What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Evan Engram, JAX (1 Viewer)

Evan Engram (calf) is questionable for Week 8 against the Panthers.

Engram was downgraded mid-week, causing a stir that he may have reaggravated the calf injury that kept him sidelined to open the year. Having averaged 3.5 catches for 31.8 receiving yards in four starts this year, Engram is a thin bye-week filler even if he's available on Sunday.

SOURCE: Dan Duggan on Twitter

Oct 22, 2021, 1:42 PM ET

He does need a fresh start. Maybe with the right team and athletic staff around him he can turn it around.

I refuse to believe he'll be out of the league next year. He'd be good trying to gun for a Gesicki type of role 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to cast aspersions, but he always struck me as a bad draft pick and a guy on my DND list after a short amount of time in the NFL. Never trusted him to get on the field at that weight, and then he proved he couldn't stay on it once he got there. The team has been awfully accommodating of his injuries and whatnot, but like kody said, great athlete, not much of a football player. Struck me as a basketball-looking guy, and he'd be even a bit frail for anything beyond a two guard in the NBA.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports that multiple teams have expressed interest in trading for Evan Engram.

Engram has struggled with injuries this season has a poor 1.12 yards per route run this season. His 4.8 aDOT reflects Jason Garrett's continued desire to use Engram like Jason Witten. Engram's athletic ability would make him a better fit to be used like the Browns are deploying David Njoku. It remains unclear which teams are interested in Engram, and it's possible he would be a part-time player wherever he lands. Still, a trade looks like Engram's best shot of turning into a truly fantasy relevant player this season.

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Oct 27, 2021, 11:21 AM ET

Evan Engram caught 3-of-4 targets for 15 yards and one touchdown in the Giants' Week 8 loss to the Chiefs.

Engram's five-yard touchdown catch in the second half was his first score of the season and just his second in the last two years. It was a perfect throw on the outside shoulder from Daniel Jones. Engram has been held to 44 yards or fewer in all but one game this season and has been mentioned as a possible trade candidate ahead of Tuesday afternoon's deadline. If he's not dealt, Engram will be a back-end TE2 next week against the Raiders.

- NBC SportsEDGE

SNY's Ralph Vacchiano reports are "interested" in trading for Evan Engram before the NFL's 4 p.m. trade deadline. 

Vacchiano said the Packers have "asked around" about potential tight end trades in recent days following Robert Tonyan's Week 8 season-ending knee injury. Engram, long misused by Giants offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, would be a sensible acquisition for Green Bay if they're willing to pay the price for Engram. A source told Vacchiano that the Giants' asking price for Engram is "higher than you'd think." Engram, who once upon a time (2017) was a top-5 fantasy tight end, would have far more fantasy appeal in Green Bay's offense than he does in New York's vanilla scheme. Kyle Rudolph would become the team's primary pass-catching tight end if Engram departs via trade. 

RELATED: 

Robert Tonyan

, Kyle Rudolph

, Green Bay Packers

SOURCE: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter 

Nov 2, 2021, 11:12 AM ET

Evan Engram caught all three of his targets for 38 yards and a touchdown in the Giants' Week 9 win over the Raiders.

Engram saved an otherwise uneventful day with a 30-yard score in the opening minutes of the game. He was still out-targeted by Kyle Rudolph on the day. To be fair, Rudolph inexplicably led the Giants in targets. Engram hasn't topped 50 yards since Week 5, when he earned a season-high, 55 yards. He will remain a low-ceiling TE2 upon returning from the Giants' bye in two weeks.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Just….so much wasted physical ability. 

He was a dynasty startups auction pick. He was sitting there at $11, and I thought it was too little. Bid $12. They bid $13. Etc. next thing I know it’s $17 & I’m the “winner”.

I think about what else I coulda had for that $17 and man. :(  

Teams inquiring Giants about TE Evan Engram as slot receiver as well as tight end
Interesting.

------------------

...The past two years, Engram spent most of his snaps in the slot -- 362 snaps in the slot in 2021; 345 in 2020 per Next Gen Stats.

With teams viewing tight ends differently in recent years, lines between certain tight ends and wide receivers have blurred --

The Athletic's Dan Duggan reports the Bills are expected to be a "top suitor" for free agent Evan Engram. 

Duggan's report is via a league source. Despite the continued emergence of Dawson Knox, the Bills have been generating some tight end rumors this offseason, including ex-Bucs and Pats seam man Rob Gronkowski. Gronk is a Western New York native. As for Engram, he is coming off an awful end to his shaky Giants career, though he remains only 27 with theoretical untapped pass-catching upside. His quarterback situations have long been dreadful in New Jersey. Sources estimated to Duggan an average annual Engram salary somewhere between $7-$8 million. 

RELATED: 

Buffalo Bills

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Mar 10, 2022, 5:47 PM ET

Bills clearly want to run more 2 TE formations, which is odd because even with Beasley gone Isaiah McKenzie looked really good in the slot. Engram played a lot of slot TE for the Giants and I guess Bills might want Knox as the TE on the line and Engram as the drop passes migraine producer MOVE TE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bills clearly want to run more 2 TE formations, which is odd because even with Beasley gone Isaiah McKenzie looked really good in the slot. Engram played a lot of slot TE for the Giants and I guess Bills might want Knox as the TE on the line and Engram as the drop passes migraine producer MOVE TE.
That would suck because Knox is a good receiving TE.

That would suck because Knox is a good receiving TE.
The Bills have also been linked to Gronk as well.

I don’t think adding another receiving TE would mean a step back at all for Knox, rather more a shift in offensive philosophy a bit. Right now their top 4 receivers signed are Diggs, Davis, Beasley and Kumerow and it appears the Bills are likely moving on from Beasley.

The Bills are probably going to go to a 12 personnel set a lot more if possible to stress the middle of the defense more and give them another bigger body to help jumpstart the run game as well.

More and more teams are playing nickel a significant percentage of snaps. If you have Knox and Engram/Gronk out there, either you’re going to end up with a nickel corner on one of them, or you’re going to end up with a linebacker matched up on them who probably won’t be able to keep up in coverage.

As a Bills fan, my biggest concern is that both Engram and Gronk simply have a lot of injury issues. Though it would be incredibly ironic if the Bills sign Gronk and he ends up missing a ton of time since they stupidly (in retrospect) passed up on him in the draft because they didn’t think his back would hold up. Would be such a Bills thing if they finally sign the hometown surefire HOFer and his back finally gives out once and for all.

The Bills have also been linked to Gronk as well.

I don’t think adding another receiving TE would mean a step back at all for Knox, rather more a shift in offensive philosophy a bit.
I think it would if he stays on the line and blocks more as a previous poster suggested.  I don't think that would happen however.

The Athletic's Joe Buscaglia suggested Evan Engram could be used as a slot receiver if the Bills sign him in free agency. 

The Bills, per Buscaglia, are unlikely to bring back Cole Beasley and probably won't get into a bidding war for free agent Isaiah McKenzie, leaving a hole at slot receiver in 2022. Buffalo's increasing usage of two tight end sets in the final month of the 2021 regular season suggests the team could be ready to invest in another tight end to play alongside Dawson Knox.  "Adding Engram to an explosive offense with Stefon Diggs, Gabriel Davis, Dawson Knox, and whoever else they bring in gives Engram a chance to significantly outplay his deal with the Bills," Buscaglia said, adding Engram could be signed at a relatively low cost due to his poor production in the abysmal Giants offense. Weeks of reports on the Bills' potential free agency moves points to the team adding a tight end, whether it's Engram, Rob Gronkowski, or O.J. Howard. 

RELATED: 

Dawson Knox

, Buffalo Bills

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Mar 11, 2022, 9:25 AM ET

Jaguars agreed to terms with TE Evan Engram, formerly of the Giants, on a one-year, $9 million contract.

It's fully guaranteed. This is probably the best of the Jaguars' Monday deals. All things considered, it's a low-risk move for one year, and it gives both sides a chance to see if a rebound year is in store for Engram now that he's escaped Daniel Jones and Jason Garrett. Of course, all of Engram's issues can't be attributed to those two, as he's rarely been able to stay healthy and has let his play slip at times. In Jacksonville, he'll be rejuvenated to again hit the market next year at this time or get an extension from the Jaguars. The Jaguars will pair Engram with Dan Arnold at tight end. Hopefully new OC Press Taylor will get Engram split out wide and in the slot more and keep him away from blocking duties.

RELATED: 

New York Giants

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 14, 2022, 5:45 PM ET

Well, there are worse landing spots. I like that it’s another contract year. Young QBs do be liking their TEs. 

Maybe I can trade him for a ‘23 pick before all’s said & done. 🤔 

Not bad for my dynasty TE2. Decent pay- not sure where Dan Arnold fits in all this but probably not much considering he was an Urban trade. Hoping Pederson uses Engram like Ertz.

D.Arnold will likely be a primary blocker now. 
Not a chance that happens. Arnold is 220 pounds and the worst blocking TE in the NFL. Engram is a better blocker than Arnold. 

I'm expecting a bit of a TEBC in Jacksonville. I doubt anybody is worth owning in fantasy next season. Its a small pie, and there are a lot of pieces better than Engram or Arnold. 

Not a chance that happens. Arnold is 220 pounds and the worst blocking TE in the NFL. Engram is a better blocker than Arnold. 

I'm expecting a bit of a TEBC in Jacksonville. I doubt anybody is worth owning in fantasy next season. Its a small pie, and there are a lot of pieces better than Engram or Arnold. 
Engram has vastly better potential as a receiver though. and this is a coach that made Zach Ertz a star. if I were a betting man, I would bet on Evan Engram being the tight end of the two for fantasy purposes.

Engram has vastly better potential as a receiver though. and this is a coach that made Zach Ertz a star. if I were a betting man, I would bet on Evan Engram being the tight end of the two for fantasy purposes.
I think its very likely that Engram outproduces Arnold, while still being basically worthless. Engram is still getting credit for being a bad 1st round pick. He was a 3rd round prospect who got bumped up due to a good combine. He's never developed and has arguably gotten worse every year.

I don't think what Ertz did is relevant at all. Engram has never been in his league ability wise. 

I'd put the over/under at 35 catches for Engram, and that's assuming they don't take a WR at #33. I fully expect the Jags to use him less than the Giants did. 

I think its very likely that Engram outproduces Arnold, while still being basically worthless. Engram is still getting credit for being a bad 1st round pick. He was a 3rd round prospect who got bumped up due to a good combine. He's never developed and has arguably gotten worse every year.

I don't think what Ertz did is relevant at all. Engram has never been in his league ability wise. 

I'd put the over/under at 35 catches for Engram, and that's assuming they don't take a WR at #33. I fully expect the Jags to use him less than the Giants did. 
Due respect, but I think you’re way off base here.

Engram is a better physical specimen than Zach Ertz has ever been. He is easily faster & more agile.

Citing his lack of development without acknowledging the context of never having had a quality quarterback, offensive line, plus absolute coaching mediocrity seems to be doing Evan Engram a tremendous disservice.

there’s no doubt that he has underachieved as an NFL player since being selected in the first round. The reasons why are absolutely relevant to this discussion.

Jacksonville got themselves a potential bargain for this year.

Due respect, but I think you’re way off base here.

Engram is a better physical specimen than Zach Ertz has ever been. He is easily faster & more agile.

Citing his lack of development without acknowledging the context of never having had a quality quarterback, offensive line, plus absolute coaching mediocrity seems to be doing Evan Engram a tremendous disservice.

there’s no doubt that he has underachieved as an NFL player since being selected in the first round. The reasons why are absolutely relevant to this discussion.

Jacksonville got themselves a potential bargain for this year.
Faster and more agile is nice, but somewhat meaningless. Ertz wins with a great understanding of coverages, route running, and hands. All 3 of those are things Engram has shown a lack of. 

Engram has been on the decline for 3 years. If you want to chalk that up to Eli Manning retiring, I can see that argument. Trevor Lawrence(in theory anyway) should be better than Daniel Jones. But overall, I see a 27 year old TE, who has never really been very good, who is 3 years removed from his best season, and didn't look any better than end of career Kyle Rudolph a year ago. 

I'd bet against Engram being a top-20 TE next season. 

Faster and more agile is nice, but somewhat meaningless. Ertz wins with a great understanding of coverages, route running, and hands. All 3 of those are things Engram has shown a lack of. 

Engram has been on the decline for 3 years. If you want to chalk that up to Eli Manning retiring, I can see that argument. Trevor Lawrence(in theory anyway) should be better than Daniel Jones. But overall, I see a 27 year old TE, who has never really been very good, who is 3 years removed from his best season, and didn't look any better than end of career Kyle Rudolph a year ago. 

I'd bet against Engram being a top-20 TE next season. 
I would take that bet. He can be top 12 pretty easily in that system. Young QB is a plus for a TE’s numbers - the TE safety valve is a real thing.

He's a better physical specimen, true, but catching the ball is kind of important and Engram hasn't mastered that. He's also not even close to being as good a route runner as Ertz was/is.
I don’t disagree. But I see a lot of Engram’s developmental issues as bad team, bad coaching, bad QB.

yea, he struggled with drops. He also struggled with staying interested in terrible teams.

And he struggled with injury, which is another risk.

I’m betting on a clean slate. If I didn’t have him rostered, i wouldn’t make it a priority to go out and get him, but I do believe he has a chance to be better than he’s been & finally capitalize on some of his immense potential. 

yea, he struggled with drops. He also struggled with staying interested in terrible teams.
Well for one thing if this is true, than that's a pretty big negative against him - especially since he's now on the worst team in the league.

And he was a large part of why the Giants were a terrible team. I have to watch them every week - Engram is not very good. He looks like Tarzan plays like Jane as the saying goes.

Well for one thing if this is true, than that's a pretty big negative against him - especially since he's now on the worst team in the league.

And he was a large part of why the Giants were a terrible team. I have to watch them every week - Engram is not very good. He looks like Tarzan plays like Jane as the saying goes.
Feels like one of those guys someone will always fall for in fantasy. 

Some guy with a lot of Sam Bradford and Josh Gordon on his roster history. 😂

I mean, you don’t *have* to watch them. :lol:  

Evan Engram said he had "an immediate interest" in signing with the Jaguars because of head coach Doug Pederson's history with tight ends. 

Engram's usage in the Giants offense was laughable for years. The uber-athletic pass catcher was relegated to short targets in New York's lifeless passing offense, destroying his fantasy appeal. Engram may have grinded Eagles box scores from Pederson's time as Philadelphia's head coach, when Zach Ertz recorded 357 receptions in his first four seasons under Pederson. Dallas Goedert also had success as the Eagles' TE2 during Pederson's tenure in Philly. Engram, entering his age-28 season, has shown flashes of play-making potential. As a rookie in 2017, he had 64 receptions for 722 yards and six touchdowns, finishing as fantasy's fifth highest scoring tight end. Engram's issues with drops, meanwhile, has been overblown in recent years. Last season, Engram dropped 8 percent of his targets, 13th highest among tight ends and lower than Goedert. 

RELATED: 

Dan Arnold

SOURCE: John Reid on Twitter 

Mar 17, 2022, 2:07 PM ET

Jaguars offensive coordinator Press Taylor said Evan Engram will create mismatches in 2022. 

Taylor seems enthused about his new uber-athletic tight end, who signed a one-year deal with Jacksonville last month. “When we put Evan Engram on the field, who’s going to cover him?” Taylor said. “Do you need to bring in a lighter body? Do you put a nickel on him? Do you put a safety on him? Do you put a linebacker on him, which we would ask for if you had to pick? Evan kinda brings that with his speed overall.” Long misused by a clueless and ineffectual Giants coaching staff, Engram could return to form in the Jacksonville offense this season. As a rookie in 2017, he had 64 receptions for 722 yards and six touchdowns, finishing as fantasy's fifth highest scoring tight end. Engram could command a surprising target share in a Jags offense with a dominant wideout. 

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com 

Apr 18, 2022, 11:15 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread