What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The #1 Pick of the 2005 Draft - Vincent Young (1 Viewer)

Colin Dowling

Footballguy
As the college football season begins tomorrow, I felt the need to go on and call your attention to the #1 pick of the next NFL draft, so you can enjoy watching him this season. Granted, he's a 3rd year player at a school where stars don't often leave early, but I think even Mack Brown will encourage him to leave school when it becomes apparent that he's going to be the #1 pick. My money says that the Dolphins either draft him at #1 or trade up to draft him at #1, but thats just me...

Anyway, I proudly introduce to you my late-August selection for #1 pick overall:

Vincent Young - Quarterback - Texas Longhorns

Just so we're clear, I'm not much of a Longhorn fan. I'll be the first to tell you that its not exactly QB University. Also, I don't care for the Big XII in general. However, I'm not going let my personal feelings cloud my judgement if I can help it. From a pro-scouting "potential" standpoint, Vince Young is the most talented QB in college. Matt Leinart (USC) and Andrew Walter (ASU) will likely post better numbers than Young, and the Norm Chow factor will have Leinart ready to rock in a Pro-Style system. But neither of them bring to the table the tools that Young possesses. I expect all three to be gone in the top-15 of the first round, with Young being the first player selected overall.

Lets get started...

Passing

Last season, in a backup/second-half role, Young completed 58.7% of his passes for 8.1 ypa (1155yards), 7 TDs and 6 Ints. Hardly stellar at the college level. However, word is that Young spent the entire offseason working on his "touch" and even though his delivery is slightly unorthodox mechanically (think, "throwing behind his body") he has been one of the most improved players in Texas's fall practices. At the final scrimmage early this week, he lit things up and showed tremendous accuracy. Granted it was a scrimmage, but the improvement was readily apparent. He should have no trouble completing more than 60% of his passes this season, even with a young and less-experienced WR core than last season. Even though I've called attention to his mechanics, he looks like John Elway compared to Phillip Rivers, if that makes you feel any better.

Rushing

Young is ridiculously fast and quick. No really, he's ridiculously fast and quick. Upon entering the NFL, he'll likely be the fastest Quarterback in the league not named Vick. Last season, he rushed 135 times for 998 yards (7.4 ypc) and 11 TDs. The great thing, from a future-NFL perspective, is that the Horns weren't prone to running the option. THese rushes from Young were either busted plays, bootlegs, or QB draws for the most part. On busted plays, he's ridiculously difficult to bring down as his agility/quickness greatly contribute to finding openings in the very small space of a collapsed pocket despite his height.

Size/Metrics

Young has ideal pro-QB size. He's currently listed at 6'5, 200lbs with a listed speed of 4.4 in the 40. (The weight may be slightly different by now, as the 200 was a measurement towards the end of last season). By nature he's a little lanky, but not "skinny".

Intangibles

Young was the #1 quarterback in the country the year he joined the Longhorns. After being a bit softspoken in his first season with the Horns, he started asserting himself a little last year. However, the biggest change came after the Horns were pounded by Washington State in last year's Holiday Bowl. The look on Vince's face at the end of the game (disgust, frustration) has clearly morphed in to motivation. He's firing up teammates before practices, counsling receivers before and after plays, and doing all those "He's really becoming a leader" things that you look for in special players. Also, he's Steve McNair's God-Son IIRC, which is probably a good thing.

So, there you have it in a nutshell. In case you didn't know anything about Vince Young, now you do, and now you have a reason to watch the Longhorns, if only to see Young scramble out of a rapidly shrinking pocket and run like a gazelle for 30 yards without breathing hard. Dude is the real deal, don't say you weren't warned...

HERD

I think I agree with everything you say except one thing; I don't have any reason to believe that he will be leaving UT in time for the 2005 draft. Unless Texas wins the MNC this year (very, very doubtful) I think he comes back for one more year. One thing that many people fail to take into account is how much the Horn's players love being in Austin and at UT. Additionally, even though it appears that he has made strides to being more of a QB instead of just an athlete, I think it will be obvious as the season rolls along that he needs at least one more year of being a college QB before hitting the NFL. Of course that is offset to some degree because his QB coach is Greg Davis and that certainly can't be much of a selling point for staying.We will probably just have to wait and see, but I would make a modest wager that he does not jump to the NFL for the 2005 draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I completely agree that Young has elite level physical ability, he remains very raw. In the Texas games I saw last season, his athleticism is beyond reproach, but his accurarcy and decision making still have a ways to go. This is not a criticism, but a condition of relative inexperience. He will be an upper end first round pick, but I believe he is 2 years away, and barring exponential growth this season, would be better served staying at Texas for the next 2 seasons.

While I completely agree that Young has elite level physical ability, he remains very raw. In the Texas games I saw last season, his athleticism is beyond reproach, but his accurarcy and decision making still have a ways to go. This is not a criticism, but a condition of relative inexperience. He will be an upper end first round pick, but I believe he is 2 years away, and barring exponential growth this season, would be better served staying at Texas for the next 2 seasons.
He may stick around. I simply think he's made significant improvement and I think that he'll be hard pressed to stay in college when the draft-feelers say, "You'll probably be the #1 pick." Michael Vick was exciting in college, but he was in no way polished. Heck, he's STILL not polished. McNair wasn't polished. Culpepper, aside from a great completion percentage, wasn't polished. Losman wasn't polished. Leftwich wasn't polished. I think that "polish" is overrated when it comes to QBs sometimes, especially when the talent is so obvious.COlin

Vince Young is a freakish talent, as talented a player the college ranks have seen since Mike Vick. The Katy, TX high school coach, who has been coaching for 35 years at a very good program said in all his years he's only seen 2 players who were men amongst boys in high school-Vince Young and Earl Campbell.That said, Vince isn't going pro after this year. He still has a long way to go passing wise for the NFL, although he's not as bad as some would make him out to be. Texas will primarily be a running team this year and while he'll improve dramatically in his passing game, he'll need at least another year of work.For anybody who hasn't seen him play this year, make sure you catch a game. He is simply the most exciting player in college football.

[Longhorn homer/]he's actually a reshirt sophomore, which is much different than a "third year player" IMO. He redshirted 2 years ago during Simms senior campaign. I do think he will come out early, but it will be for the 2006 draft IMO. posts like this are what lead to people hating Texas IMO though (and Colin you are one of my favorite posters). non Texas fans build our guys up to be the 2nd coming and then enjoy bashing them when they fall short. this is his 1st year as a full time starter. in fact his passing has been so suspect to this point that Chance Mock was brought in on obvious passing situations (2 min drill, etc). i love the kid and i think he's a freak. but lets give him a chance to play for a bit before he is anointed.now, i will :popcorn: as this degrades into yet another dead horse debate (Mack, applewhite, whatever..pick your topic)

Fla\/\/ed.San Diego needs a WR, not a QB. They will take Mike Williams.End of story.
flaVVed too.The Chargers will be taking Alex Barron, who they need much more than a WR, with their first pick.COlin

Fla\/\/ed.San Diego needs a WR, not a QB. They will take Mike Williams.End of story.
I suppose the Eli trade would work out well if they get Mike as part of it.Is Young even starting for Texas this year?

flaVVed too.The Chargers will be taking Alex Barron, who they need much more than a WR, with their first pick.COlin
fla\/\/ed again. San Diego had their chance at an Alex Barron and they passed on Robert Gallery. If such a need existed (and I won't argue that it does not) they left that card on the table.Mike Williams is going to be very very very very hard to pass up.

Alex Barron SR OT Florida St. Could move way up with a strong senior season. Answered my own question.

For people saying he is not polished- neither was Vick.Young is freakishly fast, it appears that he is just gliding on the field, while pulling away from people in a full sprint. I think he is #1 if he leaves early.

Fla\/\/ed.

San Diego needs a WR, not a QB.  They will take Mike Williams.

End of story.
flaVVed too.The Chargers will be taking Alex Barron, who they need much more than a WR, with their first pick.

COlin
fla\/\/ed again. San Diego had their chance at an Alex Barron and they passed on Robert Gallery. If such a need existed (and I won't argue that it does not) they left that card on the table.

Mike Williams is going to be very very very very hard to pass up.
flaVVed trice.They had their chance at Gallery and passed him up for Phillip Rivers and Alex Barron, which was a good deal.

They also just signed the aforementioned Rivers and re-signed Tomlinson, so its in their best interests to keep both of those guys from getting killed.

NOw here is the question: Will you Re-flaVV me?

Colin

Nice writeup, although I think he prolly stays. But if things went well enough for him to be considered even close to the top pick next year, he might take the chance to get away from Greg Davis and move on to professional coaching. Then Ryan Perrileaux could step in, although I'd rather RP have a chance to redshirt.

Last season, in a backup/second-half role, Young completed 58.7% of his passes for 8.1 ypa (1155yards), 7 TDs and 6 Ints.
For much of the season, Mack Brown had the QBs rotating: Mock 2 series, Young 1 series. :rolleyes: ....Gay.
Young is ridiculously fast and quick. No really, he's ridiculously fast and quick.
Really. It's true. He's ridiculously fast and quick.
He's currently listed at 6'5, 200lbs with a listed speed of 4.4 in the 40.
He's probably put on 10 or 15 pounds of muscle since then. The 4.4 is real, too. He doesn't look like he's moving at that speed sometimes, then you realize that he's outrunning the dbs. I guess it's an illusion produced by his long legs. His field vision and cutting/stopping ability are what really make him and amazing runner, though. One of his nicknames is "Matrix". He has the ability to just make it look as if everyone else is moving much slower than him and that he knows what they're going to do.His "struggles" in the passing game have been greatly exaggerated by some around here. I mean something like 10 of his first 11 collegiate drives went for TDs. It was scary. Throws a fantastic deep ball (with touch...I'm not just saying he can throw it a helluva long way, but he can do that, too.).
Also, he's Steve McNair's God-Son IIRC, which is probably a good thing.
Steve told him this off-season that he needs to let more of his natural on-field ability shine through this year. I take that to mean "don't worry so much about GD and the haters worrying about your f'ing throwing motion and just throw the ball and run the ball." At least I hope so.
He's still not as good as Chris Simms...or is it Major Applewhite
He'll be better than both.
Michael Vick was exciting in college, but he was in no way polished. Heck, he's STILL not polished. McNair wasn't polished. Culpepper, aside from a great completion percentage, wasn't polished. Losman wasn't polished. Leftwich wasn't polished. I think that "polish" is overrated when it comes to QBs sometimes, especially when the talent is so obvious.
He has a point. Look at the MLB draft, for example. They'll take a kid really high that can run but can't hit a lick. They figure they can teach him. Same goes for a pitcher with a good arm that's wild, esp a lefty. Talent rules.
make sure you catch a game. He is simply the most exciting player in college football.
Yes.
Is Young even starting for Texas this year?
Yes. It's his team.

Fla\/\/ed.

San Diego needs a WR, not a QB.  They will take Mike Williams.

End of story.
flaVVed too.The Chargers will be taking Alex Barron, who they need much more than a WR, with their first pick.

COlin
fla\/\/ed again. San Diego had their chance at an Alex Barron and they passed on Robert Gallery. If such a need existed (and I won't argue that it does not) they left that card on the table.

Mike Williams is going to be very very very very hard to pass up.
flaVVed trice.They had their chance at Gallery and passed him up for Phillip Rivers and Alex Barron, which was a good deal.

They also just signed the aforementioned Rivers and re-signed Tomlinson, so its in their best interests to keep both of those guys from getting killed.

NOw here is the question: Will you Re-flaVV me?

Colin
Yup.Your supposition is that Barron is the best Tackle in NCAA football. And that might not be the case. Some sources indicate that Barron needs a solid senior year to climb that echelon, while tackles like Jamaal Brown are already there.

What I am implying is that there is no better WR available in the 2005 draft than Mike Williams. In fact, I dare say he would have been the best WR available in the 2004 draft. Now, that's an opinion, but what is closer to fact is my former statement.

Does San Diego need help on the O-line? Absolutely. Did they address that need in the 2004 draft? Well, outside of a center in the 3rd and two late round OTs, they did not. Why?

What would make San Diego better - One of the best college WR to ever play the game or an OT who needs a solid senior season to climb up the draft board?

What I am implying is that there is no better WR available in the 2005 draft than Mike Williams. In fact, I dare say he would have been the best WR available in the 2004 draft. Now, that's an opinion, but what is closer to fact is my former statement.
I think Williams will grade out as the 2nd or 3rd best WR in this class. By the time the games are played, regardless of Williams inactivity, Edwards will be ranked ahead of him.
What would make San Diego better - One of the best college WR to ever play the game or an OT who needs a solid senior season to climb up the draft board?
1. WHo are you talking about? Williams is very good. He's not one of the "best ever."2. An OT would make them better.Colin

I think Williams will grade out as the 2nd or 3rd best WR in this class. By the time the games are played, regardless of Williams inactivity, Edwards will be ranked ahead of him.
1. WHo are you talking about? Williams is very good. He's not one of the "best ever."2. An OT would make them better.Colin
You find me a WR who had better freshman and sophomore years than Williams had at USC. Offhand, I can't think of many, so if you prove me wrong, a box of cookies goes your way.There was talk of Williams being selected before the other Williams by teams in the 2004 draft, one of the richest WR drafts in recent history.The cupbard is a little thinner for 2005 and I'm willing to stick my neck out and say that nobody will grade out higher than Williams.

2002: It's an understatement to say that Williams made a huge impact as a freshman wide receiver in 2002, his first year at USC. He was perhaps the top freshman receiver in the country. Overall in 2002 while appearing in all 13 games (he started against Washington and Oregon), he caught a team-high 81 passes for 1,265 yards (15.6 avg.) with 14 TDs, plus he was 1-of-1 passing for 19 yards, ran for 9 yards on 2 carries (4.5 avg.) and had a tackle, forced fumble and fumble recovery. He was named to the 2002 The Sporting News Freshman All-American first team, Scripps/Football Writers Freshman All-American first team, Rivals.com Freshman All-American first team and was the Pac-10 Freshman of the Year. He was 16th nationally in receiving yards (97.3, fifth in Pac-10) and 20th in receptions (6.2, third in Pac-10). His 14 TD catches was second most in the nation. His 81 catches in 2002 are third on the USC season list. He had 5 100-yard receiving games in 2002 (including a stretch of 4 in a row-the most at USC since Keyshawn Johnson had 12 in a row in 1994 and 1995). He caught a TD pass in 7 consecutive games. His 14 TD receptions tied the USC season record first set by Johnnie Morton in 1994. His 3 TD receptions against Washington in 2002 tied a USC game record and his 13 catches at Oregon was a USC freshman mark. He owns the NCAA, Pac-10 and USC freshman season records for receiving yards (1,265) and TD catches (14, sharing the NCAA mark with Florida's Jabar Gaffney in 2000) and the Pac-10 and USC frosh mark for catches (81).
Oooops, the chances for you to find a WR who was better than Williams as a Freshman just got smaller.
2003: Just a sophomore in 2003, Williams was one of the nation's most dynamic and dangerous wide receivers. Overall in 2003 while starting all 13 games, he had 95 catches for 1,314 yards (13.8 avg.) and 16 TDs, plus he gained 26 yards on 3 rushes (8.7 avg.) off of backwards passes, completed both of his pass attempts for 38 yards (including a 15-yard TD against Michigan in the Rose Bowl), blocked a field goal and made a tackle. He was sixth nationally in receptions (7.3, second in the Pac-10) and 10th in receiving yards (101.1, third in Pac-10). His 16 TD catches in 2003 were a USC season record, the most in the Pac-10 in 2003 and the most by a Trojan in a season since Marcus Allen scored 23 in 1981. His 95 catches in 2003 were second on the USC season ladder (third on the Pac-10 list) and his 1,314 receiving yards in 2003 were fourth on the USC season chart (10th on the Pac-10 ladder). He had 7 100-yard receiving games in 2003. A finalist for the 2003 Biletnikoff Award, he was eighth in the Heisman Trophy voting and was the CBS.Sportsline.com National Player of the Year. He was a 2003 consensus All-American as he was named to the 2003 AP, Football Writers, Walter Camp, ESPN.com, SI.com, Collegefootballnews.com and Rivals.com All-American first teams (the first All-American first team Trojan wide receiver since Keyshawn Johnson in 1995 and the first USC sophomore honoree since Tony Boselli in 1992), The Sporting News All-American second team and the 2003 All-Pac-10 first team. He also made the ESPN.com All-Pac-10 and Collegefootballnews.com All-Pac-10 first teams.
So, 2 year stats:176 receptions for 2,579 yards and 30 TDs. And he just turned 20 in January. He averaged a TD every 6.1 times he touched the ball. And his 14.65 YPC average is pretty :eek: .

at 6-4 and 230, I kinda think he's the prototype for NFL WR these days. Something San Diego is lacking (Osgood aside).

You find me a WR who had better freshman and sophomore years than Williams had at USC. Offhand, I can't think of many, so if you prove me wrong, a box of cookies goes your way.
Larry Fitzgerald's first 2 years: 161 receptions/2,677 (16.6ypc)/34 TDsMike Williams first 2 years: 176/2579(14.65ypc)/30 TDs.I like Chips Ahoy and Oreos. ;)
There was talk of Williams being selected before the other Williams by teams in the 2004 draft, one of the richest WR drafts in recent history.
I'm really not trying to be argumentative, but the moment Reggie Williams (who was good for 149/2,427/14 his first two college seasons) ran a 4.5 and Roy Williams had his campus workout, Mike Williams was entrenched at #4 and wasn't moving up.COlin

PM me your address.However, I will counter that Williams only started two games his Freshman year while competing with Colbert, Kelly (both in NFL uniforms) and Byrd for passes.My recollection was that it was Fitzgerald and nobody else in his two years.

PM me your address.However, I will counter that Williams only started two games his Freshman year while competing with Colbert, Kelly (both in NFL uniforms) and Byrd for passes.My recollection was that it was Fitzgerald and nobody else in his two years.
I'm good on the cookies, but thanks.I'm really not trying to give you a hard time about Mike Williams. He's a fantastic player and if it were me, I'd spend this entire season of sitting out working with a track coach to get a tenth off my forty time before the next round of NFL workouts.If he does that, he'll be a top-5 pick even without playing football this season.I happen to think Edwards may have a big season and rightly or wrongly, big time "playmaker" types from Michigan always seem to get the benefit of the doubt on draft day. (Think Terrell and Woodson). I posted a mock a week or two ago with Williams going 4th to the Chargers. Check it out and see what you think. I can't decide whether the Chargers will go OLine or Defense if they pick at #2. I happen to think the D has gotten marginally better this offseason, so as I said in this thread, I'm leaning towards thinking they'll take the O-lineman.2005 MockColin

I actually think San Diego is going to be better than I give them credit for here and that it will be their defense that surprises. Of course, I also think New York is going to suck rocks, and so the Chargers are in a great position with the trade they made.Marty is a coach who is not familiar with failure year over year. Give that man some time and he'll put a good regular season product on the field. His coaching turn around in Washington three years ago still amazes me. That team was awful, and yet by season's end, he had that team playing well.Further, look at all the defensive picks they have slated to play for this year. They just went out and loaded the boat on D, specifically in the backfield. Yeah, I agree - an Offensive Lineman is a must, but I think they can find that in the draft without burning a pick on an OT in the first round. IMO, I have seen very few WRs play like Mike Williams. I've seen him live and he is something else. I also saw Reggie Williams live and he's great, but as far as concentration goes, there is nobody I can compare Mike Williams too. Hell, Reggie has been dropping balls in preseason and in camp - that's not something speed helps. I think he overcomes it, but you won't find Mike Williams dropping many passes now or in the future. He's just a freak. Unless San Diego can find a legit WR 1 this year, I think they almost have to go for Mike Williams.

Yes. It's his team.
It's his team, meaning Chance Mock's ### will be planted firmly on the bench unless the Horns are up 4 TD's in the fourth quarter? If Mack Brown pulls the same #### he did last year with his QB's, Young's development will most certainly be hindered. He needs to be on the field at all times.

I'm really not trying to give you a hard time about Mike Williams. He's a fantastic player and if it were me, I'd spend this entire season of sitting out working with a track coach to get a tenth off my forty time before the next round of NFL workouts.
That's the key. NFL loves speed and, after sitting out this year, I don't think there is any way that Williams goes #1 unless he gets in the mid 4.4 range.

Yes. It's his team.
It's his team, meaning Chance Mock's ### will be planted firmly on the bench unless the Horns are up 4 TD's in the fourth quarter? If Mack Brown pulls the same #### he did last year with his QB's, Young's development will most certainly be hindered. He needs to be on the field at all times.
As a rabid Longhorns fan, I could not agree more. Mack has said that both QB's will play (makes me cringe to type that). However, it's clear that this is Vince's team and if he plays like I've seen in the practices, he won't be coming off the field.

I'm really not trying to give you a hard time about Mike Williams. He's a fantastic player and if it were me, I'd spend this entire season of sitting out working with a track coach to get a tenth off my forty time before the next round of NFL workouts.
That's the key. NFL loves speed and, after sitting out this year, I don't think there is any way that Williams goes #1 unless he gets in the mid 4.4 range.
The NFL loves speed and SIZE and strength.Michael Irvin wasn't fast. But you try to jam him with a corner and you find yourself looking at a new set of downs to defend.At 230, Williams has the size and strength to be physical. Speed is great, but if you get jammed at the line, so what? As well, the kind of mental concentration that Williams possesses is pretty rare. What good is speed if you can't catch (ask Alexander Wright)?

It's his team, meaning Chance Mock's ### will be planted firmly on the bench unless the Horns are up 4 TD's in the fourth quarter?
It's his team, and at least for now he's going to be on the field, as Mock has an injured ankle and hasn't been practicing. He's still on crutches or has been until quite recently...and we all know how ankles can be. Right now we have one healthy qb who's worth a damn.
If Mack Brown pulls the same #### he did last year with his QB's, Young's development will most certainly be hindered. He needs to be on the field at all times.
As a rabid Longhorns fan, I could not agree more. Mack has said that both QB's will play (makes me cringe to type that). However, it's clear that this is Vince's team and if he plays like I've seen in the practices, he won't be coming off the field.
Agreed. Vince needs to play. It's the best thing for him and more importantly, for the Horns.
Last season, he rushed 135 times for 998 yards (7.4 ypc) and 11 TDs. The great thing, from a future-NFL perspective, is that the Horns weren't prone to running the option. THese rushes from Young were either busted plays, bootlegs, or QB draws for the most part.
Yes, he did have rushes of the type you describe, but the vast majority of his caries came on the "Zone-read" play, where Vince would just read the DE, keying on him to determine if he would then cut upfield or hand off. This play was incredibly effective, but as the season wore on, Greg Davis went to it too often and teams began to prepare for it better. They couldn't stop it, but they contained it better. It seems to me he'd be unstoppable in a run/pass option rollout play....and you could use this to set up a lot of other stuff. Sadly though...sigh...it is rarely seen.

FWIW, if we hypothesize that SD has a top 10 pick and NYG's is a top 10 as well, they could draft Barron (or whatever OL looks best), get a DE/DT to help their D and WIN games for once, and then pick up someone like Braylon Edwards in the 2nd.

He's a poor man's Mike Vick with a below-average arm.And I'm not saying that because I'm an Aggie... I'm a Longhorn fan (when we're not playing them) and I just don't see the passing game as a strong point.Now, he might make a fantastic WR or CB.

He's a poor man's Mike Vick with a below-average arm.
OK. How would you know? He only threw it against your boys 8 times last year, completing like 5 for 100 yards. That's because he only needed to throw 8 times. If I remember right Vince ran for almost 100 yards and Benson ran all OVER aggy for almost 300 that day.

I'll be sure to remind him of what you said, though, right before he takes aggy to the woodshed, again.

He's a poor man's Mike Vick with a below-average arm.Now, he might make a fantastic WR or CB.
You're thinking of that Iowa State Cyclone QB that graduated a couple years ago, who just might become the top QB if Hasselbeck gets injured.Or maybe the QB from Indiana who is going to become a top WR for Pittsburgh when Plaxico leaves.

I don't think you get it.Young will be head and shoulders above anyone in his class. You don't just pass on a player like Young. If the Chargers (or whoever it may be) don't need a QB they receive the farm in a trade down because Vince Young will be the consensus #1. To anyone who hasn't, treat yourself and make a point to watch him play. He may be raw but what he does on the field looks effortless. He gallops like a gazelle. He has unrivaled arm strength and throws a beautiful ball. Kid stands to re-reevolutionize the QB position. He is Mike Vick². P.S. I know they don't mean much but his high school #'s are wood inducing to fantasy stat geeks like myself:
Coached by Ray Seals at Madison High … a three-year starter at quarterback who accounted for 7,624 yards from scrimmage during his career … tabbed Parade‘s and Student Sports’ National Player of the Year after accounting for 3,819 yards and 59 TDs as a senior … also named the 2001 Texas 5A Offensive Player of the Year … listed as The Sporting News’ top high school prospect … helped lead team to a 14-1 record, 50.3 points per game and a berth in the Texas 5A Division II state semifinals … completed 131-of-224 passes for 2,545 yards and 35 TDs (only four INTs) as a senior … also rushed for 1,274 yards (on 116 carries) and 24 TDs that year … completed 18-of-30 passes for 400 yards and five TDs and rushed for 92 yards (on 18 carries) and a TD against Austin Westlake in the 2001 state semifinals … claimed the Pete Dawkins Trophy after leading the West squad to a 26-6 victory in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl …

If Young has such a great arm, why did UTexas constantly try to run him last year instead of letting him throw to a hoss like Roy Williams?I mean, seriously, is it coaching fallacy? The way Mack runs that offense, it looks like he's trying to kill Benson and Young on the ground while proven stud WRs like Williams waste their talent blocking DBs. :2cents:

If Young has such a great arm, why did UTexas constantly try to run him last year instead of letting him throw to a hoss like Roy Williams?I mean, seriously, is it coaching fallacy? The way Mack runs that offense, it looks like he's trying to kill Benson and Young on the ground while proven stud WRs like Williams waste their talent blocking DBs. :2cents:
He has a great arm.He was not a great passer.Big difference.Colin

Fla\/\/ed.San Diego needs a WR, not a QB.  They will take Mike Williams.End of story.
I don't think you get it.Young will be head and shoulders above anyone in his class. You don't just pass on a player like Young. If the Chargers (or whoever it may be) don't need a QB they receive the farm in a trade down because Vince Young will be the consensus #1. To anyone who hasn't, treat yourself and make a point to watch him play. He may be raw but what he does on the field looks effortless. He gallops like a gazelle. He has unrivaled arm strength and throws a beautiful ball. Kid stands to re-reevolutionize the QB position. He is Mike Vick². P.S. I know they don't mean much but his high school #'s are wood inducing to fantasy stat geeks like myself:
Coached by Ray Seals at Madison High … a three-year starter at quarterback who accounted for 7,624 yards from scrimmage during his career … tabbed Parade‘s and Student Sports’ National Player of the Year after accounting for 3,819 yards and 59 TDs as a senior … also named the 2001 Texas 5A Offensive Player of the Year … listed as The Sporting News’ top high school prospect … helped lead team to a 14-1 record, 50.3 points per game and a berth in the Texas 5A Division II state semifinals … completed 131-of-224 passes for 2,545 yards and 35 TDs (only four INTs) as a senior … also rushed for 1,274 yards (on 116 carries) and 24 TDs that year … completed 18-of-30 passes for 400 yards and five TDs and rushed for 92 yards (on 18 carries) and a TD against Austin Westlake in the 2001 state semifinals … claimed the Pete Dawkins Trophy after leading the West squad to a 26-6 victory in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl …
Mr. Lee, I saw him play. Against OU. Verdict? ehhh....I have a feeling that most who are pimping him are Longhorn homers or Austin residents. I can't confirm that, but it is a hunch.The guy played a handful of games last year, Texas got smoked in their bowl game and we're ready to annoint this guy as the next Mike Vick? Pass the bong, boys.I'd like to see him hit the broad side of a barn while the pocket collapses before I am ready to call him a lock for the NFL's top pick.IMO, Mike Williams is a can't miss prospect. He's displayed his wares and he hasn't had a bad game. Ever. Not once. As well, his team hasn't had too many bad games, something Young can't say right now. Win first, then tell me about how great this kid is. Until then, it's hype. Plain and simple.

Well, that's kind of a problem then, isn't it?

If Young has such a great arm, why did UTexas constantly try to run him last year instead of letting him throw to a hoss like Roy Williams?I mean, seriously, is it coaching fallacy?  The way Mack runs that offense, it looks like he's trying to kill Benson and Young on the ground while proven stud WRs like Williams waste their talent blocking DBs. :2cents:
What! :shock: you need to be able to pass as a QB! You mean, it's not just about who can throw longest, but it has to hit the WR! :eek:

If Young has such a great arm, why did UTexas constantly try to run him last year instead of letting him throw to a hoss like Roy Williams?I mean, seriously, is it coaching fallacy?  The way Mack runs that offense, it looks like he's trying to kill Benson and Young on the ground while proven stud WRs like Williams waste their talent blocking DBs. :2cents:
No. Lots of guys have great arms and need work on actual "quarterbacking". Look at Carson Palmer...COlin

If Young has such a great arm, why did UTexas constantly try to run him last year instead of letting him throw to a hoss like Roy Williams?
Exactly.Mock was by far the better passer last year and probably technically will be again this year but look for a big improvement from Young in that capacity. Too bad he has no WR's to throw to. I can see it now.. TE Bo Scaife 1000yds & 15 Td's.. :popcorn:

No. Lots of guys have great arms and need work on actual "quarterbacking". Look at Carson Palmer...COlin
What about him? He hit quite a few targets between the eyes in college, did he not? The same can't be said (yet) about Young.If he's as great as he's being made out to be, why hasn't Chance Mock transferred?

What about him? He hit quite a few targets between the eyes in college, did he not? The same can't be said (yet) about Young.If he's as great as he's being made out to be, why hasn't Chance Mock transferred?
Mock wanted to transfer and was talked out of it by Brown. Colin

Mock wanted to transfer and was talked out of it by Brown. Colin
So what am I missing? What on earth could Brown tell Mock that would get him to stay? If I'm backing up Vick II and I've got a great arm and a good shot at an NFL check one day, no WAY am I going to stick around. No thank you. There are a hundred DI teams that I could transfer to if that were the case.On the flip side, if I'm Brown and I have Vick II, what on earth do I need Mock for? Insurance in case Vick II goes down? Obviously, but at what point is that fair to this young man? "Hey, kid...you're great, but you unless my prize QB goes down, you'll be holding a clipboard here."Something ain't right in the hen house, boys. If Young is all that, then Mock would have left long ago. I mean, wouldn't you???

Mock was by far the better passer last year
His rating was over 130--not as high as Mock's--but his completion percentage was 58.7 to Mock's 54.6.What's really amazing, though, is the bottom line. On the 72 drives started by Mock, Texas scored 21 TDs and 5 FGs (36%).

On VY's 88 drives, Texas scored 41 TDs and 5 FGs (52%).

That's really all I need to know in that comparison.

Its very simple: If he stays, he gets to throw to receviers at Pro-day and is a late round pick to the NFL.If he goes to a D1 school, he's got to sit out a year.If he goes to a 1AA, he either has to be really good or not have a pro-career.COlin

Its very simple: If he stays, he gets to throw to receviers at Pro-day and is a late round pick to the NFL.If he goes to a D1 school, he's got to sit out a year.If he goes to a 1AA, he either has to be really good or not have a pro-career.COlin
well, I know I would sever a small toe to get another year of college, but maybe Mock doesn't find coeds, parties and an absence of the real world as splendid as I did.Further, I'd much rather lose a year and earn a higher draft slot and more money.But again, I'm not Mock. Stax would be gone.

Users who are viewing this thread