What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1973 #1. Karn Evil 9, 1st Impression, Part 2 (1 Viewer)

20. The Marshall Tucker Band “Can’t You See” (from The Marshall Tucker Band)

My top 20 for the year of 1973 kicks off with one of the greatest southern rock songs of all time. Written and sung by lead guitarist Toy Caldwell, who was not the band’s usual vocalist, this is simply a classic of the genre.

My top 20 for the year of 1973 kicks off with one of the greatest southern rock songs of all time. Written and sung by lead guitarist Toy Caldwell, who was not the band’s usual vocalist, this is simply a classic of the genre.
One of my favorite songs of all-time.

High quality song - not sure I'd put it above many of the others already listed, but won't argue it's prominent placement in the countdown.

Yeah, that's strange wording. There are a lot of incredible artists who aren't in my top 5 of all time, and I still think they're incredible.
It was an odd cutoff to determine greatness. Led Zeppelin is not in my Top 5, but I still think they're amazing.
OK, fine. Poor choice of words on my part. I was seeing a lot of gushing about EJ in this thread and I don't get it. Imo he has made a lot of drivel since his mid 70s peak.

19. Faces “Ooh La La” (from Ooh La La)

It’s a little ironic that the best song ever from this band is sung not by Rod Stewart, or even Ronnie Lane, but by its composer, future Rolling Stone Ron Wood. He wishes that he knew then what he knows now…

Yeah, that's strange wording. There are a lot of incredible artists who aren't in my top 5 of all time, and I still think they're incredible.
It was an odd cutoff to determine greatness. Led Zeppelin is not in my Top 5, but I still think they're amazing.
OK, fine. Poor choice of words on my part. I was seeing a lot of gushing about EJ in this thread and I don't get it. Imo he has made a lot of drivel since his mid 70s peak.
I agree. But that has nothing to do with how great he was in 1973.

I agree. But that has nothing to do with how great he was in 1973.
I think he had a few good songs in the 80s and his album with Leon Russell in the 2000s is very good - but yes we’re taking about his peak years here - GBYBR is considered his best album by most.

It’s a little ironic that the best song ever from this band is sung not by Rod Stewart, or even Ronnie Lane, but by its composer, future Rolling Stone Ron Wood. He wishes that he knew then what he knows now…
Agree to disagree, but for best Small Faces song ever I think a Steve Marriott number deserves that honor.
ETA - never mind, I see you said best Faces song. I always get tripped up by the Faces/Small Faces lineups. I find the distinction confusing.

Last edited:

Agree to disagree, but for best Small Faces song ever I think a Steve Marriott number deserves that honor.
I regard Small Faces as a different band.

I regard Small Faces as a different band.
Yeah I noticed my slip-up after I posted. Sorry, carry on.

18. Ike & Tina Turner “Nutbush City Limits” (from Nutbush City Limits)

Despite the dysfunctional nature of this couple (because Ike was a wife beating rapist and drug addict) they made some damn good rock and roll together. This song in particular highlights Tina’s vocals which are as good as any rock singer at any time. And Ike’s funk infused backing is terrific.

Despite the dysfunctional nature of this couple (because Ike was a wife beating rapist and drug addict) they made some damn good rock and roll together. This song in particular highlights Tina’s vocals which are as good as any rock singer at any time. And Ike’s funk infused backing is terrific.
I don’t say this lightly, but this song is a phenomenon in Australia. The buzzfeed article says it all.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/clareaston/the-world-doesnt-know-about-nutbush-in-oz
I knew the song but when i went to nightclubs in the 90s, everybody hit the floor when this song came on and did the dance. A generational thing I thought. In the 2010s kids still know this one. Its crazy.

In 2015, dancers in the Victorian town of Horsham set the first Guinness World Record for the number of people doing the Nutbush, with 254 dancers. On 19 October 2017, students at Rivermount College in Yatala, Queensland doubled this record with 522 dancers.[5] On 12 July 2018 the record was broken again at The Big Red Bash, a music festival situated beneath the Big Red Dune on the edge of the Simpson Desert in outback Queensland.[6] Crowds lined up to take part, dancing along to "Nutbush City Limits" as 1,719 people took part in the challenge.[7] On 16 July 2019, a new record of 2,330 people performed the Nutbush at the Big Red Bash, breaking the previous year's record.[8] On 7th July 2022, a new record of 4,087 people performed the Nutbush at the Big Red Bash, breaking the previous record.

I don’t say this lightly, but this song is a phenomenon in Australia. The buzzfeed article says it all.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/clareaston/the-world-doesnt-know-about-nutbush-in-oz
I knew the song but when i went to nightclubs in the 90s, everybody hit the floor when this song came on and did the dance. A generational thing I thought. In the 2010s kids still know this one. Its crazy.
That’s fascinating. Had no idea.

75. Bob Seger “Turn the Page” (from Back in ‘72)

So this gets a little confusing- the original album version of this song was from 1973, and then there was a live version also from 1973, and then another live version from 1977. It was the last version from 1977 which became a classic rock radio standard over the years, though sometimes the original would get played and sometimes the original live version. So I’m goi g with the original here.

I’ve known some Seger fans who regard this as his best song, and apparently it’s a big deal when he plays it in concert (he always does.) I like it fine, never thought it was anything remarkable though.
Love, love, love this song. I will never get tired of it and I'll never skip it when it comes on the radio.
Distant friends of friends of relatives of mine had this as their wedding song.

31. Bob Marley & The Wailers “I Shot the Sheriff” (from Burnin’)

The live version linked here shows how great a performer Marley was, along with the rest of his band. Timeless, terrific music.

31. Bob Marley & The Wailers “I Shot the Sheriff” (from Burnin’)

The live version linked here shows how great a performer Marley was, along with the rest of his band. Timeless, terrific music.
Not my quote for

He was a vile human, but Turner was a hell of a bandleader. If I recall correctly, it was his band playing on “Rocket 88”, which many consider the first rock and roll record.

And Tina is one of a kind

Saw them at Pine Knob with Pure Prairie League the summer before my senior year. Served with a good ole boy from Spartanburg who had no shortage of stories about Toy Sr and his three boys. So much tragedy for one family. Listening to them this morning after catching up with the thread, man alive they wrote fun songs.

17. Steve Miller Band “The Joker” (from The Joker)

Prior to this song, Steve Miller had a really good blues band, with a strong local following and some good songs that rarely got on the radio, like”Space Cowboy” (which he references here.) Then along came this hit and everything changed; they became one of the biggest bands of the mid 70s.

“The Joker” is evocative to me of my teenage years, particularly the beach during the summer months.

Prior to this song, Steve Miller had a really good blues band, with a strong local following and some good songs that rarely got on the radio, like”Space Cowboy” (which he references here.) Then along came this hit and everything changed; they became one of the biggest bands of the mid 70s.

“The Joker” is evocative to me of my teenage years, particularly the beach during the summer months.
Not a fan honestly. Also a bit pompous to throw in “pompatus” in the lyrics.

I like the song but it feels like this should have finished in the 80s, the highest. It doesn’t deserve a place amongst the elite songs of the year - but it’s not my list, and it’s a song loved by many.

I like the song but it feels like this should have finished in the 80s, the highest. It doesn’t deserve a place amongst the elite songs of the year - but it’s not my list, and it’s a song loved by many.

I feel the same way. It's a nice song and all, but Steve Miller's hits are to truly sublime music what Hartford, CT, is to a culturally rich city. And I say that because growing up in Hartford meant a lot of Steve Miller on WCCC.

On a more fun and pleasing note, I've been listening to "Ooh La La" since the Rushmore soundtrack in 1999 or so and never knew Ronnie Wood sang on the track. I always assumed it was Rod Stewart.

The things you learn...

The Steve Miller greatest hits album was a staple of just about every college keg party, so there’s definitely a long-standing fatigue factor for me with all his 70s hits.

Steve Miller’s attempts to write hip lyrics are embarrassing. He makes Randy Bachman look like Gil Scott Herron.

Pompous and Steve Miller just go together. I remember watching his induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Based on his speech and attitude you would have thought he was the greatest guitar player to ever live and that he invented rock and roll. This song and the horrid "Abracadabra" are neck and neck for my least favorite and most overplayed SMB song.

Pompous and Steve Miller just go together. I remember watching his induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Based on his speech and attitude you would have thought he was the greatest guitar player to ever live and that he invented rock and roll. This song and the horrid "Abracadabra" are neck and neck for my least favorite and most overplayed SMB song.
Hey, I got my Backgammon Galaxy player name from his song, "The Joker"... "Midnight Toker".

16. Gladys Knight & The Pips “Midnight Train to Georgia” (from Imagination)

There is no way to separate this soul classic from the live video linked, That is because you need the sublime dance moves by The Pips to get the full experience. Everything about this is legendary.

There is no way to separate this soul classic from the live video linked, That is because you need the sublime dance moves by The Pips to get the full experience. Everything about this is legendary.
After the Steve Miller misfire, you have the countdown back on track. (y)
No pun intended.

Top 5 of the decade for me. A perfect record

15. Bruce Springsteen “4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)” (from The Wild, the Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle)

Springsteen’s best early song is an expression of love not only to a special girl but to a special time and place in his life.

14. Stevie Wonder “Living For The City” (from Innervisions)

Stevie Wonder’s most political statement song is also one of his very best. This guy was simply one of rock music’s greatest composers (amd performers as can be seen by the live version linked.)

13. Led Zeppelin “Over The Hills And Far Away” (from Houses of the Holy)

The first 90 seconds or so of this song is some of the greatest music Led Zeppelin ever did: it begins with Page playing a 6 string acoustic guitar, then he adds to that a 12 string acoustic guitar, then Plant’s initial vocals are added. It’s a sublime listening experience; as good as it gets.

Then we get the rest of the song. And it’s a good, hard driving Led Zeppelin rock song. Great to listen to, nothing wrong with it, I’m not likely to turn it off. Yet somehow it never rises to the level of that amazing opening.

The first 90 seconds or so of this song is some of the greatest music Led Zeppelin ever did: it begins with Page playing a 6 string acoustic guitar, then he adds to that a 12 string acoustic guitar, then Plant’s initial vocals are added. It’s a sublime listening experience; as good as it gets.

Probably my favorite Led Zeppelin song.

12. Dobie Gray “Drift Away” (released as a single)

A loving tribute to rock music which was simply one of the best and most delightful songs of 1973. Well composed and well performed, just a great song (and one of my all time favorites.)

12. Dobie Gray “Drift Away” (released as a single)

A loving tribute to rock music which was simply one of the best and most delightful songs of 1973. Well composed and well performed, just a great song (and one of my all time favorites.)
You’re on a roll. This, “Midnight Train To Georgia”, and “Can’t You See” are all-timers.

My rendition of this while watching Train to Busan with my teenage daughter earned a world-class eye roll. I think it was the hand motion with the “whoo-whoo!!” that really sold it as the baseball team got eaten.

I can vividly remember one random night in the late 1980s when karaoke was new. Was at the Parkway Tavern in Monroeville, PA (not far from Pittsburgh). A lady and two guys got up in stage. One of the guys came over to our table and left a box of tissues and told us “you’re going to need these”. Then they sang this song (well).

I can’t remember how or when I got to work today or what I had for lunch. But I still remember that over 30 years later.

14. Stevie Wonder “Living For The City” (from Innervisions)

Stevie Wonder’s most political statement song is also one of his very best. This guy was simply one of rock music’s greatest composers (amd performers as can be seen by the live version linked.)
One of the most important and powerful songs of its time - or any time. Brilliance.

That West German Musikladen audience in the clip above didn't know what hit them. ETA: IIRC, that is Michael Sembello (who hit it big several years later with "Maniac") on guitar/keyboards.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread