What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Terrell Owens to Skip HOF Induction Ceremony (1 Viewer)

Backlogged position or not, when statistically you're in a far and distant top 3 all-time, he has a legitimate gripe. IMO.
Absolutely. He could be argued as the best receiver of all time. When you look at his peak years, the QBs he was stuck with, what he did in the SB on one leg, and even his final season it clearly puts him ahead of Moss. Rice was just as dominant, did it longer, and didn't disrupt the team but he had better QB to work with. 

I mean at age 37 he was on pace for like a 1200/10 season before getting hurt. Who was the other WR on that team? He was basically a dominant WR1 at age 37. Rice pulled some of these super human feats off too but Moss did not. Moss quit when he had to play with terrible QB. TO never quit.  

TO will regret not going to the HOF ceremony but he no doubt should have been a 1st ballot HOF so he has a legit gripe. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely. He could be argued as the best receiver of all time. When you look at his peak years, the QBs he was stuck with, what he did in the SB on one leg, and even his final season it clearly puts him ahead of Moss. Rice was just as dominant, did it longer, and didn't disrupt the team but he had better QB to work with. 

I mean at age 37 he was on pace for like a 1200/10 season before getting hurt. Who was the other WR on that team? He was basically a dominant WR1 at age 37. Rice pulled some of these super human feats off too but Moss did not. Moss quit when he had to play with terrible QB. TO never quit.  

TO will regret not going to the HOF ceremony but he no doubt should have been a 1st ballot HOF so he has a legit grip. 
Not sure he has a 'legit grip' on anything.

:P

I approve of this.

Don't want to show up because you are being a crybaby, then you don't get recognized.  Works for me. 
If I throw a party and one of the main invitees does not want to show up, the most polite thing would be not to even mention his name.

It's almost like a "Seinfeld" routine:

Jerry (T.O.): "I won't be attending the event."

Store Manager (HOF): "May I ask why?"

Jerry (T.O.): "For spite."

Store Manager (HOF): "I'm afraid that 'spite' doesn't fit into any of our reasons for not attending."

Jerry (T.O.): "Well, so fine, then. Then......I have a prior commitment...and that's why I won't be attending!"

Store Manager (HOF): "You already said 'spite'. Too late!"

In my experience, people who tend to act like d-bags usually get treated like d-bags. Not saying the NFL shouldn't take the high road, but it shouldn't be a surprise to T.O. if the NFL leaves him out of the ceremony if it is a ceremony that he chooses not to attend.

This thread is proof that people will argue anything and everything. Our world is in a sad state. Does anyone work for a living? 

HoF acting like a buncha third graders.
They managed to make TO a sympathetic figure. Not easy.

They could have easily issued a brief statement, saying they respected his decision, and will still honor him, and yada yada yada.  Defuse it, make the focus be how childish TO is, and win the PR battle.

So dumb.  

I don't get the controversy here. TO was voted in to the HoF. He is refusing the induction ceremony therefor won't be part of the induction ceremony. What is the confusion here? 

TripItUp said:
Both parties come off terrible here.

I expected more from the NFL, even though I shouldn't have.

The HoF was going to give him the jacket and the spotlight he so badly craves to make a speech in front of the crowd and on TV and he gave them the middle finger.  I said it before - you reap what you sow.  He’s getting his just desserts.  There’s one person to blame here, as it always is with him - himself.

The HoF was going to give him the jacket and the spotlight he so badly craves to make a speech in front of the crowd and on TV and he gave them the middle finger.  I said it before - you reap what you sow.  He’s getting his just desserts.  There’s one person to blame here, as it always is with him - himself.
That doesn't negate the fact that the HOF and NFL come off equally childish.  They need to hold themselves to a higher standard.

Owens has no quibble whatsoever. 

He wanted to be in the Hall of Fame. 

He is now in the Hall of Fame (or will be soon when it's official).

He is giving the Hall of Fame the middle finger by refusing to show up.

He is giving his fellow inductees the middle finger by doing his own personal induction clown show on the same day. 

Owens was always a me-first guy who did what wanted to do, regardless of how it affected others, so this is him staying true to form.  This is who TO is and has always been: a selfish jack ###. 

The sad thing is, given what an emotional guy he is, he probably could have won a lot of people with a heartfelt speech at the HOF where he thanked the many people who helped get him to where he ended up, the football HOF.  Instead, he is now a joke, a caricature, a laughingstock. 

It could be argued TO, when playing, was the most valuable player in this class......

It could argued TO, when playing, was the most valuable player in this class......
Over Ray Lewis??!! Can I have what you’re smoking? 

Moss is another who I personally rank higher than TO but that one could be argued. However, TO more valuable than Ray Ray??  Nah. I can’t see an argument for that. 

Seems like a decent guy every time I've met him (3). Seems ok on Twitter too. That he goes against authority isn't very rare. If I put 110% into my job and some pencil pushers decided I was not worth anything I would probably not be associated with them either. Live your life TO just like they do. 

Neither of these took the high road. One went low and the other went lower. Nobody wins and their continued hatred of TO will only make their life more miserable too I guess.

TO was first ballot worthy and they made their pedestrian point and made him wait. He responded how he knows. They all got what they deserved. Don't think for a minute a lot of these Hof people won't carry this to their grave. 

TO will move along to the next disagreement and forget about this one.

Seems like a decent guy every time I've met him (3). Seems ok on Twitter too. That he goes against authority isn't very rare. If I put 110% into my job and some pencil pushers decided I was not worth anything I would probably not be associated with them either. Live your life TO just like they do. 

Neither of these took the high road. One went low and the other went lower. Nobody wins and their continued hatred of TO will only make their life more miserable too I guess.

TO was first ballot worthy and they made their pedestrian point and made him wait. He responded how he knows. They all got what they deserved. Don't think for a minute a lot of these Hof people won't carry this to their grave. 

TO will move along to the next disagreement and forget about this one.
The voters are different from those who run the Hall of Fame and organize the ceremony.  HTH. 

TO will move to the next disagreement?  Of course he will, because he is not happy unless he is playing the victim and crying about something.   Knowing Owens, had he been voted in two years ago, he would have decided not to go once he found out that Brett Favre was going on stage after him, because, as always, he is not happy unless he is an axe to grind. 

Also, voting someone into the Hall of Fame means you think they are worth nothing?  That is quite a hot take. :lol:  

The voters are different from those who run the Hall of Fame and organize the ceremony.  HTH. 

TO will move to the next disagreement?  Of course he will, because he is not happy unless he is playing the victim and crying about something

Also, voting someone into the Hall of Fame means you think they are worth nothing?  That is quite a hot take. :lol:  
Yeah, it's writers that are on the selection committee. Pencil pushers

How do you know he isn't happy and thrives on the disagreements?

And yeah, making him wait a year was clearly just an abuse of power and pedestrian. It's what caused his reaction.

And yeah, making him wait a year was clearly just an abuse of power and pedestrian. It's what caused his reaction.
BFD. 

The Hall is loaded with players who felt like they should have been voted in earlier than they were. 

And guess what? Not a single one of them threw a fit and decided not to show up to the induction ceremony. 

The media sucks...yeah, most of us know that already.  But when you are voted into the Hall of Fame, you go, which is why every single player in NFL history (who was alive and well enough to attend) has gone...until now. 

BFD. 

The Hall is loaded with players who felt like they should have been voted in earlier than they were. 

And guess what? Not a single one of them threw a fit and decided not to show up to the induction ceremony. 

The media sucks...yeah, most of us know that already.  But when you are voted into the Hall of Fame, you go, which is why every single player in NFL history (who was alive and well enough to attend) has gone...until now. 
I know from seeing your posts that you just like to argue. 

If every first ballot guy was made to wait until his second year because of some personality issue with a few writers, we would probably see quite a bit more of this. 

I know from seeing your posts that you just like to argue. 

If every first ballot guy was made to wait until his second year because of some personality issue with a few writers, we would probably see quite a bit more of this. 

Owens was made to wait because of his own actions throughout his career.  I can’t think of one guy with his level of ability who displayed as much selfishness and divisiveness as Owens did - not even remotely close.  I wish people would stop making excuses for him or simply dismissing his incredibly poor behavior throughout his career.  He brought this on himself.  This isn’t some kind of random witch hunt.  Owens earned this all on his own.  

Art Monk retired as the all-time leading receiver in NFL history. He waited 8 years. TO can go #### himself is his feelings are hurt about not being first ballot. 

An abuse of power? Wtf???? It’s their HOF. :lmao:

Milkman said:
It could be argued TO, when playing, was the most valuable player in this class......
Sure it could be argued, but it would be wrong. T.O. wasn't even the most valuable player on his own team in this class. Dawkins was more valuable to the Eagles than T.O. The Eagles got to 5 conference championships and 1 Super Bowl with Dawkins. Yes, the year they went to the Super Bowl, T.O. was on the team, but remember he got hurt late in the season and didn't even play in the playoff games that got the Eagles to the Super Bowl. Dawkins was the ultimate "Team" guy, T.O. was not.

T.O. had 3 playoff games in his playoff career where he had at least 100 yards receiving. Two of those were great games, the 2002 game against the Giants, and the 2004 Super Bowl against the Patriots. In his other 9 playoff games, T.O. had 30 catches for 352 yards. That averages out to 3.3 catches for 38 yards a game. More often than not, he did not come up big when it mattered the most.

I think T.O. deserves to be in the HOF. He didn't get elected on the first ballot because he is a horse's ### to deal with. But so what? There is no special section in the Hall of Fame for first ballot inductees. You are either in the Hall of Fame or you are not. He is in. Most people, like myself, think he should enjoy that the way everyone else does. I think the HOF is leaving him out of the ceremony not necessarily to punish him, but out of respect for the inductees who will be honored. I am sure they would rather not waste any time in the ceremony honoring a guy who chose not to show up.

I don't understand why people care so much if he shows up or not. Who cares?  It's his life and he's a grown man (maturity wise debatable) who's earned his place in the Hall of Fame.  If he doesn't want to be a part of the ceremony that's his decision to make even if the reasons are silly at best.  For the Hall of Fame to completely ignore his election to the Hall at the ceremony makes them equally as childish as TO.  You spend 30 seconds mention his name, his accomplishments and move on...be the bigger person(group) here. 

Users who are viewing this thread