What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Taking Manning in the top half of round 1... (1 Viewer)

Can a VBD person out there compare Rudi's value versus Mannings value over the past few years?
Bumping my own post to see if someone (Yudkin :confused: ) can post some value comparisons forRudi and Manning over the last few years to see what we find.thanks
In the 4 years since Rudi became a starter, and based on season-ending VBD score :2003 - Manning 53, Rudi 222004 - Manning 150, Rudi 682005 - Rudi 84, Manning 342006 - Manning 120, Rudi 54.Average : Manning 89.3, Rudi 57

Can a VBD person out there compare Rudi's value versus Mannings value over the past few years?
Bumping my own post to see if someone (Yudkin <_< ) can post some value comparisons forRudi and Manning over the last few years to see what we find.thanks
In the 4 years since Rudi became a starter, and based on season-ending VBD score :2003 - Manning 53, Rudi 222004 - Manning 150, Rudi 682005 - Rudi 84, Manning 342006 - Manning 120, Rudi 54.Average : Manning 89.3, Rudi 57
Rudi was not the starter in 2003. He started a few games but was second fiddle to Dillion the first half of the year.

It may have been overlooked earlier in the thread, but the problem with taking Manning wicked early is not so much what Manning will or won't do, it's what the OTHER quarterbacks in the league will do.
Peyton Manning has ranked in the VBD top-24 (i.e. "top two rounds") in 6 of the past 8 seasons. He's ranked no lower than 34th during that span. His average season-ending rank is 16.9. And remember, this is with 4 points per passing TD, a system that the majority of leagues do not use, and a system which reduces Manning's value.The season-ending VBD ranks of the players drafted between 5th and 12th (not counting Manning himself) in 2006 was 3, 60, 81, 26, 312, 171, and 154 (Manning himself was drafted 10th overall and finished 4th in VBD). Of the seven players, only TWO ranked better than Manning's career worst fantasy season (his rookie year). Only one ranked better than his career average. NONE ranked higher than Manning's career best.

In case you think last year was an aberration, here are the season-ending VBD ranks of the non-Manning players drafted between 5th and 12th in 2005: 38th, 293rd, 45th, 7th, 87th, 43rd, and 120th. This time, only one player had a season better than Manning's career worst (in a scoring system that naturally marginalizes Manning's contributions).

As it stands, it's already pretty ludicrous how much better of a pick Manning is than another mediocre and overrated RB. Join the rest of the fantasy football world and start playing in 6-point per passing TDs and it just becomes that much more lopsided.

In short, it doesn't matter WHAT the rest of the QBs in the league do- Manning is going to finish with a higher VBD than at least 5 of the 7 other players drafted at the end of the first round.
<_< This is one of those pieces of the puzzle we need if we're going to be able to quantify the safety of the Manning pick vs the production level. Though I might be hesitant to use a straight last starter baseline if that is what is being used as that gets to be less accurate the further down the position list you go, which means that top RB who dropped a bit would show a bigger value drop than he probably should. The 24th RB is worth more than the 36th WR in a start 2 RB, 3 WR league, even though both have the same VBD value, just because there are more WRs you can plug in for that 36th guy who will score comparably. MT was talking about a 2/3 drafted players baseline having shown some good results and said in PM he'd start a thread to discuss it. Might be interesting if I can find the time later to see what kind of results you get doing that with the 2/3 drafted baseline.

All in all though, good post, this is the kind of stuff we need to do to go from untested hypothesis to a tested result.

...Since Manning entered the league, RBs taken in the 6-10 spot have averaged a shade under 64 value points. Manning has had 7 years way above that, 2 years just above that, and 4 years beneath that.I have advocated the past few years that Manning taken in the latter part of the first round is probably a good thing. However, this thread has raised the question if taking Manning in the TOP FIVE is a good thing, to which I would have to say no. The average of the Top 5 RB picks since Manning joined the league has been 105 value points. That number is somewhat misleading in that it includes an average of 1 RB per year that gets hurt and therefore had no value at all. Of the players that actually stayed healthy, the number shoots up to 132 value points. (That also includes a couple other players like Priest Holmes who played enough to have minimal value but still missed half a season.)By comparison, since 1998 there have been 5 QB to have a value of 150 points, 22 RBs that have scored that high, and 1 WR to do so. Bottom line, for the most part if you draft from the Top 5 and you take a RB and he stays healthy the chances are you will have a very high scoring value player and one that you will not be able to get at another position.
Reading this post reminded me of an upside that I know I've discussed on this topic before, but don't think I've seen mentioned. There's an argument that can be made that taking Manning very early has some upside in that you can often get a quality RB in the first few picks of round 3. Let's say someone bucked the system and took him at 1.3. They may be able to get RBs in some years in the 2nd and at 3.3 that are of enough low risk they don't require spending middle round picks on backups that they wouldn't have spent if they'd taken 1st and 2nd round RBs. But waiting until 1.5 or 1.7 or 1.10 to take Manning may put you in a more exposed position. I'm not saying that by itself is enough to make Manning worth taking at 1.1 or 1.2, but I think the impact it has on your draft is worth mentioning. Some years more than others might allow you to get max value out of your middle rounds even if you take Manning, but only if you take him very early as opposed to middle-late 1st.

This will be my 7th year in my FF league, and nobody in my league has ever won the championship having P. Manning on their team. As a matter of fact, nobody having P. Manning on their team has ever been in the championship game. I'm not saying Manning isn't one of the best, or the best quarterback to have on your team, but obviously the surrounding cast matters just as much.
The year that Manning threw 48 TD passes (2004?), a friend of mine selected Manning in 3 different big money leagues (all of which used a live auction draft). He won the Super Bowl in all 3 leagues. He paid up for Manning, thought that he was primed for a huge statistical year, had to allocate fewer $$ to the RB position and he nailed it. Also this was not 6 TD pass league

David Yudkin said:
Evilgrin 72 said:
joey said:
joey said:
Bumping my own post to see if someone (Yudkin :lmao: ) can post some value comparisons forRudi and Manning over the last few years to see what we find.thanks
Rudi was not the starter in 2003. He started a few games but was second fiddle to Dillion the first half of the year.
My bad. Should have said a viable or draftable player.

David Yudkin said:
Evilgrin 72 said:
joey said:
joey said:
Bumping my own post to see if someone (Yudkin :lmao: ) can post some value comparisons forRudi and Manning over the last few years to see what we find.thanks
I ended up with Rudi on a lot of my teams that year off of waivers, but that was not a year he was really drafted coming off a season with 17 carries for 67 rushing yards.

GregR said:
SSOG said:
It may have been overlooked earlier in the thread, but the problem with taking Manning wicked early is not so much what Manning will or won't do, it's what the OTHER quarterbacks in the league will do.
Peyton Manning has ranked in the VBD top-24 (i.e. "top two rounds") in 6 of the past 8 seasons. He's ranked no lower than 34th during that span. His average season-ending rank is 16.9. And remember, this is with 4 points per passing TD, a system that the majority of leagues do not use, and a system which reduces Manning's value.The season-ending VBD ranks of the players drafted between 5th and 12th (not counting Manning himself) in 2006 was 3, 60, 81, 26, 312, 171, and 154 (Manning himself was drafted 10th overall and finished 4th in VBD). Of the seven players, only TWO ranked better than Manning's career worst fantasy season (his rookie year). Only one ranked better than his career average. NONE ranked higher than Manning's career best.

In case you think last year was an aberration, here are the season-ending VBD ranks of the non-Manning players drafted between 5th and 12th in 2005: 38th, 293rd, 45th, 7th, 87th, 43rd, and 120th. This time, only one player had a season better than Manning's career worst (in a scoring system that naturally marginalizes Manning's contributions).

As it stands, it's already pretty ludicrous how much better of a pick Manning is than another mediocre and overrated RB. Join the rest of the fantasy football world and start playing in 6-point per passing TDs and it just becomes that much more lopsided.

In short, it doesn't matter WHAT the rest of the QBs in the league do- Manning is going to finish with a higher VBD than at least 5 of the 7 other players drafted at the end of the first round.
:lmao: This is one of those pieces of the puzzle we need if we're going to be able to quantify the safety of the Manning pick vs the production level. Though I might be hesitant to use a straight last starter baseline if that is what is being used as that gets to be less accurate the further down the position list you go, which means that top RB who dropped a bit would show a bigger value drop than he probably should. The 24th RB is worth more than the 36th WR in a start 2 RB, 3 WR league, even though both have the same VBD value, just because there are more WRs you can plug in for that 36th guy who will score comparably. MT was talking about a 2/3 drafted players baseline having shown some good results and said in PM he'd start a thread to discuss it. Might be interesting if I can find the time later to see what kind of results you get doing that with the 2/3 drafted baseline.

All in all though, good post, this is the kind of stuff we need to do to go from untested hypothesis to a tested result.
To this end, I plugged Dodds' projections and my scoring system into the draft dominator and did a "my team mock draft." The way I use DD is as follows :Each year, I go back and look at the previous 3 years' drafts in my league and look at who was available with each of my picks (e.g. QB2, RB15, WR6) I average that and compare it to current year VBD to try to fit the pieces together as best I can regarding who will be on the board at my next pick. When my pick comes up, I change the VBD baselines to reflect who will be there when I next pick (again e.g. QB2, RB15, WR6.) I find that a rolling baseline as such gives you a much better indicator of value. So, when my pick #5 comes up, Manning's baseline is Palmer, Alexander's is Edge, and Chad Johnson's is Marvin Harrison.

In doing so, the DD suggested I take Manning #5, as he had the highest DVBD score.

David Yudkin said:
Evilgrin 72 said:
joey said:
joey said:
I ended up with Rudi on a lot of my teams that year off of waivers, but that was not a year he was really drafted coming off a season with 17 carries for 67 rushing yards.
OK, that's really not a fair comparison, then. Bump Johnson's average value # from 57 to 68.7.

I think a lot of this lies in the ability to accurate predict the QB market. For example, I was all over Manning regressing in 2005 back down to earth. If people remember the thread, I set the over/under for Manning TD passes that year at 35 and people thought I was nuts because he was well on his way to a 50 TD season. And we know how that turned out.

I also was all over Manning having a resurgence last year and felt the other QB options were meh by comparison (thus the thread where I felt Manning was worth a first round pick).

Certainly my crystal ball is no better than anyone else's, but ths year I think the collection of tier two QB candidates has improved. Brady has a ton more weapons. Palmer should be healthy. Bulger added McMichael and Bennett. McNabb is always a threat to average more ppg than anyone else (but good luck getting a full season out of him). Brees had a phenomenal season. And laugh all you want Kitna could have a monster season. If Vick does not get suspended he also is a decent option.

I'm not sure we should be projecting Manning for many more TD than last year (31), nor do I think he'll have many more passing yards (4400). However, I DOUBT Manning will have 4 rushing TD again. I also think that the QB pool is pretty deep and that the VBD baseline (for both 4 and 6 pt leagues) will be higher. Long story short, I would predict that Manning will not be as valuable this year as last year even though his stats might be similar (although as I said IMO probably lower).

I think a lot of this lies in the ability to accurate predict the QB market. For example, I was all over Manning regressing in 2005 back down to earth. If people remember the thread, I set the over/under for Manning TD passes that year at 35 and people thought I was nuts because he was well on his way to a 50 TD season. And we know how that turned out.I also was all over Manning having a resurgence last year and felt the other QB options were meh by comparison (thus the thread where I felt Manning was worth a first round pick).Certainly my crystal ball is no better than anyone else's, but ths year I think the collection of tier two QB candidates has improved. Brady has a ton more weapons. Palmer should be healthy. Bulger added McMichael and Bennett. McNabb is always a threat to average more ppg than anyone else (but good luck getting a full season out of him). Brees had a phenomenal season. And laugh all you want Kitna could have a monster season. If Vick does not get suspended he also is a decent option.I'm not sure we should be projecting Manning for many more TD than last year (31), nor do I think he'll have many more passing yards (4400). However, I DOUBT Manning will have 4 rushing TD again. I also think that the QB pool is pretty deep and that the VBD baseline (for both 4 and 6 pt leagues) will be higher. Long story short, I would predict that Manning will not be as valuable this year as last year even though his stats might be similar (although as I said IMO probably lower).
I believe his passing stats will improve based upon offseason movements by the Colts.They lost a couple of defensive starters and backups in free agency-Cato June and Nick Harper.Didn't add anyone significant until the 3rd round...Hughes(who I love in the Cover 2 scheme)But they added a slot Wr in Gonzo and Ugoh for future LT or RT.The defense was bad last year and got worse. They will need to pass to keep up with opposing offenses and now have more weapons to do so.

David Yudkin said:
Evilgrin 72 said:
joey said:
joey said:
Bumping my own post to see if someone (Yudkin :scared: ) can post some value comparisons forRudi and Manning over the last few years to see what we find.thanks
OK, that's really not a fair comparison, then. Bump Johnson's average value # from 57 to 68.7.
thanks for this info, fellas. Very interesting to see those numbers.Of course that's only 1 piece of the puzzle since the main point is what do you*after* you take one of those guys in the first round. Like I posted earlier,I'd prefer a draft that starts with Rudi (if Safety and Reliability is a concern...call it a Honda or Toyota Draft :pickle: ) cuz I like the value at QB in rounds6-9. Manning/Edge/Deuce/Evans doesn't sound as good to me as Rudi/Holt/Benson/Evans/Bulger(or Kitna)but that's just me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a lot of this lies in the ability to accurate predict the QB market. For example, I was all over Manning regressing in 2005 back down to earth. If people remember the thread, I set the over/under for Manning TD passes that year at 35 and people thought I was nuts because he was well on his way to a 50 TD season. And we know how that turned out.I also was all over Manning having a resurgence last year and felt the other QB options were meh by comparison (thus the thread where I felt Manning was worth a first round pick).Certainly my crystal ball is no better than anyone else's, but ths year I think the collection of tier two QB candidates has improved. Brady has a ton more weapons. Palmer should be healthy. Bulger added McMichael and Bennett. McNabb is always a threat to average more ppg than anyone else (but good luck getting a full season out of him). Brees had a phenomenal season. And laugh all you want Kitna could have a monster season. If Vick does not get suspended he also is a decent option.I'm not sure we should be projecting Manning for many more TD than last year (31), nor do I think he'll have many more passing yards (4400). However, I DOUBT Manning will have 4 rushing TD again. I also think that the QB pool is pretty deep and that the VBD baseline (for both 4 and 6 pt leagues) will be higher. Long story short, I would predict that Manning will not be as valuable this year as last year even though his stats might be similar (although as I said IMO probably lower).
I believe his passing stats will improve based upon offseason movements by the Colts.They lost a couple of defensive starters and backups in free agency-Cato June and Nick Harper.Didn't add anyone significant until the 3rd round...Hughes(who I love in the Cover 2 scheme)But they added a slot Wr in Gonzo and Ugoh for future LT or RT.The defense was bad last year and got worse. They will need to pass to keep up with opposing offenses and now have more weapons to do so.
While I concur that the defensive seems worse than last year, Manning accounted for 35 TD last year and was roughly around 100 yards from his career high in yaradage. Besides his 49 TD year, in 01, 02, 03, and 05 he did not have more than 30 TD.I personally have a hard time predicting a QB to have more than 4400 yards and 35 total TD. But maybe that's just me.

While I concur that the defensive seems worse than last year, Manning accounted for 35 TD last year and was roughly around 100 yards from his career high in yaradage. Besides his 49 TD year, in 01, 02, 03, and 05 he did not have more than 30 TD.I personally have a hard time predicting a QB to have more than 4400 yards and 35 total TD. But maybe that's just me.
:potkettle: this was the argument i was having with people who after his record year were acting like 40 TDs was a lock for him. it is EXTREMELY difficult to hit that number and manning will likely be closer to 30 again this year despite what rationalization anyone wants to give.

I think a lot of this lies in the ability to accurate predict the QB market. For example, I was all over Manning regressing in 2005 back down to earth. If people remember the thread, I set the over/under for Manning TD passes that year at 35 and people thought I was nuts because he was well on his way to a 50 TD season. And we know how that turned out.

I also was all over Manning having a resurgence last year and felt the other QB options were meh by comparison (thus the thread where I felt Manning was worth a first round pick).

Certainly my crystal ball is no better than anyone else's, but ths year I think the collection of tier two QB candidates has improved. Brady has a ton more weapons. Palmer should be healthy. Bulger added McMichael and Bennett. McNabb is always a threat to average more ppg than anyone else (but good luck getting a full season out of him). Brees had a phenomenal season. And laugh all you want Kitna could have a monster season. If Vick does not get suspended he also is a decent option.

I'm not sure we should be projecting Manning for many more TD than last year (31), nor do I think he'll have many more passing yards (4400). However, I DOUBT Manning will have 4 rushing TD again. I also think that the QB pool is pretty deep and that the VBD baseline (for both 4 and 6 pt leagues) will be higher. Long story short, I would predict that Manning will not be as valuable this year as last year even though his stats might be similar (although as I said IMO probably lower).
I believe his passing stats will improve based upon offseason movements by the Colts.They lost a couple of defensive starters and backups in free agency-Cato June and Nick Harper.

Didn't add anyone significant until the 3rd round...Hughes(who I love in the Cover 2 scheme)

But they added a slot Wr in Gonzo and Ugoh for future LT or RT.

The defense was bad last year and got worse. They will need to pass to keep up with opposing offenses and now have more weapons to do so.
:potkettle:

Your soliloquy about starting with 4000/28 to determine where in the overall VBD rankings such a QB would have finished and then tweaking the numbers to get that player into the top 5 are moot. I have the actual end of year numbers (imagine that) With the numbers I ran and Manning finished #1 and #3 in 2004 and 2006, respectively
This was exactly the exercise I was suggesting. I'm not sure how you mistook that unless you assumed that by injuries that occurred during the year you thought I was talking about injuries that occurred while sitting at home watching the NFL draft or something. Although, perhaps my mistake is simply in assuming that by quoting my post, it also means you took the time to read it :thumbup: .Anyhow, on that point, granted when I did the exercise myself I was using more traditional scoring and lineup requirements. Generally, I don't think it's a good idea to start a thread with a point based on a rarely used scoring format, else I've got a thread to start about how undervalued Reggie Bush is because he scored a lot of points in my league where we get 1000 points per reception...With the standard scoring numbers I ran, Manning only sniffed the top 5 in his 2004 year, which basically falls in line with exactly what I was saying - that to justify the draft position a QB would have to put up a near record-breaking year, something Manning did that year. If you want to count on something that happens twice a decade if we're lucky, and has never ever been repeated by the same player in the history of the NFL - be my guest.As for the side-swipe about "league-wide" finish compared to positional finish, that point was clearly directed at a poster other than you, as cleverly hidden by the way that I posted it right underneath a quote from another poster.
Again, though, you've missed the boat on the fact that we're not simply discussing where Manning finished in VBD, but the effect that his drafting in round 1 has on the balance of your draft as well.
I was touching on a couple of individual points that I had a heavy opinion on. Even with that said though, I'm not sure how something that only strengthens the "anti-Manning" side of the argument (the side I'm arguing) is detrimental to your point...
and many have made legitimate points on both sides of the argument. Next time, try reading everything before you start getting self-righteous and lambasting people for making "weak" posts.
Which is basically exactly what I said, that good posts did end up coming out of the thread, but that the original post was extremely weakly formulated based on something that quite frankly (and this is not meant to be a knock on you personally because I know it is something you are far behind intellectually) is a 6th grade mistake. Funny that you're telling me to read things when you don't even seem to be reading what you quote.The first post was basically "hey guys why can't Manning be a top 5 pick when in this one isolated example he ends up providing equal total points through 3 rounds of a draft?"You took a RB who had never missed time to injury and happened to miss a ton of it last year and threw Manning in there instead and the numbers were STILL only equal. But that's beside the point, the real crime here is starting this discussion with what basically amounts to a useless example that we can draw up about any position or any player out there.I could just as easily make a post about how drafting Jason Elam in the top 3 in 2005 netted better results than drafting Priest Holmes top 3 which means that we shouldn't shun drafting a kicker in the top 5, and just because others jumped in and made some worthwhile points doesn't make my post any less ridiculous.If your goal was just to simulate discussion, just asking or leading with your VBD score example (though I still feel it is a poor idea to formulate a general thread on a less-used scoring system) would have been a much better kickoff than making up some useless, arbitrary example and then asking what's wrong with it.

Currently in an SMD at Ants (w/ no one on CC yet), and from the 5 spot I have so far:

1.05 -- QB, Manning

2.08 -- RB, Portis

3.05 -- TE, Gates

4.05 -- RB, McAllister

We'll see how the rest turns out...

Link to Draft

:unsure: this was the argument i was having with people who after his record year were acting like 40 TDs was a lock for him. it is EXTREMELY difficult to hit that number and manning will likely be closer to 30 again this year despite what rationalization anyone wants to give.
Agreed. Wishing an outlier season ain't gonna make it happen, especially when there's a consistent track record like Manning's (excluding '04, of course). Now, it may be that all of the changes mentioned above have a positive effect on Manning's #s - something I'm not convinced of yet. I can recall some arguments a few years ago saying that changes to the Colts that were basically the opposite of those above would increase Manning's #s too. Maybe he'll hit 4800/38 or some such, but I wouldn't bet a whole lot on it. Too many things have to go right for him to buck history that much.However, I'd bet more on Manning to hit 4200/30 than I would on any single projection for any player. Someone brought up Rudi as an alternative to Manning for those in safe mode. I agree in to an extent - Rudi may be the safest bet besides Manning at that point, but I have nowhere near the same level of confidence that I do in Manning. And other than Rudi, who is going to be available at, say, 1.05 that you'd feel comfortable taking?Again, I'm not saying taking PM at 5 is a no-brainer. But I do think he's a viable play there & not a death knell to a team doing so. Just gotta think a little differently on your team's construction.

Your soliloquy about starting with 4000/28 to determine where in the overall VBD rankings such a QB would have finished and then tweaking the numbers to get that player into the top 5 are moot. I have the actual end of year numbers (imagine that) With the numbers I ran and Manning finished #1 and #3 in 2004 and 2006, respectively
This was exactly the exercise I was suggesting. I'm not sure how you mistook that unless you assumed that by injuries that occurred during the year you thought I was talking about injuries that occurred while sitting at home watching the NFL draft or something. Although, perhaps my mistake is simply in assuming that by quoting my post, it also means you took the time to read it ;) .Anyhow, on that point, granted when I did the exercise myself I was using more traditional scoring and lineup requirements. Generally, I don't think it's a good idea to start a thread with a point based on a rarely used scoring format, else I've got a thread to start about how undervalued Reggie Bush is because he scored a lot of points in my league where we get 1000 points per reception...

With the standard scoring numbers I ran, Manning only sniffed the top 5 in his 2004 year, which basically falls in line with exactly what I was saying - that to justify the draft position a QB would have to put up a near record-breaking year, something Manning did that year. If you want to count on something that happens twice a decade if we're lucky, and has never ever been repeated by the same player in the history of the NFL - be my guest.

As for the side-swipe about "league-wide" finish compared to positional finish, that point was clearly directed at a poster other than you, as cleverly hidden by the way that I posted it right underneath a quote from another poster.

Again, though, you've missed the boat on the fact that we're not simply discussing where Manning finished in VBD, but the effect that his drafting in round 1 has on the balance of your draft as well.
I was touching on a couple of individual points that I had a heavy opinion on. Even with that said though, I'm not sure how something that only strengthens the "anti-Manning" side of the argument (the side I'm arguing) is detrimental to your point...
and many have made legitimate points on both sides of the argument. Next time, try reading everything before you start getting self-righteous and lambasting people for making "weak" posts.
Which is basically exactly what I said, that good posts did end up coming out of the thread, but that the original post was extremely weakly formulated based on something that quite frankly (and this is not meant to be a knock on you personally because I know it is something you are far behind intellectually) is a 6th grade mistake. Funny that you're telling me to read things when you don't even seem to be reading what you quote.The first post was basically "hey guys why can't Manning be a top 5 pick when in this one isolated example he ends up providing equal total points through 3 rounds of a draft?"

