What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest “New Wave” songs 1. Everybody Wants to Rule the World-Tears for Fears (1 Viewer)

76. “Don’t Stand So Close to Me” The Police (1980, from Zenyatta Mondatta

https://youtu.be/KNIZofPB8ZM

I’m forced to deduct a few points for a bit of pretentiousness- “Just like the old man in that book by Nabokov”- ooh you guys are so well read! Lolita, hey I’m impressed! Lol

Other than that a flawless classic of the time period. I had this high school teacher who complained bitterly about it too: “In my day we were all about I Want to Hold Your Hand. You guys are Don’t Stand So Close to Me!” She blamed Reagan. 
Nothing i dont love about the Police and they are the defiinitive New Wave band in my book. Elevated a genre? check. Skill & originality in instrumentation? checkcheck. Made pastel partygirls kickdance til they stank? checkmate. mr timmy could have posted copsongs 1-100 and i couldnt have argued.

75. “Pretty in Pink” The Psychedelic Furs (1981, from Talk Talk

https://youtu.be/RuWmsg-ihLg

This is the first recording from 1981. The band re-recorded the song in 1985 for the John Hughes movie, at which point it became a huge hit for them. But I’ve always preferred the original. 

She turns herself round and she smiles and she says, this is it that’s the end of the joke” such an iconic lyric of the 80s...
Furs are my New Wave fetish. Think i bought 2 of their albums and rarely listened to either of em. The reason i bought em is that every time one of their songs comes on the radio, i get a cognac glow and thrill to rasp along.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure I’ve heard it on there. Trans-Europe Express and Tour de France quite often. 
well, i don't subscribe to it, but ... if any kinda "Wave" gig is reaching back to the Watergate era, Kraut Rock deserves a seat, and "Autobahn" at the wheel - seeing as it actually broke here (NYC area), and got decent airplay on 'NEW FM, of all places (they were classic rock Stalinists, 'cept for the perfesser, Scott Muni ... who was the Deej who introduced it, iirc). 

Not sure I’ve heard it on there. Trans-Europe Express and Tour de France quite often. 
I screwed up a bit anyway -- "Love is the Drug" was a 1975 release. Going to fix that upthread.

If they play "Autobahn", that would beat "Love is the Drug" by a few months (May vs. September 1975 ).

I screwed up a bit anyway -- "Love is the Drug" was a 1975 release. Going to fix that upthread.

If they play "Autobahn", that would beat "Love is the Drug" by a few months (May vs. September 1975 ).
the Kraftwerk album debuted in November '74, which is why i mentioned it ... pretty sure it was played (unedited) back then on 'NEW  :shrug:

Not a fan of Pretty in Pink - the song or the movie.
horrible flick, and, i'll know i'll be in the minority here (i think?), but Ducky was one of the most obnoxious little twits ever to trouble daylight ... talk about "punchable face"  :boxing:   i was rooting for Henke/Spader/Steph to kick his ####in' whiny ### all up n' down that hallway ... but, yeah, Hughes wasn't gonna play that ####, was he?

ps - obnoxious twit, yes ... but nowhere NEAR the level of that tvvat waffle Bueller.

I did like in Pretty in Pink how the rich kids like Steff & Blaine were drinking them new-fangled fancy JUICE BOXES with their lunch. The losers had to make do with school milk :lol:  

horrible flick, and, i'll know i'll be in the minority here (i think?), but Ducky was one of the most obnoxious little twits ever to trouble daylight ... talk about "punchable face"  :boxing:   i was rooting for Henke/Spader/Steph to kick his ####in' whiny ### all up n' down that hallway ... but, yeah, Hughes wasn't gonna play that ####, was he?

ps - obnoxious twit, yes ... but nowhere NEAR the level of that tvvat waffle Bueller.
Holy #### - I haven't been privy to this hot take (that I remember).   Those be fightin' words though.  

Not sure if any of you listen to Lust For Lists, but Andy McCluskey and Jon Cryer have either hosted or co-hosted the show and talk a lot about John Hughes’ musical choices. The story of If You Leave is particularly interesting imo.

Holy #### - I haven't been privy to this hot take (that I remember).   Those be fightin' words though.  
oh, i've bandied it about up on this bored a number of times ...

lemme put it this way: KERMIT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  Bueller

74. “Bye Bye Love” The Cars (1978, from The Cars

https://youtu.be/iR6GDGoiO8Y

Let’s get this out of the way first: 

1. Yes it’s a New Wave band. 

2. Yes these are New Wave songs even when Benjamin Orr is the vocalist. 

3. It’s also a classic rock band. It bridged the gap. I would be just as comfortable having a Cars song on a playlist with Heart and Tom Petty as I would on a playlist with Elvis Costello and the Psychedelic Furs. Fits either way. 

The Cars debut album is, in any genre, one of the greatest rock albums in history. There are no weak tunes on it, but “Bye Bye Love” is one of the very best. 

74. “Bye Bye Love” The Cars (1978, from The Cars

https://youtu.be/iR6GDGoiO8Y

Let’s get this out of the way first: 

1. Yes it’s a New Wave band. 

2. Yes these are New Wave songs even when Benjamin Orr is the vocalist. 

3. It’s also a classic rock band. It bridged the gap. I would be just as comfortable having a Cars song on a playlist with Heart and Tom Petty as I would on a playlist with Elvis Costello and the Psychedelic Furs. Fits either way. 

The Cars debut album is, in any genre, one of the greatest rock albums in history. There are no weak tunes on it, but “Bye Bye Love” is one of the very best. 
Love it, although I would have had it much higher since IMHO, it's their best song.

ETA: considering the New Wave trend was emerging as they were, it's disingenuous to have called them a classic rock band at the time.

I would have liked to see The Cars and The Everly Brothers do a "Bye Bye Love" medley/mash-up.

Love it, although I would have had it much higher since IMHO, it's their best song.

ETA: considering the New Wave trend was emerging as they were, it's disingenuous to have called them a classic rock band at the time.
They (at least Ocasek) were also about the visual aspect of their music/personae, and a 'modern' one at that, so while they are on the fringe of rock, they definitely should be considered New Wave. Hope I'm not spotlighting, but this song (I think it's the keyboard) and Driver's Seat immediately transport me back to that period in time. It was a sound that was gone too soon for me.

FWIW, this is my favorite Cars song, and I oddly hope it's the only one that appears on this list.

Yeah, they weren't getting any AOR spins on the channels I listened to in 1978. I don't think I heard them on classic rock radio until the late 90s.

Yeah, they weren't getting any AOR spins on the channels I listened to in 1978. I don't think I heard them on classic rock radio until the late 90s.
pretty sure 'NEW spun them from jump ... can any other NY area guys from that era corroborate/refute?

pretty sure 'NEW spun them from jump ... can any other NY area guys from that era corroborate/refute?
Was NEW an AOR channel? Like, Bad Company, Heart, etc...?

The AORs in my neck of the woods were clearly split from channels like HFS, who played the new wavers & punks.

Was NEW an AOR channel? Like, Bad Company, Heart, etc...?

The AORs in my neck of the woods were clearly split from channels like HFS, who played the new wavers & punks.
yeah, as i said earlier, they were damn near Stalinist in their rotations, save for Scott Muni - who did his "Things From England" and "British Biscuits" schtick as way of shoehorning in the newer/edgier stuff ... not much room for the Yanks, given those parameters (or bands like Kraftwerk, etc).

as i'm typing this i see the responses from Zamboni, and ... nah, i am pretty damn sure 'NEW broke them. 

Users who are viewing this thread