What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

T. Henry has earned the opportunity to be traded (1 Viewer)

Ya, they will let him walk if thats the case.

Henry is not above the team or the league.  This has happened in professional sports before many times.  Teams do not cave in. 

Keenan McCardell, Alexei Yahsin, Walter Jones, Curtis Enis, Dorsey Levens, Warren Moon to name a few.

Inform me of some players who this tactic has worked for and they were dealt because of they said they would hold out if they weren't dealt.
Funny you should mention a group like that (junk). As far as Walter Jones, Seattle franchised him twice, no? Also, as far as teams who have caved to player's demands, Eric Dickerson (Colts) comes to mind. Without listing a bunch of players, it is common place for stars to get their way when threatening to hold out. You should know this. Of course most of them didn't have a player like Willis McGahee on the team either, but I can see the Bills wanting to get something for Henry before he is lost to another team via free agency.

Last edited by a moderator:

Henry is not above the team or the league. This has happened in professional sports before many times. Teams do not cave in.

Keenan McCardell, Alexei Yahsin, Walter Jones, Curtis Enis, Dorsey Levens, Warren Moon to name a few.

Inform me of some players who for whom this "holding out" tactic has worked for and were dealt because of it.
Uh..Keanen McCardell.Colin

Henry is not above the team or the league. This has happened in professional sports before many times. Teams do not cave in.

Inform me of some players who for whom this "holding out" tactic has worked for and were dealt because of it.
What?

Henry is not above the team or the league.  This has happened in professional sports before many times.  Teams do not cave in. 

:lol:

What?
Was he not traded 2/3 of the way through the season?Colin

Funny you should mention a group like that (junk). As far as Walter Jones, Seattle franchised him twice, no? Also, as far as teams who has caved to player's demands, Eric Dickerson (Colts) comes to mind. Without listing a bunch of players, it is common place for stars to get their way when threatening to hold out. You should know this.
I do think Buffalo will likely cave, but the players you listed are elite talents, which Henry is not. The leverage an elite talent has is huge since they can bring in difference makers in trade, something Henry will not bring in.It comes down to whether a 2nd/3rd round value is worth caving in for.Guys like Dickerson and Walter Jones had much more leverage due to their market value.

Funny you should mention a group like that (junk).  As far as Walter Jones, Seattle franchised him twice, no?  Also, as far as teams who has caved to player's demands, Eric Dickerson (Colts) comes to mind.  Without listing a bunch of players, it is common place for stars to get their way when threatening to hold out.  You should know this.
I do think Buffalo will likely cave, but the players you listed are elite talents, which Henry is not. The leverage an elite talent has is huge since they can bring in difference makers in trade, something Henry will not bring in.It comes down to whether a 2nd/3rd round value is worth caving in for.

Guys like Dickerson and Walter Jones had much more leverage due to their market value.
Are you saying McCardell is an elite talent? If so, TB only got a 3rd and a 6th for him.

FWIW, the professor was on the HERD today and he said that the ball is BUF's court, they want to swap 2nd rd picks and the Cards are refusing to do that and would only do a player for player. Again, as a Bills fan, I hope we hold out for the 2nd rd swap til the bitter end. Although I would rather have Shelton than Henry at this point.

Funny you should mention a group like that (junk). As far as Walter Jones, Seattle franchised him twice, no? Also, as far as teams who has caved to player's demands, Eric Dickerson (Colts) comes to mind. Without listing a bunch of players, it is common place for stars to get their way when threatening to hold out. You should know this.
I do think Buffalo will likely cave, but the players you listed are elite talents, which Henry is not. The leverage an elite talent has is huge since they can bring in difference makers in trade, something Henry will not bring in.It comes down to whether a 2nd/3rd round value is worth caving in for.

Guys like Dickerson and Walter Jones had much more leverage due to their market value.
Are you saying McCardell is an elite talent? If so, TB only got a 3rd and a 6th for him.
No, I never said McCardell was an elite talent. Jones and Dickerson were/are though.

FWIW, the professor was on the HERD today and he said that the ball is BUF's court, they want to swap 2nd rd picks and the Cards are refusing to do that and would only do a player for player.
:confused: My wife is not a professor...

Hm.

COlin

Colin draws blood. :D
exsqueeze me, but does anyone have a band-aid for fridayfrenzy? LOL.
McCardell wanted higher pay from the Bucs and the Bucs didn't cave in. He was then traded and didn't get what he was looking for in the first place.I fail to see how that is caving in? The Bucs didn't give him the pay increase he was after.

Colin draws blood.  :D
McCardell wanted higher pay from the Bucs and the Bucs didn't cave in. He was then traded and didn't get what he was looking for in the first place.I fail to see how that is caving in? The Bucs didn't give him the pay increase he was after.
It's a moot point, because many NFL players have been either traded or a compromise reached when a player threatens to hold out.

Colin draws blood.   :D
It's a moot point, because many NFL players have been either traded or a compromise reached when a player threatens to hold out.
McCardell's salary wishes were never met as a result of holding out. He never got his pay day.

McCardell's wishes were never met as a result of holding out. He never got his pay day like he wanted last year.
You're trying to qualify it, but that won't work. He made it clear he wasn't playing for Tampa ever again. The Bucs ended up having to trade him. Did he want more money? Absolutely. But seeing as how he quickly got in to uniform and started playing for the Chargers without a pay-raise shows he was just as (if not more) interested in getting away from Tampa.Colin

McCardell's wishes were never met as a result of holding out. He never got his pay day like he wanted last year.
You're trying to qualify it, but that won't work. He made it clear he wasn't playing for Tampa ever again. The Bucs ended up having to trade him. Did he want more money? Absolutely. But seeing as how he quickly got in to uniform and started playing for the Chargers without a pay-raise shows he was just as (if not more) interested in getting away from Tampa.Colin
Did he accompish his goal of receiving more money last year by holding out. NO. Therefore I fail to see how any team caved. McCardell lost over 700,000 bucks in salary and still never got his contract wishes from either team, yup he sure came out on top in that one. :rolleyes:

Ever thought that he jumped right into uniform cause he actually wanted to get paid for once during the season.

Did he accompish his goal of receiving more money last year by holding out. NO. Therefore I fail to see how any team caved. McCardell lost over 700,000 bucks in salary and still never got his contract wishes from either team, yup he sure came out on top in that one. :rolleyes:

Ever thought that he jumped right into uniform cause he actually wanted to get paid for once during the season.
:rotflmao: You asked for an example, and I gave one. McCardell got his wish - he got out of town. Colin

:rotflmao: You asked for an example, and I gave one. McCardell got his wish - he got out of town. Colin
His wish was to receive more money, he was never given that.

His wish was to receive more money.
You act as if players don't ever get their way when threatening to hold out. That is just plain wrong. So what's your point of arguing McCardell, when players have been holding out for decades and received what they want.

You act as if players don't ever get their way when threatening to hold out. That is just plain wrong. So what's your point of arguing McCardell, when players have been holding out for decades and received what they want.
In this day and age, you rarely see a professional sports team cave in and give what the player demands. That may have been the case "decades" ago but teams and leagues have changed their attitude in this area. Teams are setting the precedent and not being allowed to be walked all over. Threatening to hold out really holds no water these days with teams. The days of Steve Francis and Eric Lindros are behind us now. I guess some can argue that the Chargers gave in to Eli Manning last year, but the Chargers still stuck to their guns, drafted him and then got a heck of a deal from the Giants out of it. I really don't know if that was considered caving in or strong and smart on behalf of the Chargers.

The threat of holding out doesn't scare the Bills and will not do anything to twist their arm.

McCardell wanted higher pay from the Bucs and the Bucs didn't cave in. He was then traded and didn't get what he was looking for in the first place.

I fail to see how that is caving in? The Bucs didn't give him the pay increase he was after.
You're trying to qualify it, but that won't work. He made it clear he wasn't playing for Tampa ever again. The Bucs ended up having to trade him. Did he want more money? Absolutely. But seeing as how he quickly got in to uniform and started playing for the Chargers without a pay-raise shows he was just as (if not more) interested in getting away from Tampa.

Colin
Did he accompish his goal of receiving more money last year by holding out. NO.

Therefore I fail to see how any team caved. McCardell lost over 700,000 bucks in salary and still never got his contract wishes from either team, yup he sure came out on top in that one. :rolleyes:

:rotflmao: You asked for an example, and I gave one. McCardell got his wish - he got out of town.

Colin
In this day and age, you rarely see a professional sports team cave in and give what the player demands. That may have been the case "decades" ago but teams and leagues have changed their attitude in this area. Teams are setting the precedent and not being allowed to be walked all over. Threatening to hold out really holds no water these days with teams.

The days of Steve Francis and Eric Lindros are behind us now. I guess some can argue that the Chargers gave in to Eli Manning last year, but the Chargers still stuck to their guns, drafted him and then got a heck of a deal from the Giants out of it. I really don't know if that was considered caving in or strong and smart on behalf of the Chargers.

The threat of holding out doesn't scare the Bills and will not do anything to twist their arm.
So why do teams get :eek: when guys like Charles Woodson call their bluff and sign their Franchise offers?

Colin

FridayFrenzy,I think it's just superstars and thru the press(and FF) we make players seem better than they are. Superstars, like LeBron James for example, can command whatever the heck he wants. Very good Stephon Marbury, no matter how much NYers love their boy, has to go thru what you mentioned.More than any other sport, age has alot to do with football contracts. I think we see a guy get huge stats and expect a record setting contract and forget how old he is.

What do you people just decide to show up in the off-season and decide to act ill-informed? The Bills have treated Henry like crap and I don't see why he would want to come back and backup McGahee if he could be given a shot elsewhere and it's obvious he is very upset with how the Bills have treated him this offseason. In all of McGahee's elite studliness he has a 3.6 YPC. SOLID! Now I have both on various teams but this comparison of McGahee to other stud backs is premature. I don't think anybody is treating Henry as a godsend here. As an owner yes I would like to see him get a chance but the reality is he probably will be stuck into competing for a starting job even if he does get traded. To say the guy has an attitude problem is ignoring how Henry has handled the situation up until now. It sounds like you want to condemn him to Randy Moss status just because he wants a shot.
:cry: Cry me a river buddy. You must be a fan of one of those sucky teams that hasn't won anything in the last 20 years because their GM is "nice" to the players and does what the fans think he should do. :rolleyes:
Hey ### reread my post.Edit: BTW I'm a Steelers fans. They are very stingy when it comes to contracts and they know how to do business but they certainly didn't shove Bettis out of town and thank god they didn't.

My post was directed at the fact that you clearly misunderstood how Henry reacted when McGahee was drafted.  He kept his mouth shut.  He worked hard.  He dodged questions about it.  On and on and on.  The man ran roughshot for 2 years and as a reward, they drafted his replacement when the team had MUCH more pressing needs.  Now, in a similar slight, they won't trade him even though fair value seems to have been offered. 
I disagree that Henry took the McGahee drafting well. Immediately after the draft he came out crying, until he was probably told by his agent to keep his mouth shut in public.And I think RB has been shown to be one of their more pressing needs in retrospect. Once McGahee came in the whole offense opened up as teams had to start respecting McGahee's big play ability. Henry has no big play ability, in fact he has always been one of the worst RB's in terms of % of 20+ yard runs per carry.

If Buffalo caves and lets Henry get what he wants because he moaned and complained that sets a bad precident for the front office. His poor attitude over the past couple years should not be rewarded by Buffalo.

There is obviously a lot more to the story then the general public knows. If Henry was indeed this angel you make him out to be he would already be traded and starting on another team. Real NFL front office people obviously don't share your opinion of him.

He has decent skills, but not good enough ones to make up for his poor attitude.
Go on then. Please bring up some quotes and links. Oh but that's right what the media types doesn't matter.

My post was directed at the fact that you clearly misunderstood how Henry reacted when McGahee was drafted. He kept his mouth shut. He worked hard. He dodged questions about it. On and on and on. The man ran roughshot for 2 years and as a reward, they drafted his replacement when the team had MUCH more pressing needs. Now, in a similar slight, they won't trade him even though fair value seems to have been offered.
I disagree that Henry took the McGahee drafting well. Immediately after the draft he came out crying, until he was probably told by his agent to keep his mouth shut in public.And I think RB has been shown to be one of their more pressing needs in retrospect. Once McGahee came in the whole offense opened up as teams had to start respecting McGahee's big play ability. Henry has no big play ability, in fact he has always been one of the worst RB's in terms of % of 20+ yard runs per carry.

If Buffalo caves and lets Henry get what he wants because he moaned and complained that sets a bad precident for the front office. His poor attitude over the past couple years should not be rewarded by Buffalo.

There is obviously a lot more to the story then the general public knows. If Henry was indeed this angel you make him out to be he would already be traded and starting on another team. Real NFL front office people obviously don't share your opinion of him.

He has decent skills, but not good enough ones to make up for his poor attitude.
Go on then. Please bring up some quotes and links. Oh but that's right what the media types doesn't matter.
The day McGahee was drafted it was all over ESPN how upset Henry was. I don't have tape from Sportcenter's years ago, but anyone who watched the draft that year and espn around that time can confirm.Also you can check Henry's % of runs over 20 yards, it is pathetic.

My post was directed at the fact that you clearly misunderstood how Henry reacted when McGahee was drafted.  He kept his mouth shut.  He worked hard.  He dodged questions about it.  On and on and on.  The man ran roughshot for 2 years and as a reward, they drafted his replacement when the team had MUCH more pressing needs.  Now, in a similar slight, they won't trade him even though fair value seems to have been offered. 

The day McGahee was drafted it was all over ESPN how upset Henry was. I don't have tape from Sportcenter's years ago, but anyone who watched the draft that year and espn around that time can confirm.Also you can check Henry's % of runs over 20 yards, it is pathetic.
I know exactly what you are talking about and if that's all you have your blowing out of proportion. He was dissappointed that Buffalo went that route but said he would play with a chip on his shoulder and still produce (which he did, including when he was injured on a losing team). Other then that he has said nothing, not even last year.

1. Rudi Johnson was upset when Perry was drafted. Hilariously enough, as a quick counter to your earlier bad point, Rudi Johnson is a great example of a player who threatened to hold out and was handsomely rewarded with a big fat contract. How's that one taste? Of course Henry was upset, which was well within his right.3. I take it that I was absent the day that "runs over 20 yards" was taught in Starting RB class. Maybe I watched Eddie George for too long, but I never realized that 20+ yard runs were a big time stat, except for bulking up a runner's YPC. Big plays are nice, sure. BUt to say thats indicative of something is silly.

COlin

My post was directed at the fact that you clearly misunderstood how Henry reacted when McGahee was drafted. He kept his mouth shut. He worked hard. He dodged questions about it. On and on and on. The man ran roughshot for 2 years and as a reward, they drafted his replacement when the team had MUCH more pressing needs. Now, in a similar slight, they won't trade him even though fair value seems to have been offered.

1. Rudi Johnson was upset when Perry was drafted. Hilariously enough, as a quick counter to your earlier bad point, Rudi Johnson is a great example of a player who threatened to hold out and was handsomely rewarded with a big fat contract. How's that one taste? Of course Henry was upset, which was well within his right.3. I take it that I was absent the day that "runs over 20 yards" was taught in Starting RB class. Maybe I watched Eddie George for too long, but I never realized that 20+ yard runs were a big time stat, except for bulking up a runner's YPC. Big plays are nice, sure. BUt to say thats indicative of something is silly.

COlin
Rudi and Henry's situation are not at all similar, how does that taste? (does that make you sound smarter throwing in lines like that?)RB's who have the potential to bust big plays loosen up the defense, which improves the whole offense. Coincidence once a big play RB like McGahee took over the offense took off?, how does that taste?

Your condesending remarks are pathetic, how does that taste?

Get over your Henry love and start to see the situation as it really is, how does that taste?

Just to add I do think Henry will be given a shot somewhere, but he is not the angel you make him out to be. He is a malcontent who has a poor attitude.

Just to add I do think Henry will be given a shot somewhere, but he is not the angel you make him out to be. He is a malcontent who has a poor attitude.
:rolleyes: At the poor attitude. I suppose you'd be happy if you were placed in the same situation. I don't believe he has a poor playing attitude and the stuff that has happend off the field has not affected what he has done on the field or affected the team around him.

:rolleyes: At the poor attitude. I suppose you'd be happy if you were placed in the same situation. I don't believe he has a poor playing attitude and the stuff that has happend off the field has not affected what he has done on the field or affected the team around him.
Ummm, if I were Henry I would have tried to outperform McGahee on the field and be confident I could do that.Henry lacks confidence and knows he isn't the best runner between McGahee and himself, so he tries to cover that up by moaning how he got a raw deal.

If he would of won the battle on the field his moaning wouldn't have come off as so bad, but he clearly got outplayed by McGahee and now it's clear he had no right to moan.

And :rotflmao: at Buffalo fans thinking that Buffalo made a bad pick with McGahee. They are now becoming a winning team and some fans still want to think McGahee made no difference. Obviously RB was a spot of need for them. That offense looked 100x's better with McGahee in there, he loosened the defenses up and even made Bledsoe look decent.

Thankfully the ill informed Buffalo fans who didn't want McGahee aren't running that team.

I love the front office of the Bills, let's hope they ignore many of the Buffalo fans who are clueless.

Many Buffalo fans are great, i'm just talking about the sub-section that think just because they live in Buffalo they know what their talking about.

I suppose you'd be happy if you were placed in the same situation.
You've consistently failed to explain exactly what is so bad or unique about Travis Henry's situation. He lost his starting job because his team went out and got somebody better. I am still waiting for an explanation as to why this is evil.Here's another example: About 1 week prior to the start of the 2003 season, Coy Wire was Buffalo's starting SS. Suddenly, out of nowhere, NE cut Lawyer Milloy, Buffalo picked him up, and he stepped right into the starting lineup. Wire lost his starting job and was relegated to mostly special teams play. Do you think Wire was treated poorly because the Bills failed to release him or trade him?

Do you think NFL teams have a moral obligation NOT to improve their rosters if it means somebody might lose their starting job? Do NFL teams have an obligation to trade or release every player who decides he wants out of his contract?

I have no interest in vilifying Travis Henry. I just don't see why his situation is any different from scores of other players around the league.

COlin
Rudi and Henry's situation are not at all similar, how does that taste? (does that make you sound smarter throwing in lines like that?)RB's who have the potential to bust big plays loosen up the defense, which improves the whole offense. Coincidence once a big play RB like McGahee took over the offense took off?, how does that taste?

Your condesending remarks are pathetic, how does that taste?

Get over your Henry love and start to see the situation as it really is, how does that taste?
Like chicken. Their situations are the same - a 1st round back selected to "back up" a later rounded draft choice. PLayer says he'll not honor his original contract. In Rudi's case, he got what he wanted. Deny it if you want. I don't care.I see your point, but you do realize you are trying to dispute the worth of a guy that put up 3261 yards and 25 TDs in a 2 seasons span based on...the fact you don't appear to think he's "mature"?

Furthermore, he was never given a chance to outperform McGahee on the field. He had a bad stretch to start the year (as did the whole team) and when he left the field the first time, he had lost his job.

Colin

I have no interest in vilifying Travis Henry. I just don't see why his situation is any different from scores of other players around the league.
It's because many on here only think about their FF team and don't want to look at Henry for what he is, a servicable RB who can perform decent given the right situation. He is not owed a starting job like many here want to think.

I have no interest in vilifying Travis Henry.  I just don't see why his situation is any different from scores of other players around the league.
It's because many on here only think about their FF team and don't want to look at Henry for what he is, a servicable RB who can perform decent given the right situation. He is not owed a starting job like many here want to think.
:rotflmao: 3200+ yards and 25 TDs in 2 seasons = Servicable

Cast him aside, I give up. Your argument is rock solid.

Colin

You've consistently failed to explain exactly what is so bad or unique about Travis Henry's situation. He lost his starting job because his team went out and got somebody better. I am still waiting for an explanation as to why this is evil.Here's another example: About 1 week prior to the start of the 2003 season, Coy Wire was Buffalo's starting SS. Suddenly, out of nowhere, NE cut Lawyer Milloy, Buffalo picked him up, and he stepped right into the starting lineup. Wire lost his starting job and was relegated to mostly special teams play. Do you think Wire was treated poorly because the Bills failed to release him or trade him?

Do you think NFL teams have a moral obligation NOT to improve their rosters if it means somebody might lose their starting job? Do NFL teams have an obligation to trade or release every player who decides he wants out of his contract?

I have no interets in vilifying Travis Henry. I just don't see why his situation is any different from scores of other players around the league.
Absolutly not but the point is this: Henry doesn't want to or have to play for the Bills next year despite the contract talks. He has out performed McGahee in the one year he has played but is not in Buffalo's long term plans. They have an offer to actually get something in return for Henry but will not take it even though they told him they would trade him if he went out and got a suitor, which he did. The Bills can do whatever the hell they want but players have their rights to do the same as well. Coy Wire and Travis Henry are not similar cases at all. Wire was an iffy starting safety while Henry was a consistent RB and a pro bowl player who took a contract for less than market value and played injured on a ####ty team yet they still hold onto him because they know he is better then Wire or Bledsoe and they can get something out of him. It is a ######## move on Buffalo's part because they told him to seek a trade and they would trade him and then they back out of that. It is not a special case and I have never said that. Holdout's and dispute's between players and owners happen all the time. I find it unsettling how Travis Henry is the bad guy in all of this though. McGahee has the potential to be better than Henry by a long shot. And I am a McGahee owner. I just think Henry deserves a fair shake. Hopefully he doens't get an extension to wherever he goes and Pittsburrgh makes a run at him next year. His wrecking ball style running would be a good fit.

Like chicken. Their situations are the same - a 1st round back selected to "back up" a later rounded draft choice. PLayer says he'll not honor his original contract. In Rudi's case, he got what he wanted. Deny it if you want. I don't care.I see your point, but you do realize you are trying to dispute the worth of a guy that put up 3261 yards and 25 TDs in a 2 seasons span based on...the fact you don't appear to think he's "mature"?Colin
I don't hate Travis Henry, I don't think he sucks. I just fail to see how people think it is a crime teams aren't running to sign him as their starting RB. There are scores of guys around the league not starting who are as talented as him.Travis Henry and Rudi's contract situations are very different. Travis still has 1 year left on his contract. Rudi was franchised and was not under a contract that he signed. A franchised player has leverage, if the team didn't think they were important they wouldn't be franchised. Henry has no leverage, he is under a cheap contract and has no right to moan as he signed that cheap contract. He is not an important piece of the Buffalo puzzle for the coming year.I do not think Henry's stats are very impressive, I truly believe that most NFL caliber RB's could of put up similar stats to him given the 350+ carries he was given those years. I guess that is where most disagree.no hard feelings, I didn't mean anything personal, please don't take it that way.

:rotflmao: 3200+ yards and 25 TDs in 2 seasons = Servicable

Cast him aside, I give up. Your argument is rock solid.

Colin
Why aren't teams in need of a RB running to trade for him then. He isn't that expensive.Your opinion clearly differs from what real NFL executives think. I'll go with the opinions of the guys who get paid big bucks to evaluate talent. You can believe you know better than them if you like.

:goodposting:

It may not be that different, but it does not make it the best choice all the time. I mean yes McGahee may be a better RB in the long run and has a lot of potential but would Buff had been a better team if they kept Henry as the starter and drafted another need in the draft instead. I mean we are acting as if Henry was a bad RB who did not produce in Buff. And now that they have made up there mind to go with WM. They should take what they can get for Henry. Maybe Henry is speaking up knowing that Buff may well have wanted to keep him as a back up to McGahee incase of injury and so on. Would you want to be in that situation if you were Henry??? If he keeps his mouth shut he is stuck being a back up, if he speaks up he gets a chance to go and start somewhere, you can't fault him for that. Everyone says Buff is a better team with McGahee but going 8-8 and 6-10 with Henry was not all that bad for the team they had. I mean the reason Buff did so well to end last season was not all do to McGahee but the defense played ridiculous.

Yes, McGahee is good and should be the starter but IMO if I am a GM I take what I can get for Henry and he did give you 2 years of playing his heart out for you so you should be happy to let him have a chance to start somewhere else.

I mean if you are not happy at your work you ask for a transfer, why is this so bad.??? Yes, there are ways of dealing with it, but asking to go to a better situation for yourself should not be frowned upon.

Tom Donahoe was on NFL radio this afternoon saying the deal with Arizona is completely dead and that if Henry sat out this year it would be "career suicide"

Tom Donahoe was on NFL radio this afternoon saying the deal with Arizona is completely dead and that if Henry sat out this year it would be "career suicide"
Did he mention anything about bowing to Henry's every whim? :rotflmao: Oh, I didn't think so.

It is a ######## move on Buffalo's part because they told him to seek a trade and they would trade him and then they back out of that.
Okay. I could be mistaken, obviously, but I am guessing that Buffalo never promised Henry that they would automatically accept the first offer to come down the pike. If they promised him that and then reneged, then I apologize and would have to concede that you're right. But like I said, I seriously doubt that was the understanding.

It may not be that different, but it does not make it the best choice all the time. I mean yes McGahee may be a better RB in the long run and has a lot of potential but would Buff had been a better team if they kept Henry as the starter and drafted another need in the draft instead. I mean we are acting as if Henry was a bad RB who did not produce in Buff. And now that they have made up there mind to go with WM. They should take what they can get for Henry. Maybe Henry is speaking up knowing that Buff may well have wanted to keep him as a back up to McGahee incase of injury and so on. Would you want to be in that situation if you were Henry??? If he keeps his mouth shut he is stuck being a back up, if he speaks up he gets a chance to go and start somewhere, you can't fault him for that. Everyone says Buff is a better team with McGahee but going 8-8 and 6-10 with Henry was not all that bad for the team they had. I mean the reason Buff did so well to end last season was not all do to McGahee but the defense played ridiculous.

Yes, McGahee is good and should be the starter but IMO if I am a GM I take what I can get for Henry and he did give you 2 years of playing his heart out for you so you should be happy to let him have a chance to start somewhere else.

I mean if you are not happy at your work you ask for a transfer, why is this so bad.??? Yes, there are ways of dealing with it, but asking to go to a better situation for yourself should not be frowned upon.
Just for the record, I'm not saying Henry is a bad guy for wanting to be traded. He's definitely capable of starting in this league and I will never hold it against any NFL player that he wants to get paid well for doing what he does. Basically, I understand where Henry's coming from. I would like to see the Bills trade him. (Not so much because I'm rooting for Henry as much as I'm rooting for the Bills).

I just don't see why the Bills front office is made out to be the bad guy just because they're not giving him away for a ham sandwich and a can of Tab. Henry wants to get paid. Fine. Donahoe wants to build a better team by holding out for more value. I don't see the problem with that either.

I read this as a simple attempt to get some bit of leverage back.

...as opinions run strong on matters we have but limited direct knowledge of such as behind closed door deals (or supposed deals) comments said (or likely said), promises, attitudes, and the like... just remember the truth is likely somewhere in between. I am a little reluctant to state with such conviction the personal feelings and thoughts of another person or oganization that have such limited and distant contact with....carry on :football:

It is a ######## move on Buffalo's part because they told him to seek a trade and they would trade him and then they back out of that.
Okay. I could be mistaken, obviously, but I am guessing that Buffalo never promised Henry that they would automatically accept the first offer to come down the pike. If they promised him that and then reneged, then I apologize and would have to concede that you're right. But like I said, I seriously doubt that was the understanding.
No I'm guessing not either, but the deal with Arizona was not out of line of what they should get for Henry. The market is quite vast right now and getting a solid tackle for Henry when they have lost their's would have been a good move, IMO. Especially with McNally working with OL.

16. RB Henry: "I'm Definitely Not Going Back to Buffalo"Full Article: http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/BUF/8316634Clipped from: NFL.com wire reports 3/22/05Travis Henry is through playing for the Buffalo Bills, intent to sitout as long as it takes the team to trade him."I'm definitely not going back to Buffalo if that's what you want tohear," the running back told The Associated Press from his home inOrlando, Fla. "No minicamps. No training camp. No nothing. ... Ipacked my stuff and left. As soon as the season was over, I was out ofthere and I didn't have any plans of coming back."Henry, who started during his first three seasons in Buffalo, has oneyear left on his contract and is unwilling to spend another year asWillis McGahee's backup.The Bills granted Henry permission in January to speak to other teamsabout a potential trade. Of the teams that expressed interest, Henrysaid the Arizona Cardinals have offered to trade starting left tackleL.J. Shelton in a player-for-player deal.Henry doesn't understand why the Bills -- in need of offensive linehelp -- haven't accepted the offer. Henry added he's willing to playfor Arizona, a team in need of a starting running back since EmmittSmith's retirement last month."The whole situation, it's really frustrating," Henry said. "I justwant to move on with my life and my career."Bills spokesman Scott Berchtold declined comment.Cardinals officials were at the NFL owners meetings in Hawaii, andunavailable for comment.[[[[[[[[[[ OUR VIEW ]]]]]]]]]]Comments from players in March definitely need to be taken with agrain of salt, but it is obvious Henry isn't too pleased at themoment. He feels he is one of the top 32 backs in the league andshould be starting somewhere. We'll see if some other teams agreewith him.
From a few days ago. If you get the emails I'm sure you read it. Nothing really new and it's a couple days old but I figured I'd post it.

Users who are viewing this thread