What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 2006 Steelers: The best ever? (1 Viewer)

Gatorman

Supreme Elite Maximum Tier
This years steelers must be considered one of the best ever based on the accomplishment of beating a #3, #2, and both #1 seeds in making their championship run. In fact, only the undefeated 1972 Dolphins could be considered better and that is because they were perfect.

For those who discount the dolphins because "who did they beat?" then the steelers (2005/6) should be the best evah cause they beat the best

For those who don't go by that, then the dolphins should be the best evah cause they never lost.

Perhaps the best postseason run in memory, but no way this team is better than several recent champs (2004 Pats), let alone all-time.

I think it would be more impressive if most of the games didn't seem tainted.

They knock out Palmer in the first game, which of course you have to believe was an accident no matter how dirty they've played in the past. They almost give up the Indy game three times in a row, but get outchoked by Manning. Then this Superbowl will always have the questions about the refs.

It's too bad, because what they did was really pretty special when you put it that way.

Not at all. Most people discount Miami's 72 team with the "who did they beat" moniker. Well this team beat the 3 best teams in their division and the best team in the other.So it is either Miami's undefeated team or this Steeler team for you dolphin haters. Pick one.

If by "Steelers", you include the officiating crew as part of the team, then I agree. Last night, they were simply unbeatable.

Perhaps the best postseason run in memory, but no way this team is better than several recent champs (2004 Pats), let alone all-time.
This captures it pretty well. The run from a team looking like they were not going to make the playoffs to winning the Superbowl was historic and extremely impressive. The win in the Superbowl was one the least impressive in superbowl history. Seattle was an obviously flustered team at keys points in the game and officials had a shaky performance at best.

Best SB team? Not close. Best playoff run? without a doubt considering winning three games on the road against the #1, #2 and #3 has NEVER been done. You can argue how they got it done but the fact is that they got it done in hostile environments and won the Superbowl.

Years from now they won't be talking about the penalties, Palmers injury, Ben's shoestring tackle, etc. The synopsis of '06 will be that the Steelers did what no other team in the history of the NFL has done which is beat the top 3 teams in their division and went on to win the Superbowl.

Right now I can't think of a worse performance by a winning team in the Super Bowl. Not to say that there wasn't, but I'm having trouble coming up with one.

Best SB team?  Not close.  Best playoff run?  without a doubt considering winning three games on the road against the #1, #2 and #3 has NEVER been done.  You can argue how they got it done but the fact is that they got it done in hostile environments and won the Superbowl. 

Years from now they won't be talking about the penalties, Palmers injury, Ben's shoestring tackle, etc.  The synopsis of '06 will be that the Steelers did what no other team in the history of the NFL has done which is beat the top 3 teams in their division and went on to win the Superbowl.
I think the Patriots after their 1st Superbowl win were in a similiar spot. A team that seemed to have a lot of things that bounced in thier way and were good enough to take advantage every single time. If the Steelers get to the Superbowl again and win the next couple of years then I agree. If they don't, the Steeelers will regarded as an opportunist winner, like a NC state or Villinova in college basketball.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great playoff run (although their Super Bowl performance was shaky at best). And one of the worst champions in recent history.

Right now I can't think of a worse performance by a winning team in the Super Bowl.  Not to say that there wasn't, but I'm having trouble coming up with one.
Easy, and I hate to say it, but Super Bowl V Colts victory over Dallas 16-13. It was called the blooper bowl for good reason. Overall, the two teams commited a Super Bowl record 11 combined turnovers in the game.

Right now I can't think of a worse performance by a winning team in the Super Bowl.  Not to say that there wasn't, but I'm having trouble coming up with one.
Easy, and I hate to say it, but Super Bowl V Colts victory over Dallas 16-13. It was called the blooper bowl for good reason. Overall, the two teams commited a Super Bowl record 11 combined turnovers in the game.
Good one. That was before I entered sports consciousness.

Great playoff run (although their Super Bowl performance was shaky at best). And one of the worst champions in recent history.
Agree that the superbowl performance wasn't great but I've watched the Steelers play a lot of good/great playoff games in the past only to lose due to a bad special teams play, missed FG, horrendous secondary coverage, etc. I'd much rather them play an average/poor game where they made the plays needed to win as opposed to great game and lose due to freak play which has happened several times between the 90's and now.

If by "Steelers", you include the officiating crew as part of the team, then I agree. Last night, they were simply unbeatable.
:goodposting: I was not for either team this year in the SB. I thought the officiating was terrible. Phantom holding calls, push offs and no calls on a horse collar tackle makes me wonder if the NFL wanted the Steelers to win it.

Poor play on the Seahawks side of the ball makes me wonder if they were hungry enough.

By far it was one of the worst Super Bowls that I ever watched. The only way you were happy is if you were, or are, a Steelers fan.

If the Steelers would have played the Colts or Broncos like they played last night, they would have lost. Timing is everything.

Incredible playoff run, yes, but the best Super Bowl winner ever? Not even close. In fact, I would say they are one of the weakest SB champs of the last 20 years (since I have been regularly watching football). To me, the strongest Super Bowl winners ever are teams that were undoubtedly were one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the regular season and then had a dominant postseason, as opposed to a 6 seed getting hot at the right time and running the table.

However, the Steelers were the best team in this postseason and won the Super Bowl and that is what matters the most.

Good one. That was before I entered sports consciousness.
That was also the only SB in history where a player from the losing team won the MVP (Chuck Howley), and Jim O'Brien 32-yard game-winner (last play of the game) stood as the only game winning FG in SB history until Adam Vinatieri did it.

As just about every Pittsburgh fan would probably agree, they weren't even the best STEELERS team of all time.

Incredible playoff run, yes, but the best Super Bowl winner ever? Not even close. In fact, I would say they are one of the weakest SB champs of the last 20 years (since I have been regularly watching football). To me, the strongest Super Bowl winners ever are teams that were undoubtedly were one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the regular season and then had a dominant postseason, as opposed to a 6 seed getting hot at the right time and running the table.

However, the Steelers were the best team in this postseason and won the Super Bowl and that is what matters the most.
I agree with this, although if the Steelers had made the playoffs as a 13-3 division winner like they would have had Tommy Maddox not given 2 games away, they wouldn't be looked at as the huge underdogs that made a great run.They were 11-5, but they were a much better team than that and probably the best #6 seed there's every been.

A great playoff run and deserving champion, but not one the greatest teams of all time. Probably the most impressive playoff run of all time, though.

The 2006 Steelers are one of the worst Super Bowl winners ever...ever!

They were a #6 seed and even winning the Super Bowl does not change that. 7-5 during the regular season at one point....PLEASE!

This is more proof that the NFL is pretty watered down now and most teams could not hold a candle to the Miami and Pittsburghs of the 70s, Niners of the 80's and Cowboys of the 90's. I even have to mention the Pats who did manage to win 3 out of 4 Super Bowls...that was a dynasty and done in impressive fashion but I still think the Pats are a distant 4th or 5th on the rung of dynastys.

Didn't pick up a 1st down in the 1st quarter...Rothy was 9 of 22...1 big run and 1 gadget play...best evah? HAH!

Best ever??????? Pass that #### you're smoking. ANY of the Steelers' 70's teams, Niners' 80 teams, Bears of 85, Cowboys of the 90's, New England's past 3 title teams would beat their ###. Well........with those referees from last night I don't know if anyone could beat them.

This I agree with. The run in the playoffs was the most impressive IMO. The team in general, not so much. Several other SB winners where better IMO.

They were a #6 seed and even winning the Super Bowl does not change that. 
You do realize they had Charlie Batch under center for a few games this year, right? You think that had anything to do with their poor seeding? (Never mind that they beat arguably the four best teams in the league in pretty convincing fashion in back-to-back-to-back-to-back games).Edit to add: Obviously the 2006 Steelers are not the best ever, and as others have noted they aren't even the best Steelers team ever. Still, this talk about Pittsburgh somehow being the worst champion in recent years is absurd. The 2001 Patriots were far worse.

I`d :thumbdown: gladly watch the 01 Pats/Rams S Bowl over that DISASTER last night, any day of the week. Man, what a horror show!!

Still, this talk about Pittsburgh somehow being the worst champion in recent years is absurd. The 2001 Patriots were far worse.
I am not sure I agree with. The Patriots beat a much better team in the Super Bowl and looked much better in doing it, too.

This years steelers must be considered one of the best ever based on the accomplishment of beating a #3, #2, and both #1 seeds in making their championship run. In fact, only the undefeated 1972 Dolphins could be considered better and that is because they were perfect.

For those who discount the dolphins because "who did they beat?" then the steelers (2005/6) should be the best evah cause they beat the best

For those who don't go by that, then the dolphins should be the best evah cause they never lost.
Don't you know that between all of the luck, bad officiating, injuries, colds and statistical analysis that Pittsburgh should of never won a single playoff game?

The people who are calling this team one of the worst Super Bowl teams in history are as nuts as the ones who don't acknowledge the fact that this Steelers team was far better than a normal #6 seed. Two losses came in OT with Maddox under center, and they still finished with the same record in the same division as the #3 seed.

A less than stellar performance in the Super Bowl doesn't detract from the team that got there in the first place. They aren't one of the best ever, but they certainly aren't one of the worst, either.

Best ever? Obviously not. '72 Dolphins have that locked up, even IF another team duplicates it. They did it first, and the feat will have lasted for a long, long time.

#2? I wouldn't agree there, either. It's absolutely amazing what they did -- first #6 seed to even make it to the Super Bowl, let alone win it. To win away, away, away, and then dominate the Super Bowl is unbelieveable. But I don't think this team is one of the top Super Bowl teams ever. Excellent team, yes. One of the better Super Bowl teams? Yes.

:no:

I think it would be more impressive if most of the games didn't seem tainted.

They knock out Palmer in the first game, which of course you have to believe was an accident no matter how dirty they've played in the past. They almost give up the Indy game three times in a row, but get outchoked by Manning. Then this Superbowl will always have the questions about the refs.

It's too bad, because what they did was really pretty special when you put it that way.
How's the sand feel? Getting much in your ears?

To win away, away, away, and then dominate the Super Bowl is unbelieveable. But I don't think this team is one of the top Super Bowl teams ever.
I didn't think the Steelers dominated in the game last night. Last nights game was a :tfp:

Users who are viewing this thread