What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tannehill's upside (2 Viewers)

Ryan Tannehill 'amazing', Dolphins' Hartline says

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

The Miami Dolphins' reinforced playoff hopes rest on the wide shoulders of quarterback Ryan Tannehill.

Offensive coordinator Mike Sherman promises that Tannehill will be the most improved quarterback in the league from Year 1 to Year 2. Wide receiver Brian Hartline has already noticed a "huge step" forward for Tannehill this offseason.

"He's making every throw, his deep ball looks awesome, and he's got great touch -- you don't feel like it's a rocket coming into your hands," Hartline said, via the Palm Beach Post. "His improvement has been amazing."

Tannehill struggled mightily on third downs as a rookie and went through bouts of inaccuracy later in the season. Like many inexperienced quarterbacks, he also leaned too heavily on his first read, failing to go through his progressions.

If he improves in those three areas, Tannehill has all of the traits to join the conversation of the game's most promising young quarterbacks.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

Rotoworld:

Appearing on NFL32 Tuesday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen said Ryan Tannehill has "without question" generated the most buzz of any quarterback this offseason.
Per Mort, Tannehill's receivers have been praising his improvement in downfield accuracy and getting rid of the ball in a timely fashion. Increased play-speed will be a must for Tannehill behind the Dolphins' dodgy offensive line. Despite all the sound and fury surrounding the Dolphins' free-spending offseason, their hopes in a weakened AFC East live and die with their second-year quarterback.

Good to hear. Sounds like Binns is impressing at WR this offseason so far.

Dolphins still in the mix for Vonta Leech at FB. That would be a good pickup in the blocking game for Tannehill.

Rotoworld:

After studying Ryan Tannehill's 2012 game tapes, ESPN's Ron Jaworski expects Tannehill to make "significant improvement" and have a "big year" in 2013.
Jaws believes Tannehill "showed a lot of positive traits despite having very few weapons at his disposal," including the ability to "subtly move within the pocket to avoid pressure." Added Jaworski, "For a rookie, Tannehill was very good at throwing with bodies around him in what I call a muddied pocket. That's advanced NFL quarterbacking." Jaws conceded Tannehill must improve on third down, where he "had the worst rating of all starting quarterbacks, including seven of his 13 interceptions." Dolphins OC Mike Sherman is already on the record predicting Tannehill will be the NFL's most improved quarterback in 2013.

So I see a lot of commentary around Tannehill being based on his lack of weapons. It's a similar argument people made about Bradford. My question about this kind of circumstance is... how long do you hold onto "potential" when the team seems reluctant to surround them with weapons.

I admit, I'm not nearly as big on the pieces they've added this offseason as a lot of other people seem to be. It just seems like Miami is caught in a loop of grabbing guys who they seem to have had before, losing them, then getting more of the same. Is it fair to think that Tannehill has the talent he needs to succeed, but is on a team that will always struggle to put him in the situation to produce?

Rotoworld:

According to the Miami Herald, the "player feedback" on Ryan Tannehill this offseason has been that he's "more instinctive, less mechanical and less robotic in his reads."
By all accounts, Tannehill lit up pad-less practices. A top-shelf athlete, it's not surprising that Tannehill turned heads in OTAs, but the impressive performance comes on the heels of improved play down the stretch last season. He's shaping up as one of 2013's better QB2 bets.

Source: Miami Herald

So I see a lot of commentary around Tannehill being based on his lack of weapons. It's a similar argument people made about Bradford. My question about this kind of circumstance is... how long do you hold onto "potential" when the team seems reluctant to surround them with weapons.

I admit, I'm not nearly as big on the pieces they've added this offseason as a lot of other people seem to be. It just seems like Miami is caught in a loop of grabbing guys who they seem to have had before, losing them, then getting more of the same. Is it fair to think that Tannehill has the talent he needs to succeed, but is on a team that will always struggle to put him in the situation to produce?
I like their additions this year. I don't think they're a top unit, but vastly improved from last year and probably middle of the pack as far as the NFL goes. Wallace/Hartline/Gibson make for a pretty good WR trio and Keller is a good receiving TE although I believe he's on the lower end as far as blocking goes. So overall, I think the team was very proactive rather than reluctant when it comes to surrounding him with weapons. Personally, I'd have preferred Bennett to Keller, but I think Wallace and Gibson were good moves. Hartline is much better suited as a WR2 than WR1, so while they overpaid for Wallace and Hartline, I think they had to in order to make sure Tannehill had a chance to succeed this year.

The real question here, aside from Tannehill's development, will be the o-line. This unit is definitely in the bottom half of the NFL.

The O-line is a huge question mark with Martin sliding into Jake Longs spot at LT. There is cause for concern. Hopefully he can handle the task of protecting Ryan's blind side.

The development of Lamar Miller and the fact he had his first full NFL off season is going to really be huge for this offense. I am expecting very good impact type plays from Lamar Miller. He will open up the field for Tannehill, Wallace and Keller. Gibson was a very nice move IMO. And will be an upgrade over fan favorite Davone Bess. Gibson can also stretch the field a little (far more than Bess ever could). I really liked Davone but someone was going and they kept Hartline.

Good things for my Dolphins this year. We have a lot of high hopes that we finally have a franchise QB. What was very impressive about Tannehill last season was his great pocket presence and ability to just slide in the pocket and deliver the football. According to all off-season reports he has been a gym rat and has worked very hard to come into 2013 and light it up.

It should be fun this year. But I agree.....the OL is a huge key and they need to play well (obviously).

Last edited by a moderator:
Philip Wheeler raves over Miami Dolphins' fast offense

By Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

We're weeks away from training camp and our first real look at the rebuilt Miami Dolphins. After general manager Jeff Ireland went hog wild in free agency, one of his new additions on defense says the new additions on offense are paying off.

"We have a fast offense, man," linebacker Philip Wheeler told reporters Wednesday, via The Palm Beach Post. "We have playmakers at receiver. Any one of those guys can break it open at any time. We have a young quarterback (Ryan Tannehill), but he's out there playing like a veteran. We have a big offensive line and we can run the power game, spread them out. We can do whatever. Our tight end, we've got some of the best tight ends in the game."

The Dolphins believe their decades-long, post-Dan Marino quest for a franchise passer came to a successful conclusion with last year's drafting of Tannehill. They used this offseason to surround him with weapons, including wideouts Mike Wallace and Brandon Gibson and tight end Dustin Keller. Wallace alone gives the Dolphins one of the league's true burners and places Brian Hartline into a more fitting No. 2 role.

Former Ravens linebacker Dannell Ellerbe, another free-agent signing, dealt with Mike Wallace plenty during the receiver's years on the Pittsburgh Steelers. Ellerbe believes Wallace alters Miami's identity, saying, "I feel like we're going to be a speed team."

Free-agent spending sprees crumble as often as they succeed in the NFL (see: "The Dream Team," circa 2011), but Ireland can't be faulted for laziness. Very much on the hot seat, the team's embattled front-office man has given coach Joe Philbin and his young quarterback plenty to work with.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

Young QB debate: 'His game is complete'

By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

Excerpt:

All four young quarterbacks exceeded reasonable expectations for first-year starters. All four appear to have bright futures. We might want to keep in mind Ryan Tannehill as well. He was slightly better than Luck in both Total QBR and NFL passer rating over the final eight games of the 2012 season.

"[Tannehill] isn't far behind those guys," ESPN.com NFL scout Matt Williamson said during a recent chat. "I don't throw the term 'franchise QB' around lightly, but Tannehill is/will be a franchise QB."

Mike Sherman believes in Ryan Tannehill

By James Walker | ESPN.com

DAVIE, Fla. -- If anyone can accurately forecast what Miami Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill will do in Year 2, it's Mike Sherman.

Miami's offensive coordinator has been with Tannehill since the quarterback was a 19-year-old freshman at Texas A&M. Sherman, a former Aggies head coach, recruited Tannehill and made him wait his turn to play quarterback. Tannehill played receiver for two years before getting his chance at quarterback as a junior and senior. Sherman also played a big role in convincing Miami to draft Tannehill No. 8 overall in 2012.

After a solid showing his rookie year, expectations are even higher for Tannehill. The Dolphins went all-in by surrounding the 25-year old with good receivers (Mike Wallace, Brandon Gibson) and a solid tight end (Dustin Keller).

Tannehill is the biggest key for Miami's success in 2013, and Sherman believes Tannehill is ready to take that next step.

"Whenever I've challenged him, he’s responded,” Sherman said of Tannehill. “I anticipate a great response this season for him. He’s tirelessly working. He’s comes out every day as the same. He’s consistent. The great thing about Ryan, if something good happens he doesn’t get too excited. If something bad happens, it doesn’t get to him.”

Sherman’s observation of Tannehill is very accurate. Tannehill’s even-keeled demeanor was on display during the first week of training camp.

There were some early struggles from Tannehill and the offense on the first few days of camp. The timing was off. Tannehill was a bit erratic and threw three interceptions in the first three practices, which included a pick-six to safety Chris Clemons. But Tannehill shook off the early rust and finished the week strong. He’s currently gone four straight practices without an interception.

This year Tannehill has the swagger of a franchise quarterback. Unlike last year, he’s not a rookie trying to fit in or compete for playing time. Tannehill knows this is his team and his offense.

Tannehill earned his teammates' respect through his play last season by helping lead the Dolphins to seven victories. Sherman, who knows Tannehill better than most, sees an improved mindset in his quarterback in Year 2.

“I think his personality comes out even more,” Sherman said. “I think his leadership comes out even more. The character of the person comes out even more. I think the players see more of him. When we started a year ago, Ryan was not the starter. Now he comes into camp as the designated starter.

“With that comes huge responsibility and big shoes, and he’s wearing them quite well and I think he has a lot of respect from his teammates.”

Rotoworld:

A Dolphins team source told The Phinsider that Ryan Tannehill "works like somebody who wants to be great."
Tannehill has generated early-camp buzz, and in a Monday evening full-squad scrimmage went 9-of-13 passing for 75 yards, three touchdowns, and zero picks. Backups Matt Moore and Pat Devlin combined for no scores and two interceptions. "Tannehill works like somebody who wants to be great and who wants to be a part of something special," said the source. "He’s come into this training camp like a completely different person from a leadership perspective."

Source: The Phinsider

Rotoworld:

Ryan Tannehill hasn't thrown an interception in more than a week at Dolphins camp.
By all accounts, Tannehill is putting together an extremely strong camp. Although he hasn't gotten on the same page with new burner Mike Wallace yet, he's protecting the ball while showing accuracy. We'll get a look at Tannehill's progress is Sunday's Hall of Fame Game against the Cowboys.

Source: ESPN.com

Very, very excited about Tanny's future. On a team more than willing to build around him for the next decade, plenty of athleticism, great work ethic from what I've heard. 4,000 yards too much to ask for this season? That with another 250-350 rushing....not too shabby.

I'm a Tannehill fan, but he looked a bit rusty in the game against Dallas. Hope he gets back into his end of 2012 form.

I would have been impressed if he could even get a 1st down. Bad O-Line, inability to complete passes on obvious passing down, and a boring offense. Everything is short/pre-designed which Tanne isn't bad at. Same things I seen last season. Dallas starters weren't even on the field because of the fumble. Even on the passes he completed he had bad protection. Yikes

This offensive line is really going to hamper his chances to breakout this year. Word has been negative all camp so far and last night helped to confirm.

Dolphins film review: Ryan Tannehill

By James Walker | ESPN.com

The Miami Dolphins looked impressive Friday in their 27-3 victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars. Miami improved to 1-1 in the preseason.

Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill is one of the keys to Miami’s season, so I’m keeping a close eye on his development in Year 2.

After going back and studying the game tape, here is how Tannehill graded on all his throws:

First series

• On his first passing play, center Mike Pouncey and right guard Josh Samuda have a miscommunication that allows Jacksonville defensive tackle Sen'Derrick Marks to get in for a quick sack. (Even)
  • On third down and 11, Tannehill gets a clean pocket and has two short options open with receiver Brian Hartline over the middle and running back Lamar Miller flaring out. But instead of taken what’s given, Tannehill continues to search downfield for the first down until the pocket collapses. He tries to scramble at the end of the play but is thrown to the ground. (-1 point)
Second series
  • On first down, Tannehill shows poise against Jacksonville’s four-man rush. He steps up in the pocket and finds slot receiver Brandon Gibson for a first down. Tannehill's head stayed up the entire time. (+1 point)
  • From the shotgun, Dolphins right tackle Tyson Clabo gets beat inside and a Jacksonville defender falls in front of Tannehill. The quarterback gets happy feet, doesn’t go through the proper mechanics and throws an off-target incompletion to Miller. (-1 point)
  • On third-and-10, Tannehill is quickly flushed out of the pocket. He scrambles right and tries to make a broken play worse by throwing a ball to Miller that’s nearly intercepted on the sideline. Tannehill is trying to force plays, which isn’t his game. (-1 point)
Third series
  • On first down, the coaching staff makes a good play-call by giving Tannehill a rhythm throw to Hartline for 9 yards. (+1 point)
  • On third-and-short, Miami curiously comes out in shotgun and runs a poorly-executed play that results in a batted pass intended for fullback/tight end Charles Clay. Tannehill gets little protection on the play. Miami’s offense goes three-and-out twice in three possessions. (-1 point)
Fourth series
  • Tannehill gets a clean pocket and throws a beautiful touch pass to tight end Dustin Keller over the middle for 24 yards. That was a big-time throw by Tannehill, who set his feet and put the ball right where it needed to be in the hole of the Jaguars’ defense. (+1 point)
  • On first down, Marks gives Samuda problems again. But Tannehill scrambles to get out of the way. Tannehill dumps the ball off to Miller and lets the tailback pick up a decent gain. (+1 point)
  • Tannehill throws an incomplete pass to Brian Tyms. (-1 point)
  • On third down, Tannehill runs the West Coast offense's bread and butter play -- the slant -- to Marvin McNutt. The receiver catches the ball but also gets a pass interference call. (+1 point)
  • Tannehill on the next play sees Keller streaking down the field with single coverage on a safety. Tannehill steps to his right and throw an impressive back-shoulder touchdown pass to Keller, who adjusts and makes a tough catch. (+1 point)
Final point total: +1 pointConclusion: Tannehill did not have a great performance and is still showing signs of his inexperience. This game showed he can make some throws and has the potential that makes a lot of people excited about him. The pass protection broke down at times and Tannehill held the ball too long on some plays. But the good news is Miami has three more preseason games. Tannehill just needs to put it together and be more consistent with his accuracy.

Remember last year tannehill started more nfl games at QB than he ever did in his entire college career. I'm making that up but I believe it's accurate.

If only someone had known that getting rid of your LT, 1 year removed from being consensus top 5 in the league his previous 3-4 seasons and only 27 years old, who would have thought that letting him go for nothing, rolling over a 2nd year Tackle who struggled as a RT the year before and showed nothing to make anyone think he could be a force at the ever harder to play Left Tackle spot, who would have thought that then going out and signing an aging veteran albeit a solid one but a player who is not a good fit for the style of offense Miami runs vs the team he left, who would have thought that shuffling up the Tackle positions on the OL would lead to issues or problems in Tannehill's development year 2, who would have guessed this could and would happen? I gotta say this is hitting us out of left field, very surprising.

Ministry of Pain said:
If only someone had known that getting rid of your LT, 1 year removed from being consensus top 5 in the league his previous 3-4 seasons and only 27 years old, who would have thought that letting him go for nothing, rolling over a 2nd year Tackle who struggled as a RT the year before and showed nothing to make anyone think he could be a force at the ever harder to play Left Tackle spot, who would have thought that then going out and signing an aging veteran albeit a solid one but a player who is not a good fit for the style of offense Miami runs vs the team he left, who would have thought that shuffling up the Tackle positions on the OL would lead to issues or problems in Tannehill's development year 2, who would have guessed this could and would happen? I gotta say this is hitting us out of left field, very surprising.
That was like a SWC post but without the humor.

Ministry of Pain said:
Take that to the bank Brohans? I can't make sense of this.

Ministry of Pain said:
who would have thought Ministry of pain never finished English in high school??? I can't make much out of this...

Ministry of Pain said:
who would have thought Ministry of pain never finished English in high school??? I can't make much out of this...
Seems like a pretty typical MOP post about the Dolphins. The constant fail coming out of Miami is so frustrating all rules of grammar are put to side.

So where are we at with Tannehill now?

Lost a weapon in Keller. (bad) Has connected with Wallace. (good) Numbers seem ok so far. (good) MOP is in meltdown mode. (wash?) Offensive line with question marks? (bad)

I'm on board with Tannehill becoming a top 10 QB based solely on raw ability, but this year? Where is this train headed? In a redraft league would you rather gamble on Tannehill or bank on a veteran like a Carson Palmer type?

One thought - will Miami be playing from behind a lot, and if so, does that bode well for garbage time points for Tannehill?

In redraft, I might look to a Palmer or even (gasp) a Vick type to be my backup. In dynasty, it will take some time for this train to reach full speed, but I'm thinking he'll be top 10 in 2014 or 2015.

Lost a weapon in Keller. (bad) Has connected with Wallace. (good) Numbers seem ok so far. (good) MOP is in meltdown mode. (wash?) Offensive line with question marks? (bad)

I'm on board with Tannehill becoming a top 10 QB based solely on raw ability, but this year? Where is this train headed? In a redraft league would you rather gamble on Tannehill or bank on a veteran like a Carson Palmer type?

One thought - will Miami be playing from behind a lot, and if so, does that bode well for garbage time points for Tannehill?
Honestly...it is very hard to say.

I think the success of Tannehill lies strongly with "can this OL comes together?" If they give him some time he should be fine. If not...another long season.

I think losing Keller was huge. He had developed some great rhythm chemistry with him....and as a team we lost a key target.

But with injury comes opportunity. A 4th target must emerge now. Dion Sims? Charles Clay? I will not even talk about Michael Egnew. He has been a disaster thus far. Sims is a big haus at TE but can he catch the ball effectively enough. Clay we know can catch....but he can't block. Egnew...can't do either thus far at the NFL level.

Keep an eye on Rishard Matthew as a 4th WR for the Fins.

Brandon Gibson is the guy I would bump with this injury.

This weeks game vs Tampa is the only real gauge IMO we can get for the regular season. They will gameplan and play an entire half. I expect to see lamar Miller get far more work than he has up to this point (they have purposly kept him off the field which should hint everyone as to what his real role is cough starter cough).

Daniel Thomas played well against the Texans.....finally. But I still feel he is a liabilty in short yardage and goaline situations. And I think if Miller fufills his promise, Thomas will nothing but a guy to give Miller a breather and if Gray can emerge more in this weeks pre-season game, he can take the short yardage specialist role away from DT.

The Defense IMO will be great this year, which will directly help Tannehill and keep this team in games. Also if we can get more turnovers (which I fully expect) we can get some easy scores.

I think a reasonable expectation for Tannehill this year is 22-25 TD passes. And somewhere around 3600-3900 yards passing. He has weapons. The time is now for him to produce. Last season was a pure hall pass.

Not this year. And I like his moxy. He should have a much better season in 2013.

Honestly...it is very hard to say.I think the success of Tannehill lies strongly with "can this OL comes together?" If they give him some time he should be fine. If not...another long season.

I think losing Keller was huge. He had developed some great rhythm chemistry with him....and as a team we lost a key target.

But with injury comes opportunity. A 4th target must emerge now. Dion Sims? Charles Clay? I will not even talk about Michael Egnew. He has been a disaster thus far. Sims is a big haus at TE but can he catch the ball effectively enough. Clay we know can catch....but he can't block. Egnew...can't do either thus far at the NFL level.

Keep an eye on Rishard Matthew as a 4th WR for the Fins.

Brandon Gibson is the guy I would bump with this injury.

This weeks game vs Tampa is the only real gauge IMO we can get for the regular season. They will gameplan and play an entire half. I expect to see lamar Miller get far more work than he has up to this point (they have purposly kept him off the field which should hint everyone as to what his real role is cough starter cough).

Daniel Thomas played well against the Texans.....finally. But I still feel he is a liabilty in short yardage and goaline situations. And I think if Miller fufills his promise, Thomas will nothing but a guy to give Miller a breather and if Gray can emerge more in this weeks pre-season game, he can take the short yardage specialist role away from DT.

The Defense IMO will be great this year, which will directly help Tannehill and keep this team in games. Also if we can get more turnovers (which I fully expect) we can get some easy scores.

I think a reasonable expectation for Tannehill this year is 22-25 TD passes. And somewhere around 3600-3900 yards passing. He has weapons. The time is now for him to produce. Last season was a pure hall pass.

Not this year. And I like his moxy. He should have a much better season in 2013.
Passed up Lane Johnson after letting Long walk. Tannehill will be under duress a ton this season.

Any new thoughts on Tanny's performance so far this year?

It seems signs are positive for Wallace, Hartline, even Clay and Gibson, and Tannehill's playing well - only thing lacking is multiple TD games.

It seems signs are positive for Wallace, Hartline, even Clay and Gibson, and Tannehill's playing well - only thing lacking is multiple TD games.
He was inches away from a second TD to Wallace. 34 yard pass to the 1. It was on Tannehill, though. He could've led Wallace another 5 yards but instead Wallace had to wait for it. I think the timing will get better with those two and when it does the TDs will come in bunches.

With the ground game sputtering, Tannehill could be relied upon for 550+ passes which would make him a fringe QB1 as soon as he starts hitting on a few more TDs, which is inevitable since I doubt Thomas + Miller = 10+ TDs this year. Their defense is pretty good, though, so they won't have to score a ton, but I expect most of his upcoming games will be of the 2 TD variety.

Another week, another good game for Tannehill. Quietly coming into his own. Beat Andrew Luck and Matt Ryan in back to back weeks.

Everything looks good from a dynasty fantasy perspective as well, except for the early TD numbers.

7.7YPA

827 passing yards. (4410 pace)

66.4% completion percentage

94.3 Passer rating

4 TDs. (on pace for 21)

Arrow is definitely pointing up.

Rotoworld:

Speaking Monday, Dolphins coach Joe Philbin called out Ryan Tannehill's ball-handling issues.
Philbin said he's "delighted" by Tannehill's progress, but that he must do a better job protecting the ball. Tannehill has already committed five fumbles on the young season, losing two of them. It's been a rare trouble spot for Tannehill in his otherwise ascendant sophomore campaign. Tannehill fumbled nine times as a rookie, losing four.

Source: Barry Jackson on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Coach Joe Philbin referred to his team's pass protection as a "big concern."
Ryan Tannehill has taken a league-leading 18 sacks through four games. Some of the blame is on the Dolphins for failing to establish Lamar Miller, but a lot of it is on Jonathan Martin. The left tackle has already surrendered four sacks and eight quarterback hurries while grading out poorly in run blocking. Things won't get any easier in Week 5 as Miami faces Baltimore.

Related: Jonathan Martin

Source: Palm Beach Post

He's coming back down to earth. Sacks, turnovers ect.. are all still a problem. He's throwing for more TDs, but his INTs are going with it. I'm still waiting for that "jump" in production. I think Rishard Matthews in the slot will help his cause a little.

Tannehill has so many good qualities...and so much upside.

However what has become apparent and i do not know if this has to do with him between the ears or the coaching staff. His pocket awareness has gone backwards from last year!

He used to slide and step up...this year...he is a statue...locked on to his primary target...and getting beaten to death. He does not use his great feet....and he has great feet and scrambling ability.

I am almost convinced the coaching staff has told him not to run too much. I don't understand what has happened to that aspect of the game for him.

His OL is an abortion....and the staff has clearly under utilized Lamar Miller.

Anyway.....I still have some hope for him going forward. As long as the clean house with this coaching staff.....I will feel better. they are ruining this kid IMO. They are not playing to his strengths...get him on the run more. he can throw on the run....as good as almost anyone in the league.

Fingers crossed we don't turn him into David Carr.

I still expect big things from Tannehill but the OL is a concern.

He's in for a scary Halloween game.

He was inches away from a second TD to Wallace. 34 yard pass to the 1. It was on Tannehill, though. He could've led Wallace another 5 yards but instead Wallace had to wait for it. I think the timing will get better with those two and when it does the TDs will come in bunches.

With the ground game sputtering, Tannehill could be relied upon for 550+ passes which would make him a fringe QB1 as soon as he starts hitting on a few more TDs, which is inevitable since I doubt Thomas + Miller = 10+ TDs this year. Their defense is pretty good, though, so they won't have to score a ton, but I expect most of his upcoming games will be of the 2 TD variety.
He's still looking for those 2 TD games. Just 1 extra TD a game woudl make him FF startable. Man the talent seems there though. Wallace was the wrong direction I think, they need a primo big time WR to feature with Tannehill, not the one trick pony.

One good sign is what he's done with Clay.

One bad sign is that line, whoowhee. On the other hand he's been able to produce under all that pressure.

Yeah, the line has been worse than I could have possibly imagined (and I wasn't expecting much) plus he hasn't been rushing nearly as much as I anticipated. He started running for about 30 yards a game during the second half of last year but he's only around 10 yards per game this year. Not a huge difference, but 2 ppg is nothing to shake a stick at...

The chemistry and drops with Wallace have been really bad. That is really hurting his YPA and TDs. If someone had told me that Wallace would have 64 targets by week 7 I'd have taken him in the third round. Yet he's only managed 30 receptions, 13.3 YPR, and 1 TD. That's crazy.

There's a lot that they as a team need to turn around, but given the chemistry/drops issues, the running game, and the o-line play, they should be happy they are only 1 game under 500. I'm still pretty optimistic about Tannehill. If they improve their line in the offseason, I'll be snagging him in a lot of redrafts next year.

I'm still pretty optimistic about Tannehill. If they improve their line in the offseason, I'll be snagging him in a lot of redrafts next year.
I was thinking "what?" while reading your post, but this ending makes a lot of sense. I had to finally move on from Tannehill this season, but next season, I agree...if the offensive line is better, he would be a great target. Granted, I was optimistic about Tannehill this season, and look where that got me.

Seems like a pretty typical MOP post about the Dolphins. The constant fail coming out of Miami is so frustrating all rules of grammar are put to side.
What say you all now? That OP that everyone wanted to swipe at, ever hear of sarcasm? "Hitting me out of left field" Go check the Miami Dolphins thread, I think we went on endlessly about this exact situation for several pages.

At the half way mark, Tannehill is on pace for 3,954 yards, 22TDs and 18 INTs.

The defenses that he's faced have been good vs the pass as well. 5/8 are in the top 12 vs the pass, and 6/8 are in the top half.

Not too shabby considering he's got perhaps the worst offensive line in the league in front of him.

At the half way mark, Tannehill is on pace for 3,954 yards, 22TDs and 18 INTs.

The defenses that he's faced have been good vs the pass as well. 5/8 are in the top 12 vs the pass, and 6/8 are in the top half.

Not too shabby considering he's got perhaps the worst offensive line in the league in front of him.
Agree he's doing alright... he did alright last year. Shows flashes of brilliance and flashes of meh. I think at this point he's handicapped by his coordinator. Sherman needs to go... once he's gone Tannehill can thrive. In dynasty, I'm holding (not much else you can do).

He's coming back down to earth. Sacks, turnovers ect.. are all still a problem. He's throwing for more TDs, but his INTs are going with it. I'm still waiting for that "jump" in production. I think Rishard Matthews in the slot will help his cause a little.
Niceeee

It's good and bad. Let's not forget he missed several wide open shots with Mike Wallace in the Carolina game where Miami lost on basically the last play of the game. Then @Pitt if you saw the game he threw a pick 6 to Polamalu on the very 1st throw of the game, he simply dropped it but he would have walked in for a pick 6 and that would have made 2 on the day.

Despite all that he is performing well in the 2 minute drill or offense. He needs to play with that kind of focus from the 1st drive. Attack and put them on their heels. He allows defenses to feel good about themselves and build momentum. Too many sacks on critical downs in the game especially in the 4th Q.

But he is getting better, flashes signs he might be coming around. Let's not get the anointing oils out just yet as Parcells would say.

It's good and bad. Let's not forget he missed several wide open shots with Mike Wallace in the Carolina game where Miami lost on basically the last play of the game. Then @Pitt if you saw the game he threw a pick 6 to Polamalu on the very 1st throw of the game, he simply dropped it but he would have walked in for a pick 6 and that would have made 2 on the day.

Despite all that he is performing well in the 2 minute drill or offense. He needs to play with that kind of focus from the 1st drive. Attack and put them on their heels. He allows defenses to feel good about themselves and build momentum. Too many sacks on critical downs in the game especially in the 4th Q.

But he is getting better, flashes signs he might be coming around. Let's not get the anointing oils out just yet as Parcells would say.
Very happy with Tanne's progression this year. But I do feel he could be a bit more accurate and was surprised to see he's hitting 62+%. He does face extreme pressure, but still seems to miss some open throws when he has time. Love his makeup though and think he's a keeper long-term. Would love to see him use his feet more.

This is one hundred percent incorrect.

On the second to last play of the game, he hit Mike Wallace directly in the hands from 70 yards away.

This is one hundred percent incorrect.

On the second to last play of the game, he hit Mike Wallace directly in the hands from 70 yards away.
I was at the game, he missed him on several, watch the game tape, you sir are 100% incorrect.

Users who are viewing this thread