You took a RB who had never missed time to injury and happened to miss a ton of it last year and threw Manning in there instead and the numbers were STILL only equal. But that's beside the point, the real crime here is starting this discussion with what basically amounts to a useless example that we can draw up about any position or any player out there.

I could just as easily make a post about how drafting Jason Elam in the top 3 in 2005 netted better results than drafting Priest Holmes top 3 which means that we shouldn't shun drafting a kicker in the top 5, and just because others jumped in and made some worthwhile points doesn't make my post any less ridiculous.

If your goal was just to simulate discussion, just asking or leading with your VBD score example (though I still feel it is a poor idea to formulate a general thread on a less-used scoring system) would have been a much better kickoff than making up some useless, arbitrary example and then asking what's wrong with it.
Dear God.#1 - Re-read the initial post. The numbers I provide there aren't an example of anything. They were run using Dodds' projections for the 2007 season. Using that as a baseline to project, I was illustrating how Manning could represent value at pick #5 according to the Draft Dominator in certain formats. I wasn't basing anything on a single arbitrary example.

#2 - I'm not making any point here at all. I already said in this thread that the odds of my taking Manning at #5 are very slim. This was intended to foster discussion, nothing more. I'm simply playing devil's advocate at times to keep the debate lively.

#3 - Yes, my league's scoring system is TD-heavy. Many other leagues are too. It's hardly comparable to your 1000 PPR example. In fact, in the "162 Cheatsheets" feature each year, there's always a cheat sheet that essentially mirrors it. So it's a usable format, far from the hyperbole you offered up. The idea was to determine if different scoring systems can affect Manning's value relative to other positions enough to make him a viable choice in the top 5-8 picks, rather than the universally accepted 9-13 draft slots.

#4 - There are ways to make a point without being condescending. Particularly when your assertion that the original post was "weak" and "a 6th grade mistake" for basing numbers on an arbitrary example from last year, when they're actually based on this year's projections - numbers hundreds of FBGs will plug into their VBD sheets. If you're going to assault the intellectual capacity of other posters, you should probably ensure that your reading comprehension is up to snuff first. Otherwise you come off looking like a fool when you attempt to flex for the crowd. YWIA.

Currently in an SMD at Ants (w/ no one on CC yet), and from the 5 spot I have so far:

1.05 -- QB, Manning

2.08 -- RB, Portis

3.05 -- TE, Gates

4.05 -- RB, McAllister

We'll see how the rest turns out...

Link to Draft
CAVEAT: Starting lineup: 1 QB 1-2 RB 2-3 WR 1 TE 1 PK 1 DTMost league's require 2 starting RB's and 3 starting WR's. Having the flex option in the format you are drafting, and more importantly, starting one less RB/WR than required in a traditional set up will play in your favor for that draft. Unfortunately, the starting requirements in that mock will change the players drafted and limit the value of the exercise for your evaluation.

Yeah, we do all know how that turned out- Manning finished with a higher VBD than 6 of the 7 players selected between 6th and 12th. So even when Manning comes back down to earth, he's still a phenominal pick in the latter half of the first round.

Yeah, we do all know how that turned out- Manning finished with a higher VBD than 6 of the 7 players selected between 6th and 12th. So even when Manning comes back down to earth, he's still a phenominal pick in the latter half of the first round.
Or the first half, for that matter.

No way. The VBD difference between landing the #1 overall player (Tomlinson) and the #4 overall player (Manning) last season was 144 points. The difference between #4 and #70 or so was about 120 points. The VBD from getting a top1 or top2 player is so extremely high that, imo, you *HAVE* to try to land that player... and that player is NEVER going to be Peyton Manning. Even when he had the greatest fantasy QB season in the history of fantasy QBs, he didn't break 200 points of VBD, so unless you think Manning's going to IMPROVE upon 2004, taking him in the top 3 is insane.The top 3-5 players should always be RBs. Always.

No way. The VBD difference between landing the #1 overall player (Tomlinson) and the #4 overall player (Manning) last season was 144 points. The difference between #4 and #70 or so was about 120 points. The VBD from getting a top1 or top2 player is so extremely high that, imo, you *HAVE* to try to land that player... and that player is NEVER going to be Peyton Manning. Even when he had the greatest fantasy QB season in the history of fantasy QBs, he didn't break 200 points of VBD, so unless you think Manning's going to IMPROVE upon 2004, taking him in the top 3 is insane.The top 3-5 players should always be RBs. Always.
Blah, blah, blah...Scoring systems and roster configurations that don't subscribe to the same stupid RB-only leagues will return VBD heavily in Manning's favor. Just have to use some imagination to get out of this FF rut.

Blah, blah, blah...Scoring systems and roster configurations that don't subscribe to the same stupid RB-only leagues will return VBD heavily in Manning's favor. Just have to use some imagination to get out of this FF rut.
Better idea: when giving general fantasy advice, it's best to give it based on what is far and away the most common scoring system in fantasy football.

Better idea: when giving general fantasy advice, it's best to give it based on what is far and away the most common scoring system in fantasy football.
And, which system would that be?

Meh...just wake me whenever you find it.

1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 PK, 1 Def, 1 point per 10 rushing, 1 point per 20 passing, 6 points per all TDs. The vast majority of leagues are based on that, with small variations in theme (for instance, some have PPR, or 4 points per passing TD, or 1 point per 25 passing, or a flex starter, or no TE required, etc).

1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 PK, 1 Def, 1 point per 10 rushing, 1 point per 20 passing, 6 points per all TDs. The vast majority of leagues are based on that, with small variations in theme (for instance, some have PPR, or 4 points per passing TD, or 1 point per 25 passing, or a flex starter, or no TE required, etc).
If this is the most common scoring system in fantasy football, then you gobble up all the running backs with the first 10 picks. Of course, it's a ######ed system. But, hey...we voted Bush into office, not once but twice, so it's not like it's beyond us not to think these things through sometimes.

This isn't totally applicable since I have the 11th pick in the online draft I'm in but I thought I'd throw it out for discussion in this thread....The format is 1 QB, 2 RB, 3WR/TE (NO TE Mandatory), 1 D, 1K. NO PPR & NO FLEX. Standard scoring with 4 Pt Pass TD's, 1/20 passing, 1/10 Rushing.

This is an experienced group of drafters who tend to lean extra RB heavy...

The first 10 picks were the "Perfect Draft" 10 from FBG magazine. LT through Maroney. I then took Peyton, turn team took Henry/McGahee (said he would've taken Manning by the way leaving McGahee) & I took Bush (over Brown, Portis, MJD, Edge). When I came up @ 3.11, 22 RB's were gone (LT team went W/R, W/R - Owens/Fitz but all 10 others had 2 RB's) & I took Housh & Evans (12th & 13th W/R's off the board) over MB3, Lynch, AP, Green - 4th rders (Jacobs went in MID 3rd by the way - otherwise first 21 RB's matched FBG's GROUP RB Ranking page in Mag). Another small run of RB's in the 5th - DWilliams, JLewis & JJones. I then took JNorwood & Fred Taylor. (over Morency - the turn guys #3, Jordan, Tenn back, CTaylor). The big 6 QB's were all gone by the mid 5th & Kitna (who is going 7th a LOT now by the way) went in the 6th.

I just took Hackett & Betts at the 7/8 Turn.

So I have: Manning @ QB, Bush, Norwood, FTaylor, Betts @ RB, Housh, Evans, Hackett @ WR/TE....

Any thoughts from the VBD guys?? I already know the stud RB guys hate it - LOL Thanks in advance by the way

For the record, this is how my Draft ended up:

QB: Manning, Delhomme/Carr (since drafting in July, and no waivers until 1 week prior to season, wanted to have Carolina situation covered)

RB: James, McAllister, KvJones/Duckett, Chris Brown

WR: LEvans, MaClayton, BrMarshall, BrJones, DrBennett, Battle

TE: Cooley, Pollard

PK: Vinatieri

D/ST: Redskins

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how this experiment panned out.

Some commentary, based on what's been discussed in this thread since I last posted:

First and foremost, the #1 reason, IMHO to TAKE Manning at 1.05 is by doing your own projections/rankings/buckets, and having confidence in them enough to allow them to guide your decision making process through your Draft.

Personally, for the '07 Season, I have absolutely no problem projecting Manning to 'outpoint' the other QBs by a large margin. Not only do I have him projected to throw for over 4200 yards, but I think 32 TD's is his absolute FLOOR barring injuries, and have no problem projecting him up to 40 (actual projection 38).

Not only that, I have a significant gap between what he and the other 'Top 5' QB's (Palmer, Brady, Brees, Bulger) are going to achieve.

IMO, that makes him a worthy risk - I simply feel quite strongly that there is no other player outside of Tomlinson that is going to put up those kind of Fantasy Points in this League...

...and just for poops and giggles, Carolina plays Ariz on Manning's bye - tasty potential there for sure!

I am very high on Edge and McAllister, projecting Edge to be a lower-tier RB1 (RB11 overall), and McAllister to be an upper-tier RB2. This is a TD heavy League, and it's my honest opinion that McAllister could have a very 'Marion Barber 06' season.

Once again 'gap mgmt' in terms of projections comes into play. Outside of Tomlinson, SJackson and LJohnson, I don't see much overall statistical difference between the rest of the Top 12 RB's, so being lucky enough to get Edge at 2.08, to me, is value, as is McAllister at 3.05...

Again, I feel very confident about my projections/rankings/buckets, enough to draft from them without reservation, and I'm happy with my picks given what was available when I made them.

Kevin Jones is my crapshoot, and I while I have some faith in the Lions offense to function with or without Jones, landing Duckett at a value spot (16th Rd) was more important to me than drafting TBell in Rd 9. IF Jones doesn't play a full season, I've got, IMHO, the guy who will amass the majority of rushing TD's the Lions O produces.

Chris Brown was a nice value in Rd 9, with plenty enough upside to be on this team as an RB3/4.

Getting a WR1 (I have Evans ranked as WR11) in Rd 4 was value IMHO. Outside of SSmith, Holt, Harrison/Wayne and ChJohnson/Housh, I just don't see much statistical difference between the next several WR, so getting any one of that crew at 4.08 felt both lucky and good. I'm higher than some on Mark Clayton, but I think most feel he has upside and slots right in with quality WR2 #'s. BrMarshall/BrJones makes a nice pair of rotating targets at WR3, once again, with plenty of upside. In Bennett and Battle, I got a weapon to possibly use against a Divsional Opponent with Marc Bulger, who I play 2X, and a starting WR on an improving team (Battle) in Rd14. I'll take that value.

I have Cooley ranked higher than some, but no one can argue with his situational upside. I have him firmly just outside my top tier of Gates, Gonzo and Heap, so getting him at 6.08 has me feeling both lucky and thrilled. When Cooley is on bye, Pollard has a tasty matchup vs SF, and based on Holmgrens past use (or attempted use) of the TE (Stevens was never lacking opportunity, just didn't always make the most of it), I project solid potential for upside.

The Vinatieiri selection was made for obvious reasons, but in addition provides a little 'Manning Insurance'. Manning is going to throw for plenty of TD's. Vin is going to kick a considerable amt of extra points and FG's. Should Manning throw a few more INT's than his norm, the sheer #'s Vin has the potential to put up can 'insulate' the potentially negative effects of that (6/TDP, -2/INT).

I strongly believe the Redskins Offense will be considerably improved from last year, and due to that improvement, it's likely the Redskins D will show some improvement as well, with strong potential for big plays. Far more upside than where I landed them in Rd18.

So, based on a confidence in Manning, and the good fortune of having players I value fall to me with early picks, under this scoring system, I will happily 'go to the mat' most weeks with a starting lineup of:

Manning/Edge/McAllister/Evans/BrMarsh or BrJones (matchups)/Cooley/Vinatieri/Redskins

In the end, I think the lesson to be learned here is to make projections/rankings/buckets tiers, and have confidence in them enough to trust them when making your Draft decisions.

At least that way, if this team doesn't perform as I think it has the potential to, I know the blame lies with me. Personally, I'm willing to take that bet.

EXPERIMENT OVER (for now)...

nittanylion said:

Personally, for the '07 Season, I have absolutely no problem projecting Manning to 'outpoint' the other QBs by a large margin. Not only do I have him projected to throw for over 4200 yards, but I think 32 TD's is his absolute FLOOR barring injuries, and have no problem projecting him up to 40 (actual projection 38).

Not only that, I have a significant gap between what he and the other 'Top 5' QB's (Palmer, Brady, Brees, Bulger) are going to achieve.
Not to burst your bubble, but aside from the year that Manning threw 49 TDs, his next highest total in 8 other seasons is 33 back in 2000. And, aside from those 33 TDs and last year when he threw 31 TDs, he's thrown in the 20's 6 out of 9 seasons. Projecting 38 TDs is a bit lofty, even by Manning's standards. Your ceiling should be 32, not your floor. Again, if you want to project a significantly higher total than 8 of his 9 seasons, by all means, project away. It's just not logical and there's nothing to suggest an upward trend in the passing game.And to suggest there's a significant gap between Palmer and Manning also has no real basis as Palmer has been virtually on par with Manning the past 2 yrs.

P.S.--I don't really like your team that much, either. Edge and Deuce are serviceable, but your team lacks any kind of elite productivity except at the QB position. Aside from Evans, who still has to prove himself somewhat, your WR's are average at best. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with that team in the least.

nittanylion said:

Not to burst your bubble, but aside from the year that Manning threw 49 TDs, his next highest total in 8 other seasons is 33 back in 2000. And, aside from those 33 TDs and last year when he threw 31 TDs, he's thrown in the 20's 6 out of 9 seasons. Projecting 38 TDs is a bit lofty, even by Manning's standards. Your ceiling should be 32, not your floor. Again, if you want to project a significantly higher total than 8 of his 9 seasons, by all means, project away. It's just not logical and there's nothing to suggest an upward trend in the passing game.
QFTMost people who take Manning that early overproject his stats. So by the numbers they are right that the value is there. The problem is that the numbers are wrong, given historical trends and what is probable to happen.

Re: your team, I think your WRs are light even though I agree you did get great value with Evans in the 4th. Your RBs are a little light as well but I think could be OK if a couple things break right.

You probably would have been better off hammering more later round RBs and WRs than worrying about Delhomme or Carr and picking up a QB in week 2 as someone will have emerged between now and then.

Users who are viewing this thread