What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tavon Austin (1 Viewer)

This is over for me already lol. I simply asked if you had a source for the statement you made. I thought it would be an interesting read. Instead of just saying no, you belittled my comment. So I explained myself a bit more.
When a person makes a claim, it is up to others to fact check. That's just how these things work.

WHy do you need an article or proof? Just google the laws of physics dude, jesus.

A concussion is caused by the jolting of the brain, from sudden accelleration of decelleration of the head.

Now use a little bit of common sense..............who is more likely to accelerate or decelerate quickly, a 175 pound guy or a 200 pound guy.

Newton says the 175 pound guy. I, and anyone who took a physics class or google searched anything physics related, would agree.

This is of course dependent on the object Austin would be hitting also. If it is a brick wall with ZERO "give", it won't matter. If it is another player, that is EXACTLY what matters since the other player and that players impact on Austin is directly related to PHYSICS

This is over for me already lol. I simply asked if you had a source for the statement you made. I thought it would be an interesting read. Instead of just saying no, you belittled my comment. So I explained myself a bit more.
When a person makes a claim, it is up to others to fact check. That's just how these things work.
www.google.com

check laws of physics.

also check what causes a concussion

add 2+2

The sun will rise tomorrow, do you need an F'ing link for proof??

www.google.com

check laws of physics.

add 2+2

Relax dude. I know the laws of physics. I took a few years of college physics. There are way too many variables to make a definitive assertion based on elementary physics. Again this is just my opinion, you are welcome to your own. Im going to leave this alone from now on though so we don't sidetrack this thread too much.

www.google.com

check laws of physics.

add 2+2

Relax dude. I know the laws of physics. I took a few years of college physics. There are way too many variables to make a definitive assertion based on elementary physics. Again this is just my opinion, you are welcome to your own. Im going to leave this alone from now on though so we don't sidetrack this thread too much.
The size of people heads are all roughy the same no matter how much they weigh for everyone being a smart ###

The size of people heads are all roughy the same no matter how much they weigh for everyone being a smart ###
Huh?? WHat does the size of anyones head have to do with anything?? I am astonished at this comment, and HAVE to follow up and ask................what the hell are you talking about?

Huh?? WHat does the size of anyones head have to do with anything?? I am astonished at this comment, and HAVE to follow up and ask................what the hell are you talking about?
You are acting like the body size of the men going to lead him to be concussed. I was saying the size of the player doesn't make him more likely to be concussed at all.

You are acting like the body size of the men going to lead him to be concussed. I was saying the size of the player doesn't make him more likely to be concussed at all.
The size of the player is directly related to the impact and force inflicted on a persons body, and how quickly their body accelerates or decelerates due to collision against other players of various sizes.

If Austin runs full speed ahead into Patrick Willis who is also running full speed ahead, he is much more likely (and in fact he will be) jarred to a halt and forced backwards more quickly and forcefully than someoen who is the same size of Patrick Willis, in which case they would hit each other hard but neither person would be jarred backwards. One or both men may still be concussed, but the chances are less for them since the accel/decel of their heads (WHICH ARE ATTACHED TO THEIR BODIES) will be less than Austin's who is much smaller.

Last edited by a moderator:
WHy do you need an article or proof? Just google the laws of physics dude, jesus.

A concussion is caused by the jolting of the brain, from sudden accelleration of decelleration of the head.

Now use a little bit of common sense..............who is more likely to accelerate or decelerate quickly, a 175 pound guy or a 200 pound guy.

Newton says the 175 pound guy. I, and anyone who took a physics class or google searched anything physics related, would agree.

This is of course dependent on the object Austin would be hitting also. If it is a brick wall with ZERO "give", it won't matter. If it is another player, that is EXACTLY what matters since the other player and that players impact on Austin is directly related to PHYSICS
An article would be really interesting and that was the reason someone asked in the first place. Just saying "he's light, he'll probably get more concussions!" seems highly speculative and, given the response, it's something that is worth discussion.

If you say Austin at 175 is more likely to get a concussion than a 200 pound player, you have to assume everything else is constant.

Does Austin have fewer career concussions coming into the league than the average 200 pound receiver?

Does it matter that Austin is a receiver? Concussions in 2011: QB – 7, RB – 16, TE – 20, WR – 22, OL – 24, DL – 16, LB – 20, DB – 46 Defensive backs lead the NFL in concussions at, say, 200 pounds. Offensive linemen typically weigh more than 175 pounds and they have more concussions than wide receivers.

Does it matter which receiver position Austin plays? If he played split end would weight be less of an issue than playing the slot?

Does a 175 pound player get hit as frequently as the 200 pound guy? Are concussions cumulative?

Does Austin have a higher risk of career-threatening concussions than he would if he were the same weight, but 2 inches shorter or taller?

Does Austin get hit in the same way as that 200 pound guy?

Does Austin at 175 pounds, running 18.85 miles per hour, have a higher concussion risk than a 200 pound man running 16 miles per hour?

Does Austin at 175 pounds have a higher risk of career-threatening concussions due to his impressive accelerating than a more plodding player at 175?

Does an elusive Austin at 175 have a higher risk of career-threatening concussions than a less elusive player at 175?

Does Austin have the same neck strength as that 200 pound guy?

Does Austin show good mouthguard discipline?

Does Austin use an older model helmet?

Does Austin"s team take extreme precaution to protect their investment of a 175 pound player?

Does the turf at the Edward Jones Dome have a higher incidence of concussion than a natural grass field?

Does Austin have a rabbit's foot? We'll probably get a thread bump when he gets laid out after one play of the preseason.

Physics plays a large role, you haven't had a single person disagree with you. Biology play just as large of a role, though, we aren't bouncing billiards balls in a text book. It can't be chalked up to just mass. Neuroscience wasn't solved by Newton, though it can be argued his concussion risk would have been much greater if he had lived in a tropical climate and had been lounging under a coconut palm.

vesihiisi, did you read any of my other posts? I said all that regarding biology.

I said Austin's head on a larger body would result in a lesser chance of consussion given the exact same hit scenario. THAT is the physics part.

I mentioned that Austin likely wont let me go over his house with advance medical equipent and test his brain chemisty through a series of hits. Maybe he will, who knows I guess.

I did not, I clicked reply before the head size post was posted.

I think it'd probably be worth asking Tavon, but I think the St. Louis PR department runs a pretty tight ship. My self-address stamped-envelope fanboy letter to Zuerlein didn't get returned at all, much less with the saliva sample I requested to clone him.

vesihiisi, did you read any of my other posts? I said all that regarding biology.

I said Austin's head on a larger body would result in a lesser chance of consussion given the exact same hit scenario. THAT is the physics part.

I mentioned that Austin likely wont let me go over his house with advance medical equipent and test his brain chemisty through a series of hits. Maybe he will, who knows I guess.
That is absolutely incorrect, if you equate "chance of concussion" with "force." I really don't think you know anything about physics. Do you really understand what F=MA means? You do realize that the "M" represents "the mass of the object?" So objects with a larger mass accelerating at the same rate will have more force applied to them? So in your scenario above,if Austin and Andre the Giant were moving at exactly the same velocity and accelerating at the same rate and they both ran into a wall, Andre the Giant would have much force applied to his head than Austin would.

You do realize that acceleration does not mean velocity, right? That acceleration is the change of velocity? And acceleration is a vector meaning it has a directional component? So if you are able to change directions quickly, you have a very good likelihood of reducing "F?" Since Austin is so quick, his chance of changing direction and reducing acceleration is much better than Andre the Giant's chance.

I disagree that it is simply physics. Please show us the physics equations that support your thesis.

That is absolutely incorrect, if you equate "chance of concussion" with "force." I really don't think you know anything about physics. Do you really understand what F=MA means? You do realize that the "M" represents "the mass of the object?" So objects with a larger mass accelerating at the same rate will have more force applied to them? So in your scenario above,if Austin and Andre the Giant were moving at exactly the same velocity and accelerating at the same rate and they both ran into a wall, Andre the Giant would have much force applied to his head than Austin would.

You do realize that acceleration does not mean velocity, right? That acceleration is the change of velocity? And acceleration is a vector meaning it has a directional component? So if you are able to change directions quickly, you have a very good likelihood of reducing "F?" Since Austin is so quick, his chance of changing direction and reducing acceleration is much better than Andre the Giant's chance.

I disagree that it is simply physics. Please show us the physics equations that support your thesis.
You missed the part where I said if they ran into a wall with no "give" their size is irrelevant.

If a smaller guy runs into a larger guy, the smaller guy is going backwards at a quicker and more accelerated rate than if he was larger, hence, the physics part.

The thing (or player) the guy is running into or getting hit by plays a huge factor. I said this.

ghostguy123 said:
kutta said:
ghostguy123 said:

You missed the part where I said if they ran into a wall with no "give" their size is irrelevant.

If a smaller guy runs into a larger guy, the smaller guy is going backwards at a quicker and more accelerated rate than if he was larger, hence, the physics part.

The thing (or player) the guy is running into or getting hit by plays a huge factor. I said this.
I don't want to derail the thread any more than it already has been. Just know that it is more complicated than you are trying to make it. It is not simply "big hits small, small gets concussion." There is kinetic energy in the system (which is higher with bigger bodies), there is direction (which Austin will be able to change quickly), there is time of impact (which Austin will be good at extending), and there is size (and a guy bigger than Austin hitting another big guy is going to create more "total force" than Austin will hitting a big guy). And that's just the "physics" part.

ghostguy123 said:
kutta said:
ghostguy123 said:

I don't want to derail the thread any more than it already has been. Just know that it is more complicated than you are trying to make it. It is not simply "big hits small, small gets concussion." There is kinetic energy in the system (which is higher with bigger bodies), there is direction (which Austin will be able to change quickly), there is time of impact (which Austin will be good at extending), and there is size (and a guy bigger than Austin hitting another big guy is going to create more "total force" than Austin will hitting a big guy). And that's just the "physics" part.
Holy ####e; I just check in to see if there was any new Austin news. I didn't realize there were so many physicians in the ole shark pool. Kutta sums it up perfectly, so just leave it at that please. I'll only add this one tid bit; Tavon never missed a practice, never missed a game, in all of his collage career. Any assumptions made about his susceptibility to concussions is based off of ####e. Either you believe in his ability to translate his incredible athleticism to the NFL, or you don't; pretty simple if you ask me. But what do I know.

Yes, I know. ...........though the concussion part is more accel/decel of the head than it is related to force.

Raider Nation said:
Bri said:
I read "this is what we all thought of when Dante Hall played WR" and that's a real good analogy IMO.
That's a terrible analogy. Hall had 22 catches in four years at A&M.
I took it to mean how people hoped Hall would be but never ever achieved anywhere close to it.

I love how people seem to think that since Austin never missed time in college, he will not miss time as a pro. As if injury projection is just that simple. Lots of guys who never got injured in college get injured as pros. The reason being, generally speaking the college time of these players are small sample sizes in most cases. Shorter seasons, max of 4 total seasons and most really only play 2. Add to it the size, speed and athletic jup to the NFL and the games has changed.

Lets just leave it at this, nobody has a clue if Austin will stay healthy or get injured.

I love how people seem to think that since Austin never missed time in college, he will not miss time as a pro. As if injury projection is just that simple. Lots of guys who never got injured in college get injured as pros. The reason being, generally speaking the college time of these players are small sample sizes in most cases. Shorter seasons, max of 4 total seasons and most really only play 2. Add to it the size, speed and athletic jup to the NFL and the games has changed.

Lets just leave it at this, nobody has a clue if Austin will stay healthy or get injured.
dan Morgan never missed practice or a game in college either. The dude simply couldn't stay healthy in the pros.

ghostguy123 said:
kutta said:
ghostguy123 said:

That is absolutely incorrect, if you equate "chance of concussion" with "force." I really don't think you know anything about physics. Do you really understand what F=MA means? You do realize that the "M" represents "the mass of the object?" So objects with a larger mass accelerating at the same rate will have more force applied to them? So in your scenario above,if Austin and Andre the Giant were moving at exactly the same velocity and accelerating at the same rate and they both ran into a wall, Andre the Giant would have much force applied to his head than Austin would.You do realize that acceleration does not mean velocity, right? That acceleration is the change of velocity? And acceleration is a vector meaning it has a directional component? So if you are able to change directions quickly, you have a very good likelihood of reducing "F?" Since Austin is so quick, his chance of changing direction and reducing acceleration is much better than Andre the Giant's chance.

That all sounds good until Austin catches a quick slant which is anticipated by Patrick Willis. All the quickness in the world can't help you avoid the defender you can't see. I think that is the point that is trying to be made, not that Austin can't protect himself "most" of the time.

ghostguy123 said:
kutta said:
ghostguy123 said:

That is absolutely incorrect, if you equate "chance of concussion" with "force." I really don't think you know anything about physics. Do you really understand what F=MA means? You do realize that the "M" represents "the mass of the object?" So objects with a larger mass accelerating at the same rate will have more force applied to them? So in your scenario above,if Austin and Andre the Giant were moving at exactly the same velocity and accelerating at the same rate and they both ran into a wall, Andre the Giant would have much force applied to his head than Austin would.You do realize that acceleration does not mean velocity, right? That acceleration is the change of velocity? And acceleration is a vector meaning it has a directional component? So if you are able to change directions quickly, you have a very good likelihood of reducing "F?" Since Austin is so quick, his chance of changing direction and reducing acceleration is much better than Andre the Giant's chance.

That all sounds good until Austin catches a quick slant which is anticipated by Patrick Willis. All the quickness in the world can't help you avoid the defender you can't see. I think that is the point that is trying to be made, not that Austin can't protect himself "most" of the time.
That's true, but Tavon is a guy who will be tough to get a clean hit on even by Willis.

Rotoworld:

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch suggests No. 8 overall pick Tavon Austin's "most significant contribution" as a rookie could come on punt returns.
Perhaps the Post-Dispatch was just exaggerating to make the point that Austin has dangerous return ability, but this would be quite disappointing for fantasy drafters. Austin's Average Draft Position remains in round six, ahead of superior picks James Jones, Greg Jennings, DeSean Jackson, and Cecil Shorts. At 5'8/174, Austin is going to have a hard time scoring many TDs on offense.

Source: St Louis Post-Dispatch

Rotoworld:

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch suggests No. 8 overall pick Tavon Austin's "most significant contribution" as a rookie could come on punt returns.
Perhaps the Post-Dispatch was just exaggerating to make the point that Austin has dangerous return ability, but this would be quite disappointing for fantasy drafters. Austin's Average Draft Position remains in round six, ahead of superior picks James Jones, Greg Jennings, DeSean Jackson, and Cecil Shorts. At 5'8/174, Austin is going to have a hard time scoring many TDs on offense.

Fantasy drafters and Rams' fans. I'd be a bit perturbed if my team moved up to the 8th pick overall for a punt returner.

Rotoworld:

Fantasy drafters and Rams' fans. I'd be a bit perturbed if my team moved up to the 8th pick overall for a punt returner.
So people are expecting a rookie WR to be some sort of sensation right off the bat. It's like people want their football straight out of the microwave.

Rotoworld:

So people are expecting a rookie WR to be some sort of sensation right off the bat. It's like people want their football straight out of the microwave.
It has happened before, particularly in PPR return yardage leagues. This kid is small, but laterally and vertically explosive. Add to that he has a natural feel to the game that is extremely rare in combo with his measurables. The hype wagon will be out of control if (when) he breaks a long play in preseason.

Rotoworld:

read the thread and see what you think

Rotoworld:

Or a slot receiver for that matter. But at least he's a good player.

Rotoworld:

Or a slot receiver for that matter. But at least he's a good player.
You say that as if being a slot receiver is an issue.

Anyone have any real updates on how he has looked in camp so far?
The Tavon Austin ShowNo question what the main attraction was among the throngs of fans squeezed in around the practice field. The Rams' offensive weapon did not disappoint. Even in position drills, all eyes were glued to No. 11. But the real fun started when the coaches put the players through 11-on-11 drills near the end of practice.

The crowd went wild at Austin's first reception from Sam Bradford. They were clearly working through the different receivers, so there was only so much Austin for hungry fans to see. It was enough. My favorite play was Bradford hitting him about 25 yards down the field. The whole sequence went like this:

Ball is snapped. Austin was instantly behind the defense (they were blitzing). And in another split second he caught an easy pass from Bradford that would have gone to the house ... if there were only a house to go to in team drills.

Austin works all over the field, but he was mostly lining up wide on Thursday.

Is Rams' Tavon Austin NFL's most explosive player?

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

NFL.com analyst Daniel Jeremiah has predicted that No. 8 overall draft pick Tavon Austin "easily could surpass" 70 receptions as a rookie.

After visiting St. Louis Rams training camp over the weekend, NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock is even more bullish on Austin's prospects.

"I watched all of his tape, I saw him in person at his pro day. He might be the most explosive player I've ever seen in my life, from a static start to full speed," Mayock said on Monday's "Inside Training Camp Live." "He's almost impossible to cover in short spaces. So the ways you can use this are basically only constrained by the imagination of your offensive coordinator."

Mayock noted that Austin joined tight end Jared Cook as the most targeted receivers in weekend practices.

Although Austin says his heart has always been at running back, he recently acknowledged that slot receiver has been his home in training camp.

Could Austin still be in line for a couple of carries per game, similar to Percy Harvin's role with the Vikings?

"You're going to have to come out and watch and see," coach Jeff Fisher said Saturday. "He is versatile. ... Obviously, there's things that everybody does across the league in camp that they don't show until the regular season."

Regardless of whether he lines up in the backfield, in the slot, outside or at H-back, Austin's role will be to create plays in space. How the Rams exploit his talents will be "one of the really interesting questions around the league," Mayock added, "because he catches everything, he's tough, he's smart, and I think he's a guy that Sam Bradford already trusts."

The Around The League Podcast is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.

I have a feeling this guy is going to be way underdrafted compared to the numbers he might put up. He's a weapon and should have a huge rookie season, barring injury.

It's like Faust doesn't even read my posts.

Edit: it was the other Austin thread. He gets a pass on this one.

Rotoworld:

According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Rams rookie WR Tavon Austin has "looked every bit worth" the No. 8 overall pick.
The first skill position player off the board has been turning heads all offseason. He'll make his preseason debut on Thursday evening against the Browns. Although Austin should provide plenty of big all-purpose plays this season, he's an overdraft as anything more than a low-end WR3.

Don't be shocked if the Rams keep things fairly vanilla with Austin during the preseason (there was even a quote from Fisher saying esentially this) as they know what they have with him and are trying to keep him under wraps (as best they can) until they spring him on the NFL during the regular season.

I guess you can't hit what you can't catch, but somebody will eventually truck this turbo teacup. Seriously, I've seen pomeranians bigger than this guy. There's no doubt that tiny Tavon has the afterburners and elite agility. But I saw him embrace the sideline to end a lot of plays in college. He'll need to lower the shoulder and take the inside at this level. And his size limits him to the slot, if you even believe his listed weight is accurate. One missed meal and this guy is easily at 165lbs. He's dynamic but will he prove to be durable?

I saw him embrace the sideline to end a lot of plays in college. He'll need to lower the shoulder and take the inside at this level.
Why would he need to do that? This isn't a 230 lb RB. No coach is going to tell him to stay in bounds to truck defenders.

I guess you can't hit what you can't catch, but somebody will eventually truck this turbo teacup. Seriously, I've seen pomeranians bigger than this guy. There's no doubt that tiny Tavon has the afterburners and elite agility. But I saw him embrace the sideline to end a lot of plays in college. He'll need to lower the shoulder and take the inside at this level. And his size limits him to the slot, if you even believe his listed weight is accurate. One missed meal and this guy is easily at 165lbs. He's dynamic but will he prove to be durable?
Why would you want Tavon Austin lowering his shoulder on the inside at this level? That's not his game, and it's the exact way to ruin the excellent durability he's shown so far in his college career.

I saw him embrace the sideline to end a lot of plays in college. He'll need to lower the shoulder and take the inside at this level.
Why would he need to do that? This isn't a 230 lb RB. No coach is going to tell him to stay in bounds to truck defenders.
I believe the point is he won't be able to always get to the sideline in the NFL. Better players who are faster, more agile and smarter with angles will take that away. They will look to force him inside, like a basketball player with only one good driving hand.

Why would you want Tavon Austin lowering his shoulder on the inside at this level? That's not his game, and it's the exact way to ruin the excellent durability he's shown so far in his college career.
At the NFL level, you can't avoid cutting it back inside just to avoid contact with a defender, especially playing out of the slot. He's not going to stiff arm anyone but he'll need to at least try because he's not making it to the sideline on every play in the NFL.

I believe the point is he won't be able to always get to the sideline in the NFL. Better players who are faster, more agile and smarter with angles will take that away. They will look to force him inside, like a basketball player with only one good driving hand.
Marvin Harrison always fell down before contact....Im sure Tavon will learn to do the same.

Users who are viewing this thread