What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Super Bowl 49 discussion thread: Seahawks vs Patriots (Poll added) (1 Viewer)

Who do you think will win?

• Seahawks

Votes: 118 41.5%
  • Patriots

Votes: 166 58.5%

• Total voters
Great photo. Butler emotional. These kids work so hard. It's great.
Man that's an awesome shot. Good for him...

It really is impressive how Belichick, for all his ornery-ness, gets most of his guys to buy into the system 100%. The fact that the system works so well doesn't hurt.
Gotta be a confidence there, right? A sense that Bill won't leave you hanging out to dry. That he will have you as ready as he can, so you can be great. Belichick is on Rushmore now and haters bedamned.

It really is impressive how Belichick, for all his ornery-ness, gets most of his guys to buy into the system 100%. The fact that the system works so well doesn't hurt.
Same could be said for Darrell Bevell, except that in his case it's a negative. Wilson needs to hear that playcall and think "we're throwing from the 1?? pfft.. yea right" and then audible to handoff.

Same could be said for Darrell Bevell, except that in his case it's a negative. Wilson needs to hear that playcall and think "we're throwing from the 1?? pfft.. yea right" and then audible to handoff.
in the ESPN post game interviews, one of the panel members asked Brady if he checks out of that call and runs the ball...i thought it was a great question, but unfortunately Brady and the panel just laughed it off...

Man that's an awesome shot. Good for him... It really is impressive how Belichick, for all his ornery-ness, gets most of his guys to buy into the system 100%. The fact that the system works so well doesn't hurt.
in the ESPN post game interviews, one of the panel members asked Brady if he checks out of that call and runs the ball...i thought it was a great question, but unfortunately Brady and the panel just laughed it off...
Wilson said when he heard the call he just trusted it because he trusts his coaches. This one specific instance might have changed that.. but with a guy like Wilson I'm not sure :shrug: (maybe that's a good thing? again this specific instance makes that hard to see)

interesting question though, I think we know Peyton's answer, would like to know Brady's.

snogger said:
Dickie Dunn said:
Old Smiley said:
Guys, I'm still waiting for my torrent of the game to come down. Can somebody tell me if Lockette was supposed to box out on that play? Just from the replay it looked like 'hawks had a rub play going and Lockette didn't know Butler was behind him because he thought the pick had worked. Is that right?

Asking because of Bevell's "could've gone for the ball harder" thing..
Here are a couple of looks at it. Pretty sure the Seahawks thought they had exactly what they thought, and Butler just made an amazing reaction play.

Pic

Vine
Both show that blaming Wilson for throwing the ball there is wrong..

At the time Wilson is about to release the ball in the pic, his receiver is "Open" and the pick plays looks like it will work as the other defender, from Wilson's view, looks bottled up..

It was a great play by Butler on a stupid call by Bevell.

:2cents:
I think Wilson should have put that ball about 2 feet lower than he did.

Baloney Sandwich said:
I'm not a fan of Shank but Shaughnessy tosses out a good one in today's column:

"And the record will show that 15 years after he was fired by Kraft, Carroll finally delivered a Lombardi trophy to New England."
Shaughnessy is such a ####### hack.

snogger said:
Dickie Dunn said:
Old Smiley said:
Guys, I'm still waiting for my torrent of the game to come down. Can somebody tell me if Lockette was supposed to box out on that play? Just from the replay it looked like 'hawks had a rub play going and Lockette didn't know Butler was behind him because he thought the pick had worked. Is that right?

Asking because of Bevell's "could've gone for the ball harder" thing..
Here are a couple of looks at it. Pretty sure the Seahawks thought they had exactly what they thought, and Butler just made an amazing reaction play.

Pic

Vine
Both show that blaming Wilson for throwing the ball there is wrong..

At the time Wilson is about to release the ball in the pic, his receiver is "Open" and the pick plays looks like it will work as the other defender, from Wilson's view, looks bottled up..

It was a great play by Butler on a stupid call by Bevell.

:2cents:
I think Wilson should have put that ball about 2 feet lower than he did.
That I could see as a valid argument.. I was reading many posts that said Wilson shouldn't have thrown it at all based on the read which is :loco:

so 24 hrs later have you guys reached the conclusion that somebody should have done something differently?
nah, it's football. Brady was money in the 4th quarter, picked apart the best secondary in the game on two successive drives. Seattle was in a position to win and a rookie DB made a hell of a read and react play with a big assist from Browner. I for one don't think it was that bad of a play call but I'd rather have seen them just go to Lynch again on 2nd down and worry about what to do on 3rd and 4th if it came to that. It's only being questioned because it resulted in an INT (the least likely of many possible outcomes).

Congrats, feels good to be champs.

Last edited by a moderator:
This years Patriots team was the youngest team in NFL history to win a Super Bowl. Average age is 25.2. Wow. That's scary for the rest of the league going forward..

This years Patriots team was the youngest team in NFL history to win a Super Bowl. Average age is 25.2. Wow. That's scary for the rest of the league going forward..
I'd be more scared if Brady wasn't heading into year 16. You've got other key roster spots that will likely be gone in a couple of years (Wilfork, Revis, Ninkovich). Plus you've got big question marks at RB and WR moving forward (and I happen to like most of those guys as players, not really Blount) as long as Brady is playing at a high level those guys are fine pieces but once he's gone I'm not so sure.

I'd be more scared if Brady wasn't heading into year 16. You've got other key roster spots that will likely be gone in a couple of years (Wilfork, Revis, Ninkovich). Plus you've got big question marks at RB and WR moving forward (and I happen to like most of those guys as players, not really Blount) as long as Brady is playing at a high level those guys are fine pieces but once he's gone I'm not so sure.
But unlike Manning, Brady has not really shown his age much. I think their window is still open for a couple more years at least, and by then they might have his heir apparent.

Not trying to disqualify Brady, but imo the Pats will win as long as Bellicheck coaches. As long as the QB can do what Bellicheck asks (which doesn't take generational talent to do) the Pats will be contendors.

Free agent receiver catches the first TD, free agent mid season add is their starting RB. It's not like the Pats are dominant because they're outclassing the league with talent. Bellicheck somehow almost always finds a winning strategy and is smart enough to use it (a RB with 10 catches, maybe even should have been 15, hat tip to Bellicheck).

I also thinking getting rid of Welker played a significant role in the Pats not suffering another crushingly improbable SB defeat.

ArbyMelt said:
In the first half on the play with 6 sec left from the 12 yd line. Why doesn't NE play tight bump and run coverage, and just grab the WR and bring him down. Worst case, its a 5 yard penalty, time runs off on the play, and SEA still has to kick the FG.

Its similar to everyone holding on an intention safety to get more time off the clock.
Or the "foul to give" in basketball.

Great thought.

Baloney Sandwich said:
I'm not a fan of Shank but Shaughnessy tosses out a good one in today's column:

"And the record will show that 15 years after he was fired by Kraft, Carroll finally delivered a Lombardi trophy to New England."
He's such a #####. Wrongly ripping Pete Carroll and wrongly discounting the Pats win, all in one

I can't believe how clutch Wilson was in this game. That second quarter touchdown with seconds left was just absurd. The momentum in the third quarter was just ridiculous. And it was too easy how they drove to the goal line at the end.

Couple that with the green bay comeback and they are going to be in people's heads for a long time.

And the amazing thing is how he did it with secondary receivers like the foot locker kid. there's no question in my mind that Russell Wilson is special.
Wilson was very good at times. Brady was fantastic when it mattered. Both are great QB's and leaders that deserved a W.I'm amazed at how much these guys both get out of really modest WR talent. I'm willing to say Edleman is probably a top 25 WR in the league but he was, what, a 7th rounder? Amendola I still say is a cheap knock-off of Welker in his prime (sans the toughness). LaFell is JAG. Gronkowski is a beast, of course.

For Seattle Baldwin truly #### the field IMHO. How hard is it to act like you've been there before when you were actually there before, just last year? His act has grown tired and he played like an undrafted free agent. Kearse is a guy you want to pull for- and I admit I wish he could've found a way to take that miracle catch into the endzone so Brady would have enough time to drive the Pats down field for a FG to take it to OT. But Kearse has some fantastically erratic hands and really blew his assigment on the interception. In the end, he too looked like an UFA. Im too lazy to look it up on my phone, but I'm not sure if Russell Wilson completed a pass to a WR yesterday who was actually drafted. The most impressive and consistent receiver he had was a guy who had never caught a pass in the NFL and wasn't up to speed enough to be in on all packages. That's just bizarre.

Congrats to all you Pats fans on a hard fought win. I'm happy for a kid like Butler to make that play after getting beat on the Hail Mary. He made a hell of a play; that's got to be an incredible feeling to ride that roller coaster.

so 24 hrs later have you guys reached the conclusion that somebody should have done something differently?
There's no guarantee if something is done differently that works. Also if it's replayed with them doing the same thing it could have turned out differently. Because hindsight is 20/20 sure, I'd rather they have done literally anything differently. I'd rather them run off tackle with Sherman than that.

It's pretty easy to criticize when you already know the outcome. I'd rather not do that. :shrug:

I'm waiting for ScottyDog to show up and eat some crow after his 38-10 Seattle prediction and his lack of respect for the Patriots. Too bad he probably won't post for months now. :lmao:

I'm waiting for ScottyDog to show up and eat some crow after his 38-10 Seattle prediction and his lack of respect for the Patriots. Too bad he probably won't post for months now. :lmao:
This kind of reaction I don't get. Your team wins the Super Bowl, and the next day the thing you're the most excited about is rubbing the losing team's fans nose in it? Yikes.

How can a team be this undisciplined in a championship game?
That's what happens when you beat up on an easy schedule for most of the season
Stolen from the NFC thread, had to point this one out because devouredbyamoron is one of the worst posters on this board.Seahawks have the #1 SOS among ALL playoff teams. :bye:
Too bad that #1 SOS stat didn't help the Seahawks win last night.. :)

if you're looking more than 2-3 years out in the nfl you're bull####ting yourself

they're looking fantastic going into next year ---- best they've looked in a long time

it's all about re-upping mccourty and revis, and how injuries shake out next year

How can a team be this undisciplined in a championship game?
That's what happens when you beat up on an easy schedule for most of the season
Stolen from the NFC thread, had to point this one out because devouredbyamoron is one of the worst posters on this board.Seahawks have the #1 SOS among ALL playoff teams. :bye:
Too bad that #1 SOS stat didn't help the Seahawks win last night.. :)
now that they played the pats their sos is even tougher

This kind of reaction I don't get. Your team wins the Super Bowl, and the next day the thing you're the most excited about is rubbing the losing team's fans nose in it? Yikes.
After all the "cheating" accusations and how a majority of the Seahawks fans thought they already had this game won last week..yep :) It feels good to gloat and bask in the glory of the Patriots success! You're reply is typical of a salty fan who had their heart crushed. Sucks huh?? Lol

Larry, read this
I don't really agree with it, but I think it's defensible

any seattle fan ripping a guy who got them to 2 sb right now is a ####### doosh

carroll explained his thinking, it was perfectly sensible, we don't know what would have happened otherwise, and maybe there are a dozen instances of him doing this successfully that went unnoticed

it's absolutely pointless to pick out 1 guy to crucify and second guess #### after the fact

I'm assuming you linked that for me based ona sarcastic comment I made about everybody in here posting what seattle should have done 24 hrs later?

btw, you don't need a game theory article written up by some goof to justify it -- coming from carroll is defense enough, unless you think he's an idiot

Scary as long as Brady keeps his fastball. After watching him this year, no reason to think he can't. He actually looked better in the pocket moving around than he had in a few years. Even showed some of that in SB 49's 4th quarter.

I love how Brady is both the unquestioned team leader at the most critical position and elder statesman on the team at age 37.

I remember years ago after the 49ers won their 4th Super Bowl, Sports Illustrated ran a shot of the 5 guys who had won all 4 titles: Montana, Lott, Keena Turner and two I forget. If SI ran that same shot for the Pats, Brady stands alone in that pic. Amazing he is part of titles 13 years apart, with two in between.

Congrats Pats fans. Fully inflated balls and everything. I have no idea how they do it without any run game. But well deserved, seriously.

Still, there's what? 1500 players in the NFL ? and hypothetically if you wanted to pick one player out who would virtually guarantee you 1 yard near the end of the game, who would that be?? Lynch of course!!

Congrats Pats fans. Fully inflated balls and everything. I have no idea how they do it without any run game. But well deserved, seriously.

Still, there's what? 1500 players in the NFL ? and hypothetically if you wanted to pick one player out who would virtually guarantee you 1 yard near the end of the game, who would that be?? Lynch of course!!
I read he was 5 for 12 from the 1 yard line this year.

I read he was 5 for 12 from the 1 yard line this year.
so give it to him twice.

BTW, I am not sure if this was pointed out or not, but after Seattle started getting good pressure in the 2nd half, in the 4th quarter, Brady made several plays where he stepped forward in the pocket while the pass rushers ended up several yards behind him. I thought that was a very smart adjustment.

BTW, I am not sure if this was pointed out or not, but after Seattle started getting good pressure in the 2nd half, in the 4th quarter, Brady made several plays where he stepped forward in the pocket while the pass rushers ended up several yards behind him. I thought that was a very smart adjustment.
yes it was a great adjustment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scary as long as Brady keeps his fastball. After watching him this year, no reason to think he can't. He actually looked better in the pocket moving around than he had in a few years. Even showed some of that in SB 49's 4th quarter.

I love how Brady is both the unquestioned team leader at the most critical position and elder statesman on the team at age 37.

I remember years ago after the 49ers won their 4th Super Bowl, Sports Illustrated ran a shot of the 5 guys who had won all 4 titles: Montana, Lott, Keena Turner and two I forget. If SI ran that same shot for the Pats, Brady stands alone in that pic. Amazing he is part of titles 13 years apart, with two in between.
After his like 20 yard run someone asked him about it and he said part of this offseason he had been working on his mobility.

I don't have the stats, at the beginning of the post season, someone posted about how on the run last year Brady was 0/4 but this year he was like 80% for 250 yards and some TDs.

Oh yeah and cliff avril left the game...

One last thought... I've watched the Butler interception now at least 30 times. And each time I watch it, I thank God that Butler held onto that ball all the way through contact with the ground. If he bobbled that ball even just a little as it hit the ground, we would have had Dez Bryant x 1,000,000. It's not at all clear if he was going to the ground when he made that catch. Did he "gather himself" and make a football move? I think he did, but boy is it close.

The NFL dodged a bullet on that one. It is paramount that they fix the process rule in the offseason.

Last edited:
Oh yeah and cliff avril left the game...
Yeah, it sucks but I watched Talib come out of two playoff games, two years in a row. Early in those games. When he was the fulcrum off our defense. What Revis is now. Not just that he takes his guy essentially out of the game, but that he lets you scheme so much more freely everywhere else on D. I was like, "We are boned."

I feel ya, but whatdayado?

Some guy in the Brady thread spent hours researching my old posts and authoring a tear-stained novella about me and my mean words about the Patriots. It's impossible for them to enjoy their team's success unless everyone else in the free world acknowledges their greatness. The inferiority complex of this team's fanbase really is staggering.

One last thought... I've watched the Butler interception now at least 30 times. And each time I watch it, I thank God that Butler held onto that ball all the way through contact with the ground. If he bobbled that ball even just a little as it hit the ground, we would have had Dez Bryant x 1,000,000. It's not at all clear if he was going to the ground when he made that catch. Did he "gather himself" and make a football move? I think he did, but boy is it close.

The NFL dodged a bullet on that one. It is paramount that they fix the process rule in the offseason.
he made a football move.. i doubt they change the rule.

Some guy in the Brady thread spent hours researching my old posts and authoring a tear-stained novella about me and my mean words about the Patriots. It's impossible for them to enjoy their team's success unless everyone else in the free world acknowledges their greatness. The inferiority complex of this team's fanbase really is staggering.
one person does not represent a fan base. people posting in this forum does not represent a fan base. That goes for all teams.

one person does not represent a fan base. people posting in this forum does not represent a fan base. That goes for all teams.
You haven't noticed a common "RESPECT US, DAMMIT!" theme among all Pats fans? Because I sure have.

You haven't noticed a common "RESPECT US, DAMMIT!" theme among all Pats fans? Because I sure have.
My favorite theme of theirs is when you straight up beat them in a debate, and they resort to something about Brady/BB or will do their signature :lol: , :lmao: , or :cry: . Every time without exception. Whenever I'm scrolling through a thread and see one of those, I know it has at least a 50% chance of being a Pats fan. They're just like Yankee fans. When backed into a corner, "B-B-But....27 TITLES!"

My favorite theme of theirs is when you straight up beat them in a debate, and they resort to something about Brady/BB or will do their signature :lol: , :lmao: , or :cry: . Every time without exception. Whenever I'm scrolling through a thread and see one of those, I know it has at least a 50% chance of being a Pats fan. They're just like Yankee fans. When backed into a corner, "B-B-But....27 TITLES!"
Yeah, we suck.

Users who are viewing this thread