What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (2 Viewers)

decided to go with pitta over gronk this week. last week i played gronk over pitta and lost my matchup because of it. figure whichever way i choose that may happen again. gotta love fantasy football.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically, with Brissett starting, if you have a viable option, Gronk should be benched.  If not, gotta go Gronk.  For instance, as a flex option, I'm choosing Gronk over Ginn.

He stayed in to block on 11 pass plays and was targeted only twice.  All in a game the Pats were losing.  Bennett goes 5 of 6 for 109.  I'm concerned...

He stayed in to block on 11 pass plays and was targeted only twice.  All in a game the Pats were losing.  Bennett goes 5 of 6 for 109.  I'm concerned...
Patriots QBs not named Brady aren't going to read defenses as quickly, so they need more time, hence Gronk staying in to block more the last two weeks.  I think that will change next week.  I do think Bennett will snag some of Gronk's targets, so his numbers might not be as all-world on a PPG basis this year, but he'll still be great, assuming he's healthy.

So, this is the week right?

Patriots QBs not named Brady aren't going to read defenses as quickly, so they need more time, hence Gronk staying in to block more the last two weeks.  I think that will change next week.  I do think Bennett will snag some of Gronk's targets, so his numbers might not be as all-world on a PPG basis this year, but he'll still be great, assuming he's healthy.
All depends on his health. 

True.  And the Patriots are showing that they do not need their studs to win a lot of games, so they can take their time getting him up to speed until he is 100% as opposed to rushing him back.  For the Patriots, the end goal is winning the Super Bowl, and they are a virtual lock for a division title and a top 3 seed already. 

Does Brady back = less blocking for Gronk?  I'm assuming Gronk's blocking was mostly 2 things--easing back from injury and rookie QB needing more time/security.  What's the word in NE...is Gronk fully healthy? Will we see the Pats of old?

Does Brady back = less blocking for Gronk?  I'm assuming Gronk's blocking was mostly 2 things--easing back from injury and rookie QB needing more time/security.  What's the word in NE...is Gronk fully healthy? Will we see the Pats of old?
The last question first. Yes, eventually. But I would guess not right out of the gate.

Gronk was blocking because he couldn't run that well and they needed blocking help. Over the next few weeks, he should start getting more real targets and look like himself. To answer the question, no he is not close to 100% yet. He should do better than one catch, but I think we might be a few weeks from seeing the 8 receptions on 10 targets with 140 yards and 2 TD Gronk.

Gronk owners should be concerned that the Pats rush him back, as lingering or re-injured hamstring injuries can take forever to get better if not fully healed up in the first place. Hopefully taking it slow will get him back to 100% for the middle to end of the season. 

Gronk owners should be concerned that the Pats rush him back, as lingering or re-injured hamstring injuries can take forever to get better if not fully healed up in the first place. Hopefully taking it slow will get him back to 100% for the middle to end of the season. 
We look at this situation from the fantasy lens obviously but this is right.  The Pats have no need to rush him back since it is a long season and there is risk of reinjury.  I see him being slowly eased in (which will mean that he won't be putting up the Gronk type numbers we drafted him early for) and then once the bye is done midseason they will start to increase his activity so he is peaking for the end of the season and into the playoffs.  I just don't see them saying "well Brady is back now so let's turn him loose."  It's going to take time and unfortunately for those of us with Gronk on our teams we are going to have to suffer through that reality.  I am expecting them to roll Cleveland this week so that he won't need to play much, if at all, in the second half.  In other words, likely another wasted week of using him. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Anarchy.  I've trusted you Pats intel for years :thumbup:
LOL. I know folks travelling with the Pats team flight to Cleveland this week and going to a party with Brady and Giselle. I would set the over/under on the number of times she is asked if Brady's balls are deflated at 47.5.

Is anybody trying to trade for Gronk?  If so, what are you offering up knowing that most people drafted him in round 1 or early round 2.

The last question first. Yes, eventually. But I would guess not right out of the gate.

Gronk was blocking because he couldn't run that well and they needed blocking help. Over the next few weeks, he should start getting more real targets and look like himself. To answer the question, no he is not close to 100% yet. He should do better than one catch, but I think we might be a few weeks from seeing the 8 receptions on 10 targets with 140 yards and 2 TD Gronk.

Great info. Thank you. 

Well, we kinda knew this...question is, does it affect you starting Gronk if you have a viable other option (such as Rudolph or Ebron)???

A source tells NFL Network's Mike Garofolo that Rob Gronkowski (hamstring) is "not right," and that his injury has "not come along like they thought it would."
Garofolo described his source as someone "semi-connected" to Gronk who could not believe how little attention the All-Pro tight end's injury was getting. Gronk's lack of production — one catch in two games — certainly lends credence to the notion that he's still far from 100 percent, but Gronk's playing time did spike in Week 4, even though he ran routes on only 13 of his 41 snaps. It's been hard to gauge Gronk's game with Jacoby Brissett under center. Tom Brady's return for Sunday's game against the Browns makes Week 5 our first real Gronk appearance of the season. This will be the game to judge him on.

I was offered OBJ for Gronk.  We get 1ppr for WR and 1.5ppr for TE and I have Graham so don't really need Gronk.
I mean it's easy to make the argument for OBJ and Gronk, I personally wouldn't do it - at best it's lateral and more likely just bad for you. But suggesting that you're fine with Graham is hilarious.

I mean it's easy to make the argument for OBJ and Gronk, I personally wouldn't do it - at best it's lateral and more likely just bad for you. But suggesting that you're fine with Graham is hilarious.
By "fine with Graham" I mean with the upgrade I'd be getting at WR.  I'm by no means comparing having Graham to be close to on par with having Gronk.

Hu-Tang Clan said:
By "fine with Graham" I mean with the upgrade I'd be getting at WR.  I'm by no means comparing having Graham to be close to on par with having Gronk.
With Graham doing well so far in Seattle, I'd do the deal if you need WR help

loonzilla said:
A source tells NFL Network's Mike Garofolo that Rob Gronkowski (hamstring) is "not right," and that his injury has "not come along like they thought it would."
Garofolo described his source as someone "semi-connected" to Gronk who could not believe how little attention the All-Pro tight end's injury was getting. Gronk's lack of production — one catch in two games — certainly lends credence to the notion that he's still far from 100 percent, but Gronk's playing time did spike in Week 4, even though he ran routes on only 13 of his 41 snaps. It's been hard to gauge Gronk's game with Jacoby Brissett under center. Tom Brady's return for Sunday's game against the Browns makes Week 5 our first real Gronk appearance of the season. This will be the game to judge him on.
That's a new one.

I was offered OBJ for Gronk.  We get 1ppr for WR and 1.5ppr for TE and I have Graham so don't really need Gronk.
I needed an upgrade at WR so I actually offered Gronk for OBJ last night in a non-PPR league.  Other owner accepted.  Essentially traded one headache for another but at least I know my headache will suit up and play all the snaps this week.  Who knows when that happens for Gronk.  Plus I was able to do another deal after to get Eifert as a replacement at TE. 

If you're 4-0 or 3-1 would you be trying to acquire Gronk? I have Graham and Eifert and considering offering one and like Cobb or Fuller for him.  Thoughts? PPR

If you're 4-0 or 3-1 would you be trying to acquire Gronk? I have Graham and Eifert and considering offering one and like Cobb or Fuller for him.  Thoughts? PPR
If you have a viable TE option to wait the situation out and your WR depth allows you to part with Cobb or Fuller go for it.  I was stuck with Jesse James with not much left on the wire so I had to move Gronk.  If I had another TE that was startable each week like you and had 3 or 4 wins banked I would have held onto Gronk to see how the situation played out.  

Users who are viewing this thread