What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Robert Tonyan, CHI (1 Viewer)

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters
Here is a take form Aaron Jones: Tonyan could easily lead Packers in receptions

I will eat my hat if Robert Tonyan leads them in receptions. Strike that....I'll cut up every ballcap I have, boil them in broth, and eat it.

Two games in four years with 7 targets, career high for a season is 59 targets. I know it was just a throwaway comment from a player but that reporter is trash for putting it out like it's news.

But hey, probably gonna catch TDs - being in that Rodgers circle of trust is always a good thing.

Spectacular bargain bin find.

I agree. I think he's going to have a career year. He always jumped off the screen to me. With all those targets up for grab, Tonyan gonna make a nice living for himself this year. While everyone is chasing for the next Green Bay WR, Tonyan is flying quietly under the radar going so far as being UNDRAFTED in some leagues.

Am I reading this correctly? Tonyan caught 11 TOUCHDOWNS in 2020? That's more than enough upside for me right there if you're looking for a streaming option.

Presumably most people realize TDs are the least sticky receiving stat and variable year over year.

Tonyan runs around 21 routes per game (that's generally outside TE1 territory) and his target % last year was 17.4. That's a good 5-8% below any startable TE, exception being Dawson Knox - another TD dependent TE. Not a good case to be made from his utilization.

In his two seasons as a starter his snap counts are around 38-40 per game (61% and 60%.) That's because he's just about the worst blocking TE in the NFL. His run blocking grade was 50.4 and his pass blocking was 15.4. Just about every starteable FF TE1 has a snap count over 75% (Mark Andrews is usually low 60s, I believe he's the lone exception.)

Less snaps generally translates to fewer snaps. Fewer snaps generally mens fewer targets. Fewer Targets....you get the idea.

You could try him and see if lightning strikes twice, but he TDs are really the only path. It's an edge case. Could happen, but in the range of outcomes it's not likely.

I read somewhere before the season started that a couple days in the last week of training camp Aaron Jones and Tonyan were working with the recevers coach on running WR routes. Was enough for me to take a flyer on him as my second TE

Presumably most people realize TDs are the least sticky receiving stat and variable year over year.

Tonyan runs around 21 routes per game (that's generally outside TE1 territory) and his target % last year was 17.4. That's a good 5-8% below any startable TE, exception being Dawson Knox - another TD dependent TE. Not a good case to be made from his utilization.

In his two seasons as a starter his snap counts are around 38-40 per game (61% and 60%.) That's because he's just about the worst blocking TE in the NFL. His run blocking grade was 50.4 and his pass blocking was 15.4. Just about every starteable FF TE1 has a snap count over 75% (Mark Andrews is usually low 60s, I believe he's the lone exception.)

Less snaps generally translates to fewer snaps. Fewer snaps generally mens fewer targets. Fewer Targets....you get the idea.

You could try him and see if lightning strikes twice, but he TDs are really the only path. It's an edge case. Could happen, but in the range of outcomes it's not likely.

I agree with tempering expectations.
However, last year is a very hard one to judge Tonyan on. His route percentage down seemed to stem from their lack of trust in the Oline (now, that may be a factor early as long as Bakhtiari and Jenkins are returning from their injuries). He was kept in more to block last year than before.

Fast forward to now...Adams and all those targets are gone. Even with Bakhtiairi and Jenkins still up in the air, IMO, they have a bit more confidence in the line than last year as the guys replacing them played a bit last year vs how they are going in now. I don't think he will be kept in to block as much and I think those guys will return sooner rather than later (Jenkins possibly even already Sunday).
Rodgers has talked a lot about trust and earning that with the young players. Tonyan has that trust from him...I could see him put up career numbers as far as receptions and yards this year, but yeah, hard to predict the TD numbers from 2020. Both with TDs being that unpredictable and the offense was crazy efficient in the redzone that year.

I agree with tempering expectations.
However, last year is a very hard one to judge Tonyan on. His route percentage down seemed to stem from their lack of trust in the Oline (now, that may be a factor early as long as Bakhtiari and Jenkins are returning from their injuries). He was kept in more to block last year than before.

Fast forward to now...Adams and all those targets are gone. Even with Bakhtiairi and Jenkins still up in the air, IMO, they have a bit more confidence in the line than last year as the guys replacing them played a bit last year vs how they are going in now. I don't think he will be kept in to block as much and I think those guys will return sooner rather than later (Jenkins possibly even already Sunday).
Rodgers has talked a lot about trust and earning that with the young players. Tonyan has that trust from him...I could see him put up career numbers as far as receptions and yards this year, but yeah, hard to predict the TD numbers from 2020. Both with TDs being that unpredictable and the offense was crazy efficient in the redzone that year.

You make some good points. I like him as a football player.

His production doesn't meet the criteria of every Top 5 TE from the last 20 years (without exception): you have get to 90 targets or score 10+ TDs. There have been zero exceptions to those thresholds. Not both, but either one, it's a possible Top 5. Breakdown:

Top 5 Tight Ends, 2003-2021 (19 consecutive years, 95 top 5 TE)
  • Under 90 Targets, Under 10 TDs - zero Top 5 TEs
  • Over 90 Targets, Under 10 TDs - 72 top 5 TEs
    (it's important to realize 90 targets makes it possible, but lots of 90 target TEs didn't get there)

• Under 90 Targets, Over 10 TDs - 5 top 5 TEs
    (a rare but not impossible route to Top 5, and also the hardest to predict)

• Over 90 Targets, Over 10 TDs - 18 top

WRT the bolded, I would challenge anyone who says his routes/utilization changed from the prior year.

• Targets - 3.7 /g in 2020, 3.6 /g in 2021
  • Target Share - 11.8% (14.5% RZ) 2020, 11.6% (10.9%)
  • Target Rate - 18.0% 2020, 17.9 2021
  • Snap Share - 61.2%, 60.7%
  • Slot Snaps - 136 (22.4%), 77 (25.9%)
  • Routes Run - 328 (20.4 /g), 162 (20.3 /g)
  • Route Participation - 62.4% 2020, 61.1% 2021
  • Air Yards - 443 (27.7), 265 (33.1)
  • Air Yards Share - 13.3%, 11.5%
  • ADOT - 7.5, 9.1
  • Deep Targets - 8 (0.5), 7 (0.9)
  • Target Quality Rating - 6.21 (#3), 4.98 (n/r)
  • Catchable Target Rate - 89.8% (53 of 59) #2, 72.4% (21 of 29), n/r
  • Fantasy PPG - 11.8 /g TE5 2020, 6.3 /g TE32 2021
That's 14 different metrics. To me 2020 was the outlier anomaly. He was basically the same guy last year (in 8 games) he was the year before.

2020 was the year Robert Tonyan caught 3 TDs in a Week 4 vs ATL on MNF. How did a guy that had 4 TDs in his first 32 NFL games do something that insane? Crazy Covid year with no fans, BOTH Falcons starting Safeties were out of the game (along with a starting CB), and Davante Adams and Alan Lazard both missed the game due to injury. May not be repeatable.

Could he be a totally different TE than he showed in his first 4 years? If you think so, draft him (or pick him off waivers.) Could Tonyan's role and market share change this year? Yes.

Could it trend up by 50% (targets)? Probably not. Will score 10 TDs? I have no idea, but that is the bet you are making.

You want to draft him to be TE10-12, he's probably a winner. Then we're just talking resource allocation, e.g, how much draft capital you are willing to part with to have a player who will outperform half or more of your FF league.

I'm not targeting guys who are virtually guaranteed to be the bottom quartile of my FF league's starters.

Oh I agree...I don't think he is a top 5 TE.

Yeah, he’s a good football player. Can’t block but I like his ability to get open and he’s in the AR circle of trust - which is huge.

I have been preaching that the 90 targets/10 TDs mantra for over a year. It’s not a Tonyan thing. I’m just trying to help people develop a methodology for picking a TE who will give you an advantage.

If you like outscoring your league mates, find a TE who will pass one of those metrics. One of those two things is predictable.

You don’t care if you compete at the TE position, start someone who won’t accomplish either of those things.

(there are other metrics wrt to alignment & utilization but that’s a baseline prerequisite.)

It’s expensive drafting those 90 target guys so the trick is finding players who are trending toward the minimum utilization, don’t stay in to block more than 12% of the time, run 25-30+ routes per game, line up in the slot or outside often (30-60%), and the next BIGGEST one, will be a Top 2 target on his own team.

What drives me batty is folks saying “I drafted this guy who has upside.”

You look and he’s in his 4th/6th year and will be 3rd/4th in his team in targets, stays in to block 18% of the time, runs 22 routes a game and gets targets once every six routes, and all those things were true about him for several seasons.

5-6 red flags but that’s the guy. Hope he get 8-10 TDs, so GL with that.

Yeah, he’s a good football player. Can’t block but I like his ability to get open and he’s in the AR circle of trust - which is huge.

I have been preaching that the 90 targets/10 TDs mantra for over a year. It’s not a Tonyan thing. I’m just trying to help people develop a methodology for picking a TE who will give you an advantage.

If you like outscoring your league mates, find a TE who will pass one of those metrics. One of those two things is predictable.

You don’t care if you compete at the TE position, start someone who won’t accomplish either of those things.

(there are other metrics wrt to alignment & utilization but that’s a baseline prerequisite.)

It’s expensive drafting those 90 target guys so the trick is finding players who are trending toward the minimum utilization, don’t stay in to block more than 12% of the time, run 25-30+ routes per game, line up in the slot or outside often (30-60%), and the next BIGGEST one, will be a Top 2 target on his own team.

You look and he’s in his 4th/6th year and will be 3rd/4th in his team in targets, stays in to block 18% of the time, runs 22 routes a game and gets targets once every six routes, and all those things were true about him for several seasons.

What TE’s outside of the top 3ish fit this mold? I Irv and Everett and Albert O and am trying to not carry 3 different dudes at this position.

Bobby i agree with everything you're saying except for two things. One, his snap percentage and routes run are not predictable.

Second, I usually care where a tight end ranks in terms of targets on his team. But that's because there's usually a wr who gets 100 plus targeta. I don't know if we'll have that. We know that Rodgers is good and Jones and Dillon can catch. We've seen some flashes from lazard. There's some rookie talent and Watkins. None of them is a lock for 100 targets. Rodgers will throw enough passes that, in theory, 4 guys could get 90 targets.

Extrapolating from his full season metrics as a first time starter in 2020 and an injury season in 21 is helpful but not the end-all be-all. They had a target hog in Adams. If you want to extrapolate from games tonyan started and adams didn't play, he caught 11 passes and 4 touchdowns. In two games. Weeks 3 and 4 of 2020.

I am not looking at Tonyan as a clear top 5 guy but I'm happy to start him in daily and I've gotten him cheap in some leagues because there's a big pie and very few players have staked a claim to their piece. Volatility is your friend in those situations.

I think you're right overall that he might not be a different player this year, but Dalton Schultz wasn't a different player last year... he just moved up the target list by default.

Great discussion here, top notch breakdowns.

I've warmed a bit to Tonyan, at least as a solid #2 type TE. His targets have to go up a little I'd think with no alpha WR and he's shown he can score. Be interesting to see how AR distributes this season.

What TE’s outside of the top 3ish fit this mold? I Irv and Everett and Albert O and am trying to not carry 3 different dudes at this position.

Who is your Big 3? Kelce, Andrews, Pitts?
  • Waller (if you think Renfrow will be third in targets)
  • Kittle
not quite as much upside:
  • Schultz
  • Hockenson
  • Ertz (absolutely no YAC)
Goedert is borderline - market share, blocks a lot, doesn’t lineup outside as much

/list

ETA

Kmet

I drafted him :lol:

Last edited:
Davante Adams first two seasons

60 targets 38/446/3
94 targets 50/493/1

What changed? Obviously Adams developed into an exceptional player. But also, Jordy was on the team when Adams was a rookie, and Cobb and James Jones led the way in Adams' sophomore season. Year 3

121 targets 75/997/12

That's not a fair comparison though because davante was an incredible athlete who broke out in year 3. Let's look at another guy

54/33/366/2
31/22/320/2
64/45/582/2

That's Jordy Nelson when Donald Driver and Greg Jennings were the target hogs his first 3 years. Year 4:

96/68/1263/15

I'm not going to write off Tonyan's 59/51/586/11 as a fluke. I'm not going to expect a repeat. I'm looking for high quality dart throws and i know that Rodgers can turn a player's numbers around in a heartbeat if he looks their way. That could be one of the rookies, it could be Lazard, it could be Watkins, but i would most expect it to end up being spread out around the team. And in that scenario, Tonyan could be one of the recipients of the volume we're looking for

I always find it funny when people put down the idea that a “sleeper” will produce higher than expected. This really has nothing to do with Tonyan but every year the rankings get jumbled up. Identifying guys who “could” greatly out produce their ADP is how you win in this hobby. There are a lot of positives for Tonyan, but there also a lot of negatives (common amongst the “sleeper” group). The positives are enough to potentially have some upward surprise and have us looking back and wondering why we didn’t take a shot on him. Lack of established receiving targets, HOF QB, previous production with AR, 2020 9/16 games with a TD, a three TD game to his belt…). Seems like a great late target.

As I wrote that I had in mind guys who will be Top 2 on their team, more than 90 targets.

Few others you could take a stab it & hope it’s their year to hit 8-11 TDs - Tonyan, Henry, Dawson, your guy who I didn’t mention.

This discussion applies to Tight Ends

That includes wide receivers like Pitts (singular case) who downs more time in the slot or outside than next to a tackle.

WR targets are another animal and N/A from my perspective, but by all means…

Also, I’m not trying to identify Sleepers. I’m merely laying out data for TEs likely to finish the season in the Top 5 for their position.

For my purposes, Everett, Fant, Higbee, your guy I haven’t mentioned are not finishing Top 5 - unless they morph into something they haven’t been start scoring TDs to by the boatload.

ETA

David Njoku is a superb athlete, but his year 6 breakout will see him become a player he’s never been before. I AN NOT PREDICTING IT. I’m just pointing out that’s the edge case you are projecting when you roster him.

Guess what, though? It happens - Deianie Walker, Logan Thomas.

Walker was a clear candidate to become a new kind of player - we talked about it often here. When he got traded from SF to TEN, whoa. Nobody saw Thomas coming. Few realized ahead of time what Waller could be.

So heck yeah, if you’re roster us big enough, take a flyer on a true upside guy. Doesn’t work out, you’ll probably know by the end of September, move on to the next candidate.

Those breakouts are hard to predict but that’s championship material right there. Waller a couple years ago, Logan Thomas’ breakout, Jordan Reed when healthy, et al.

Last edited:

Robert Tonyan caught 3-of-5 targets for 36 yards in the Packers' Week 1 loss to the Vikings.

The Packers were a mess in Week 1, resulting in low stat lines across the board. Tonyan's five targets were second-most on the team. He didn't appear limited in his first game back from a torn ACL either, making his return to football a modest success. Green Bay lost their top two receivers in the offseason, and their rookies struggled in Week 1. Tonyan will be heavily involved in the passing attack to start the year, putting him in line for a bounce-back in Week 2 against the Bears.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Robert Tonyan caught 3-of-4 targets for 32 yards in the Packers' Week 7 loss to the Commanders.

Tonyan was invisible throughout the game. He caught a 21-yard pass on the final play of the game, as the Packers had to attempt a series of desperation pitch backs with no time left on the clock. When the Commanders were playing normal defense, Tonyan was held to just 11 yards. He'll be a TE2 when the Packers take on the Bills in Week 8.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Robert Tonyan caught 3-of-4 targets for 29 yards in the Packers' Week 9 loss to the Lions.

Tonyan also came up hobbled at one point in the second half but was never announced with an injury. Romeo Doubs (ankle) was injured on the first play of the game, but it somehow didn't translate to more looks for Tonyan, who has now caught more than four passes just three times all year. He's averaging a pathetic 8.3 yards per reception and has scored one touchdown. It seems like Tonyan should be an important part of this offense, but he just isn't other than catching-and-falling three times per week. We say that, but Tonyan could be needed for work in the short-passing game to counteract the Cowboys' ferocious pass rush in Week 10.

- NBCSportsEDGE

The Athletic's Matt Schneidman writes he'd "be surprised" if Robert Tonyan returned to the Packers.​

It's a deep draft for tight ends, and Tonyan hasn't really done much since 2020's 11-touchdown season. He managed just two games over 37 receiving yards last year with just two touchdowns. Tonyan will turn 29 in June. He'll surface on some depth chart, but the days of him being fantasy-relevant are likely over.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Mar 3, 2023, 3:25 PM ET

Bears signed TE Robert Tonyan, formerly of the Packers, to a one-year contract.​

Tonyan profiles as a fantasy non-entity in Chicago behind Cole Kmet, where he'll likely be the No. 2 tight end on usage. It's a nice real-life signing for the Bears, who could get a little edge here or there up front with two tight-end packages. Green Bay will turn to Josiah Deguara as their TE1 assuming Marcedes Lewis follows Aaron Rodgers to New York.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 16, 2023, 6:58 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread