What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Hayden Hurst, LAC (1 Viewer)

Hayden Hurst said he's been driving back and forth from Jacksonville to Atlanta for the last four weeks to catch passes from Matt Ryan.

“That’s helping me a lot," Hurst told ESPN's Mina Kimes. "That’s really going to pay off during training camp." Acquired from the Ravens in March, Hurst is coming in to replace Austin Hooper after Hooper left in free agency for the Browns. The former first-rounder, Hurst has yet to really do much from a statistical standpoint in the NFL, but this will easily be his best chance at putting up counting stats. Ryan loves to spread the ball around and get his tight ends involved, whether it was Tony Gonzalez or Hooper previously. Hurst is getting some hype in the fantasy community and should easily be able to out-produce his 30-349-2 line from 2019. He's a candidate to flirt with 100 targets after seeing just 39 in Baltimore last season.

SOURCE: Vaughn McClure on Twitter

May 20, 2020, 1:19 PM ET

His ADP in 14-teamers is still around mid-10th round over the course of last week. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD stay there over the summer.

(it won't :( )

Last edited by a moderator:
How have I not posted in this thread already? I really liked Hurst as a draft prospect and think he was a bit unfortunate with how things shook out in Baltimore. He got injured in his rookie season and then Andrews just took control of the receiving TE position and never looked back. The fact that Hurst reaped a decent windfall in a trade shows that he's still highly-regarded in the league and this seems like a great opportunity for him to finally showcase what he can do. I know he was over-aged in college, but all the same he did some special things for a 250+ pound TE. They even had him handling some reverses and carries, which is not something you often see from a TE.

Strong breakout candidate. Easy buy/hold for me in both dynasty and redraft.

Matt Ryan talked up new Falcons TE Hayden Hurst in a Tuesday Zoom session. 

Ryan described Hurst as one of the "fastest and most athletic tight ends I've ever played with." That is high praise coming from a quarterback who has played with Tony Gonzalez and Austin Hooper. In 12 seasons with Ryan at quarterback, Falcons tight ends have produced seven 70-catch campaigns. Currently the TE11 by ADP, Hooper is no longer a sleeper value, but that remains a nice price for a player in the right place at the right time. 

Rotoworld

Matt Ryan talked up new Falcons TE Hayden Hurst in a Tuesday Zoom session. 

Ryan described Hurst as one of the "fastest and most athletic tight ends I've ever played with." That is high praise coming from a quarterback who has played with Tony Gonzalez and Austin Hooper. In 12 seasons with Ryan at quarterback, Falcons tight ends have produced seven 70-catch campaigns. Currently the TE11 by ADP, Hooper is no longer a sleeper value, but that remains a nice price for a player in the right place at the right time. 

Rotoworld
Matt Ryan impressed by Hayden Hurst: One of the "fastest and most athletic tight ends I've ever played with'

I'm really thinking Hurst could be a top-5 TE this year. He has more upside than Hooper ever had in my opinion. The Falcons could very likely throw 700+ passes this season, other than Julio, that entire passing game is underrated. 

75-800-7 is my expectation for Hurst.

I have some interest in Hurst acc. to where he is available, but take issue with the Andrews comparison:
1. He's going 4-5 rounds earlier than you could get Andrews last year, which is material
2. He has no chance of leading the team in targets or receptions
3. There was a lot of pre-season buzz about chemistry with Jackson

Hurst is a good player but I dunno....was a great sleeper early in the offseason but absolutely everyone is on him now and he’s almost being drafted at his ceiling IMO. Everyone seems to be assuming he just walks in and mirrors Hooper’s production (or does better).

I’m probably wrong but this just feels too obvious and I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up being a disappointment. Can he be a TE1? Sure. But there’s some risk he’s just a boring TE2 type who’s too inconsistent to rely on as a starter.

I'm on board. And I never thought Hooper was anything more than a jag in a great system. I can't wait to see what Hurst can do. 

I'm on board. And I never thought Hooper was anything more than a jag in a great system. I can't wait to see what Hurst can do. 
On board here too.

Let us not forget he was a 1st round pick.  He was unfortunately stuck behind MARK ANDREWS , so that effectively did him no favors.

I was high on this guy all offseason, and I have traditionally played the "no TE/late TE game in my leagues" with little success lol.  I think if you couldn't draft a top 2-3 guy this year, he has as good a shot as any to succeed and a big finish wouldn't shock me one iota.

Landing with the pass happy Falcons is one of the best spots he could have ended up with honestly. 

I think a reasonable FLOOR for this guy might be TE 8-9, which is still someone you just plug in and forget about it.  

I landed him  late  in 2 of 3 redrafts.  (Round 9 in one league, round 12 in an 8 teamer)     Honestly I think I could have waited another round or two in my 10 teamer, but I liked him more than the RB carcasses that were left at that time.

I have another league this week, a .25 PPR and hope to land him there too tbh.  With those guys I play with in that league, he should be a late pick there too.

This is the one guy from late in the pack that wouldn't surprise me with a TE 2 -3 finish.

Fire up the hype train.      :football:

TZM

Hayden Hurst caught 3-of-5 targets for 38 yards in the Falcons' Week 1 loss to the Seahawks. 

The Seahawks have one of the league's toughest tight end defenses — and new addition Jamal Adams was flying all over the field Sunday — but it was still a disappointing statline on an afternoon where Matt Ryan attempted 54 passes. Hurst did make a highlight-reel grab on his first reception, getting a step on Shaq Griffin and Adams before making a diving 27-yard catch. It's far too early to write Hurst off as a potential TE1 in the Falcons' pass-happy offense. Another offensive-friendly environment is on tap for Week 2 in the Cowboys.
Better days are coming for Hurst. This offense + their philosophy are too good for Fantasy TEs. Will have to see his snap rate.

Hayden Hurst caught 5-of-8 targets for 72 yards and one touchdown in the Falcons' Week 2 loss to the Cowboys.

Hurst was quiet with 3-38-0 on five targets in Week 1 against Seattle, but he was on the field a ton in that one, and the usage was there in this one. Hurst was left wide open down the left side for a 42-yard touchdown in the first half. His eight targets were third on the team. The trade pickup should be rostered in 12-team league as an every-week TE1 in this shootout offense. The Falcons get the Bears in Week 3.

Sep 20, 2020, 5:30 PM ET

Not a huge week compared to some other TEs, but good to see the TD, although it was totally blown coverage. 

They doubled him over the middle near the GL a lot after that. 

Hayden Hurst caught 1-of-3 targets for one yard and a touchdown in the Falcons' Week 3 loss to the Bears.

Hurst simply was not involved today after a first half touchdown, which is odd considering how difficult it was for Matt Ryan to complete a pass in the fourth quarter. Hurst now has 13 targets through three games, and a touchdown in back to back games.

- Rotoworld
It was maddening to see, it was like Ryan was looking to pass to everyone but Hurst. Considering his traits, the offense, Ju8lio being out and his athleticism, he should he getting fed targets but he's just not.

Hayden Hurst caught 4-of-6 targets for 51 yards in the Falcons' Week 4 loss to the Packers.

Hurst has 50 yards and/or one touchdown in three straight games. Playing in a pass-heavy offense that is always chasing points, Hurst is a weekly back-end TE1 as the fourth option in the passing game. Hurst gets a Week 5 home date with the Panthers.

Oct 6, 2020, 12:21 AM ET

Hayden Hurst caught 2-of-6 targets for eight yards in the Falcons' Week 5 loss to the Panthers.

It's another painful stat line for Hurst, who seemed to run a lot of low-value routes near the line of scrimmage once again. To be fair, Hurst was missed twice in the red zone by Matt Ryan, who has looked brutal without Julio Jones. For fantasy, there's really nowhere to go if you're rostering Hurst. There's likely nobody on the waiver wire seeing more targets per game (5.6) than Hurst, especially when you factor in the upside of this Atlanta offense. He regrettably will be on the TE1/2 border against the Vikings in Week 6.

- Rotoworld
It's maddening. More athletic than Hooper and has a better catch rate, but isn't getting targets funneled to him the way Hooper had plus Ryan has no connection with him. He runs tons of routes and has no competition at TE on the team but can't get goign because of the O/Ryan.

The Frankman said:
It's maddening. More athletic than Hooper and has a better catch rate, but isn't getting targets funneled to him the way Hooper had plus Ryan has no connection with him. He runs tons of routes and has no competition at TE on the team but can't get goign because of the O/Ryan.
Really odd, you kind of wonder if the offense wouldn't flow better if they established this position a bit.

Really odd, you kind of wonder if the offense wouldn't flow better if they established this position a bit.
To some extent the 3rd WR is taking a lot of the intermediate work occupied by Hooper, but there should be work for Hurst with how much that O featured the TE position in the past.

Patience running a bit thin as the Falcons turn into the Eagles South...  Now that we're past some byes, in theory, I could waive Hurst in favor of a RB/WR flyer.  Thoughts on them righting the ship?

I think in a number of leagues I simply don't have other better options and am forced to keep the faith.

*Removes bile from stomach via mouth cavity*

I think in a number of leagues I simply don't have other better options and am forced to keep the faith.

*Removes bile from stomach via mouth cavity*
Sad but true. I traded Ingram for him 2 weeks ago because that's just how badly I needed a TE (and how bad Ingram has been).

Oh my ####### God Hayden Hurst was actually allowed to catch a ball and run with it...

EDIT: Of course blown coverage.

I've immediately put him on the block to the rest of my league, gotta Sell High you know... I imagine the offers will come flooding in!

Hayden Hurst caught 4-of-4 targets for 57 yards and a touchdown in the Falcons' Week 6 win over the Vikings.

Hurst has been inside the top-five in routes run all season and patient Hurst holders were rewarded with a TE1 finish. His touchdown came late on a sharp play design, one made possible because of Julio Jones' presence. Hurst arguably benefits with Jones in the lineup because he'll get softer coverages and Atlanta could pass the ball even more. The Falcons catch another awesome matchup in Week 7 with Detroit heading south. Hurst will be a top-10 option then.

Oct 18, 2020, 4:24 PM ET

I'm going to have to watch old tape, but it certainly looks like his role is tied to rubbing off coverage from Julio/other WRs. This is his 2nd or 3rd blown coverage TD of the year, and with his short aDoT it looks like the defense flows one way to Julio or Ridley and he's crossing the other way uncovered. It would explain why he's Top 5 in routes run and lining up all over the field... he's working off how the defense plays the receivers.

Hayden Hurst caught 5-of-7 targets for 54 yards in the Falcons' Week 8 win over the Panthers. 

Hurst has now reached 50 yards in 4-of-5 games, including each of his past three. He could have had a bigger night but was the victim of some inaccurate Matt Ryan passes, one he turned into a highlight reel shoe-string grab. With Calvin Ridley departing with an ankle injury, Hurst could be needed for more volume in Week 9 against the Broncos. Regardless of Ridley's status, Hurst has locked himself in as a back-end TE1. 

Oct 30, 2020, 12:13 AM ET

Hayden Hurst (ankle) is questionable for Week 12 against the Raiders. 

Hurst, who has run the fourth most pass routes and has the tenth most targets among tight ends this season, is coming off a catchless game against New Orleans. Still, he's a better weekly option than most tight ends you'll find on the waiver wire. If he's active against the Raiders, Hurst will be a high-end TE2 against a Vegas defense allowing 4.7 tight end receptions per game. 

SOURCE: Jason Butt on Twitter 

Nov 27, 2020, 4:29 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread