What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Teddy Bridgewater and New Concussion Protocol (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
This is going to be interesting. Was there something else beyond this video?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34761662/dolphins-teddy-bridgewater-protocol-hard-hit
The NFL pledged to err on the side of caution when it came to implementing its amended concussion protocol and stayed true to its word Sunday.

Miami Dolphins quarterback Teddy Bridgewater was placed into concussion protocol during their 40-17 loss to the New York Jets, despite passing a locker room examination, after a booth ATC spotter believed Bridgewater stumbled after he was hit on his first snap of the game. The perceived stumble triggered the recently added "ataxia" clause in the league's concussion protocol -- a "no-go" symptom that requires players be taken to the locker room and prohibited from returning to the game under any circumstances.

Video of Bridgewater https://twitter.com/7SportsXtra/status/1579569153006239744?s=20&t=q_eSqvvFKLYTKArwFfbZiA

Was there more to this?

There should be video evidence available for immediate review by the NFL. Otherwise, there will be an opportunity for criticism and other stumblegates. Now, it's just one spotter who can make a judgment call with no video documentation required.

Here's video from another local station, courtesy of reporter - Ruthie Polinski.

The Dolphins won't challenge.

>>McDaniel indicates team won't send video to league in terms of questioning whether Teddy should have been ruled out under new ataxia rule. (In other words, team will not challenge or appeal this decision. They're moving on.)<<

there are 3 spotters in the same booth, all this stuff is discussed before making a decision, and they have between 5-10 angles on every play to review in real time. There is a ton more footage available than what is on the national broadcast
you can slow it down, zoom in, manipulate the video, etc
every injury is tagged and pertinent video uploaded along with a written report by both the field and booth UNC and submitted to the league before you leave the stadium every game

This seems like a **** show already. Does someone in the league review this before a guy is ruled out, or is he just out based on some dudes quick view of the video?

I'll be shocked if a guy like Brady or Allen ever gets removed from a game over a stumble unless it's super obvious.

To add insult to (probably not an) injury, I have no idea how that was called intentional grounding (which resulted in a safety). He was getting hit while he threw.

To add insult to (probably not an) injury, I have no idea how that was called intentional grounding (which resulted in a safety). He was getting hit while he threw.
That was clearly intentional grounding. It was obvious. He was getting hit and threw the ball into the ground where no one was. How was it not grounding?

That was clearly intentional grounding. It was obvious. He was getting hit and threw the ball into the ground where no one was. How was it not grounding?
Yeah, no.

The ball came out funny BECAUSE he was hit while throwing. No way the ref can say where he was going with that. Terrible call.

Yeah, no.

The ball came out funny BECAUSE he was hit while throwing. No way the ref can say where he was going with that. Terrible call.
Yeah and no right back at you. That was absolutely grounding.

There's really no in-between if the league is absolutely serious about mitigating against the worst effects of concussions. They either have to miss a lot of "hideable" concussions that the players can mask and the sideline medical folks (incl independent neuros) can/do miss. Or else they have to treat all borderline calls -- and borderlines to THOSE calls, and maybe some more besides -- as "gotta sit 'em" concussions.

Bridgewater's hook looked a lot like the "looked bad on TV" scheme I was posting about last week. Except that it didn't look so bad on TV, maybe ... but the spotter pushed the button anyway. I guess them's the breaks.

Yeah, no.

Yeah and no right back at you. That was absolutely grounding.
It's clearly not, except to jets fans :P

Seriously though, the ball doesn't get jarred loose as the arm is coming forward? Why isn't it grounding every time a QB gets hit while throwing and it bounces 4 feet in front of him? It's the same thing.
I'll stop derailing the thread.

It's clearly not, except to jets fans
...and the refs and the announcers calling the game and most actually watching the game...

He's getting tackled and he throws the ball away to avoid the sack. Clear and definitive grounding - but maybe if you say it enough the NFL will over-turn it.

Could be valid that he was concussed, I have no idea. I don't the league is sad this new, ambiguous process ended up costing Miami

Yeah, no.

Same exact thing happened to Carr last night. Initially not ruled as grounding, then changed.

Users who are viewing this thread