What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Taking A Stand On Peyton Manning (1 Viewer)

GroveDiesel said:
This is good stuff and all, but I'm curious as to why there has been essentially NO talk on Tom Brady at all. He hasn't played in a preseason game yet and he still has whatever leg issue that he has going on, right? I know that he practiced once or twice this week, but he's obviously not playing yet again tonight. Shouldn't we start to get a little concerned about Brady's real state of health?
Brady is a concern, but the difference is he's been in practice publicly and looked fine. Also, Mike Lombardi (the source for the latest Manning reports), went out of his way to say Brady has been fine and there is on concern within the Pats organization or locker room that Tom will be on the field in Week One.

Just how important do you guys think the consecutive game streak is to Manning? If he knows he should probably sit out a game or two to be cautious, would the streak change that thinking? Or is it totally in the hands of the medical staff?
I think he likes the streak and most importantly I think he likes the streak because it means you're the rock of the team, when all else fails at least you know that Peyton will be there to the end. By him missing time, that feeling of "he cant miss, he's peyton" will no longer be true. In the end, this guy is going to play if he's near ready. If he doesn't play week 1, he probably won't be playing week 2. For him not to play, he will definately be hurt.

I expect him to play, I don't expect huge numbers. I don't have Manning in any leagues and I'm not drafting him in any money leagues coming up. I like Manning and will root for him to play well but I just don't see how he plays up to his ADP.

I can see him playing a little bit gimped because he's Peyton Manning and needs to be out there but not putting up Peyton Manning numbers, even partially by design as I think they'll try and establish the run.

You can also gautantee yourself that the second the Colts thought they had the game in wraps, they'll be pulling him out of the game to rest.

Good job Joe and Dave for getting off the fence. I'm downgrading slightly everyone on the Colts offense except for Addai.

"He's doing exactly what he thought he would do,'' Dungy said. "He's rehabbing, (regaining) the range of motion, doing what they're asking him to do.

"He's throwing some. He's lifting. He's staying active. At some point he'll get the OK (to practice).''
Live and learn. I trust nothing Dungy says publicly.Eight weeks in a row last year, he made it sound like Harrison was almost ready to play.
I disregarded Dungy's comments too but was interested in the similar injury comments:Rookie tight end Tom Santi had a similar procedure two weeks before Manning's operation and he began running after practice on Tuesday. Dungy said Santi "is about ready to come back and practice and I would imagine Peyton will be a couple of weeks behind him.''

That would indicate Manning might not be cleared to practice until Aug. 25, which would be in line with the originally stated recovery time of four to six weeks.

I agree. It's where I stand too and where I've stood.

While Carson Palmer and Ben Roeth... are no Peyton Manning, both of these guys struggled early in seasons coming off of injury

red said:
regardless if joe is right or wrong, the well thought out analysis with links and rationalizations simply provide me with more food for thought when it comes to MY draft. i appreciate the amount of work that went into composing that email, because in a mere matter of minutes i get to discern through all of joe's analysis and then make a decision for MYSELF. that's why i pay for the subscription.
Thanks a lot, red. Your response was exactly what I was hoping for there. Thanks for letting me know.J
I'm not going to read every post, but even if it was said before, Joe- this is exactly what I want for my $$. When I read that email I thought: "Maybe I'll agree- maybe I won't, maybe FBG is right- maybe they aren't, but one thing is for sure: that is exactly what I want from a footballguys subscription. :pickle: :clap: :excited:
Not only that. I AM a subscriber, didn't see the insider email, and only saw this one, and now I'm not keeping Manning at 2 in a 10 team dynasty (devaluation so couldnt keep next year).so go Joe!

"He's doing exactly what he thought he would do,'' Dungy said. "He's rehabbing, (regaining) the range of motion, doing what they're asking him to do.

"He's throwing some. He's lifting. He's staying active. At some point he'll get the OK (to practice).''
Live and learn. I trust nothing Dungy says publicly.Eight weeks in a row last year, he made it sound like Harrison was almost ready to play.
I disregarded Dungy's comments too but was interested in the similar injury comments:Rookie tight end Tom Santi had a similar procedure two weeks before Manning's operation and he began running after practice on Tuesday. Dungy said Santi "is about ready to come back and practice and I would imagine Peyton will be a couple of weeks behind him.''

That would indicate Manning might not be cleared to practice until Aug. 25, which would be in line with the originally stated recovery time of four to six weeks.
I would guess a 22 year old kid might heal a bit faster?

I'm with you on Calvin. He is one reason I'm glad I had some early drafts. I have gotten him in the 5th round multiple times. Now, he will probably go in the third round. He literally looks uncoverable right now.

:shrug:

I have Manning kept in a keeper league so this makes me think about an early b/u in todays draft.

This thread also clinches my subscription sign up on Sunday. First time.

GroveDiesel said:
This is good stuff and all, but I'm curious as to why there has been essentially NO talk on Tom Brady at all. He hasn't played in a preseason game yet and he still has whatever leg issue that he has going on, right? I know that he practiced once or twice this week, but he's obviously not playing yet again tonight. Shouldn't we start to get a little concerned about Brady's real state of health?
Brady is a concern, but the difference is he's been in practice publicly and looked fine. Also, Mike Lombardi (the source for the latest Manning reports), went out of his way to say Brady has been fine and there is on concern within the Pats organization or locker room that Tom will be on the field in Week One.
I don't really know that I'd be all that excited about Brady throwing passes in drills for 15 minutes in front of the NE press. According to Jason Cole, that's all we really know that Brady has done recently.LINK

Hopefully this will end alot of the P. Manning drama. I have no doubt the guy is going to play week 1. I believe the consecutive games streak is important to him and if there is anyway he can be on field, he will. He is a tough guy, hence the streak. If there was really a concern about him not being able to play week 1 I really don't think he would be on field at all right now.All that said, I think it might take 2-3 weeks before we see the "real" Manning on the field as he most likely will not be 100% and will have to shake off the rust. I still beileve he is a Top 3 QB this year with Brady and Romo and should be drafted accordingly.

thanks guys - I've been zero'ing in on Manning for a couple weeks, but I've decided to let him slide....great insight - cheers.
:thumbup:
I think people are forgetting the mobility (byproduct of bursa sac removal) and the OL(especially loss of Saturday for 6 wks/season if he opts surgery) when expecting Peyton to be Peyton this year.That said Peyton is obviously a warrior. And he faces maybe the top 3 DL's in football out the gate. so we'll see...

Being a Colts fan and Manning owner in multiple leagues, I am hopeful he will be the "same old Peyton." But let's not proclaim victory on this issue just yet.

He's not 100-percent locked in to start Week 1. And even if he does, he may do a lot more handing off to Addai and Rhodes than usual.

The last two times the Colts beat the Bears, the Colts relied heavily on the run game.

Users who are viewing this thread