What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The #1 Pick of the 2005 Draft - Vincent Young (2 Viewers)

If he goes to a 1AA, he either has to be really good or not have a pro-career
...and the thing is...Chance really isn't that great. He's an avg college qb. I do not see "starting NFL qb" in Chance Mock's future, or even #2. I'll believe that the same day I read in the Sporting News that the ghost of Billy Kilmer has been resurrected overnight and is starting his comeback in NFL Europe....although I suppose Chance might have a VERY outside shot at holding a clipboard.Mack talked him into staying (for depth) when he had already packed his bags to go DII. The qb rotation we saw last year, even after Vince became the #1, has to be a part of that, imho.
Further, I'd much rather lose a year and earn a higher draft slot and more money.
Draft? I don't think so.
What about him? He hit quite a few targets between the eyes in college, did he not? The same can't be said (yet) about Young.
I've watched every pass VY has thrown on the collegiate level and he has thrown more than his share of beauties. His passing "struggles" are overblown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Lee, I saw him play. Against OU. Verdict? ehhh....
That game was an abortion start to finish for Texas but even in that game you had to be able to see some brilliance shining through. He did lead both teams in rushing and had ½ of their touchdowns. :D
The guy played a handful of games last year, Texas got smoked in their bowl game and we're ready to annoint this guy as the next Mike Vick? Pass the bong, boys.
I understand the natural propensity for some of you to take the opposing stance on an unproven player but you couldn't have picked a worse guy to discredit. Further praise will just be dismissed as homerism anyway so I'll let it go because at this point all I can I offer is a "wait and see" and some piping hot crow when the time comes.
IMO, Mike Williams is a can't miss prospect. He's displayed his wares and he hasn't had a bad game. Ever. Not once. As well, his team hasn't had too many bad games, something Young can't say right now. Win first, then tell me about how great this kid is. Until then, it's hype. Plain and simple.
And nothing against Mike Williams, he's a future stud no doubt about it, but the league has several Mike Williams'. The league has yet to see a Vince Young.

And nothing against Mike Williams, he's a future stud no doubt about it, but the league has several Mike Williams'. The league has yet to see a Vince Young.
:confused: I thought we were calling him Mike Vick II?

:confused: I thought we were calling him Mike Vick II?
Check again..I called him Mike Vick [squared]. :yes:
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.................that's what the little 2 means?:historymajor:

1. :rotflmao: at aggy fan saying Vince has a below-average arm. He has a great arm and his passing, while not terrible now, will only improve. He'll never be a great passer but with his athletic ability he doesn't have to. 2. Colin-I work with a girl who is good friends with Chance . Chance didn't necessarily want to transfer; he wanted to for the football side but he loves UT and Austin as a whole so he was torn on the personal side. That said, I'm sure Mack did everything he could to keep him here.3. For those ragging on him, let's remember that he's only played half a season of college ball...

Fla\/\/ed.San Diego needs a WR, not a QB.  They will take Mike Williams.End of story.
flaVVed too.The Chargers will be taking Alex Barron, who they need much more than a WR, with their first pick.COlin
fla\/\/ed again. San Diego had their chance at an Alex Barron and they passed on Robert Gallery. If such a need existed (and I won't argue that it does not) they left that card on the table.Mike Williams is going to be very very very very hard to pass up.
Extremely flaWed. Chargers have 2 first round picks. Though both may be in the top 5 I doubt they will draft #1 overall, again. I look for those round picks to address their needs of a LT and WR.

FWIW, if we hypothesize that SD has a top 10 pick and NYG's is a top 10 as well, they could draft Barron (or whatever OL looks best), get a DE/DT to help their D and WIN games for once, and then pick up someone like Braylon Edwards in the 2nd.
Edwards is the top wr and a top ten pick in next yrs draft, you're dreaming if you think SD can get him in the 2nd rd. As far as Young is concerned, he will come back for another year of seasoning. Mike Williams will be the 3rd wr drafted next yr, no way is he going 1 overall.

Fla\/\/ed.San Diego needs a WR, not a QB.  They will take Mike Williams.End of story.
flaVVed too.The Chargers will be taking Alex Barron, who they need much more than a WR, with their first pick.COlin
fla\/\/ed again. San Diego had their chance at an Alex Barron and they passed on Robert Gallery. If such a need existed (and I won't argue that it does not) they left that card on the table.Mike Williams is going to be very very very very hard to pass up.
Extremely flaWed. Chargers have 2 first round picks. Though both may be in the top 5 I doubt they will draft #1 overall, again. I look for those round picks to address their needs of a LT and WR.
First off, it was kind of a joke saying San Diego would take Williams with the first pick meaning it was a dig on the chances of San Diego.I actually like the Chargers to improve this year...and said so here.All that said, if Mike Williams is there when the Chargers draft, they will NOT pass him up. IMO.

First team all BIG XII (pre season):

OFFENSE (OL is regardless of position)

QB - Brad Smith, Jr. Missouri

RB - Cedric Benson, Sr. Texas

RB - Darren Sproles, Sr. Kansas State

WR - Mark Clayton, Sr. Oklahoma

WR - Terrence Murphy, Sr. Texas A&M

TE - Matt Herian, Jr. Nebraska

OL - Jammal Brown, Sr. Oklahoma

OL - Vince Carter, Sr. Oklahoma

OL - Richie Incognito, Jr. Nebraska

OL - Sam Mayes, Sr. Oklahoma State

OL - Jonathan Scott, Jr. Texas

PK - Trey DiCarlo, Jr. Oklahoma

KR - Terrence Murphy, Sr. Texas A&M

Top Quarterbacks

1. Brad Smith, Missouri

2. Jason White, Oklahoma

3. Vince Young, Texas

4. Reggie McNeal, A&M

5. Joel Klatt, Colorado

Top 30 Players Regardless of Position

1. RB Darren Spoles, Sr. Kansas State

2. QB Brad Smith, Jr. Missouri

3. RB Cedric Benson, Sr. Texas

4. LB Derrick Johnson, Sr. Texas

5. WR Mark Clayton, Sr. Oklahoma

6. DE Dan Cody, Sr. Oklahoma

7. DE Adell Duckett, Sr. Texas Tech

8. LB Lance Mitchell, Sr. Oklahoma

9. QB Jason White, Sr. Oklahoma

10. TE Matt Herian, Jr. Nebraska

11. OT Jammal Brown, Sr. Oklahoma

12. CB Darrent Williams, Sr. Oklahoma State

13. LB Barrett Ruud, Sr. Nebraska

14. QB Vince Young, Soph. Texas

15. RB Courtney Lewis, Soph. Texas A&M

16. C Vince Carter, Sr. Oklahoma

17. LB James Kinney, Sr. Missouri

18. DT Dusty Dvoracek, Sr. Oklahoma

19. RB Taurean Henderson, Jr. Texas Tech

20. SS Donte Nicholson, Sr. Oklahoma

21. WR Terrence Murphy, Sr. Texas A&M

22. RB Vernand Morency, Jr. Oklahoma State

23. DT Rodrique Wright, Jr. Texas

24. DT Jermaine Berry, Sr. Kansas State

25. CB/SS Michael Huff, Jr. Texas

26. DE Jason Berryman, Soph. Iowa State

27. OG Sam Mayes, Sr. Oklahoma State

28. FS Josh Bullocks, Jr. Nebraska

29. FS Maurice Lane, Jr. Baylor

30. CB Cedrick Williams, Sr. Kansas State

Considering these stats, if Colin's prediction comes true then I for one will be totally impressed!

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Young wound up being a top ten pick. He has it all from a physical standpoint. He'll have to show more on the field before a team will use a first on him, but he should get plenty of chances to do just that.The upcoming QB draft class has the potential to be exceptional. The senior prospects are extremely lackluster, but Aaron Rodgers, Vince Young, and AFL star Adrian McPherson all have the potential to be legitimate franchise QB's in the NFL. I'm not quite so high on Matt Leinart just yet, but if he has another season like the last one then he's going to be a serious first round prospect if he declares for the draft.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Young wound up being a top ten pick. He has it all from a physical standpoint. He'll have to show more on the field before a team will use a first on him, but he should get plenty of chances to do just that.The upcoming QB draft class has the potential to be exceptional. The senior prospects are extremely lackluster, but Aaron Rodgers, Vince Young, and AFL star Adrian McPherson all have the potential to be legitimate franchise QB's in the NFL. I'm not quite so high on Matt Leinart just yet, but if he has another season like the last one then he's going to be a serious first round prospect if he declares for the draft.
Norm Chow's guy = 1st Round Pick.Although i think Benson is going to win it, I wouldn't be surprised to see Leinart be a Heisman candidate all year long. Colin

FWIW, if we hypothesize that SD has a top 10 pick and NYG's is a top 10 as well, they could draft Barron (or whatever OL looks best), get a DE/DT to help their D and WIN games for once, and then pick up someone like Braylon Edwards in the 2nd.
Edwards is the top wr and a top ten pick in next yrs draft, you're dreaming if you think SD can get him in the 2nd rd. As far as Young is concerned, he will come back for another year of seasoning. Mike Williams will be the 3rd wr drafted next yr, no way is he going 1 overall.
Really? Despite my name, I am a lifelong Michigan fan. While I like Edwards, I just don't rate him that high. I hope I'm wrong though.I don't see Mike as the top WR either, but had he played at USC this year he probably would have been. Obviously, no way to know that now.

With the new trend seeming to be teams grabbing WRs early, even if this wasn't a banner year for them, Rogers and AJ went top 3 last year and teams seem to realize WRs are valuable, so maybe Terrell Edwards will be a top 10 pick, as may Mike.

So, maybe SD needs to look Barron/Edwards with their 2 top 10 picks.

Top 30 Players Regardless of Position

1. RB Darren Spoles, Sr. Kansas State
Sprooles is going to be on FIRE this year (HEISMAN), but where will he be drafted? Maybe in the 3rd round, if he's lucky? He's a guy I can root for despite him playing for the wrong team in this state, I'd love to see him have a good NFL career, but he makes Brian Westbrook look big. As for Mock - I've gotten the feeling that he's another QB who is more of a manager than a star. He would have been a better fit in the Big Ten than Big XII.

Although i think Benson is going to win it, I wouldn't be surprised to see Leinart be a Heisman candidate all year long.

Colin
Not Benson. Look a couple states North. (see above comment on Sprooles)

Darren Sproles 5'7" 180 lbsBarry Sanders 5'8" 203 lbsSproles may not get selected very early, but he deserves to be. I've seen almost every game he's played in college and he never ceases to amaze me. All he has to do is put on a few more pounds and he can definately be another Barry Sanders. He's already got all the moves.Maybe he'll fall to Miami in the 2nd or 3rd round and they'll get him AND Mr. Young (if Young comes out early). That would be a BIG first step in the rebuilding process for them.

Just read this from as a link from a college board...

An interview with star QB recruit Ryan Perrilloux:

"At Texas, I could get on the field in two years," Perrilloux said. "Vince (Young) told me that he'll leave in two years, so he could take me under his wing, I could learn the system and then he could hand it over to me when he comes out as a junior. They send all their guys to the NFL, and that's basically what I am looking for."
LINKFWIW - I think that makes a lot more sense. From what I heard from someone at the UT-NTSU game, Young still looks like he's playing darts when passing. And he's not finding the bullseye.

SD has a lot of needs and saw that chance to get a good QB and an extra #1 from a bad team next year. Not too mention they also drafted a kicker this year with the Giants #3 and get the Giants #5 next year as well. Why people still think Gallery was a better option is beyond me. Maybe on a team that already has the pieces of a great team except OL, but the Chargers needs were too much to pass up the deal. Next year they will likely get a WR and OL and finally be able to compete.

The TX playcalling consist of 3 plays today. Hand off to Benson, QB draw, and the dumpoff to the TE. They need to do something quick if they want to win!

First off, it was kind of a joke saying San Diego would take Williams with the first pick meaning it was a dig on the chances of San Diego.I actually like the Chargers to improve this year...and said so here.All that said, if Mike Williams is there when the Chargers draft, they will NOT pass him up. IMO.
Mike Williams-ish WR (big possesion guy) and a LT to help with the run game will put the Chargers in position to make a run at the Superbowl in 2006.

Fla\/\/ed.San Diego needs a WR, not a QB. They will take Mike Williams.End of story.
Mike Williams-ish WR (big possesion guy) and a LT to help with the run game will put the Chargers in position to make a run at the Superbowl in 2006.
It's too early to say. If Caldwell and Parker continue improving, the Bolts may decide it's time to get some more defensive help, or possibly upgrade the offensive line more - Oben, and Goff are doing o.k. but if the right player is around I could see the Bolts investing in someone to take one of those positions.With the Giants and Chargers playing better than some (my self excluded) expected, the Chargers may not be in a position to get Williams anyway.

1 word for the original post in this thread: NOTI could lose every fantasy this weekend and still be smiling.God bless Stoopsie and the Sooners!

Maybe if the NFL team that drafted him could manage to schedule a few games against Rice and North Texas, then, maybe he or Benson might be the #1 pick.

God bless Stoopsie and the Sooners!
Amen to that one!

*Yawn*Another "mobile" QB.Besides Michael Vick I really can't think of an ahteletic QB that really did much. Unless you want to throw the greatest QB ever Steve Young (IMO)They just look good on paper and really don't amount to much.They're quarterbacks and they win with their arms, sure it's nice if they're talented and have the athleticism but they usually don't.They always seem to break under the pressure.I don't Brett Favre or Dan Marino had 4.3 40's :lol:Does anybody know what Steve Young's 40 time was?Prolly 4.6 or 4.7 just curious.

This kid's biggest problem is his OC/QB Coach, Greg Davis. His gameplanning sucks. His play calling sucks, and his qb coaching sucks. VY has regressed in form since HS, where he threw the ball far better than now. GD has to go, but I've been saying that since before VY got here. Davis was also the biggest speedbump in the development of Chris Simms.

*Yawn*Another "mobile" QB.Besides Michael Vick I really can't think of an ahteletic QB that really did much. Unless you want to throw the greatest QB ever Steve Young (IMO)They just look good on paper and really don't amount to much.They're quarterbacks and they win with their arms, sure it's nice if they're talented and have the athleticism but they usually don't.They always seem to break under the pressure.I don't Brett Favre or Dan Marino had 4.3 40's :lol:Does anybody know what Steve Young's 40 time was?Prolly 4.6 or 4.7 just curious.
See McNabb, Donovan - 4 year starter at the Cuse

O/Tbut do the sooners not have a hand symbol?do they jsut take everyone else hand symbol and just flip it upside down?longs horns flipped down.Aggies, thumb down. lol. :rotflmao: think of somehting else besides flipping everyones stuff upside down :brush:

You think Donavon McNabb is a mobile QB? He can make good use of his feet but he's no 4.3 40.He's a big guy not a fast guy.SeeSuck, You :)

*Yawn*Another "mobile" QB.Besides Michael Vick I really can't think of an ahteletic QB that really did much.  Unless you want to throw the greatest QB ever Steve Young (IMO)They just look good on paper and really don't amount to much.They're quarterbacks and they win with their arms, sure it's nice if they're talented and have the athleticism but they usually don't.They always seem to break under the pressure.I don't Brett Favre or Dan Marino had 4.3 40's  :lol:Does anybody know what Steve Young's 40 time was?Prolly 4.6 or 4.7 just curious.
You think Donavon McNabb is a mobile QB?
:confused:

I really don't understand why Texas didn't take any shots downfield today.
You & me both. OU was just daring us to go up top, and Greg Davis just kept running right into a stacked D. Sickening. The guy has to be the worst OC at any major program. A staple of the offense this season has been passes over the middle to the TEs. Today we saw none even attempted until we were down by 2 tds with 8 minutes left.
because the wideouts weren't open and the QB couldn't hit them if they were.
Actually, the wideouts were rarely open, or were running wrong routes much of the time. When they were getting open, their routes were so slow developing that Vince couldn't get the pass off before the being killed by the pass rush or was running for his life. See Greg Davis....ask him why Limas Sweed, a RS Freshman, still runs bad routes about half the time. There were several times today when Vince had a little time to throw, then double clutched when he saw the wr was out of place. Like the time late in the 3rd, when Nate Jones blew his route. Also, don't forget Nate Jones dropping the pass in the end zone that hit him squarely in the chest. Not so cut & dry, eh? No, this wasn't Vince's best game, but take a look at the box and you'll see Mr. Heisman didn't fare much better. IN fact, he was picked twice to Vince's zero. These were two qbs facing uphill climbs today.

you'd think play-action would've been somewhat successful today.
"...think..."?Hold on. Are you positing the notion that Greg Davis should actually engage his BRAIN when calling plays?Intriguing.

Mobility is a good thing.

I really don't understand why Texas didn't take any shots downfield today.
because the wideouts weren't open and the QB couldn't hit them if they were.
Vince needs new receivers. . . maybe a team of midgets would be able to catch his ankle high passes. He sucks, Mack should've taken him aside last year, pointed to Roy Williams during a film session, and said to Vince, "We know that you were an all-world high school QB, but we're gonna make you the second coming of Roy Williams."The writing was on the walls last year when they had to yank Vince to mount a last minute comeback on T-Tech. He can't pass to save his life. Against OU, he would turn 3-step drop/quick passes into 3-step drop/don't pass/duck/spin around/get tackled or flushed. I don't blame the offensive coordinator, or the WRs. The fact is, Vince ought to have been getting the ball out quickly and hard. Its hard to blame the coordinator because the QB can't make plays, rushes through progressions, and refuses to throw the ball out where his WRs can make plays. The WRs aren't good, but unless the ball is thrown to them, there is no chance they can make a play. The TEs on the other hand are excellent.This team would've been sooooo much better off with Mock at QB and Vince at WR. Those who say otherwise really have no idea how good of a QB Mock is. He's got decent speed, but most importantly, he passes the ball. Speaking of speed, mighty Vince had a measly 54 yds rushing to go with his awful passing day.

Only if they can throw and be effective doing it too.Vince Young is another Kordell Stewart.

Kinda odd how the glaring issues I saw in Vince Young's game and posted about on August 27 showed up on Saturday against a quality defense. Eerie :shock:

*Yawn*Another "mobile" QB.Besides Michael Vick I really can't think of an ahteletic QB that really did much.  Unless you want to throw the greatest QB ever Steve Young (IMO)They just look good on paper and really don't amount to much.They're quarterbacks and they win with their arms, sure it's nice if they're talented and have the athleticism but they usually don't.They always seem to break under the pressure.I don't Brett Favre or Dan Marino had 4.3 40's  :lol:Does anybody know what Steve Young's 40 time was?Prolly 4.6 or 4.7 just curious.
Only if they can throw and be effective doing it too.Vince Young is another Kordell Stewart.
No he's not. He's a mobile Chris Simms. Somebody is going to get a hold of him and teach him to play quarterback, give him some confidence. At that point, he'll be a very good player at the next level. I have NEVER seen a team of skill players develop so slowly as the guys that Mack Brown/Greg Davis get a hold of. Its startling, truly startling.COlin

No he's not. He's a mobile Chris Simms. Somebody is going to get a hold of him and teach him to play quarterback, give him some confidence. At that point, he'll be a very good player at the next level. I have NEVER seen a team of skill players develop so slowly as the guys that Mack Brown/Greg Davis get a hold of. Its startling, truly startling.COlin
Chris Simms has a rocket launcher attached to his arm compared to Vince. At least Simms showed a propensity to actually throw the ball. Vince needs to understand that its his job to pass the ball, its the receivers' jobs to get open and catch the ball. If he ran the plays as they are called, the passing game would be alot better off. Simms NEVER underthrew so many players.As for your comments about skill players not developing under this regime, that's a very fair complaint. e.g. Less than 2 years after starting for the Longohorns, Simms replaces a capable Brad Johnson in the NFL. exhibit B: Roy Williams

I have NEVER seen a team of skill players develop so slowly as the guys that Mack Brown/Greg Davis get a hold of. Its startling, truly startling.COlin
You have no idea how frustrating it is as a Longhorn fan.You can't help but have hope when you have so much talent on the offensive side of the ball despite the fact that when you look at it rationally you know that Greg Davis will find a way to grossly underutilize that talent. I feel like the mouse who keeps going back to get the cheese despite repeatedly getting shocked.

The guy that has the best chance of being an NFL QB is Trent Edwards of Stanford. Good size (6-4) and very accurate. Young could be a good QB in the NFL, but unless he learns to pass he's going to be another Kordell.

Users who are viewing this thread