What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Commentary Draft (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
20 RBs through the first 24 picks? I suggest that the draft is a mockery. Why not just deal out the ADP's Top 24 RBs randomly and THEN start actually drafting. Yikes!

Thank god we can now start talking about this!Overall commentary of every two rounds is coming soon - I did League 2 and Bass N' Brew did League 1.I was really interssting reading the comments form League Two as they pretty much reflect a lot o fmy commentary.Sinrman - having drafted next to Aaron in the past, :Clintonmodeon: Ah feel yo' pain :Clintonmodeoff:

I love how Joe T continues taking shots at my picks. :brush: I happen to think he has a solid team, but considering his first 3 picks are every bit as likely to split time (Davis/Garner) or miss time (Lewis - trial?) as anyone else in the league, he sure talks a big game.Of the Survivor 1 teams through 4 rounds, I like Couch Potato's team (Moss, Faulk, Dunn, K.Jones) and Chase Stuart's team (Vick, Portis, Henry, Mason).Of the Survivor 2 teams through 4 rounds, Shawn Culcasi's team is solid (McNabb, Barlow, Faulk, K.Jones) as is David Yudkin's (F.Taylor, C.Brown, M. Vick, T.Barber).Colin

20 RBs through the first 24 picks? I suggest that the draft is a mockery. Why not just deal out the ADP's Top 24 RBs randomly and THEN start actually drafting. Yikes!
This was NOT an ADP draft.Go look at antsports' top-24 overall, and you see different players in 12-team league:s as the top-24 (sorry about the formatting): 1. Priest Holmes RB KCC 1.01.00 1.01 1.04 249 2. LaDainian Tomlinson RB SDC 1.01.89 1.01 1.04 248 3. Clinton Portis RB WAS 1.03.52 1.01 1.07 239 4. Ahman Green RB GBP 1.04.00 1.01 1.07 245 5. Deuce McAllister RB NOS 1.04.66 1.02 1.07 242 6. Shaun Alexander RB SEA 1.06.00 1.01 1.10 242 7. Jamal L. Lewis RB BAL 1.07.00 1.02 2.00 247 8. Ricky L. Williams RB MIA 1.070 1.02 2.00 240 9. Edgerrin James RB IND 1.09.00 1.03 2.04 243 10. Randy Moss WR MIN 1.10.00 1.01 2.07 233 11. Marshall Faulk RB STL 1.12.00 1.07 2.10 229 12. Fred Taylor RB JAC 1.12.53 1.07 2.08 244 13. Marvin Harrison WR IND 2.02.51 1.03 2.11 225 14. Kevan Barlow RB SFO 2.04.00 1.07 3.06 220 15. Domanick Davis RB HOU 2.04.00 1.06 3.04 241 16. Stephen Davis RB CAR 2.04.68 1.09 3.07 231 17. Torry Holt WR STL 2.05.00 1.09 3.03 217 18. Corey Dillon RB NEP 2.07.00 1.10 4.09 240 19. Rudi A. Johnson RB CIN 2.07.00 1.09 3.10 235 20. Daunte Culpepper QB MIN 2.07.96 1.07 3.11 236 21. Terrell Owens WR PHI 2.08.00 1.07 3.05 225 22. Travis Henry RB BUF 2.08.00 1.10 3.11 234 23. Peyton Manning QB IND 2.09.60 1.03 4.00 242

I'm partial to Portis, Domanick Davis, Culpepper and Gonzalez, myself, especially with passing TDs only being worth 4 points and TE receptions being worth 2 pts. each.

Finally! It is amazing how similar the two drafts are. I've placed them side by side and they are, for the most part, identical. 26 of 48 players are within 2 spots between the two boards. Most deviation is found between:C-Pep: #22 vs #31 (9 spots) J. Jones: 8 spotsBennet: 6 spotsStaley: 6 spotsWard: 6 spotsC Brown: 6 spotsMcNair: #43 vs. Not drafted yetDunn: 11 spots (#48 vs. #37 :eek: )

Here's my opinion on the first four rounds:

League 1

Three Best Teams

Chase Stuart - Portis/Henry is a great RB combo. Portis at #7 is a huge steal. Vick is a top three QB and Mason is a solid #1 WR.

Jason Wood - I love Deuce this year and think Culpepper will be the #1 fantasy QB again this year. CuMart is underrated and will be a great RB#2. I'm not as high on Boldin as others, but still think he is a top 12 WR.

Clayton Gray - Freddy T is a solid pick at 1.11 and I'm really high on Julius Jones this year. I think he will be a top 15 back and is a great pick at 3.11. He also has a top three WR in Harrison and a top three QB in McNabb. I really like this team.

Honorable Mentions - Joe T and Colin Dowling.

The rest of the teams all look solid except Fro's squad. I'm not too sure what he was thinking. Three of his first four picks have a week 5 bye.

League 2

Three Best Teams

Shawn Culcusi - Three great RB's IMO. I think Barlow will be top ten, Faulk will be studly when he plays, and Kevin Jones should be solid. Also has McNabb who I think will be a top three QB.

Chris Smith - He also has three solid RB's. Edge/Bennett is a great one-two punch. Most are down on Garner, but with the 1 pt/reception I love him. Steve McNair a consistant QB.

Maurile Tremblay - I like the Lewis/Martin combo at RB. I'm not worried about Lewis' legal problems. Holt should be top three again this year and Mason is a very solid #2.

Honorable Mentions - Grouse and Bostonfred. I would rank Bostonfred #1 if his starting RB's didn't have the same bye week.

The rest of the teams look solid. Twilight was pretty risky going with the stud WR theory, but it could work out for him.

Overall I think the Staff really has the advantage so far. I think Unlucky should have picked guys with more survivor experience. I can't wait to see the rest of the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some thoughts...Twilight - tough call on the Moss (1.11), Harrison (2.02) picks. Think I would have gone Barlow at #11 and taken either Moss or Harrison on the way back. Now you're stuck with TJones and Duckett as RBs who at this time are bottom end RB2s or top end RB3s.Dodds and Smith - Like the James pick. Both ahead of Alexander and Portis. Gutsy.JWood - solid first three picks. Like the thinking on the Culpepper pick. Skeptical of the Boldin pick.Sandbagger - Not sure about Shockey ahead of Gonzalez...the guy has a hard time staying on the field.Some others I liked: Bostonfred, Maurile Tremblay and Sinrman.

The rest of the teams all look solid except Fro's squad. I'm not too sure what he was thinking. Three of his first four picks have a week 5 bye.
If you read the rules you would see why it's not as bad as it looks to have week 5 and beyond bye weeks. Low scorers will be booted from the Island based on this criteria:Week 1-4 - Lose 1 team per week, High score gets immunity (and is exempt from leaving) for the next week Week 5/6 - Lose 1 team per two weeks (combined score of week 5 and 6) Week 7/8 - Lose 1 team per two weeks (combined score of week 7 and 8) Week 9/10 - Lose 1 team per two weeks (combined score of week 9 and 10) Week 11/12 - Lose 1 team per two weeks (combined score of week 11 and 12) Immunity will be for the first three weeks only (week 3 winner gets immunity for the 4th week). Week 4 high score does not get immunity.

Since I am going to get blasted later in the draft (Trust me :bag: ), How about some early love for that Anderson team? ;)

Sandbagger - Not sure about Shockey ahead of Gonzalez...the guy has a hard time staying on the field.
In typical leagues Gonzo comes out ahead for me. However, with the 2 point per reception bonus in this league Shockey edged him out.

A couple of interesting teams so far:Twilight---------MossHarrisonThomas JonesTJ DuckettSinrman---------TomlinsonW DunnC JohnsonT OwensJoffer---------AlexanderSuggsHoltOwensColin the running back herder---------Ricky WilliamsTiki BarberChris BrownTJ Duckett

Depending on the rest of the draft, Clayton and cracKer should dominate. I like their starts the most and felt they got the best value at their picks.With only 4 rounds posted, it's tough to really say who's the strongest. It's the mid rounds that determine the winner.

Thank god we can now start talking about this!

Overall commentary of every two rounds is coming soon - I did League 2 and Bass N' Brew did League 1.

I was really interssting reading the comments form League Two as they pretty much reflect a lot o fmy commentary.

Sinrman - having drafted next to Aaron in the past, :Clintonmodeon: Ah feel yo' pain :Clintonmodeoff:
Oh, did I mention that Aaron is a rat ******* yet? :P My top choices through 4 rounds:

League 1: Maurile Trembley (very consistent production there) & (tie) Aaron Rudnicki and Mike Anderson

Honorable Mentions: I was tempted to say Grouse or Sandbagger, but I'm one who feels drafting a TE that early (no matter WHO it is) is just too early. Both still have solid teams. Shockey being a ? though going into the season though hurts 'bagger.

League 2: Mr. Pickles (my current choice for winning the whole thing) & (tie) Unlucky and Chase Stuart

Honorable Mentions: I was tempted to say Jason Wood or Clayton Gray, but the uncertainty of Julius Jones hurts Gray early on, and I thought the drafting of 'Pepper at 2.10 was a tad early by Jason (but he still has a solid team)

If you read the rules you would see why it's not as bad as it looks to have week 5 and beyond bye weeks. Low scorers will be booted from the Island based on this criteria:Week 1-4 - Lose 1 team per week, High score gets immunity (and is exempt from leaving) for the next week Week 5/6 - Lose 1 team per two weeks (combined score of week 5 and 6) Week 7/8 - Lose 1 team per two weeks (combined score of week 7 and 8) Week 9/10 - Lose 1 team per two weeks (combined score of week 9 and 10) Week 11/12 - Lose 1 team per two weeks (combined score of week 11 and 12) Immunity will be for the first three weeks only (week 3 winner gets immunity for the 4th week). Week 4 high score does not get immunity.
I am pretty familiar with the rules because we used them in EBFI. It will still hurt to have your top three RB's off in one of the two weeks. Odds are that you will be kicked out week 5/6

Out of the MB guys I like Unlucky's and Pickles' starts the best. It's too bad they are both in S1. Grouse and Bostonfred had good starts too.

Fro,

If you were going to draft Barlow that high, why didn't you request to be slotted later? Seems like there was a little lost value. I think all 3 of your first picks were a little early for those players.

I am pretty familiar with the rules because we used them in EBFI. It will still hurt to have your top three RB's off in one of the two weeks. Odds are that you will be kicked out week 5/6
I don't have my top three RB's off in round five. I have 2 RB, and a TE off in the first half of the week 5/6 combined score.

I don't have my top three RB's off in round five. I have 2 RB, and a TE off in the first half of the week 5/6 combined score.
Whoops, that's my bad. I still don't think it was smart to draft your top two RB's and your top TE with the same bye week. I'm interested to see how the rest of your team turned out.

LOL @ Captain's 'leading' from the front of the draft...Unlucky #2 and Dodds #5I would have liked to seen the captain's show some stones and draft from a lower draft position, allowing the troops the better chance of successI like the Moss combo's, w/him going to MB players Twilight and Coach Potatoe...the 1 pt/recpt changes the VBD board alot more than even 'the best' have shown in the way these squads were drafted---I have Moss ~#5 overall, in this system...Twilight showed tremendous faith in the system, going Moss-Harrison from the 11 hole, while CP went Moss-Faulk from the turn at 12, alittle more traditional approach... :thumbup: to both, as I see great value in the Moss selection from the 11/12 positionwhile it is nice finally getting the first 4 rounds, w/commentary from the owners, it will be difficult to assess the overall strength of these teams until 10 rounds or so are postedlooking forward to it

I'd say the Shipp and Brown owners will be exiting first. I know this draft was weeks ago, but there was way better value available when they were picked.

woke up on draft day thinking I’m going to take Fred Taylor with this pick, 10th overall. Then about an hour before the draft I was reviewing some posts in the Mock Draft Forum of the Footballguys.com message boards. I happened to swim through the EBF Mock Draft where I noticed that noted board member TommygunZ had the identical 10th pick as me. I scanned down the page slightly and saw pick 1.10 FRED TAYLOR. It was at this point that I scratched Taylor off my entire draft board and decided I better start working on an entirely new draft plan.For those of you who may not have read any of TommygunZ prognostication work over the years, you may not be aware of his prowess in this arena. Last year, he predicted that Clinton Portis would be the Bust of the Year in fantasy football among many other things that I don’t have the time to list here. I was ecstatic when Lewis slid to me at 1.10 as I had him as the #8 running back on the board. I was even more elated when Clayton Gray followed up my pick by taking Taylor at the 1.11 position because that eliminates one staff member from the competition. That is one down 5 to go in this league. I want to give a special thank you to TommygunZ for helping out the Message Board team so early in the draft.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Portis/Henry is a great RB combo. Portis at #7 is a huge steal. Vick is a top three QB and Mason is a solid #1 WR.
Along with B-Fred's ability to get Portis #7 along with Dom Davis in League Two, it appears the #7 spot was the place to be for RBs in both these drafts!

LOL @ Captain's 'leading' from the front of the draft...Unlucky #2 and Dodds #5
loli actually deferred and allowed unlucky to slot me in whatever draft slot was the least desirable for the others.i can draft value wherever. :yes:

He's not getting a lot of attention here, but I like Mr Pickles' squad. Ahman Green is solid as a RB #1 & I like S Davis as his #2. He's also got 2 potential Top 5 WRs in CJ & Coles. Not an incredibly flashy group yet, but rock-solid.

Fro,

If you were going to draft Barlow that high, why didn't you request to be slotted later? Seems like there was a little lost value. I think all 3 of your first picks were a little early for those players.
8th wasn't my first choice. I was really targeting EDGE there. But Dodd's Reached.

I'm not high on Ricky this year. Lewis has legal issues and Taylor could have his goaline touches stripped by G.Jones. Barlow was a little reach but not a huge one.

I happen to think he has a solid team, but considering his first 3 picks are every bit as likely to split time (Davis/Garner) or miss time (Lewis - trial?) as anyone else in the league, he sure talks a big game.
Actually, your first FOUR picks are more likely to split time than anyone else in the league, since you drafted 4 RBs in the first four rounds, but can only start two each week. No offense, but as much as you spent on Ricky (1.9), Barber (2.4), or Chris Brown (3.9), and TJ Duckett (4.4), I'm not sure your RB position is top 5, let alone #1, in your league. That's going to be tough to recover from.

This was NOT an ADP draft.Go look at antsports' top-24 overall, and you see different players in 12-team league:s as the top-24 (sorry about the formatting):
Hardly a dramatic variance from the ADP RBs. Anyway, my point is that all the teams (yeah, I know ... not all) go for 2 RBS and then the draft starts ... :sleep:

This was NOT an ADP draft.Go look at antsports' top-24 overall, and you see different players in 12-team league:s as the top-24 (sorry about the formatting):
Hardly a dramatic variance from the ADP RBs. Anyway, my point is that all the teams (yeah, I know ... not all) go for 2 RBS and then the draft starts ... :sleep:
that's not much of a point.

1.10 Jamal LewisDraft Strategy: I woke up on draft day thinking I’m going to take Fred Taylor with this pick, 10th overall. Then about an hour before the draft I was reviewing some posts in the Mock Draft Forum of the Footballguys.com message boards. I happened to swim through the EBF Mock Draft where I noticed that noted board member TommygunZ had the identical 10th pick as me. I scanned down the page slightly and saw pick 1.10 FRED TAYLOR. It was at this point that I scratched Taylor off my entire draft board and decided I better start working on an entirely new draft plan.For those of you who may not have read any of TommygunZ prognostication work over the years, you may not be aware of his prowess in this arena. Last year, he predicted that Clinton Portis would be the Bust of the Year in fantasy football among many other things that I don’t have the time to list here. I was ecstatic when Lewis slid to me at 1.10 as I had him as the #8 running back on the board. I was even more elated when Clayton Gray followed up my pick by taking Taylor at the 1.11 position because that eliminates one staff member from the competition. That is one down 5 to go in this league. I want to give a special thank you to TommygunZ for helping out the Message Board team so early in the draft.

I happen to think he has a solid team, but considering his first 3 picks are every bit as likely to split time (Davis/Garner) or miss time (Lewis - trial?) as anyone else in the league, he sure talks a big game.
Actually, your first FOUR picks are more likely to split time than anyone else in the league, since you drafted 4 RBs in the first four rounds, but can only start two each week. No offense, but as much as you spent on Ricky (1.9), Barber (2.4), or Chris Brown (3.9), and TJ Duckett (4.4), I'm not sure your RB position is top 5, let alone #1, in your league. That's going to be tough to recover from.
I think when the dust clears, my RBs will be every bit as strong as anyone else's. Obviously, 2004 is a new year, but I expect each of those guys to perform at or above the position in which they were drafted, particularly Barber. In this scoring system last season, he outscored Travis Henry and Stephen Davis, which were my other two considerations there. Considering he was a top-15 scorer with only 3 TDs (Fred Taylor's 7 was the next fewest by a back that finished ahead of him) and I'd say he offers a very solid 2nd option. Is Brown an "upside or bust" pick? Probably, but I'd be very surprised if anyone won this league without having an unexpected player go bananas. I like Brown's chances of doing that better than any of the 3 Jones boys, which is why I selected him in the 3rd. Colin

2.3 Domanick DavisDraft Strategy: Throughout the draft, the staff’s arrogance filled the air like cheap cologne. This competition is simple. It is about winning. I think some of the staff members forgot that in this round. For some staff, the second round signaled the end of any opportunity to win this competition. They say you can not win the league in the first two rounds, but you can definitely lose it. A few of the staff have officially proven that cliché to be true. I do not really want to name names here, but Clayton’s and Colin’s teams are done.
:rotflmao:
Drafting behind Colin all day was clearly an advantage for me. Having the players you want drop in your lap round after round is a luxury.

Out of the MB guys I like Unlucky's and Pickles' starts the best. It's too bad they are both in S1. Grouse and Bostonfred had a good starts too.
Thanks for the props KleckI'm taking some flack for going Heap in the 4th. I know that seems early. However, I strongly believed with the 2-point reception rule there was a distinct advantage to be had grabbing an elite at that position. Obviously without seeing my full roster you can't tell if that strategy cost me at another position. However, I personally do not feel it did. Time will tell.

2.3 Domanick DavisDraft Strategy: Throughout the draft, the staff’s arrogance filled the air like cheap cologne. This competition is simple. It is about winning. I think some of the staff members forgot that in this round. For some staff, the second round signaled the end of any opportunity to win this competition. They say you can not win the league in the first two rounds, but you can definitely lose it. A few of the staff have officially proven that cliché to be true. I do not really want to name names here, but Clayton’s and Colin’s teams are done.
Drafting behind Colin all day was clearly an advantage for me. Having the players you want drop in your lap round after round is a luxury.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :thumbup:

Blah Blah Blah
Is that Trey with an orange Afro in your new avatar???
yep :yes:
LOL!
(KKrew @ Jun 28 2004, 01:25 PM)

(Marc Levin @ Jun 28 2004, 02:45 PM) This was NOT an ADP draft.Go look at antsports' top-24 overall, and you see different players in 12-team league:s as the top-24 (sorry about the formatting):
Hardly a dramatic variance from the ADP RBs. Anyway, my point is that all the teams (yeah, I know ... not all) go for 2 RBS and then the draft starts ...
that's not much of a point.
LOL X 2LOL x 3 on Joe T's commentary.

I think when the dust clears, my RBs will be every bit as strong as anyone else's. Obviously, 2004 is a new year, but I expect each of those guys to perform at or above the position in which they were drafted, particularly Barber. In this scoring system last season, he outscored Travis Henry and Stephen Davis, which were my other two considerations there. Considering he was a top-15 scorer with only 3 TDs (Fred Taylor's 7 was the next fewest by a back that finished ahead of him) and I'd say he offers a very solid 2nd option. Is Brown an "upside or bust" pick? Probably, but I'd be very surprised if anyone won this league without having an unexpected player go bananas. I like Brown's chances of doing that better than any of the 3 Jones boys, which is why I selected him in the 3rd. Colin
Let's say Brown "goes bananas", and Tiki has a huge year, both of which are possible. And Ricky is Ricky again, and Duckett gets double digit TDs again, while Dunn breaks a leg. Even if all of these things happen, how many more points per week do you think you get from your backs than the next guy in your league? More importantly, how many fewer points do you get at QB, WR, TE and probably kicker and D because you spent so much here? Even if your optimistic projections of the RBBC guys you picked in the third and fourth pan out, you're still so far behind at other positions that it's going to be hard to dig your way out. You've injury-proofed your team, but you've also victory-proofed it. (Of course, I'm the guy whose top 2 RBs have the same bye week, but I happen to think Portis/Davis will score about the same as Ricky/Tiki/Brown/Duckett the weeks they're not on bye).

I'll be curious to see how Colin's teams gets put together...I think drafting Duckett @ 4.04, as RB4....and passing on:GonzoMasonSSmithColesBoldinSMossMouldsall drafted later in round 4, will be his undoing...same bye week as RB3 CBrown-9-(who was a reach, IMO)...I don't understand drafting a 2nd b/u RB, in a questionable situation (says Mr Dunn), when every other starter position needed addressingI know I don't have as much experience as most of you in this contest, but, unless you can start 2RB-2flex, I don't see the 'value' in Duckett in round 4, w/3 other RB's in the fold

I'm partial to Portis, Domanick Davis, Culpepper and Gonzalez, myself, especially with passing TDs only being worth 4 points and TE receptions being worth 2 pts. each.
Getting all four of those guys in a 12-team league with that scoring is a crime.
interestingly, that was almost identical to my survivor II team last year.i had portis, cpep, gonzo, and some crappy RB...which could be the difference between his team and my team last year.i got bumped in the 4th week. :angry:

Hehe Joe T is cracking me up...Now he better pray he doesn't get knocked out in week 1! :rotflmao:

For the record, I like the Barber pick quite a bit. I think he's extremely safe, and probably as good a bet as any player he could have selected in that position, to finish at least as high as he was drafted. (i.e., Barber has a better chance of finishing in the top 14 at RB than Holt in the top 3 at WR, Pepper in the top 1 at QB, or any other RB still remaining in the top 14).Barber's gold in this system, with or without the touchdowns.

Getting all four of those guys in a 12-team league with that scoring is a crime.
interestingly, that was almost identical to my survivor II team last year.i had portis, cpep, gonzo, and some crappy RB...which could be the difference between his team and my team last year.i got bumped in the 4th week. :angry:
Was it Willie Green?Your team and his areproof positive that drafting really well is not aguarantee of anything in this survivor format.I will continue to call 2pt/TE a VBD trap in this league - especially considering everyone who drafted top-rated TEs in Leguae Two fell behind at other starting receiver positions. Both QB and TE are positions that can be platooned later with decent results. Is it worth it to lose ground by taking a top QB AND a top TE within the first 4 picks? Especially in a start-three WR league?

For the record, I like the Barber pick quite a bit. I think he's extremely safe, and probably as good a bet as any player he could have selected in that position, to finish at least as high as he was drafted. (i.e., Barber has a better chance of finishing in the top 14 at RB than Holt in the top 3 at WR, Pepper in the top 1 at QB, or any other RB still remaining in the top 14).Barber's gold in this system, with or without the touchdowns.
He was only a 5 TD (over a 2 TD season away from being a viable starter in standard performance league systems.Those receiving numbers are nothing to scoff at.

Out of curiousity, who from the staff and board teams hadn't participate in a survivor style league before? Or had everyone been in one before?

Out of curiousity, who from the staff and board teams hadn't participate in a survivor style league before? Or had everyone been in one before?
I had never participated in one with 12 people. I have played in a 10 team twice before, IIRC.Colin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread