play.

Pic

Vine
On that vine you linked, it really looked like Kearse was trying hard to get inside and up to rub Butler, but Browner stood him up perfectly. Browner deserves a huge assist on that.

Edit: two_dollars is quick

I'm not a fan of Shank but Shaughnessy tosses out a good one in today's column:

"And the record will show that 15 years after he was fired by Kraft, Carroll finally delivered a Lombardi trophy to New England."

Or a ricochet and potential pick. I would think ideally you want to throw that ball down, so the receiver is really the only one who can get to it. Kinda wonder if Wilson's height hurt him there.

@Gil_Brandt: Marshawn Lynch had 5 carries from the 1-yard line this season. He scored once.
THAT is a suprising but extremely relevant stat...

I'd love to see New England's goal line Defense stats.
Is it really? Three consecutive tries from 3 feet out. That number of 5 will almost double. I'd bet my life savings Lynch would get in one of those three tries. But alas, we'll never know.

In the first half on the play with 6 sec left from the 12 yd line. Why doesn't NE play tight bump and run coverage, and just grab the WR and bring him down. Worst case, its a 5 yard penalty, time runs off on the play, and SEA still has to kick the FG.

Its similar to everyone holding on an intention safety to get more time off the clock.

Pic

Vine
Both show that blaming Wilson for throwing the ball there is wrong..

At the time Wilson is about to release the ball in the pic, his receiver is "Open" and the pick plays looks like it will work as the other defender, from Wilson's view, looks bottled up..

It was a great play by Butler on a stupid call by Bevell.

:2cents:

:lmao:
:homer: :lmao:
Not too far off on Orton. We saw exactly what he'd do as the talentless offensive shepherd on a team with an excellent defense. 9 wins. I think most would say SEA's D and Lynch were both superior enough that it'd get him one more win. BUF had better WR's, but it wasn't like Orton could do anything with them.

I think Eli easily gets that team to at least 12 wins with all the same breaks. :shrug: Eli can't run, but he's a much better passer than Wilson. The only thing people usually hold against him is the picks, but he's trying to high-risk force things with a less talented team. We've seen multiple times he's more than good enough to lead a better team to a title.

Users who are viewing this thread