What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Travis Kelce, KC (6 Viewers)

Fasano's absence had no effect on the way Andy Panda used Kelce. He's on my bench from here on out.
And as quickly as he's benched,he's back in with the injury to Dwayne Allen. C'mon Andy,throw the damn ball!

Kansas City Chiefs' offense blossoming under Andy Reid's watch

Excerpt (click on the link to see the video clip):

2) Travis Kelce has emerged as the centerpiece of K.C.'s passing game.The presence of an ultra-athletic tight end has become a vital ingredient for elite offenses in today's NFL. Wily offensive coordinators are using the tight end as the queen on the chessboard, placing him in various spots to create mismatches and dictate coverage on the perimeter. As a former NFL tight ends coach, Reid certainly understands the nuances of the position and how to maximize a talented playmaker in the middle of the field.

In Kansas City, Reid has a budding superstar in Kelce. The second-year pro is averaging 12.8 yards per catch, having notched eight receptions of 20-plus yards this season. Although he's the team's second-leading receiver (just behind Dwayne Bowe in catches and yards), Kelce is unquestionably the focal point of the passing game. The 6-foot-5, 260-pounder is frequently Smith's primary read, and his ability to win between the hashes helps the quarterback string together completions to keep the offense in manageable situations. Kelce's combination of size, athleticism and ball skills makes him a huge asset on critical downs, particularly in the red zone.

Studying the All-22 Coaches Film on the Chiefs' offense, I was impressed with the way Kelce has been featured in the play-action passing game. Reid routinely sends his young tight end on vertical routes off play action, which allows him to sneak past linebackers lured to the line of scrimmage. This creates explosive plays for the Chiefs on high-percentage passes.

In our final play depiction just below, the Chiefs are aligned in an ace formation with Kelce positioned on the left side of the line. Reid has called a play-action pass with a flood concept on the perimeter. Kelce will run a sail route designed to exploit the void in the Seahawks' three-deep zone. On the route, Kelce makes a hard fake to the post before breaking to the corner away from the linebackers. With the run fake drawing Seattle's linebackers closer to the line of a scrimmage, Kelce slips into the open area for an easy 23-yard gain (TO VIEW THE PLAY, SCROLL LEFT TO RIGHT ON THE IMAGE BELOW):

The Chiefs rank near the bottom of the NFL in passing yards, but the team's aerial approach perfectly complements a blue-collar running game. With Kelce striking fear in opponents as a playmaker in the middle of the field, the Chiefs have just enough balance to move the ball consistently on elite defenses.

Last edited by a moderator:

2) Travis Kelce has emerged as the centerpiece of K.C.'s passing game.The presence of an ultra-athletic tight end has become a vital ingredient for elite offenses in today's NFL. Wily offensive coordinators are using the tight end as the queen on the chessboard, placing him in various spots to create mismatches and dictate coverage on the perimeter. As a former NFL tight ends coach, Reid certainly understands the nuances of the position and how to maximize a talented playmaker in the middle of the field.

In Kansas City, Reid has a budding superstar in Kelce. The second-year pro is averaging 12.8 yards per catch, having notched eight receptions of 20-plus yards this season. Although he's the team's second-leading receiver (just behind Dwayne Bowe in catches and yards), Kelce is unquestionably the focal point of the passing game. The 6-foot-5, 260-pounder is frequently Smith's primary read, and his ability to win between the hashes helps the quarterback string together completions to keep the offense in manageable situations. Kelce's combination of size, athleticism and ball skills makes him a huge asset on critical downs, particularly in the red zone.

Studying the All-22 Coaches Film on the Chiefs' offense, I was impressed with the way Kelce has been featured in the play-action passing game. Reid routinely sends his young tight end on vertical routes off play action, which allows him to sneak past linebackers lured to the line of scrimmage. This creates explosive plays for the Chiefs on high-percentage passes.

In our final play depiction just below, the Chiefs are aligned in an ace formation with Kelce positioned on the left side of the line. Reid has called a play-action pass with a flood concept on the perimeter. Kelce will run a sail route designed to exploit the void in the Seahawks' three-deep zone. On the route, Kelce makes a hard fake to the post before breaking to the corner away from the linebackers. With the run fake drawing Seattle's linebackers closer to the line of a scrimmage, Kelce slips into the open area for an easy 23-yard gain (TO VIEW THE PLAY, SCROLL LEFT TO RIGHT ON THE IMAGE BELOW):

The Chiefs rank near the bottom of the NFL in passing yards, but the team's aerial approach perfectly complements a blue-collar running game. With Kelce striking fear in opponents as a playmaker in the middle of the field, the Chiefs have just enough balance to move the ball consistently on elite defenses.
Basically all of the above means that Kelce is a vaunted decoy. I don't know how else anyone could explain the complete lack of production. Put this guy on a team with a real QB, and you would have Gronk version 2.0

Basically all of the above means that Kelce is a vaunted decoy. I don't know how else anyone could explain the complete lack of production. Put this guy on a team with a real QB, and you would have Gronk version 2.0
Everyone thought after that NE game that this guy was going to be a beast the rest of the season. For some strange reason, they don't go to him enough. And it's not like they have other great WRs or anything. It really makes no sense.

Says a lot about the Chiefs' passing game that the "centerpiece" of their passing attack has only topped 5 targets in a game three times the whole year and only once in the last six.

So brutal to have this kind of talent hamstrung by Alex Smiths' lack of ability.
Reid's not helping this. One would think a TE would be a top target for a weak-armed QB like Smith - especially a TE with game-breaking ability. Absolutely and completely baffling how badly Kelce's been misused this season. I can see easing him into things early in the year but it's Week 12 now and he's clearly demonstrated that he's the only big-time threat on offense after Charles. I can't figure out why he's not getting 8-10 targets consistently every game.

So brutal to have this kind of talent hamstrung by Alex Smiths' lack of ability.
Reid's not helping this. One would think a TE would be a top target for a weak-armed QB like Smith - especially a TE with game-breaking ability. Absolutely and completely baffling how badly Kelce's been misused this season. I can see easing him into things early in the year but it's Week 12 now and he's clearly demonstrated that he's the only big-time threat on offense after Charles. I can't figure out why he's not getting 8-10 targets consistently every game.
Agreed 100%. It's not like Smith has a great arm. You'd think Kelce would be his best friend on this short routes. We've seen Kelce's ability to run after the catch, so it makes no sense why they don't get him the ball and let him go. Bowe isn't scaring teams.

Agreed 100%. It's not like Smith has a great arm. You'd think Kelce would be his best friend on this short routes. We've seen Kelce's ability to run after the catch, so it makes no sense why they don't get him the ball and let him go. Bowe isn't scaring teams.
It makes a little sense when you consider how much JC is involved in the passing game. As a Kelce owner It's certainly frustrating, though.

As a Kelce owner I've noticed several times this year The Chiefs will run a play action fake to a RB and Kelce will be downfield 30 yards,Smith will take a look but then dump off to the RB,on many of the plays Kelce was open by NFL standards. Smith seems to afraid to make a mistake. It looks like KC is playing it safe,whether by design or because of Smith. They are winning that way,no mistakes,solid defense,run the ball. Same formula Seattle used last year,except when the post season hits Smith is no Wilson and although their D is solid it's not lock down like Seattle's was last year. I forsee a playoff spot forAndy but a "one and done".

The team threw for 100 yards last week. Whether it's Smith or the coaching, that is why Kelce isn't doing anything. It's clear he's the most talented receiver on the team. He gets the most targets, yards, receptions and everything else, but there just aren't enough passes in that offense to make even 1 guy fantasy relevant.

Alex Smith is a game manager and not a passing QB. If they don't have to pass then they won't. Since the NFL is flukey, you never know when the Chiefs are going to get a big lead on a team and then they will abandon the passing game entirely. If you're a Kelce owner, then you need to have the Chiefs losing and for the running game to be held in check.

Charles is on pace for fewer than 40 receptions after catching 70 passes. His involvement in the passing game is way down compared to last season. That makes Kelce's lack of involvement even more baffling because Charles isn't the dominant figure in the passing game like he was last season.

Not to mention frustrating Charles owners too I'm sure. :)

Charles is on pace for fewer than 40 receptions after catching 70 passes. His involvement in the passing game is way down compared to last season. That makes Kelce's lack of involvement even more baffling because Charles isn't the dominant figure in the passing game like he was last season.

Thank god I'm not playing in a single ppr this season.

The thing with Kelce is that unless you have Gronk, Graham, and to a lesser extent lately, Thomas, you are pretty safe just starting Kelce every week b/c it's TE roulette each and every week.

Thank god I'm not playing in a single ppr this season.

The thing with Kelce is that unless you have Gronk, Graham, and to a lesser extent lately, Thomas, you are pretty safe just starting Kelce every week b/c it's TE roulette each and every week.
Yeah he's really only had one game that was totally awful (Week 10) in PPR. Even last week wasn't horrible; it was just way under what was possible given the TE situation for KC and the strong matchup. But he's generally been a safe guy each week if you don't have one of the Elite Three. It's just so frustrating because you see all the talent and know so much more is possible and should be happening.

The Chiefs are 7-3. Must be doing something right... the only guy guarenteed touches is Charles. Probably frustrating to be an owner of Kelce/Bowe/Smith... but its tough to say the play calling has been bad, or the team has been mis-managed.

The Chiefs are 7-3. Must be doing something right... the only guy guarenteed touches is Charles. Probably frustrating to be an owner of Kelce/Bowe/Smith... but its tough to say the play calling has been bad, or the team has been mis-managed.
Defense is playing much better of late and Charles is special. Those are the keys. But watching the games and seeing how good Kelce is, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to be more involved so KC could be even better. That's especially true when you consider he is easily the best receiving option on the team. The Chiefs have two exceptional talents. One of them (Charles) is the foundation of everything they do offensively which is smart. The other (Kelce) often spends his Sundays doing a whole lot of nothing which in my opinion is really dumb regardless of what the record may indicate.

Sitting this week for Fleener. Best of luck.

God forbid Charles gets hurt, but that's about the only way I see Kelce being used more. Because of this I'll continue holding Davis and Kelce. But I won't confidently start him after his low production last week. If he didn't produce then, there's no reason for me to believe he will in any other matchup as-is.

Sitting him as well and going with Fleener with Allen out like another upthread. Love the talent but they just don't throw enough. If he has an enormous game from my bench, so be it, I won't be second guessing the thought process.

I traded Gronk for him straight up after his big game and thinking gronk looked like a gimp out there. Maybe the worst trade Ive ever seen.

Somehow still in first so I guess I'll roll him out there the rest of the way.

I traded Gronk for him straight up after his big game and thinking gronk looked like a gimp out there. Maybe the worst trade Ive ever seen.

Somehow still in first so I guess I'll roll him out there the rest of the way.
Made the same offer to the Gronk owner but got rejected ?!?!?

I thank god everyday since then....

Rolling with Fleener in PPR but have no other choice in standard. Cross your fingers for a TD....hell i'd take 3+ receptions at this point.

Flipping a coin between Kelce/Bennett. I know the logical choice is Bennett but he's been pretty brutal in his own right.

Is Fasano playing? Not that it mattered much last week.

What is the over/under on Smith's yards thrown tonight? I'd guess 160-ish ?

Fasano officially "questionable".

Over/under on Smiths PY's -175.

That would give Kelce 57.5 yds,if he gets a TD,it's worth the start.

Geez 175. So yeah u need about 1/3 of his passing projection going to Kelce WITH a TD to be just a decent night.

I'm passing. Just a gross offense all together, outside of JC.

Geez 175. So yeah u need about 1/3 of his passing projection going to Kelce WITH a TD to be just a decent night.

I'm passing. Just a gross offense all together, outside of JC.
Depends on your other options,I have Allen out more than likely and Mal. Floyd as a potential "flex" option to Kelce. sooooooooooooooooooooooooo

This guys isn't even part of the Chiefs' gameplan anymore. It's mind-boggling. Smith doesn't even look his way. He'd rather throw a fade to Jamal Charles or throw to de'anthony thomas, 2 shrimps, from 5 yards out of the endzone. Didn't even look at kelce.

Did Kelce bang Andy Reid's wife or something??

This guys isn't even part of the Chiefs' gameplan anymore. It's mind-boggling. Smith doesn't even look his way. He'd rather throw a fade to Jamal Charles or throw to de'anthony thomas, 2 shrimps, from 5 yards out of the endzone. Didn't even look at kelce.

Did Kelce bang Andy Reid's wife or something??
It's really that simple. Every week, the "breakout game!" predictions come. They obviously just don't see him as the weapon that we think he is.

Well, the Chiefs are trailing. You would think they might possibly begin to think about considering the idea of potentially getting the ball to Kelce more. Just maybe...

Alex Smith is just too awful to play anyone who's job it is to catch a ball from him. I wouldn't play Megatron with Alex Smith at the helm. He doesn't throw it more then 5 yds down the field. He makes Chad Pennington look like John Elway.

The thing is it's getting worse. A few weeks ago, he was producing. I added Mercedes Lewis this week, I hope he shows me enough to overtake the job

Sweet Jesus Alex smith is putrid. This is the first time I have seen kc this year and he looks horrible.
He really is horrific. His only positive attribute is that he doesn't turn the ball over. But as far as making plays that even a decent QB should make I just dot see it. He gets bailed out by his defense and Jamal Charles constantly. He literally DOES NOT throw the ball further than 5 yards down field.

Alex Smith is just too awful to play anyone who's job it is to catch a ball from him. I wouldn't play Megatron with Alex Smith at the helm. He doesn't throw it more then 5 yds down the field. He makes Chad Pennington look like John Elway.
Pennington's career completion percentage is 66%. Alex Smith goes to bed at night and dreams of being able to dink and dunk like Chad Pennington. Chad Pennington ####s on Alex Smith.

Users who are viewing this thread