What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (1 Viewer)

its the pats so basically be around your qb on sunday at 12:30.

brady was listed questionable for how many weeks?

hopefully gronk plays. as although i've done well without him, I am getting squat from my te position

With the Bucs struggling as much as they are it makes sense to hold Gronk out one more week. They need him healthy down the stretch so rushing him back doesn't make sense when you're 2-0.

RotoWire)Gronkowski (back/forearm) will more than likely sit once again Sunday versus the Buccaneers, Albert Breer of NFL.com reports.

Analysis: While ESPN.com reported earlier Tuesday that Gronkowski's availability for Week 3 was a tossup, the Patriots will presumably exercise caution and hold him out of yet another contest. QB Tom Brady and the passing game have struggled in the early going without the reliable tight end at his disposal, but a healthy Gronkowski for the playoffs is preferable to a hindered body. Nevertheless, Gronkowski's practice participation throughout the week will ultimately forecast his likelihood of taking the field this coming Sunday.

i'd be very surprised if he plays this week. The patriots aren't idiots. They're not gonna bring him back too soon.

Ridiculous groupthink that the Patriots are just so much better than the Bucs that they don't need Gronk. Remember what the Bucs defense did to Drew Brees and the Saints high powered offense. And other than Jimmy Graham, the Bucs stuffed just about all the Saints weapons. And they don't need their stud TE Gronk? The one mismatch on the field they can count on? The Bucs are a few seconds in each game away from being 2-0. This is not a team to look past thinking you can still win with the scrubs.

Boston Globe:

According to a league source, Gronkowski is healthy enough to play, but the Patriots want to get him more practice time before suiting him up in a game. For that reason, the source said, the Patriots are leaning toward keeping Gronkowski out of Sunday’s home game with the Buccaneers.
Assuming this is true, it's good news IMO. I think it suggests that when Gronk returns he'll play his normal role, and there won't be as much wondering about whether to start him.

Boston Globe:

According to a league source, Gronkowski is healthy enough to play, but the Patriots want to get him more practice time before suiting him up in a game. For that reason, the source said, the Patriots are leaning toward keeping Gronkowski out of Sunday’s home game with the Buccaneers.
Assuming this is true, it's good news IMO. I think it suggests that when Gronk returns he'll play his normal role, and there won't be as much wondering about whether to start him.
:goodposting:

I am hoping for all systems go with Gronk week 4 in Atl.

Full link from the quote above.

Boston Globe:

This just doesn't seem to make sense to me. If he's healthy enough to play then why not play him. Forget fantasy for now, but just him being on the field as a pure decoy has to be better for the Pats than Hoomanawanui. Not to mention him just playing in the red zone is a huge boost for a team that is struggling to put up points.

Boston Globe:

This just doesn't seem to make sense to me. If he's healthy enough to play then why not play him. Forget fantasy for now, but just him being on the field as a pure decoy has to be better for the Pats than Hoomanawanui. Not to mention him just playing in the red zone is a huge boost for a team that is struggling to put up points.
I agree. It's good news that they feel he is healthy. He has been practicing for a couple of weeks now, right? Why would he not be ready to play at least some pct of snaps in the game. Sounds kind of weird to me.

Not having Gronk is a huge hit to the gameplan. Too much roster turnover and unreliable hands to think Brady can continue to win games like this. If he's not back on Sunday, despite fully practicing, to me it's a signal that maybe he won't necessarily come back in week 4. What's the litmus test for go/no go? He should have passed it by now. Why are they treating him with kid gloves? Unless there is more to this story...

Boston Globe:

I agree. It's good news that they feel he is healthy. He has been practicing for a couple of weeks now, right? Why would he not be ready to play at least some pct of snaps in the game. Sounds kind of weird to me.
His health. I read a few weeks ago he's not been able to lift this off season and has lost muscle mass. Keeping in mind he just had back surgery and one of the keys to strong recovery is strengthening your core muscles with exercise and that takes some time. Than you also have to assume his overall conditioning needs some work.

They are 2-0, have a winnable game without him. I want Gronk back as badly as anyone but just seems to me they are protecting him because one way to set yourself up for injury is to play while not in proper condition.

I'm in the if it's true it's good news camp. Let him return for a shootout against ATL next Sunday night. Arguably greatest all time TE and the guy who has a good chance to one day run his numbers down. It'll be Gronks 2013 coming out party and I think it's going to be very rewarding to those of us who have been holding onto him. I think he's going to be involved in the game plan than he's ever been, keeping in mind as dominant as he's been the last two years he's only averaged around 7.5 targets a game.

chihawk said:
Modog814 said:
wdcrob said:
Boston Globe:

The way I interpret this (and it is just that, my interpretation) is that they have been using these last couple of weeks to try to get him into shape (specifically football shape). Maybe he's going "thud" this week, and taking some contact. Based on what they have seen, they are encouraged, but are going to give him one more week before they start him up. That's my view.

Of course it is possible that there is other information that we are not privy to, and he has suffered a setback, or something along those lines, but I'm dis-inclined to think that is the case.

Of course it is possible that there is other information that we are not privy to, and he has suffered a setback, or something along those lines, but I'm dis-inclined to think that is the case.
yeah, you're probably right. because Belicheck is such a straight shooter.

Me too. Full pads wouldn't indicate a setback. And the story from the Pats has been accurate through his recovery so far.

When has BB ever used the injury report in a way that would lead one to believe that Gronkowski has suffered a setback? By that, I mean, when has a player been upgraded (to questionable or probable), and then not played? I don't recall it happening. I do know that the Patriots are very tight-lipped about injuries, and they seem to list players as "Q" when they are fine (Brady), but I don't remember him making it appear a player will play, when they actually never had a chance.

All of these reports are speculation, we won't know for sure until he's listed as active or inactive on Sunday.

Rob Gronkowski (back) says he's progressed "big time" and "significantly since last week."
The Patriots and Gronkowski have been pretty mum on the tight end's recovery from back surgery, so we've resorted to posting little quotes here and there. New England gives nothing away to the media. ESPN's Ed Werder reported Tuesday that Gronkowski was 50-50 to play this week, while Profootballtalk put the odds closer to 25-75. Nobody truly knows. We're looking at a weekend decision.

@jeffphowe
Will Gronkowski play this week? A teammate told me it would be a "surprise," and "news to me."

@jeffphowe

Will Gronkowski play this week? A teammate told me it would be a "surprise," and "news to me."
Dont trust anybody in that organization to shoot straight. They are all BB disciples. Thats not a criticism. Why tip your hand? He's dressed, they are fortunate to be 2-0 against dregs, I say Gronk is playing.

Im hoping he plays this week, moreso because my RBs are banged up (Rice and Lacy) than not having help at TE (Cameron).
Cool. What's your opponent's starting lineup look like?
Currently my opponent's starting lineup is Russell Wilson, Colston James Jones, Golden Tate, Foster, Reggie Bush, Sproles, Rudolph, Blair Walsh, Leodis McKelvin, Geno Atkins, Lavonte David.

YWIA.

This is exactly why I would have some optimism. When it comes to BB and the pats, I think actions speak way louder that words, and the fact that he's in full padded practices is really encouraging. Even if every player and coach in that locker room knew Gronk was going to play this week, there is no way in the world they'd come out and say it until just before kick off on Sunday

Id rather he plays this weeks, but the Pats fool everyone just to see how much he is out there. I will feel much more confident rolling him out there week 4 then.

I am hoping that JPP's time frame is a good benchmark for Gronk's return. I realize every surgery is different and every person heals differently, but it is something to compare too.

JPP had surgery around June 4th and Gronk had surgery on June 18th. Difference of about two weeks.

JPP played 51 of 79 snaps in Week 1 (September 8th). 14 days difference puts Gronk returning on September 22nd. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread