What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tejada to Houston? (1 Viewer)

790 AM in Houston is reporting that the Astros are close to acquiring Miguel Tejada from the Orioles for Adam Everett, Chris Burke and a pitcher.

MLB.com's sources Tuesday were reporting that the chances of an Astros-Orioles deal had dropped to "zero," so we'll remain skeptical until further confirmation comes along. Dec. 6 - 1:49 pm et

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...349&id=2474
Pitcher would need to be Troy Patten. Astros really have no pitching to deal that anyone would want.

I thought the same thing... this sounds like very little for Miggy.
Well, hes a guy that pretty much needs to move to third, and his stats have nose dived for a couple of years. (Look at his and Ty Wigginton's numbers side by side from last year). Plus, hes already been linked to steroids once and the Mitchell report is due out any day now. In return, the Os get a fantastic defensive SS that cant hit his way out of a wet paper bag, a 2b that probably sucks, but atleast has MLB experience and an unknown pitcher, all while slashing payroll. Doesnt seem too bad to me from their perspective, though if Tejada cant play SS anymore this causes more problems than it fixes for the Stros.

Have zero idea why the Orioles would do that. I think they are going to get 50 cents on the dollar for Miggy. But if you are going to deal him, deal him for prospects that you can control for the next several years.

Miggy has said he wanted out for the past two offseasons.(This would be three) If someone will pick up his entire salary I don't care what we get in return. Actually, I'd rather they take some more of our garbage instead of sending players over.

avoiding injuries said:
Miggy has said he wanted out for the past two offseasons.(This would be three) If someone will pick up his entire salary I don't care what we get in return. Actually, I'd rather they take some more of our garbage instead of sending players over.
I think my point is, why would the Orioles want Adam Everett. I would rather have some propects that don't cost anything, they don't have to be top line ones. The Orioles need to dump his contract.

Tejada is owed a lot of cabbage, isn't he?
2 years, 26 million.....not the worst contract out there
avoiding injuries said:
I think my point is, why would the Orioles want Adam Everett. I would rather have some propects that don't cost anything, they don't have to be top line ones. The Orioles need to dump his contract.
exactly. Everett is not even a year younger than Tejada, and can't hit...at all.

avoiding injuries said:
exactly. Everett is not even a year younger than Tejada, and can't hit...at all.
:goodposting: But now that I know McPhail is calling the shots instead of Angelos, I have a little more faith.

avoiding injuries said:
They'd have to take Everett because that is the only way the Astros do the trade. They're not going to pick up the remainder of Tejada's contract and pay Everett too.I just think that Tejada's trade value is probably really low at this point, so if they wind up getting any prospects or salary relief, I think thats a win for the Orioles.

If I'm the O's I'm looking to move him before the Mitchell report comes out. I know that sounds awful, but I have my doubts about miggy being clean.

Looks like Tejada to the Astros is official. Rotoworld:

According to the Baltimore Sun, the Astros have acquired Miguel Tejada from the Orioles for outfielder Luke Scott, pitchers Matt Albers, Troy Patton and Dennis Sarfate, and third baseman Michael Costanzo.

Dec. 12 - 12:52 pm et

Source: Baltimore Sun

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pl...=227524&id=2474
That is seriously highway robbery if true. No way is Tejada worth 5 players, including the Astros best pitching prospect.

Good deal for Baltimore.
Good deal for Baltimore?What do the 13,000 strong that go see each Oriole game have to look forward to now?Mora - Huff - Gibbons - Payton ???The O's should have agreed to pay Tejada's entire salary and tried to get some real prospects for him.

Can't believe they gave up Albers AND Patton.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 12, 2007CONTACT: Astros Media Relations ASTROS ACQUIRE INFIELDER TEJADA FROM ORIOLESFour-time All-Star joins Houston in exchange for five players HOUSTON – The Houston Astros announced today that the club has acquired infielder Miguel Tejada from the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for right-handed pitcher Matt Albers, third baseman Michael Costanzo, left-handed pitcher Troy Patton, right-handed pitcher Dennis Sarfate and outfielder Luke Scott. The announcement was made by General Manager Ed Wade. “We’ve added a run-producing, All-Star shortstop who will be an absolute force in the middle of our lineup,” said Wade. “With the exception of some time missed in 2007, Miguel has been someone who plays hard for every single inning of every single game. Placing him in our lineup solidifies the offense and gives us a very tough batting order. “We gave up some outstanding players and prospects in this deal, and it hurts. But if you’re going to add a major piece to your club, the price is normally high.” Tejada, 31, hit .296 (152x514) with 18 home runs, 19 doubles and 81 RBI in 133 games for Baltimore in 2007. In 11 Major League seasons, the four-time American League All-Star has hit .287 (1736x6053) with 258 home runs, 337 doubles and 1033 RBI in 1555 career games with Oakland (1997-2003) and Baltimore (2004-07). The two-time Silver Slugger Award winner’s 258 career home runs ranks fourth all-time among players who played primarily at shortstop in their careers, trailing only Alex Rodriguez, Cal Ripken, and Ernie Banks. The 2002 American League Most Valuable Player, Tejada played in all 162 games in six consecutive seasons from 2001-06, and his consecutive games played streak ended at 1,152 on June 22, 2007. He also drove in 100-plus runs in six of seven seasons from 2000-06, with the lone exception being a 98-RBI performance in 2005. In 2006, Tejada hit .330 (214x648) with 24 home runs and 100 RBI. Albers, 24, went 4-11 with a 5.86 ERA (72ER/110.2IP) in 31 appearances (18 starts) for the Astros in 2007. In his 18 starts, the 2006 Texas League Pitcher of the Year posted a 3-11 record with a 5.71 ERA (59/93IP). Albers is 4-13 with a 5.87 ERA (82ER/125.2IP) in 35 games (20 starts) in parts of two Major League seasons with the Astros (2006-07). He was originally selected by the Astros in the June 2001 draft. Costanzo, 24, hit .270 (137x508) with 27 home runs and 86 RBI in 137 games for the Double A Reading Phillies in 2007. The 2007 Eastern League All-Star ranked second in the league in home runs , and he was acquired by Houston from the Philadelphia Phillies on Nov. 7 along with outfielder Michael Bourn and right-handed pitcher Geoff Geary in exchange for right-handed pitcher Brad Lidge and infielder Eric Bruntlett.– MORE – Patton, 22, went 0-2 with a 3.55 ERA (5ER/12.2IP) and eight strikeouts in three appearances (two starts) with Houston in 2007. The Woodlands, Texas native made his Major League debut on August 28 vs. Pittsburgh. In 24 starts between Triple A Round Rock and Double A Corpus Christi in 2007, Patton went a combined 10-8 with a 3.51 ERA (59ER/151.1IP) and 94 strikeouts. He was originally selected by Houston in the June 2004 draft. Sarfate, 26, finished the 2007 season 1-0 with a 1.08 ERA (1ER/8.1IP) and 14 strikeouts in seven appearances with Houston. He did not allow a run in his first 7.1 innings as an Astro. He was acquired by Houston from Milwaukee on September 11 in exchange for cash considerations. Prior to being traded, Sarfate went 2-7 with four saves and a 4.52 ERA (31ER/61.2IP) in 45 games for Triple A Nashville of the Brewers organization. In 15 Major League appearances, he owns a 2.70 ERA (5ER/16.2IP) with 25 strikeouts. Scott, 29, hit .255 (94x369) with 18 home runs and 64 RBI in 132 games for Houston last season. He set career-highs in games, runs (49), hits, doubles (28), home runs, RBI, walks (53) and stolen bases (3) in 2007 and was tied for sixth among NL right fielders in home runs. Scott has hit .273 (181x663) with 28 home runs and 105 RBI in 231 career games over three MLB seasons (2005-07). He was acquired by Houston from Cleveland along with outfielder Willy Taveras in exchange for left-handed pitcher Jeriome Robertson on March 31, 2004.

Good deal for Baltimore.
Good deal for Baltimore?What do the 13,000 strong that go see each Oriole game have to look forward to now?

Mora - Huff - Gibbons - Payton ???

The O's should have agreed to pay Tejada's entire salary and tried to get some real prospects for him.
They still have Brian Roberts. Granted, he is no longer able to obtain HGH from his Anderson/Palmeiro/Tejada connection, but he is still an all star second baseman, fwiw.

Scott is probably the best player they got - but he just truned 29. By the time the O's are doen rebuilding (if ever) Scott will have grandchildren.

Patton is the best prospect they're getting but he doesn't K anyone. How do you think he'll do in the AL East?

Adam Everett is going to be non-tendered tonight. So, if anyone needs a gold glove SS who can't hit, he'll be available. Wonder who plays 3B for the Astros now...

OK, talked to the insiders. Wiggington is the 3B this year barring something unforeseen. Blum and Lorreta getting time there too. No idea who will be pitching.

Lineup (which appears to no longer have 3 automatic outs in it)

Bourn

Kaz

Berkman

Tejada

Lee

Pence

Wigginton

Ausmus

Pitcher

OK, talked to the insiders. Wiggington is the 3B this year barring something unforeseen. Blum and Lorreta getting time there too. No idea who will be pitching.Lineup (which appears to no longer have 3 automatic outs in it)BournKazBerkmanTejadaLeePenceWiggintonAusmusPitcher
Thats actually a heck of a lineup but their pitching is atrocious.

OK, talked to the insiders. Wiggington is the 3B this year barring something unforeseen. Blum and Lorreta getting time there too. No idea who will be pitching.Lineup (which appears to no longer have 3 automatic outs in it)BournKazBerkmanTejadaLeePenceWiggintonAusmusPitcher
My friend is saying Tejada 5th, Lee 4th. Rotation at present:OswaltWandy RodriguezWoody WilliamsBrandon Backe(open) :thumbup:

The 'Stros will quickly learn that Miggy is now more suited to play 3B than SS and that his power is WAY down as his bat speed has declined. A lot of his hits last season were to right, and they were singles to boot. He has warning track power now, even in Camden Yards. It'll be interesting to see how he adjusts to NL pitching since he's been an ALer all his career with the As and Os.

Also, it will be kind of interesting to see who plays SS for the O's next season. I'm sure MacPhail isn't done wheeling & dealing, but I think the only other SS on the roster is a rookie who played some in September but that's it. AI, you know who it is?

Last edited by a moderator:
The 'Stros will quickly learn that Miggy is now more suited to play 3B than SS and that his power is WAY down as his bat speed has declined. A lot of his hits last season were to right, and they were singles to boot. He has warning track power now, even in Camden Yards. It'll be interesting to see how he adjusts to NL pitching since he's been an ALer all his career with the As and Os.

Also, it will be kind of interesting to see who plays SS for the O's next season. I'm sure MacPhail isn't done wheeling & dealing, but I think the only other SS on the roster is a rookie who played some in September but that's it. AI, you know who it is?
Brandon Inge can play short.

Thought JR Towles was going to get the lionshare of the PT with Ausmus as backup.

My friend is saying Tejada 5th, Lee 4th. Rotation at present:OswaltWandy RodriguezWoody WilliamsBrandon Backe(open) :blackdot:
They really need to sign one of the guys on the market. Jennings maybe? Hopefully you could move Williams to the pen. If they've got Roy O, the home Wandy, a healthy Jennings and Backe, and Sampson, I think thats a competitve starting rotation in the NL central. No frontline arms behind Roy, and they'd get slaughtered in the playoffs, but the first step is to get to the playoffs.

Good deal by the O's. Got more prospects then I thought they would.

Tejada became just a name. Liability on defense, and so so numbers on O. When he is moved to 3rd, his offensive numbers will look even worse.

dparker713 said:
Colin Dowling said:
Thought JR Towles was going to get the lionshare of the PT with Ausmus as backup.
Correct. Forgot him.They arenn't re-signing Jennings.

Ed Wade said in his press conference that Tejada would be hitting third.

Bourn

Kaz

Tejada

Big Puma

Caballero

Pence

Wiggington

Towles

They'll likely need to score 6 runs a game to break .500, as their rotation is atrocious.

Roy O

Backe

Wandy

WW

Sampson

Pence batting 6th seems like a waste to me. At this point I think it would make more sense to bat Pence (extra base machine) somewhere between 3 and 5 and drop Tejada and his slower bat to 6th.

Interesting deal for sure. If the Astros could have made this deal without including Patton but adding Everett....that would have been better for sure.

Albers has mid-90's heat....but I'm not sure he has the make up to be a starter. He could be a decent reliever, imo, and Lord knows the Astros need all the pitching they can get, so adding him to the mix doesn't help, but not really that bad.

Safarte has a 100mph arm, but really doesn't have much control, so losing him is not that big of a deal.

I honestly know little about the 3rd base prospect they gave up, but I think he wouldn't have moved around so much if he was a real major league threat.

But, losing Patton is really what is going to hurt the Astros, not this year or next, but in a few years as he has potential to be a solid major league starter, I'm thinking Andy Petitte solid.

Astros have the worst or second worst minor league system in the majors. I hope they bolster this in the future. Not much coming up the pipe.

But, I really like this deal for the Astros. I've always liked Tejada, and I'm not overly concerned about the steroid talk. He may not be an MVP caliber player any longer, but in a lineup that includes Berkman and Lee and Pence, well, I'd be happy with him in there. Short left field porch should suit him well too.

Everyone knows the Astros need pitching, but please point me to one available pitcher that is a great #2 and is available. There is no one. Someone is going to pay stupid money to Carlos Silva. Jeff Suppan broke the bank last year. Pitching is too hard to find in the free agent market, and what's out there more often than not, sucks. NL Central is weak, hopefully the Astros can outscore some teams.

DCThunder said:
The 'Stros will quickly learn that Miggy is now more suited to play 3B than SS and that his power is WAY down as his bat speed has declined. A lot of his hits last season were to right, and they were singles to boot. He has warning track power now, even in Camden Yards. It'll be interesting to see how he adjusts to NL pitching since he's been an ALer all his career with the As and Os.Also, it will be kind of interesting to see who plays SS for the O's next season. I'm sure MacPhail isn't done wheeling & dealing, but I think the only other SS on the roster is a rookie who played some in September but that's it. AI, you know who it is?
Been gone all day but heard about the trade on the radio. Didn't find out who was involved until checking out this thread. Now that I know, :goodposting: :pickle: :pickle: Brandon Fahey may be the guy they put in at SS. Freddy Bynum played 15 games a SS last year, but they also had him in the OF. Kid is quick but I don't know much more about him.To answer why the fans are still going to come to the games is pretty simple. It seems like they finally have a plan. No more bringing in guys after their career year only to disappoint. Getting rid of the old, high paid baggage in return for prospects is exactly what needed to be done. There is also a gentleman by the name of Nick Markakis that you should be seeing in the All Star game for the next decade, hopefully as an Oriole. Home games are also at Camden Yards which isn't too shabby. I for one am excited to watch this team grow and improve.

Pence batting 6th seems like a waste to me. At this point I think it would make more sense to bat Pence (extra base machine) somewhere between 3 and 5 and drop Tejada and his slower bat to 6th.
Agreed. It was probably just press conference hype by Wade to slot him 3rd. The lineup is getting crowded though, which is a nice problem to have.

Users who are viewing this thread