What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1970 #1. Bridge Over Troubled Water (1 Viewer)

timschochet said:
52. James Gang “Funk #49” (from James Gang Rides Again

https://youtu.be/U_qHU_6Ofc0

Weren’t we just discussing great guitar riffs? Here is a Joe Walsh entry, and it holds up to the others pretty well IMO. In a year filled with great rock songs, this one still gets noticed even after all this time. 
 I wasn't sure there was a pattern to this list, but

I KNOW WHERE YOU'RE GOING

50. Van Morrison “Crazy Love” (from Moondance

https://youtu.be/OIaKy1vM9hs

I can feel her heartbeat for a thousand miles

Yeah the heavens open every time she smiles 

One of the most beautiful love songs ever written. Sublime. 
Bah.  Mungo Jerry made a generation smile.  How many people smile over Crazy Love?  

OK.... gimme a break.... I've had a few.  

Bah.  Mungo Jerry made a generation smile.  How many people smile over Crazy Love?  

OK.... gimme a break.... I've had a few.  
Mungo Jerry makes me think

If her Daddy's rich
Take her out for a meal
If her Daddy's poor
Then just do what you feel

Ba da da ba da da ba da da

Have a drink have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

How rich? What kind of meal? How poor? What if I feel like something besides whipped cream Twister™? How many drinks? Where do you drive to? Should I bring my metal detector? What else would I find?

#### like that. Deep ####, you know?

Mungo Jerry makes me think

If her Daddy's rich
Take her out for a meal
If her Daddy's poor
Then just do what you feel

Ba da da ba da da ba da da

Have a drink have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

How rich? What kind of meal? How poor? What if I feel like something besides whipped cream Twister™? How many drinks? Where do you drive to? Should I bring my metal detector? What else would I find?

#### like that. Deep ####, you know?
You're over-thinking it, chief.  It's a song about the simple pleasures of summer.  As for what kind of meal....  Why the 99, of course.  The best deal in town.  

Last edited by a moderator:
51. The Grateful Dead “Casey Jones” (from Workingman’s Dead

https://youtu.be/_x2m6i4KFqg

Trouble ahead, trouble behind, and you know that notion just crossed my mind

Not one of their songs that ever got a ton of radio play because…well you know why not. But it’s an absolute classic. 
:lmao:

It was probably THE most played Dead song through the 70s & 80s on AOR/CR channels, and for the exact reason you seem to think it wasn't. 

49. Stephen Stills “Love the One You’re With” (from Stephen Stills

https://youtu.be/HH3ruuml-R4

There’s a girl right next to you 

And she’s just waiting for something to do

How can you argue with this logic? (And why would you want to?) Stephen Stills offers the best argument ever for cheating on your significant other: hey man the eagle’s flying with the dove, right? Might as well…

72. Lennon/Ono with the Plastic Ono Band “Instant Karma” (released as single) 

https://youtu.be/7-SSa-D1i-M

Lennon’s first post/Beatles single must have felt liberating to him, and it’s positive message (you’re a superstar! Well right you are!) gave listeners hope that the high quality of his music would continue well into the next decade. Unfortunately it didn’t; though there were some high moments thereafter, overall John Lennon had trouble reaching this level again throughout the rest of his career. 

When/if you get to one I particularly love (The Long and Winding Road is not one), I'm going to post my write-up of it from my threads.  This was my #2 favorite post-Beatles John song.  Here you go.

"Setting aside my unreasonable notion that a composition could be responsible for actual human actions, this gets my vaunted #2 spot on the John list because it’s freaking awesome.  OK, maybe I can break it down better than that.  First of all, it’s AN ALAN WHITE SHOWCASE!  Hmmm, doesn’t have the same ring.  But that drumming is madness and not something I’d have expected from White based on my other knowledge of him (I don’t do Yes, so I’m talking about other Beatles collaborations).  Truly phenomenal.  I wouldn’t want to rank a song so highly, though, if it were dependent upon the contributions of a non-Beatle, and this isn’t.  John’s vocal is Twist-And-Shouty goodness, absolutely shredding it.  And although I don’t believe in karma, I think the lyrics are the most interesting of his overtly political tomes, with their tongue-in-cheek “get yourself together” criticisms combined with the optimism of “we all shine on” or the exhortation that we aren’t here to live in pain and fear.  It’s a decidedly positive and communal view of where we can go, unlike the more individual directives of, for instance, “Give Peace A Chance.”  In that sense, it’s more reassuring that if we all work together as one, we could accomplish something, though this idea was presented here in a less polished fashion than “Imagine.”  The more optimistic lyrics are complemented by the upbeat vocal and accompaniment – unlike many John songs of this vintage, he sounds like he’s having fun.

The backstory of this song is crazy, with John having gone from concept to composition to recording to release in…get this…10 days.  It reached #3 on the US charts and was the first “solo” Beatle recording to sell a million copies.  It wasn’t exactly solo, of course, since George played guitar and electric piano and provided backing vocals.  George and…everyone else on the planet.  In typical Spector-y fashion, a billion and one musicians were brought in to work on the track, from mainstays Voormann, White, and Preston, to a chorus of uncredited backing vocals that included awful-person Allen Klein.  To that Spector added his usual echo and reverb effects and wanted to add strings, too, but John deemed the song complete without them, thank goodness.  I believe strings would have detracted from the raw, primal nature of the song that makes it one of my top 10.

John and Yoko did a lot of promotion for this song.  They cut off their long hair and presented it to a Black power activist as some sort of signal of a “new beginning” for 1970.  And they did a series of TV performances of the song, including this little number that features Yoko soundlessly knitting with a Kotex pad taped to her face as a blindfold."

61. George Harrison “What Is Life” (from All Things Must Pass

https://youtu.be/fiH9edd25Bc

Upon leaving the Beatles, George Harrison grabbed up some of his old friends and released a triple album. The first 5 sides had actual songs; the last side was the band fooling around. And it was still a masterpiece. “What Is Life” is one of its best moments. 

My #3 post-Beatles song from George, and also my #3 post-Beatles song from any of the lads.  Since this was my overall #3, I was a little tired by the time I got to this write-up.  I could have done better.

"George sings soul!  In 1969, George was working on Billy Preston's record That's The Way God Planned It, and while driving to one of the sessions, he came up with this song, which he originally intended to offer to Preston for recording, as he did with "My Sweet Lord."  Instead he ended up keeping this classic for himself, which must have been the way God planned it.  Not sure what I could say about this song even if I had more time, as it's nearly perfect from the beginning fuzzy guitars through the build to the cacophony at the end.  I even love the use of horns in this one.  The word "nearly" comes from the place you might expect - the huge Wall of Sound makes George too lost in the song for me.  Still it's one of my favorite songs from anyone, ever."

iH9edd25Bc

Upon leaving the Beatles, George Harrison grabbed up some of his old friends and released a triple album. The first 5 sides had actual songs; the last side was the band fooling around. And it was still a masterpiece. “What Is Life” is one of its best moments. 
X

Sides 1-4 were real songs. Sides 5-6 were the jams. 

Now there are Sides 7-16, too!  :excited:  

What Is Life is great stuff.  All Things Must Pass has so many good songs. I think it could have been whittled down a little, as it feels a bit padded, but I get he had been repressed in the Beatles and wanted to get all of those songs out there.  

Instant Karma is okay, but I am someone who feels like the magic in Lennon's music was mostly gone once the Beatles broke up.  Makes me wonder if he needed George Martin a lot more than McCartney to produce his songs and get the best out of them.  For me, when looking at who had the best music of the two in between the period between the Beatles breakup and Lennon's death, McCartney lapped Lennon several times, IMO. 

Instant Karma is okay, but I am someone who feels like the magic in Lennon's music was mostly gone once the Beatles broke up.  Makes me wonder if he needed George Martin a lot more than McCartney to produce his songs and get the best out of them.  For me, when looking at who had the best music of the two in between the period between the Beatles breakup and Lennon's death, McCartney lapped Lennon several times, IMO. 

every fiber of my being resists acquiescing to this point but musically, it's open for consideration. culturally, it's still not close and not only cuz i was rolling my eyes at what McCartney was doing in Oct 1980 when i was actually writing Letters to the Editor on what was lost with Lennon's assassination. to be honest, though, i was more a fan of what Double Fantasy meant than how it sounded.

then, it really didn't matter. John was 'bigger than Jesus', singlehandedly moving the leading edge AND reporting from the front lines while he did it. DF was him quitting the world for his kid, working on himself for his wife and letting us watch & listen while he looked in the mirror at his changing face. that boldness and honesty opened the door for a lot of dads to actively love their kids and forge real partnerships with their mates when they might not have otherwise. so the sound of the music of that was more than the clicks & decibels, y'now? - even if the songs were on the prosaic side sonically. i guarantee you that the hope in Beautiful Boy or nakedness of Woman struck me more powerfully than any cleverclever la de da that ever came from his old partner, even tho i'm now a gigantic fan.

i'm sad that's lost on you, tho i completely understand how it would be. sometimes, it's about more than the notes (at which McCartney always surpassed Lennon) but i have to believe John would have brought life to us with similar urgency for decades more if he'd had the chance. then, you would know.

every fiber of my being resists acquiescing to this point but musically, it's open for consideration. culturally, it's still not close and not only cuz i was rolling my eyes at what McCartney was doing in Oct 1980 when i was actually writing Letters to the Editor on what was lost with Lennon's assassination. to be honest, though, i was more a fan of what Double Fantasy meant than how it sounded.

then, it really didn't matter. John was 'bigger than Jesus', singlehandedly moving the leading edge AND reporting from the front lines while he did it. DF was him quitting the world for his kid, working on himself for his wife and letting us watch & listen while he looked in the mirror at his changing face. that boldness and honesty opened the door for a lot of dads to actively love their kids and forge real partnerships with their mates when they might not have otherwise. so the sound of the music of that was more than the clicks & decibels, y'now? - even if the songs were on the prosaic side sonically. i guarantee you that the hope in Beautiful Boy or nakedness of Woman struck me more powerfully than any cleverclever la de da that ever came from his old partner, even tho i'm now a gigantic fan.

i'm sad that's lost on you, tho i completely understand how it would be. sometimes, it's about more than the notes (at which McCartney always surpassed Lennon) but i have to believe John would have brought life to us with similar urgency for decades more if he'd had the chance. then, you would know.
Nothing is lost on me. I am full aware of the importance and cultural significance of John Lennon, but that doesn't make me enjoy his solo work.  Maybe you do, but I don't listen to music and think, "hmmmm, how important is this?" I think, "do I like or do I not?"  

I do think that as much as you want to romanticize Double Fantasy, which does have a few songs I like, it was flopping badly until Lennon was tragically murdered less than a month after its release, and then of course everyone bought it and all of a sudden many who were trashing it loved it.  His death made that album much more than what it was initially.  Granted, that wasn't the first, and it won't be the last, album to come out of the gate slow and find its audience later rather than sooner, but we'll never know how that would have turned out had he lived. 

45. Frida Payne “Band of Gold” (released as a single) 

https://youtu.be/daxiMb0rITA

“Band of Gold” was the revenge of Holland-Dozier-Holland. Having left Motown because they believed Berry Gordy wouldn’t pay them enough, HDH started their own record label, Invictus, wrote this song and sent little known Frida Payne to the top of the charts in 1970. The revenge was short-lived as Gordy successfully crushed the new opposition: a ruthless tale that I’ve only read snippets about and would love to read a book about someday. Still, we are left with this great soul classic from one of the greatest songwriting teams in pop music history. 

“Band of Gold” was the revenge of Holland-Dozier-Holland. Having left Motown because they believed Berry Gordy wouldn’t pay them enough, HDH started their own record label, Invictus, wrote this song and sent little known Frida Payne to the top of the charts in 1970. The revenge was short-lived as Gordy successfully crushed the new opposition: a ruthless tale that I’ve only read snippets about and would love to read a book about someday. Still, we are left with this great soul classic from one of the greatest songwriting teams in pop music history. 
It's not a bad song, but it doesn't seem worthy of #45.

I'm not even sure it should make the Top 100 in such a stellar year.

Is this the first song ever written about Erectile Dysfunction?

I love this song. I remember it from childhood.

I just typed a long thing about Lennon and said, "ah, #### it." Perhaps that's how much he changed things; that I don't even bother to care or fight any Boomerisms smoldering about him. It's just going to get me the only screaming deacon element of Boomerism -- that when you insult their pop culture.

44. The Grateful Dead “Truckin’” (from American Beauty)

https://youtu.be/pafY6sZt0FE

Robert Hunter wrote the lyrics to this counterculture masterpiece, mostly about a drug bust in New Orleans. But Hunter doesn’t play or sing on the original recording. Of course the band recorded this live a LOT during their long strange trip…

Nothing is lost on me. I am full aware of the importance and cultural significance of John Lennon, but that doesn't make me enjoy his solo work.  Maybe you do, but I don't listen to music and think, "hmmmm, how important is this?" I think, "do I like or do I not?"  

I do think that as much as you want to romanticize Double Fantasy, which does have a few songs I like, it was flopping badly until Lennon was tragically murdered less than a month after its release, and then of course everyone bought it and all of a sudden many who were trashing it loved it.  His death made that album much more than what it was initially.  Granted, that wasn't the first, and it won't be the last, album to come out of the gate slow and find its audience later rather than sooner, but we'll never know how that would have turned out had he lived. 

Just wanted to point out that, while you're correct overall that the album garnered more sales and positive reviews after John's death, to say it was "flopping badly" isn't true.  The first single from the album had reached #6 on the charts, and the album climbed to #11, before the murder.

44. The Grateful Dead “Truckin’” (from American Beauty)

https://youtu.be/pafY6sZt0FE

Robert Hunter wrote the lyrics to this counterculture masterpiece, mostly about a drug bust in New Orleans. But Hunter doesn’t play or sing on the original recording. Of course the band recorded this live a LOT during their long strange trip…
I've been to Buffalo and always think of this song when I remember my time there. I took the bar examination there, went up there the week before partied up with the Winter Olympics and hockey at the Anchor Bar until two nights before the exam (I was an alcoholic and strange party cat) and then stayed an extra two days because I got snowed in, really. But I had a freaking blast. I was disappointed to go home to Connecticut. You really can breathe a little bit in Buffalo.

I met a stripper there. Her credo, admittedly. "To get paid as much for as little as possible." Interesting generational sum-up right there.

[scooter] said:
Hey, don't sell Leroy short. If you need him to get just one reference, he'll get three.
Lol. How true.

Like I said a long time ago, Leroy is multivariate calculus when it comes to picking up what people are laying down. I'm saying that it was there, and I missed it. It's all on me.

We kissed after taking vows
But that night on our honeymoon
We stayed in separate rooms

I wait in the darkness of my lonely room
Filled with sadness, filled with gloom
Hoping soon
That you'll walk back through that door
And love me like you tried before

Seems like those lyrics are referring to a man who is either impotent or gay.

We kissed after taking vows
But that night on our honeymoon
We stayed in separate rooms

I wait in the darkness of my lonely room
Filled with sadness, filled with gloom
Hoping soon
That you'll walk back through that door
And love me like you tried before

Seems like those lyrics are referring to a man who is either impotent or gay.
Got it. Unless something got in the way emotionally, or he physically was unable to consummate, you may have hit on it.

Those are weird lyrics, for sure. I never really examined them. I was more concerned with the "Now that you're gone...all that's left is a band of gold, all that's are the dreams I hold, and a band of gold" or something like that.

Doing it from memory.

43. Leon Russell “A Song for You” (from Leon Russell

https://youtu.be/ZvazuyF6eXw

Leon Russell was really a strange dude, yet very accomplished. In 1970 he was best known for producing Joe Cocker’s “Mad Dogs and Englishmen” tour, yet Leon also had time to release a solo album which included one of the greatest love songs in the history of pop music: “A Song for You”. 
I had a very difficult time placing this tune: one the one hand it’s absolutely brilliant, gorgeously timeless, and though there have been countless covers (my favorite is probably Herbie Hancock and Christine Aguilera from a few years ago) almost none are better than the original. It’s truly one of the best songs of this or any other year. On the other hand, it was obscure upon release and got virtually no radio play or recognition. So where to place it? I came up with #43 and I’m willing to take criticism in either direction. 

Users who are viewing this thread