What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Maxx Williams, ARZ (2 Viewers)

He is still not selected as of pick 2.10 in 12 team ppr (no TE bonus). If you selected him in your dynasty league rookie draft, what pick was it and who did you pass on to select him?
Haven't drafted yet - but if he is there at 2.03 I'll be all over that. Rather take the top TE prospect at that point than questionable RB/WR's.

12 team as well, but 1ppr for TE as compared to .5ppr for other skill positions. He would sit behind Kelce and Ertz on my squad, but top TE's get have huge trade value in my league.

He should be gone in your league IMO - even without a TE bonus.
Rather surprised he's lasting past the early 2nd in any league that requires a TE.

He is still not selected as of pick 2.10 in 12 team ppr (no TE bonus). If you selected him in your dynasty league rookie draft, what pick was it and who did you pass on to select him?
Haven't drafted yet - but if he is there at 2.03 I'll be all over that. Rather take the top TE prospect at that point than questionable RB/WR's.

12 team as well, but 1ppr for TE as compared to .5ppr for other skill positions. He would sit behind Kelce and Ertz on my squad, but top TE's get have huge trade value in my league.

He should be gone in your league IMO - even without a TE bonus.
Rather surprised he's lasting past the early 2nd in any league that requires a TE.
people know TEs take awhile to produce in FF

He went 1.7 in one of my dynasty leagues and I wanted him badly at the 1.12 but that ended quickly. I traded back and ended up with Yelden instead as Perriman also went

In my home league I got him at 1.14. I tried to move up in the draft or add extra picks for him but he dropped to me anyways. This was pre-NFL draft and was very happy with how it worked out .

Breshad Perriman, Maxx Williams could start for Baltimore Ravens

Excerpt:

Why Maxx Williams could start: Williams' role in the Ravens' offense should come with an asterisk. It all depends on the health of tight end Dennis Pitta. If Pitta can't play this season or is limited because of issues with his hip, Williams becomes a bigger factor in Baltimore's passing attack. The Ravens traded up in the second round in order to get Williams, the draft's best insurance policy at tight end. Beyond Pitta, the only experienced tight end on the roster isCrockett Gillmore, who had 10 catches as a rookie last season. It was essential for the Ravens to get a dependable pass-catching tight end like Williams. Even if Pitta does play at some point this season, there will be a role for Williams. He is a rising playmaker who can stretch the field more than any other Baltimore tight end. Last season, 77.7 percent of his receptions at Minnesota (28 of 36) resulted in a first down or a touchdown. Williams led all college tight ends with nine catches of 25 yards or more. The Ravens have relied on second-round picks to make an impact immediately in recent years. Since 2011, three second-rounders (wide receiver Torrey Smith, outside linebacker Courtney Upshaw and offensive lineman Kelechi Osemele) started eight-plus games as rookies. There's a chance Williams will add his name to that list in 2015.

Rotoworld:

Ravens second-round pick Maxx Williams "didn't get off to the fastest start" at spring practices.

Williams admitted to struggling to digest OC Marc Trestman's playbook, and the Baltimore Sun is projecting Crockett Gillmore as the Ravens' Week 1 starter at tight end. The Sun writes the Ravens "might need to temper expectations" for Williams in his first year. Fantasy owners should heed this advice.

Source: Baltimore Sun

Jul 28 - 7:54 PM

Rotoworld:

Rookie TE Maxx Williams caught two passes for 36 yards in the Ravens' preseason opener against the Saints.

We noticed Williams on the field playing deep into the fourth quarter, which isn't a great sign for his chances of overtaking Crockett Gillmore anytime soon. Williams was the 55th overall pick in May's draft.

Aug 13 - 10:51 PM

Mac looked Jimmy Graham-esque on a huge 4th & long play on the last drive to greatly help the Tavens win. He basically high stepped over two Saints DBs on the way to just getting past the mark. Looked good.

Rotoworld:

Ravens rookie TE Maxx Williams will not play in the team's third preseason game.

Williams has been practicing all week in a non-contact jersey with an undisclosed injury. Sitting out hurts Williams' chances of opening as a consistent contributor, but he could grow into a big role as the season progresses.

Source: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter

Aug 29 - 7:01 PM

Rotoworld:

Maxx Williams - TE - Ravens

ESPN Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley said rookie TE Maxx Williams has no chance to start Week 1.

He should get some snaps, but he is well behind Crockett Gillmore on the depth chart. Rookie tight ends always struggle to make a fantasy impact, especially rookie tight ends who are on the bench. Williams could grow into a role as the season wears on, but for now he is not useful in fantasy.

Source: ESPN

Sep 3 - 8:23 AM

Mac looked Jimmy Graham-esque on a huge 4th & long play on the last drive to greatly help the Tavens win. He basically high stepped over two Saints DBs on the way to just getting past the mark. Looked good.
Was it Gilmore that trucked those two guys into the end zone and the play got called back on penalty? That one was definitely Gronk-like.

So your saying he looks like baby Gronk

Was it Gilmore that trucked those two guys into the end zone and the play got called back on penalty? That one was definitely Gronk-like.
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Crockett-Gillmore-Calls-Tackler-A-Mosquito/d1578aa0-49c8-4016-86e7-e3eb308dc778

Any recent thoughts on Williams? Worth hanging onto as a 2nd TE in a dynasty league? Seems like the buzz has died down.

I think he just turned 21 years old. In a Trestman offense with Flacco at QB. Too early to give up on him in dynasty.

Rotoworld:

Maxx Williams secured 3-of-7 targets for 44 yards in the Ravens' Week 3 loss to Cincinnati.

Williams took on an increased role with Crockett Gillmore (calf) missing over half the game. A second-round pick out of Minnesota, Williams played over 50 percent of the Ravens' Week 3 snaps and would at least be worth low-end TE1 consideration on Thursday night if Gillmore is inactive against Pittsburgh.

Sep 29 - 11:14 AM

It's hard not to like Williams tomorrow night with Gillmore ruled out purely based on likely volume.

Gillmore injured himself late in the 2nd last week after accumulating 41% of the team's offensive snaps and 3 targets. Six of Williams's 7 targets came after Gillmore's injury and he ended up playing on 51% of the team's offensive snaps when all was said and done. In week 1 Gillmore played on 95% of BAL's offensive snaps, 93% in week 2.

PIT is technically a plus match-up but that has a lot to do with Gronk going off on them week 1. Vernon Davis finished with a 5/62/0 stat line on 7 targets in week 2 and the STL TE Cook/Kendricks didn't do much with their 8 targets (3/19/0) in week 3. Still, Williams looks to be the defacto 2nd option in this offense, in line to essentially play on all snaps and see 6-8 targets.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard not to like Williams tomorrow night with Gillmore ruled out purely based on likely volume.

Gillmore injured himself late in the 2nd last week after accumulating 41% of the team's offensive snaps and 3 targets. Six of Williams's 7 targets came after Gillmore's injury and he ended up playing on 51% of the team's offensive snaps when all was said and done. In week 1 Gillmore played on 95% of BAL's offensive snaps, 93% in week 2.

PIT is technically a plus match-up but that has a lot to do with Gronk going off on them week 1. Vernon Davis finished with a 5/62/0 stat line on 7 targets in week 2 and the STL TE Cook/Kendricks didn't do much with their 8 targets (3/19/0) in week 3. Still, Williams looks to be the defacto 2nd option in this offense, in line to essentially play on all snaps and see 6-8 targets.
Targets for Ravens TE's this year: 6, 7, and 10 (Maxx had 7 last week).

I think he's a high end TE2 with a small chance for big week.

I'm in. Goodbye Ertz.

And I hope I never need Mad Maxx after this week (Gronk), but I hope he makes the most of it.

While this is true, Kendricks dropped a long gainer that hit him in the numbers in that game. He was in the seam, had beat the defenders, and it would have been a big gainer (30+ yards, I think), and he might have scored, but he just let it clank off his chest.

I took Maxx in the late second round of my rookie draft, expecting to wait patiently all season. Well, it's Thursday Night Football, he's no longer stuck in a committee role. I'm impatient. I'm rolling him...let's go!

Sorry if my post swayed anyone, it seemed pretty plausible but was was clearly misguided in some way or another. I was already prepared to take a loss with Gronk, Lewis and Wright on a bye but this essentially sealed early for me. Can't win them all. :shrug:

Tight End is a position that historically takes a player 2-4 years to get up to speed for playing at a consistent NFL calibre level of contribution.

Tight End is a position that historically takes a player 2-4 years to get up to speed for playing at a consistent NFL calibre level of contribution.
Yes but the problem is, at least for me personally, is that I remember a rookie TE named Jordan Reed saving my season back in 2013. What he did was almost unprecedented but recency bias and the evolution of the game has me looking a bit closer at rookie TEs than I normally would. I mean, look at WRs nowadays, the "3rd year" receiver rule has essentially become moot. We've seen studs like Evans and OBJ dominate in their first years. I'm not saying mastering the WR and TE position are the same but expecting a rookie TE to catch on a bit quicker than normal in modern football isn't as farfetched as it may have been in the past.

Hit the bricks Maxx. You won't be on my roster much longer...

Disappointing. He had those 2 early catches and thought he could be in for a decent game. At least my opponent got nothing from Antonio Brown, so I'm not feeling too terrible. Get Gates back next week, so Maxx is gone.

Rotoworld:

Maxx Williams caught 5-of-6 targets for 31 yards in the Ravens' Week 15 loss to Kansas City.

The second-round rookie got the start with Crockett Gillmore injured and Nick Boyle suspended. It's nice to see Williams getting a lot of opportunity late in the year, but there's little question his rookie season has been a disappointment. The Ravens will take on the Steelers next.

Dec 20 - 4:49 PM

Ravens.com admits the team's crowded tight end corps will "limit the number of times (Maxx Williams) sees the ball come his way."
One of the youngest players in the league last season, Williams struggled through an uneven year. Williams remains a high-upside stash in Dynasty leagues, but the presence of Ben Watson, Crockett Gillmore and perhaps even Dennis Pitta makes him an unlikely 2016 re-draft contributor.

Source: baltimoreravens.com 
Jun 30 - 6:57 PM

Users who are viewing this thread