What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Terrell Owens to Skip HOF Induction Ceremony (2 Viewers)

I know I would take Rice, Hutson, Moss, Warfield, over him.  I would be quite comfortable taking Harrison, Allworth and Sharpe over him, not to mention Calvin Johnson, Steve Largent, and Larry Fitzgerald.  Others may differ.  There are total stats in a pass happy era, and then there are guys that lifted their teams to championships.  His teams were not without accomplishment, and I do credit him somewhat for maybe elevating their play.  I also note that he had a good game in his one chance at a championship.  Still no rings and a constant distraction.  That said I don't see the slight in him not being a first ballot guy in an era of ballot backlog.  To some this is a big issue, to me, not so much either way. 

What I was really interested I was your take that him missing what for most would be a seminal event as being a brilliant move.  I fail to see the advantage to him in fame or wealth.  I sincerely allow that I may be missing something and would welcome your perspective.
Rice is without peer IMO. 

Moss played on just as many teams as Owens did in his career.  Owens played in the same era as Moss, yet Owens had more receptions.  More yards.  Higher yards per game.  Higher receptions per game.  Both finished with 156 total TDs (Owens had 3 rushing).  Both were selected to 6 ProBowls.  Moss was a 1st team All Pro 4 times, Owens was one 5 times.  Also, Moss never won a Superbowl either.     

Alworth, Hutson and Warfield are different eras, so it's pointless to try and compare.

Guys like Calvin Johnson and Sharpe could have been better than Owens, but they didn't have the longevity, IMO.  They are the Terrell Davis' of the WR.  HOF worthy, but don't have the overall numbers to be considered an all-time, all-timer.  

Harrison is a notch below Owens.  More receptions and Pro Bowls.  Less yards, TDs, All Pros.

Largent and Fitzgerald, 1 first team All Pro (neither won anything either).  I mean, if you're going to use a current player, Antonio Brown would be a guy to cite, not Fitz.  Already had 6 Pro Bowls and 4 All Pros.  Plus, he's piling up yards and receptions and is just turning 30.  He probably had 4-5 more good years left and a couple compiler years.  He could hit 1500 receptions and 20,000 yards.     

Rice is without peer IMO. 

Moss played on just as many teams as Owens did in his career.  Owens played in the same era as Moss, yet Owens had more receptions.  More yards.  Higher yards per game.  Higher receptions per game.  Both finished with 156 total TDs (Owens had 3 rushing).  Both were selected to 6 ProBowls.  Moss was a 1st team All Pro 4 times, Owens was one 5 times.  Also, Moss never won a Superbowl either.     

Alworth, Hutson and Warfield are different eras, so it's pointless to try and compare.

Guys like Calvin Johnson and Sharpe could have been better than Owens, but they didn't have the longevity, IMO.  They are the Terrell Davis' of the WR.  HOF worthy, but don't have the overall numbers to be considered an all-time, all-timer.  

Harrison is a notch below Owens.  More receptions and Pro Bowls.  Less yards, TDs, All Pros.

Largent and Fitzgerald, 1 first team All Pro (neither won anything either).  I mean, if you're going to use a current player, Antonio Brown would be a guy to cite, not Fitz.  Already had 6 Pro Bowls and 4 All Pros.  Plus, he's piling up yards and receptions and is just turning 30.  He probably had 4-5 more good years left and a couple compiler years.  He could hit 1500 receptions and 20,000 yards.     
I agree with everything you have written, stats-wise.  Yet having seen all of those players except Hutson I like them better.  They improved their teams and didn't tear them apart, except for maybe Moss and to a lesser extent Warfield who was a bit a of a prima donna himself.  One could also, I suppose, question Bambi's attitude a bit.  Still all different by several degrees from The Media Whore, Mr. I loves me some me.  In a team sport this matters, to me at least.  This is, however, not something where I would assert other's opinions are not valid, not in the least. Those that love Owens have cause, they just look for different things than I do, or give lesser weight to the negatives than I do and concentrate more on numbers than I.  If playing in a team sport is all about individual stats there is no question Owens has those.  If it is about his impact on his team, well I find some negatives there. 

I recognize Owens talent.  I am just not of the school of thought that first ballot is something that is earned and it is a slight not to get it.  Some years there are guys who have been waiting a long time with well earned cases who need to be served.  This year's class, for instance is a very strong class in my estimation. Some of them waited a long time for long overdue recognition.   

As for Antonio Brown I love his game.  I hope he keeps it up.  I hope he doesn't get full of himself.    Even if he does he should be a HOFer if he produces for even a few more years.

There is a theory that after meeting Canton officials he realized the costs involved and THIS is the reason why he won’t attend. Since non of his old teams are likely to be willing to shell out for him. Many suspect that he is having financial issues.

Food for thought...

Don’t you really enjoy watching football?  Does that seem weird to you?  It doesn’t to me.
I do, and I have managed to never once have an emotional personal reaction one way or the other regarding a player.

Much less a former player.

eta - with the exception of a handful I know personally, not as football players.

etaa - also seems weird that the only thing we aren't talking about here is football.  All personal/emotional Kardashian Housewives crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Man that dude is one of the best wide receivers we have ever seen!"

"Yea but I can tell from watching him on TV that he is a jackass/dumb/idiot/selfish/bad teammate/me-first-and only attitude/15 year old girl/2 cent brain."

It's certainly his prerogative, and his accomplishments and production stand on their own.

That said, he's far worse, imo, than Deion and other Me Me Me guys, because while they make it about them they also dont actively harm the team chemistry to the degree of costing them wins. I always felt there were times when TOs ob and off field antics hurt his team's chances to win. I take that into consideration fir the HoF and at the least, in my book  it clearly kept him out on the first go.

Top 3 ever numbers, but some literal losses attributed to him as well. How can that not matter?

As to his skipping the induction, it's fairly indicative of what and what he's about. But his choice.

"Man that dude is one of the best wide receivers we have ever seen!"

"Yea but I can tell from watching him on TV that he is a jackass/dumb/idiot/selfish/bad teammate/me-first-and only attitude/15 year old girl/2 cent brain."

For a guy so derisive of people making judgments, you sure seem to make enough of them yourself.

Bronco Billy said:
For a guy so derisive of people making judgments, you sure seem to make enough of them yourself.
The worst I said was it was weird to be emotionally invested in a former football player.

Weird doesn't need to be a judgement one way or the other I suppose... I just can't relate.

Go for it.

I love TO. His biggest problem is he can't stand people that don't put in the effort he does. That's also his right. He won't have many friends but the few he has will be gold. 

He doesn't beat women, do drugs or anything close. He just worked hard and gets more hate for his attitude than anything else. He's confused inside because he knows he hasn't done anything terrible but is perceived as a total jerk by so many. Sad but that's how it is.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
I know I would take Rice, Hutson, Moss, Warfield, over him.  I would be quite comfortable taking Harrison, Allworth and Sharpe over him, not to mention Calvin Johnson, Steve Largent, and Larry Fitzgerald.  Others may differ.  There are total stats in a pass happy era, and then there are guys that lifted their teams to championships.  His teams were not without accomplishment, and I do credit him somewhat for maybe elevating their play.  I also note that he had a good game in his one chance at a championship.  Still no rings and a constant distraction.  That said I don't see the slight in him not being a first ballot guy in an era of ballot backlog.  To some this is a big issue, to me, not so much either way. 

What I was really interested I was your take that him missing what for most would be a seminal event as being a brilliant move.  I fail to see the advantage to him in fame or wealth.  I sincerely allow that I may be missing something and would welcome your perspective.
It's hard to think of a more opposite player of TO than Larry Fitzgerald. Has never said anything negative about a teammate and no one has had anything negative to say about him. He gives everything he has to his team year around.  I've seen highlights of Lance Allworth and am convinced he's dominate in any era. He's probably make Antonio Brown look like a 4th WR in today's game.

Loved T.O. as a player. Might be the only one, but I never cared about his self-loving antics. I mean, I just don't care. He might have been all me, but he was really entertaining on and off the field. And I also think he made every QB better he player with. I never understood how people who watch the sport for the love of it, make silly assumptions and seem to know more about the person behind the player, than just enjoy what he brings to the game. By no means, I'm not a fan of Beckham Jr. as a "person", but do I enjoy when he's playing- I SURE DO. For me it's the game and Terrell Owens can do what ever he wants with hall of fame ceremony, the respect as a player has been earned and if he does not crusify dogs or something like that, I could not care less.

Da Guru said:
The HOF has said they will not talk about Owens again after he made his decision and rightly so as he is refusing to attend his induction. Is it possible that Owens was having a hard time finding someone to speak on his behalf?

So at the end of the ceremony will they say "Oh and by the way Terrell Owens was also inducted today..hope you had a nice day and drive safe on the way home" 
That's not what they said.  They said they would have no further comment about his decision.  They will of course honor him as they honor any other enshrinee, they aren't some bush league organization like the White House.

That's not what they said.  They said they would have no further comment about his decision.  They will of course honor him as they honor any other enshrinee, they aren't some bush league organization like the White House.
You're joking I hope. The HOF has disrespected TO for years like pretentious little babies. He's as first ballot as anyone yet personality clashes make him wait as they bash him personally. Wah wah, get over yourself.

Bankerguy said:
There is a theory that after meeting Canton officials he realized the costs involved and THIS is the reason why he won’t attend. Since non of his old teams are likely to be willing to shell out for him. Many suspect that he is having financial issues.

Food for thought...
This is the theory being floated but if he declines it taints the rest of this HOF class and it would hurt future 'quirky' players as candidates because the voters would discuss whether or not they would get the 'TO' treatment if they vote in the next diva WR or whatever.  

Terrell Owens, please gracefully accept the honor being bestowed upon you for the benefit of people who will be hurt if you decline.

I understand why so many don't like him. I don't dislike him though, I just find him to be weird. It's possible that he's always pumping himself up because he's insecure.

IMO his performance as an NFL WR cannot be denied and his Superbowl with the Eagles inspiring.

A legit HOF'r. He should attend the ceremony. He only gets one chance to attend his own induction, but can complain/pout/whine for the rest of his life if he wants.

This is the theory being floated but if he declines it taints the rest of this HOF class and it would hurt future 'quirky' players as candidates because the voters would discuss whether or not they would get the 'TO' treatment if they vote in the next diva WR or whatever.  

Terrell Owens, please gracefully accept the honor being bestowed upon you for the benefit of people who will be hurt if you decline.
I completely understand that theory but the people you should implore to be better are the voting committee and executives at the HoF.

Of course to himself.

He isn't going because the voters made it personal.  As the world reacts in yet further personal insults, it sure looks like he nailed it.

He seems good with it, weird to watch everyone else be bothered by it.  Ironic.
Guys like him get away with their behaviour cause guys like you fall for it.

He is a drama queen, and once he milks the drama of not going he’ll “change his mind” due to the “ outpouring of love from his fans.” The best thing about this it’s the last time anyone has to watch his old, tired act play out.

if there was ever a slight it’s Charles Haley, one of the greatest players ever and he had a handful of rings. But he didn’t like talking to reporters so they black balled hm for years. 

You're joking I hope. The HOF has disrespected TO for years like pretentious little babies. He's as first ballot as anyone yet personality clashes make him wait as they bash him personally. Wah wah, get over yourself.
I’m just not seeing how the Hall it Fame disrespected him. I mean they are inducting him after all. It took many many players multiple years to finally get in - mostly because there is a backlog. Only five players/coaches/excutives can get in with each class. He wait was relatively short all things considered. He’s still a young man and will now be a HoFer for a long long time.

It should be mandatory to show up to get the jacket. Being inducted into the HOF isn't a right, it's a priveledge and an honor, and he should treat it as such or forego being a member.

No show, no jacket (unless a medical issue prevents them from being there). That simple.

It should be mandatory to show up to get the jacket. Being inducted into the HOF isn't a right, it's a priveledge and an honor, and he should treat it as such or forego being a member.

No show, no jacket (unless a medical issue prevents them from being there). That simple.

I think he’s doing everyone a favor.  Let it go.  

No jacket until you kiss the ring?

Interesting.

That was the voters, not the organization itself.  You do realize that all of the voters are media members, not people affiliated with the HOF?

Hankmoody said:
That was the voters, not the organization itself.  You do realize that 46/48 of the voters are sportswriters, not people affiliated with the HOF?
Right and the writers regularly blasted him. Since they're the voters, they're an extension of the HOF. The 53 or so employees at the HOF mean little really.

I’m just not seeing how the Hall it Fame disrespected him. I mean they are inducting him after all. It took many many players multiple years to finally get in - mostly because there is a backlog. Only five players/coaches/excutives can get in with each class. He wait was relatively short all things considered. He’s still a young man and will now be a HoFer for a long long time.
You can't see it because there is nothing to see.  Of course the HOF didn't disrespect Terrell Owens, and it is asinine for anyone to suggest that they did. 

Right and the writers regularly blasted him. Since they're the voters, they're an extension of the HOF. The 53 or so employees at the HOF mean little really.
Except that the HOF employees, not the voters, are the ones that put on the presentation. 

I don't understand the reconsider argument.  He declined the invitation.  To me that means the invitation is no longer open. 

If I invite you to something and you R.S.V.P. that you are not attending you do not then get to decide that yes, after all you are coming.  the invitation is no longer open.  It is not up to you, it is now up to me to re-extend the invitation if I care to do so.  Is this invitation open after being declined?

I don't understand the reconsider argument.  He declined the invitation.  To me that means the invitation is no longer open. 

If I invite you to something and you R.S.V.P. that you are not attending you do not then get to decide that yes, after all you are coming.  the invitation is no longer open.  It is not up to you, it is now up to me to re-extend the invitation if I care to do so.  Is this invitation open after being declined?
Pretend for a moment it's not someone you despise.  That's how true professionals work.  They don't hold petty grudges.  Of course the invite isn't rescinded it would be bush league to do so and only a buffoon would uninvite someone out of spite to try to save face.  There are 7 other guys being inducted, they can proceed with all of the activities as normal and announce TO at every step.  If he's not there the only difference is there's no one standing there waving to the crowd or putting on a jacket or giving a speech.  If this was your brother that declined coming to a family reunion you're not going to accept him if he later determines he can?  What would you expect, that he calls you up and asks you to formally re-extend the invite so he can formally accept?  And under what supernova black hole would you refuse to do so?  C'mon man.

I love TO. His biggest problem is he can't stand people that don't put in the effort he does. That's also his right. He won't have many friends but the few he has will be gold. 

He doesn't beat women, do drugs or anything close. He just worked hard and gets more hate for his attitude than anything else. He's confused inside because he knows he hasn't done anything terrible but is perceived as a total jerk by so many. Sad but that's how it is.
Agreed and I don't think the lack of ring is necessarily his fault.  He played his guts out in the Super Bowl vs the Pats, on one good leg.  Had McNabb shown the same intestinal fortitude they'd likely both have rings.

Agreed and I don't think the lack of ring is necessarily his fault.  He played his guts out in the Super Bowl vs the Pats, on one good leg.  Had McNabb shown the same intestinal fortitude they'd likely both have rings.
I see what you did there.

I’m still trying to figure out how anyone gives the guy a complete pass for the damage he did to teams in the locker room and on the sideline.  He gets to be a total **** and tear apart teams because he expects everyone to be gifted with as much talent as he had?  Total BS.  And what he did to Garcia was nothing short of utter cowardice and childishness - to what end exactly.

He was a great talent.  No argument there.  But he was also a total punk.  The concept of team meant nothing to him.  Nothing.

I think the NFL is a big fraternity that most players are a part of. They look to each other as if having the same battles and battle scars. 

TO was often not part of the group either by his fault or others not extending the same hand they did. 

Sharing the moment with friends and family makes sense in this light. 

He has often spoke out of turn and often said things he regretted and often said harmless things that people spun to be harmful. I don't think he'd be comfy giving a speech or want to. I'm not sure he wants to give spinners one last chance to spin. Some HOF speeches are awesome some stink. I'd lean negatively toward how he'd do if he gave a speech. Since it is about performance and not speaking, I can imagine him letting his performance speak for itself. Ironically we often wished he did this

This is all sorts of wrong. When you have to reach to "he doesnt best women or do drugs" to justify that he wasn't a bad guy, you know something is off. Guy threw so many people under the bus and broke so many teams apart it isn't funny.  Complete lack of loyalty to anyone around him. That's why he's all alone. And even now, he still doesn't get it. You can play the victim card all you want for him. Skipping the ceremony is yet another example of TO. 

This is all sorts of wrong. When you have to reach to "he doesnt best women or do drugs" to justify that he wasn't a bad guy, you know something is off. Guy threw so many people under the bus and broke so many teams apart it isn't funny.  Complete lack of loyalty to anyone around him. That's why he's all alone. And even now, he still doesn't get it. You can play the victim card all you want for him. Skipping the ceremony is yet another example of TO. 
Nah. Everywhere he's been there's been drama but there's also been a lot of people that liked him. His detractors are just louder and they're probably 65/35. You obviously put a ton more into who he is rather than what he did to prepare for the game or what he did on the field. 

Btw, different is not wrong.

I'm glad he's doing it. He should have been a first ballot HOFer. The voters let their personal feelings get involved and stuck it to him. He's just letting them have it back. Good for TO.

That's bogus.

Is it called "The Hall Of Fame" or is it called "The Hall Of Fame But Only If You Show Up".

Don't sink to TO's level. Honor the man just like you'd honor anyone else who wasn't there.

Users who are viewing this thread