What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 2014 NFL Draft All-Overrated Team: Alabama QB AJ McCarron (1 Viewer)

I thought there was already a thread.

As Jon pointed out, I get why Dalton is in trouble, but why do people think McCarron might be valuable? He's got a lot of weapons, so there's that.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Browns attempted to trade for Bengals No. 2 QB A.J. McCarron before Tuesday's deadline.

Per Schefter, a deal was "close," but couldn't be finalized. It's the first we've heard of McCarron since August, where his name was a mainstay in trade rumors. The Browns are casting a wide net at quarterback, but continue to lack decisiveness as they search for an answer under center. McCarron is headed for restricted free agency next offseason.

Related: Browns

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Browns believed they completed their acquisition of Bengals QB A.J. McCarron before Tuesday's deadline, but that the league would not allow it to go through.

Schefter reports the Browns notified the NFL of the deal "moments too late," and that the league would not budge. ESPN Clevelad's Tony Grossi went as far as to report that the Browns were "celebrating" McCarron's acquisition and "forgot to call in the deal before the deadline." That seems a bit hard to believe, though we really want to. The Cincinnati Enquirer reports the Browns were ready to part with second- and third-round picks. The Browns have lost control of their quarterback narrative, letting their rivals and media paint them as hapless in their pursuit of an answer under center.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Oct 31 - 5:27 PM

What does this say about upcoming QB draft class that at one point everyone was drooling over. Teams with top 2 picks don’t seem to be too excited to use the picks on QBs

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
A.J. McCarron said he wanted the "opportunity" to start in Cleveland.

McCarron was all but traded to the Browns at the deadline, but the paperwork was not filed in time. "I think I would have had some success playing for Hue," McCarron said. "I would have loved the opportunity to go up there and get them a win, more than one win." While he was specifically talking about the Browns, it is pretty clear McCarron is just tired of being a backup. Whether he is deemed a restricted or unrestricted free agent at a hearing on February 15, McCarron will likely do everything he can to get out of Cincinnati this offseason.

Source: AL.com 

Jan 16 - 9:27 AM

McCarron can’t play a lick. If he’d played at about any other college in the country he wouldn’t even be in the league.

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 1h1 hour ago

Bengals’ QB AJ McCarron won his grievance against Cincinnati and now will be an unrestricted free agent, per source.

Man, Bengals still have to be pissed about that deal with Cleveland not going through. An extra 2nd and 3rd would be nice. 

so who will overpay for him?

I mean ultimately the upside deal for him should be something like Glennon got.

Less starting spots out there than he might think given how many QBs will go in round 1.

I wonder if the Colts might be a sleeper pick here if Luck's shoulder really is still a mess.

-QG

It seems weird that the McCarron free agency ruling is happening now, rather than years ago. The relevant events all happened in 2014, and I'd think that the NFL would want these sorts of things to be settled then so that McCarron, the Bengals, and potential trade partners all know in advance how many years are left on his contract. It would've been pretty nuts if the Browns had traded for him and then learned a few months later that actually he didn't have the contract they thought he did; he's an unrestricted free agent.

so who will overpay for him?

I mean ultimately the upside deal for him should be something like Glennon got.

Less starting spots out there than he might think given how many QBs will go in round 1.

I wonder if the Colts might be a sleeper pick here if Luck's shoulder really is still a mess.

-QG
I’d go with Brisset every day of the week.

I can't see why a team would be interested in him as a starter - at most, I imagine he'll be brought in to compete for a job. A few of the teams that are QB needy have high picks and may as well just go with a rookie. Then you have guys like Cousins, Keenum, Bradford, Teddy, Tyrod....maybe even Foles. I don't think McCarron would be preferred over any of those guys. It's just hard to see any real market for him. 

I can't see why a team would be interested in him as a starter - at most, I imagine he'll be brought in to compete for a job. A few of the teams that are QB needy have high picks and may as well just go with a rookie. Then you have guys like Cousins, Keenum, Bradford, Teddy, Tyrod....maybe even Foles. I don't think McCarron would be preferred over any of those guys. It's just hard to see any real market for him. 
agreed

-QG

Agreed.  But I'd sure take him as a backup for an older QB. Pittsburgh possibly?  Or perhaps along with a rookie for Arizona.

He will get the Mike Glennon treatment. Sign a decent size contract to be the placeholder until your rookie QB is ready. I could see maybe the Cardinals signing him and drafting Josh Allen. 

He will get the Mike Glennon treatment. Sign a decent size contract to be the placeholder until your rookie QB is ready. I could see maybe the Cardinals signing him and drafting Josh Allen. 
Mike Glennon is a better QB than McCarron though. He at least had some positive play on tape. McCarron has been bad, and only got worse the more he played. He's a lesser backup QB. I'd rather spend less and bring in a Ryan Fitzpatrick type, if the goal is as a placeholder QB. 

Mike Glennon is a better QB than McCarron though. He at least had some positive play on tape. McCarron has been bad, and only got worse the more he played. He's a lesser backup QB. I'd rather spend less and bring in a Ryan Fitzpatrick type, if the goal is as a placeholder QB. 
I don't think much of McCarron has played enough to say whether he is better or worse than anyone. He has thrown 14 total passes the last two years but it seems like there is interest in him around the NFL. He was solid in 2015 when he had so start 3 games. 66% completion percentage, 6 TDs, 2 Ints and a respectable 7.2 ypa. 

Last edited by a moderator:
One team head coach and owner like him enough to bear hug him before and after a game in November and offered a 2nd and 3rd round draft picks for him and fired a general manager because he could not complete the deal.

Hue Jackson hugging opposing backup QB A.J. McCarron before November game

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/28/hue-jacksons-pregame-embrace-with-a-j-mccarron-raises-eyebrows/

Hue Jackson's pregame embrace with A.J. McCarron raises eyebrows

....Jackson ran up to McCarron, who he coached with the Bengals, and gave him a giant clenching hug. McCarron was expecting the handshake but Hue would have none of that.

...Browns owner Jimmy Haslam followed Jackson in greeting the would-have-been Cleveland quarterback.

After the game, Jackson again sought out McCarron for another hug, 
NFL scout A.J. McCarron game manager

I talked to a scout who believes McCarron's ceiling is that of a solid game manager. (He has topped the 200-yard mark only once.) Is that worth a three-year, $45 million contract, including $18.5 million guaranteed? That's what Mike Glennon got last year as a free agent, and you can bet someone will pay McCarron at least that much. As for the Jets, it makes more financial sense to re-up with McCown, who probably will command less than $12 million on a one-year deal.

Neither McCown nor McCarron is a surefire answer to the long-term quarterback problem. 

I don't think much of McCarron has played enough to say whether he is better or worse than anyone. He has thrown 14 total passes the last two years but it seems like there is interest in him around the NFL. He was solid in 2015 when he had so start 3 games. 66% completion percentage, 6 TDs, 2 Ints and a respectable 7.2 ypa. 
I guess that is fair, but also an argument I'm not a fan of. I've never thought much of McCarron and nothing has happened to change my mind, other than one stupid man tried to trade a multiple picks for a guy who likely wouldn't have been an upgrade at all. 

That Bengals offense in 2015 was an elite offense. Great line, 2 pro bowl weapons, and an assortment of ancillary talent. Andy Dalton looked like an all-pro that year.  There is no situation as nice as that one, that is looking for a QB.

That Bengals offense in 2015 was an elite offense. Great line, 2 pro bowl weapons, and an assortment of ancillary talent. Andy Dalton looked like an all-pro that year.  There is no situation as nice as that one, that is looking for a QB.
Cleveland could be better than that O next year. Add in Barkley and some solid draft picks and assume Gordon is clean and boom, all they need is a coach. 

The issue i have with McCarron is that his girlfriend (or is it his wife now) is so beautiful that I look for him to be lethargic on Sundays. 

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports free agent A.J. McCarron could be an option for the Broncos.

That's if the Broncos miss out on fellow free agent Kirk Cousins. McCarron overlapped with Broncos coach Vance Joseph two years in Cincinnati. The Boston Globe has posited Buffalo as a potential landing spot for the soon-to-be ex-Bengal.

Related: Broncos

Source: Marc Sessler on Twitter 

Mar 12 - 3:16 PM

And now there's reports that the Broncos are going to sign with Keenum.  Could be a rough free agency ride for McCarron.

-QG

That there is even a market for this guy shows how much the NFL desperately needs some serious injection of talent at the position.  I think so many college programs running air raid offenses has severely set back the position.  A lot of QBs are losing all those years in learning some of the critical facets of playing QB in the NFL.

Users who are viewing this thread