What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest “New Wave” songs 1. Everybody Wants to Rule the World-Tears for Fears (1 Viewer)

Drum machines have feelings also. Echo was #1, but don't sleep on Roland, the drummer for Big Black.
Speaking of small venues, DM and drum machines.... I saw them at a smallish spot with the most disinterested, empty crowd you could imagine. I remember the drum machine on stage and singer fella hopping around..one of the worst live shows I've seen- and I am and was a fan.

Speaking of small venues, DM and drum machines.... I saw them at a smallish spot with the most disinterested, empty crowd you could imagine. I remember the drum machine on stage and singer fella hopping around..one of the worst live shows I've seen- and I am and was a fan.
I’m still pissed at them for canceling, not postponing, in lieu of Hurricane Irma’s arrival in Tampa. That being said, I saw them twice in Milwaukee. First time was the Violator tour with Nitzer Ebb opening. Great show. The second time (Exciter tour I believe) was the same venue in Milwaukee and was less memorable. I was pretty close to seeing the 101 tour in Chicago, but I was broke at the time. 

Last edited by a moderator:
77. “Everything Counts” Depeche Mode (1983, from Construction Time Again)

https://youtu.be/1t-gK-9EIq4

A classic song for the Bernie Sanders fans out there! Only these guys could find a way to dance to the prospect of corporate greed. And the use of various world instruments is great. These guys were masters. 
Love hearing this live, while the whole crowd sings along.

If it were my list DM would 11 songs in the top 10

76. “Don’t Stand So Close to Me” The Police (1980, from Zenyatta Mondatta

https://youtu.be/KNIZofPB8ZM

I’m forced to deduct a few points for a bit of pretentiousness- “Just like the old man in that book by Nabokov”- ooh you guys are so well read! Lolita, hey I’m impressed! Lol

Other than that a flawless classic of the time period. I had this high school teacher who complained bitterly about it too: “In my day we were all about I Want to Hold Your Hand. You guys are Don’t Stand So Close to Me!” She blamed Reagan. 

I like Don't Stand So Close to Me, but unlike a lot of people, I preferred their music on the last two albums when they moved away from their original punk and new wave roots and got a little more arty.  

I suspect we’ll see more from the Police, as I don’t think of “Don’t Stand...” as among the pantheon of their best songs. But maybe that’s just me.

I suspect we’ll see more from the Police, as I don’t think of “Don’t Stand...” as among the pantheon of their best songs. 
ditto ... and, ditto. 

interesting pick for them - i was never a huge fan, but they certainly do go much deeper than this one. 

i'd say i don't consider them New Wave, but i covered that earlier, so ... we just gonna play 'em where they lay. 

Well...the song IS about a Lolita-esque relationship. 🤷‍♂️
nahhh, i agree with Timbo here - sure, it's the pieces' source, but Sting did/does/always will strike me as a pretentious bloke ... talented as ####, but not averse to sniffing his own flatulence, as it were. 

fun times!

78. “The Killing Moon” Echo & The Bunnymen (1984, from Ocean Rain)

https://youtu.be/LWz0JC7afNQ

These guys always intrigued me because I felt their melodies were a little more complex than the typical New Wave band. Like so many others of the era they emerged suddenly with a string of radio hits, and then disappeared just as quickly. Though several songs were quite listenable, IMO “The Killing Moon” was the best of their efforts. 

77. “Everything Counts” Depeche Mode (1983, from Construction Time Again)

https://youtu.be/1t-gK-9EIq4

A classic song for the Bernie Sanders fans out there! Only these guys could find a way to dance to the prospect of corporate greed. And the use of various world instruments is great. These guys were masters. 
Everything counts is not better than the killing moon. I have never heard either of them until today.

In fact, I will add that Everything counts may be the worst song in your countdown yet

75. “Pretty in Pink” The Psychedelic Furs (1981, from Talk Talk

https://youtu.be/RuWmsg-ihLg

This is the first recording from 1981. The band re-recorded the song in 1985 for the John Hughes movie, at which point it became a huge hit for them. But I’ve always preferred the original. 

She turns herself round and she smiles and she says, this is it that’s the end of the joke” such an iconic lyric of the 80s...

75. “Pretty in Pink” The Psychedelic Furs (1981, from Talk Talk

https://youtu.be/RuWmsg-ihLg

This is the first recording from 1981. The band re-recorded the song in 1985 for the John Hughes movie, at which point it became a huge hit for them. But I’ve always preferred the original. 

She turns herself round and she smiles and she says, this is it that’s the end of the joke” such an iconic lyric of the 80s...
There are several Fur songs I like more than this, but still a good pick.

There it is. Seeing them April 15th. I have a soft spot for the remake of this song for the Pretty in Pink soundtrack (which is pretty good). Definitely not my favorite Psych Furs song, but sure. 

ETA: Believe it or not, my first real date was seeing this movie. Her name was Rosalind.  :wub:

Butler's  voice on "PiP" strikes the pitch-perfect grizzled rasp  ... it's a pretty raw vocal take, and i love how that accentuates the dreamy melody. 

i always thought i liked other PFurs tunes better ... but i really don't - it may be a 4 way tie for first, and "PiP" is in the foto. 

I suspect we’ll see more from the Police, as I don’t think of “Don’t Stand...” as among the pantheon of their best songs. But maybe that’s just me.
The best thing going for "Don't Stand" is that it has not been overplayed to death like the rest of their catalog. 

Users who are viewing this thread