What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1970 #1. Bridge Over Troubled Water (1 Viewer)

55. Black Sabbath “Iron Man” (from Paranoid)

https://youtu.be/5s7_WbiR79E

Disclaimer: I really hate the opening of this song: “I AM IRON MAN”- so silly. But it gets better after that, and since we ARE talking about the most famous guitar riff in rock history (except perhaps for “Smoke on the Water”?) a certain amount of respect is deserved. 
Unfortunately for me, as a UCLA Bruins football fan, this tune has been used my entire life by the Bruin Marching Band as a celebration of UCLA’s defense- whenever the Bruins make a big tackle, a sack or interception, “Iron Man” is played. But since the UCLA defense has historically been either uniformally dreadful or non-existent, this hasn’t been such a great association in my mind. 

Disclaimer: I really hate the opening of this song: “I AM IRON MAN”- so silly. But it gets better after that, and since we ARE talking about the most famous guitar riff in rock history (except perhaps for “Smoke on the Water”?) a certain amount of respect is deserved. 
Unfortunately for me, as a UCLA Bruins football fan, this tune has been used my entire life by the Bruin Marching Band as a celebration of UCLA’s defense- whenever the Bruins make a big tackle, a sack or interception, “Iron Man” is played. But since the UCLA defense has historically been either uniformally dreadful or non-existent, this hasn’t been such a great association in my mind. 
Love that the put Larry David in the background images.

Purple Haze

The opening chord to A Hard Day's Night

The list goes on...

Last edited by a moderator:
The riff is a monster riff. It's well known. Absolutes are just tough to come by in music, that's all, really. Calling something the "greatest" or "most famous" allows debate. You're the perfect foil, tim. I hope you take the debate in the spirit it is intended to be in.

Over Smoke on the Water?

love me some Sabbath, unfortunately Iron Man hasn’t aged well.   
I can’t agree with this. IMO it sounds pretty much the same as it did in 1970. (And I was 5 in 1970, and “Iron Man is one of the very few songs on this list that I’m pretty sure I remember hearing in 1970.) 

"Smoke On The Water" is one of the ringtones on my Mom's iPhone. It's an organ that goes "Do do do. Do do do do. Do do do. Do do." I suspect "Smoke On The Water" has a rightful claim to at least be up there.

La la la. La la la la. La la la. La la.

56. Van Morrison “Caravan” (from Moondance)

https://youtu.be/YYJJ55oD02A

Gypsy Robin, Sweet Emma Rose, tell me everything I need to know 

One of those songs where the lyrics are meaningless to me but I love singing them because they roll off the tongue so well. The latter is particularly true of nearly every song off this album, but this is one of the special ones. Famously sung live with The Band in The Last Waltz. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFzwQfBnWWI

I am sure everyone reading in this thread is aware of the Badfinger story. Every time I hear their music I am shaken by all the tragedy that happened to this band.

wait, wut?

you know all about the tragedies behind Badfinger ...but you didn't know "What Is Life" was George Harrison or that the Stones played "Jumpin Jack Flash?"

what the hell are you tryin' sell fella????

Any time a band seriously mentions Valhalla as a mystical reference and we give that reference credence, hipsters everywhere hoist their PBRs and justify their mulleted existence among us.

YOU WON'T BURN THIS KORAN, MAN!

Wait mullets are hip now?
They're not hip, they're hipster, circa 2010. Like the web site that used to declare "LOOK AT THIS ####### HIPSTER" and was simply a series of photos of hipsters living in Baltimore and Brooklyn. Totally different animal than actually being hip.

Last edited by a moderator:
wait, wut?

you know all about the tragedies behind Badfinger ...but you didn't know "What Is Life" was George Harrison or that the Stones played "Jumpin Jack Flash?"

what the hell are you tryin' sell fella????
Binky, Binky, you got it all wrong,see. I knew about "Jumpin' Jack Flash" by the Stones because I posted it as a contender for "most famous guitar riff" or whatever Tim was saying for "Iron Man".

Users who are viewing this thread