What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1973 #1. Karn Evil 9, 1st Impression, Part 2 (1 Viewer)

34. Iggy & The Stooges “Search and Destroy” (from Raw Power)

Earlier I wrote that punk rock began with the New York Dolls, but it also began right here with Iggy Pop. The Stooges’ records were loud, raw rock and roll heavily influenced by MC5’s Kick Out the Jams, who themselves were heavily inclined by the Velvet Underground’s White Light White Heat. “Search and Destroy” moves even further along the same path that would lead to the New York Dolls, Ramones, and Sex Pistols.
Iggy is from nearby Ann Arbor, definitely has the MC5 sound to it. Never really got Iggy long ago, I do now.

33. Bob Dylan “Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door” (from Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid)

Dylan’s main contribution to the Sam Peckinpah film, in which he also acted (if you can call it that.) Its a three chord, repetitive tune, and the melody may have been stolen from Neil Young’s “Helpless”. And yet, for all that, it’s a classic. The first comment in the YouTube is: “if this song isn’t played at my funeral, I’m not going.”

Dylan’s main contribution to the Sam Peckinpah film, in which he also acted (if you can call it that.) Its a three chord, repetitive tune, and the melody may have been stolen from Neil Young’s “Helpless”. And yet, for all that, it’s a classic. The first comment in the YouTube is: “if this song isn’t played at my funeral, I’m not going.”
I don't think it's Bob's style to lift from other artists - he's usually the liftee - but the songs are indeed very similar musically.

32. Bruce Springsteen “Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) ” (from The Wild, the Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle)

I think this the song that first garnered Springsteen national attention. Like so many of his early classics, it’s a bit lengthy and self indulgent, but still great to listen to.

It is one of Dylan's best but the cover by Guns'N'Roses is one of the worst ever.

The thing I never understood was if Bob shot the sheriff but not the deputy, who shot the deputy? Was there a second gunman, like with JFK?

29. The Rolling Stones “Angie” (from Goat’s Head Soup)

Keith Richards did almost all of the heavy lifting here with Mick providing only a few lyrics. The beautiful piano is by the legendary Nicky Hopkins. IMO, this is the Stones’ second greatest ballad, behind only “Wild Horses”.

Keith Richards did almost all of the heavy lifting here with Mick providing only a few lyrics. The beautiful piano is by the legendary Nicky Hopkins. IMO, this is the Stones’ second greatest ballad, behind only “Wild Horses”.
I’m not much of a Stones fan but they do have some great songs. This is one of the them.

Didn’t you already pick this? I remember cutting and pasting what Wikkid had to say about the song for @rockaction. Was that a different thread?

ETA: never mind rock just
Mentioned the song when you too 100 Years Ago.

26. Grand Funk Railroad “We’re an American Band” (from We’re an American Band)

More kick *** rock and roll here. For some reason this tune didn’t stay popular on classic rock radio over the years and I’m not sure why. Lyrics are a little silly but who cares?

35. Elton John “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” (from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road)

It never ceases to amaze me that, per everything I’ve read, Bernie Taupin would write the lyrics to these songs first and then Elton John would compose the melody. This is reverse of every other composer duo I’ve read about (at least, the ones who clearly divided these duties, like Rodgers and Hammerstein.)

In any event, this is another classic from this duo.
Good point on how unique that songwriting partnership was.
I love EJ, and Yellow Brick Road is far and away my favorite album ever. But to me after he ditched the Elton John Band (the first time) and mostly Taupin too, things just weren't the same for me. Some nice songs here and there, but the albums as a whole were pretty meh.

25. Elton John “Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding” (from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road)

The closest Elton ever got to progressive rock. Over 10 minutes of simply amazing music.
I'll wait on the rest of the list but 25 seems ridiculously low for this amazing song. Keep up the good work Tim

24. Hall & Oates “She’s Gone” (from Abandoned Luncheonette)

I think this is this duo’s best ever song, and one of the best pop tunes of the year. The ultimate in blue-eyed soul.

25. Elton John “Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding” (from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road)

The closest Elton ever got to progressive rock. Over 10 minutes of simply amazing music.
This would be #1 for me and it's a crime to have it this low. :oops:

Possibly my favorite song ever.
same. Top 5 for me.

I'll wait on the rest of the list but 25 seems ridiculously low for this amazing song. Keep up the good work Tim
I’ll jump on the bandwagon and say it would be top 10 easy for me, but it’s all subjective.

I think this is this duo’s best ever song, and one of the best pop tunes of the year. The ultimate in blue-eyed soul.
Gotta add the cheesy cringeworthy promo video:

23. Aerosmith “Dream On” (from Aerosmith)

Steven Tyler’s best composition and best vocals. And one of the greatest rock ballads of all time.

I’m aware that many people will think that this song, like “Funeral for a Friend”, is ranked too low and that both of these belong somewhere in the top 5 or so for the year. All I can say is bear with me. The top 25% of this list was exceedingly difficult to rank as the quality of songs is REALLY high and almost all of them are legendary as well.

27. ZZ Top “La Grange” (from Tres Hombres)

Some of the best ever blues rock, straight from the heart of Texas. Nothing fancy here, just great music.
Is this the only song from the album on the list? There's at least one song that's so much better imo - albeit La Grange is far more popular.

Some of the best ever blues rock, straight from the heart of Texas. Nothing fancy here, just great music.
Is this the only song from the album on the list? There's at least one song that's so much better imo - albeit La Grange is far more popular.
“Jesus Just Left Chicago” was #53. But the whole album is terrific.

“Jesus Just Left Chicago” was #53. But the whole album is terrific.
I like “Beer Drinkers and He’ll Raisers” such a bad *** riff.

Gotta add the cheesy cringeworthy promo video:

They HAD to be on ludes when they filmed that.

Steven Tyler’s best composition and best vocals. And one of the greatest rock ballads of all time.

I’m aware that many people will think that this song, like “Funeral for a Friend”, is ranked too low and that both of these belong somewhere in the top 5 or so for the year. All I can say is bear with me. The top 25% of this list was exceedingly difficult to rank as the quality of songs is REALLY high and almost all of them are legendary as well.
When we were taking about what might be the first power ballad and I said there was one from this year that might be it, this is what I was referring to.

21. Pink Floyd “Time” (from The Dark Side of the Moon)

For Pink Floyd’s greatest ever songs, I have a couple of tiers. In the top tier is “Comfortably Numb”, “Wish You Were Here”, and a song that remains on this list. In the tier directly below that is “Have A Cigar”, “Mother”, “Pigs”, and “Time”.

So yeah I think pretty highly of this song.

Way too low IMO.

Way too low IMO.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I can remember listening to the radio way back when. Aerosmith's Dream On was one of the biggest hits of that year.

Lots of hot takes in this thread, so I may as well join in. I don't get the worship for Elton John. Sure he has some great songs, but he isn't in my top 5 musicians of all time. Tim mentioned Stevie Wonder peaking and I think Elton did in the mid- 70s too. After that there's been decades of mediocre material.

Last edited:
26. Grand Funk Railroad “We’re an American Band” (from We’re an American Band)

More kick *** rock and roll here. For some reason this tune didn’t stay popular on classic rock radio over the years and I’m not sure why. Lyrics are a little silly but who cares?
One of the all-time trash rock classics. Runt produced this. Donnie Brewer sings the living hell out of it.

Grand Funk wasn’t “good” in any kind of way, really. But they played every song like it was the end of the world. I’ve heard 100s of bar bands more talented but God I love these guys.

21. Pink Floyd “Time” (from The Dark Side of the Moon)

For Pink Floyd’s greatest ever songs, I have a couple of tiers. In the top tier is “Comfortably Numb”, “Wish You Were Here”, and a song that remains on this list. In the tier directly below that is “Have A Cigar”, “Mother”, “Pigs”, and “Time”.

So yeah I think pretty highly of this song.
One of Gilmour's very best solos, which is obviously saying a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread