What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 49ers - The implosion continues tonight (1 Viewer)

clock management at the end was horrible for the 49ers IMO.Beautiful drive. no reason to leave so much time on the clock for the best offense in the league.
Singletary does not seem to have control of the sideline and bench area. Looked like total chaos with Singletary running around like a mad man trying to find people. Does not seem organized at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bottom line: 9ers hung in there with the defending super bowl champs, only losing by a last minute kick. Pretty good if you ask me.
:thumbup: Thank you Cowboy fan, some pretty cool Saints fans in here giving the 49ers props too. As a fan that is about as good as you can feel about a Loss, the ball bounced the wrong way a couple of times and the Saints are a great team so hopefully the 49ers keep up the good play.

clock management at the end was horrible for the 49ers IMO.Beautiful drive. no reason to leave so much time on the clock for the best offense in the league.
Ummm... the clock management wasn't that bad actually...I'm shocked at how lousy the 9ers fans are... Singletary took a team that was a joke, and turned it into a respectable team in two years. The whole attitude on the team is different.And Alex Smith looked VERY GOOD last night...

Clock management on that last drive was fine. You have to leave some time on the clock in case you don't convert the 2 point conversion. Need time for the on-side kick and a few plays after for the recovery.

That game was lost on a couple of fluke picks, IMO.

gradin123 said:
They came up with a big effort which means Singletary still has the guys on his side for now. However, it was a tough emotional letdown type of loss and there was still at least one obvious situation where they didn't get the play on time.

Even though they looked sharp tonight they still face another test next week. They have a winnable game next week against the Chiefs. However it is on the road, it is a short week and the KC fans should be pumped after their 2-0 start so it has the making of a pretty hostile environoment.

They should have gained some confidence with tonights performance, but preparing the guys for next week may actually be a bigger challenge than preparing for this week was.
:thumbup:

The KC game is huge for this team now and Arrowhead is one of the toughest places to play as a visiting team. With the niner's awful road record, that does not look good. Then they play at Atlanta, who handed the team its most lopsided defeat last year. Week 5 has them playing the eagles at home...when it rains it pours. Honestly I could see this team being 0-5, which even in the NFC West would be too steep of a hill to climb.

As for the late play, I do not believe this was an issue with the playcalling, it looked to me like Vernon Davis was late to get on the field. We can all spectulate on why but without knowing the details of why that happened, I'll give Vernon a pass for now as he has really seemed to turn his attitude/play around under Singultary's guidance.

It was not an implosion; the defense was good, and the offense was not bad.

But it's still a loss, which makes next week pretty important. A loss at KC, 0-3 with two tough games coming up, it could get ugly quick.

I'm sad to be a Niners fan.
when you get blasted by one of the worst 3-0 teams in nfl history, that's horiffic.I'll blame part of it from teh emotional letdown from last week.but it was definitely more the 49ers losing than chiefs winning, they're still terrible

I kind of saw this coming (like most Niner fans here I think) so it's not as much of a massive shock as the Seattle game. The Niners are terrible on the road, so we'll probably get blown out next week as well, and then the hot seat will really get heavy going into the SNF game.

I'm sad to be a Niners fan.
when you get blasted by one of the worst 3-0 teams in nfl history, that's horiffic.I'll blame part of it from teh emotional letdown from last week.but it was definitely more the 49ers losing than chiefs winning, they're still terrible
Don't sell them short, Dentist. The Chiefs defense looks great. The running game will be solid all season with the two-headed monster. And even the passing game looks like it's coming together.

Anthony Davis was getting manhandled all day. Smith had no time to throw, getting sacked 5 times. But what was up with the D? They had been pretty good stopping the run, but today, Charles and Jones were running all over the field

badmojo1006 said:
Anthony Davis was getting manhandled all day. Smith had no time to throw, getting sacked 5 times. But what was up with the D? They had been pretty good stopping the run, but today, Charles and Jones were running all over the field
:goodposting:They're terrible on the road. Was the same story last season.

Joe Summer said:
Countdown to Singletary pulling the patented Firing Of The Offensive Coordinator maneuver.
Not like the defensive coordinator is doing anything right either...

Dr. Awesome said:
The Chiefs looked good but don't underestimate the crapiness of the OC and qb. Truly pathetic.
Care to toss any blame the offensive lines way? Hard to engineer a drive when you can't run block or pass block worth a damn.

Joe Summer said:
Countdown to Singletary pulling the patented Firing Of The Offensive Coordinator maneuver.
He'll have to call him out publicly first.
I cant see Singletary doing that. Maybe something like calling out the entire offense, including all coaching, but not a single person

What is up with the D? They were a top 5 D according to many people before the season.
They weren't that good; last year they generated a bunch of turnovers, so their fantasy scoring and points against looked good, but in terms of yardage they were pretty mediocre. They've not generated the turnovers this year, so they're getting scored on. (2 INT, zero forced fumbles so far). They're still around where they were in terms of yardage against.It's hard to identify a real defensive standout outside of Willis.

What is up with the D? They were a top 5 D according to many people before the season.
They weren't that good; last year they generated a bunch of turnovers, so their fantasy scoring and points against looked good, but in terms of yardage they were pretty mediocre. They've not generated the turnovers this year, so they're getting scored on. (2 INT, zero forced fumbles so far). They're still around where they were in terms of yardage against.
To expand on this: Last year they gave up 326 yards/game; this year they're giving up 328 yards/game. Last year they gave up 17.4 first downs per game; this year they're giving up 17.3. So the defense really looks very similar, except that last year they generated just over 2 turnovers per game, and this year they've generated two turnovers in three games.Last year they probably got lucky on turnovers; this year they're probably a bit unlucky so far.

Can 49er fans fire the awful, (fill with your expletive of choice here) owner? York is the fundamental problem why this team hasn't been to the playoffs since Mariucci was the coach in one of the most consistently worst divisions in professional sports.

In San Francisco, Mike Singletary is on the hot seat, although given the head coach’s volatile nature, management might not be able to fire him until a SWAT team becomes available to deliver the message.
Link

In San Francisco, Mike Singletary is on the hot seat, although given the head coach’s volatile nature, management might not be able to fire him until a SWAT team becomes available to deliver the message.
Link
Sounds like speculation. Reasonable speculation, but I don't know why some guy in Toronto would have any insight as to what's going on in San Francisco.

Link
Sounds like speculation. Reasonable speculation, but I don't know why some guy in Toronto would have any insight as to what's going on in San Francisco.
As a Canadian, from Toronto... I urge you to take anything the Sun says with a grain of dagnarble.The only thing that paper is good for, is the Sunshine Girl; and even that is a bust most of the time

They weren't that good; last year they generated a bunch of turnovers, so their fantasy scoring and points against looked good, but in terms of yardage they were pretty mediocre. They've not generated the turnovers this year, so they're getting scored on. (2 INT, zero forced fumbles so far). They're still around where they were in terms of yardage against.
To expand on this: Last year they gave up 326 yards/game; this year they're giving up 328 yards/game. Last year they gave up 17.4 first downs per game; this year they're giving up 17.3. So the defense really looks very similar, except that last year they generated just over 2 turnovers per game, and this year they've generated two turnovers in three games.Last year they probably got lucky on turnovers; this year they're probably a bit unlucky so far.
:X

More implosion: Michael Lewis (former starting safety) leaves the team after being demoted, requests his release.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/nineri...?entry_id=73678

Before Lewis' agent said his client wanted out, Singletary was curt about Lewis' absence, saying only that it was a personal issue. Mays also pre-empted any questions about Lewis by saying that he didn't know what was going on with him and that he didn't want to talk about it.

"They say (Singletary is) a players' coach," Williams said. "Good luck with that."

More implosion: Michael Lewis (former starting safety) leaves the team after being demoted, requests his release.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/nineri...?entry_id=73678
Starting safety one week, quitting the team the next. Wow.From the article:

The image of a desperate team in disarray gained more momentum with the news that strong safety Michael Lewis left the team and now wants his release.

This follows Sunday night's sacking of offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye, a blow up by the head coach on regional television, a shuddering 0-3 start and two other players, defensive lineman Kentwan Balmer and running back Glen Coffee, who have unceremoniously bolted from the 49ers' Santa Clara facility during training camp.

They weren't that good; last year they generated a bunch of turnovers, so their fantasy scoring and points against looked good, but in terms of yardage they were pretty mediocre. They've not generated the turnovers this year, so they're getting scored on. (2 INT, zero forced fumbles so far). They're still around where they were in terms of yardage against.It's hard to identify a real defensive standout outside of Willis.
Aubrayo Franklin is probably the best player on that D after P.Willis (I'd rank Justin Smith third). Their weakness is the defensive backs (especially at cornerback, but the safeties aren't very good either, at least not vs. the pass). Combine that with what has been a subpar pass rush and a defense that keeps going 3-and-out, and you have a recipe for disaster. I still think there's a good chance they'll end the season as a top 10 D, however.

Can 49er fans fire the awful, (fill with your expletive of choice here) owner? York is the fundamental problem why this team hasn't been to the playoffs since Mariucci was the coach in one of the most consistently worst divisions in professional sports.
+1000. The Yorks have to be in contention for the worst owners in the NFL. The first thing they did after they took over the team was fire (or ignore and alienate) all the people they believed were DeBartolo loyalists, including Bill Walsh. Since then, they've had one of the most inexperienced front office and coaching staffs in the league. Jed "Lucky Sperm" York fancies himself co-GM of the team, along with Paraag Marathe, who has an MBA from Stanford but little grounding in football. Can the team become great again with Jed York/Marathe as "co-GMs" and a HC who was a superb player but was a completely unproven commodity as a coach when he was hired and has been said (by former Niner players) to run the most disorganized team they've ever been on? Not likely.

Starting safety Lewis latest 49er to want off the team

By Matthew Barrows

mbarrows@sacbee.com

Published: Saturday, Oct. 2, 2010 - 12:00 am | Page 1C

Last Modified: Saturday, Oct. 2, 2010 - 12:16 am

SANTA CLARA – Add starting safety Michael Lewis to a growing list of players who want no part of the 49ers' organization.

Lewis, who has started every game but one during his 49ers tenure, asked for his release Friday, according to agent Rodney Williams.

Lewis did not make the trip to Atlanta. Taylor Mays, a rookie, and Reggie Smith, a third-year player, are expected to take over the position Sunday against the Falcons.

Williams said a "lack of trust" in the 49ers' organization prompted his client's move.

The rift began earlier this week when two reports, from the NFL Network and ESPN, surfaced that Lewis and linebacker Takeo Spikes would be benched for the team's upcoming game against the Falcons.

Lewis was assured by coaches that his role would not be altered, Williams said. That message, however, changed on Friday morning when Lewis was told that the team wanted to begin easing second-round pick Taylor Mays into the lineup. Lewis would remain the starter in Atlanta, he was told, but the 49ers wanted him to become more of a mentor to Mays from this point forth.

"We're not interested in the direction the organization is going," Williams said.

Lewis, 30, is essentially the third 49er to step away from the team in the past two months.

Defensive end Kentwan Balmer missed several practice sessions this summer because of "personal reasons," and he was later traded to Seattle. Another 49er, running back Glen Coffee, abruptly quit the team during training camp.

Lewis, however, is the most veteran and certainly the most respected team member to quit. A nine-year veteran, he was signed along with cornerback Nate Clements in 2007 to add experience and leadership to the team's secondary.

Lewis skipped Friday's practice and was not with the team as it boarded buses for the airport. Before Williams' remarks, coach Mike Singletary said that Lewis' absence was due to "personal reasons," the same explanation he gave when Balmer was a no show in August.

"I told him to go ahead and do what he has to do," Singletary said. "As far as if he'll make the trip or not, I'm not sure at this point. It depends on if things get worked out or not. But once again, it's personal reasons. And it's on Mike. I don't talk about that. You'll have to talk about him about that."

Mays had been used solely on special teams through the first three games this season.

"I've been ready to play, so it's not like it's any different," Mays said. "I'm approaching it the same way, and they've been preparing me to play for when I need to step in and help the team."

Asked why Mays, not third-year player Reggie Smith, got most of the first-team repetitions Friday, Singletary said Mays needed to get up to speed more than Smith.

"Reggie has a good feel for what we're doing," Singletary said. "Taylor, in case he has to play, whether it's a sub-situation or base situation, it's just a matter of him knowing as much as he can, and we want to get him all the reps that he possibly can."

In July, Singletary hinted there might be changes in the secondary when he said that age had cost the 49ers some speed. One of the team's older safeties from 2009, Mark Roman, was not re-signed. Lewis, meanwhile, accepted a pay decrease that essentially cut his 2010 salary in half – he had been due to make $4.1 million in base salary – and eliminated the final two years of his deal.

As for Spikes, he also was assured that he would retain his starting spot. However, the 13-year veteran has been dealing with a bruised knee, and he lost some of his snaps to rookie NaVorro Bowman on Sunday in Kansas City, Mo. Spikes is probable to play in Atlanta.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2010/10/02/3073621/s...r#ixzz11FarZSuC

Niners coach Mike Singletary is officially on the hot seat

Mike Singletary: short fuse and short leash

David White, Chronicle Staff Writer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike Singletary fired his offensive coordinator after three games, ran off a KPIX interviewer after one on-air blowup and chased off all Alex Smith competition before the season began.

If his winless 49ers don't win one of the next two to three games, Singletary might be the next one removed from the premises, according to a team source familiar with the tenuous situation.

With an 0-4 record at his back, and two home games in his face, Singletary's job security is in question with an ownership that values image as much as it does winning. Singletary has not always upheld the former, and has yet to do any of the latter.

"It's the nature of the game," said Singletary, who carries a 13-16 coaching record into tonight's nationally televised game against the Eagles at Candlestick Park.

"Players have responsibility, and if they don't do their job, certain things happen. Coaches have responsibility. If they don't do their job, things happen."

Just ask Mike Nolan, who was replaced by Singletary after a 2-5 start three years ago, or Dennis Erickson, who also started 0-4 in 2004 and was fired after a 2-14 season.

To be sure, the York family has invested a lot in Singletary as the face of their franchise, and they won't let him go lightly. His face is painted all over team material. He got rock-star treatment, pyrotechnics and all, at the State of the Franchise address in July.

The 49ers were the consensus pick to win the weakened NFC West. So much has changed in the two-plus months since.

Three players left the team, including respected veteran safety Michael Lewis last week. Singletary's on-air confrontation during a paid interview led to KPIX anchor Dennis O'Donnell being removed from the segment last month.

Singletary tore into his quarterback after a 31-6 loss to Seattle in the season opener, then called a second team meeting when the plane returned to Santa Clara after key players - including linebacker Patrick Willis - confronted him about it.

Singletary vowed to keep offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye after a 31-10 loss in Kansas City, then fired him the next morning. Just when Singletary got through a controversy-free week, he refused to shake hands with Falcons coach Mike Smith after last week's 16-14 loss.

None of those incidents is a big deal on its own. It's the ongoing accumulation that has not gone unnoticed by team President Jed York, according to a team source who talks with York on a regular basis.

York declined a recent interview request by The Chronicle, on the grounds that it would do him no good to say anything right now. But, he did tell a Comcast reporter that he had nothing to do with Raye's firing.

The team source said York was telling the truth on that. He has not interfered with Singletary's football decisions. That way, if York has to fire Singletary, he gets none of the blame for what went wrong other than hiring him in the first place.

Singletary said this is no time for him to address his future with the front office.

"My mind doesn't focus like that," Singletary said. "I don't worry about, 'Well, who do I need to talk to? Am I OK?' There's 53 guys - that's my responsibility.

"The last thing I'm thinking about is my job security. The most important thing that I'm thinking about is where this team is going, the direction of this team."

Indeed, the best way for Singletary to work his way off the ledge is to start winning games. The Eagles are vulnerable without star quarterback Michael Vick. The 49ers host the Raiders (now 1-3) next week, then travel to winless Carolina.

The 49ers are just two games back in the division. If they handle their business the next three weeks, they could play back into the division lead by Halloween day against the Broncos in London.

Or, York might start looking for the second head coach of his brief team presidency.

"There are coaches right now that are riding high, and at the end of the season, their job will be in jeopardy," Singletary said. "That's the nature of the job, and I'm thankful for that. So that's where I am with that."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...L#ixzz11wFrKTnB

San Francisco's schedule to start the season has been brutal. @Sea, NO, @KC, @Atl is gross.

I expect a decent performance today at home and then their schedule looks bright. The west is so bad they really aren't out of the playoff hunt yet.

San Francisco's schedule to start the season has been brutal. @Sea, NO, @KC, @Atl is gross.I expect a decent performance today at home and then their schedule looks bright. The west is so bad they really aren't out of the playoff hunt yet.
Phew. Niner fans are no better at admitting mistakes than the Niner ownership is.Great timing from the announcers tonight: "This is the kind of situation where Smith needs to show that he's one of those Steve Young, Joe Montana guys," followed seconds later by a game-ending interception.Prediction: This week you'll hear lots of "Smith nearly brought this team back" kind of commentary, and focus on the garbage-time TD drive, to counter the people who want to see Carr. Smith will start against the Raiders. If he is having a bad game, you'll see Carr. If the Niners meltdown continues and they lose to the Raiders, Smith is done at QB, and I can't imagine Singletary will survive the season.

Prediction: This week you'll hear lots of "Smith nearly brought this team back" kind of commentary, and focus on the garbage-time TD drive, to counter the people who want to see Carr. Smith will start against the Raiders. If he is having a bad game, you'll see Carr. If the Niners meltdown continues and they lose to the Raiders, Smith is done at QB, and I can't imagine Singletary will survive the season.
Looks about right so far:http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...L#ixzz129hQq700

Smith now will work on a week-to-week basis, because Singletary has voided his year-long lease on the job.

"I think from this point on, you have to do what's best for the football team," Singletary said Monday, one day after threatening to bench Smith during a 27-24 loss to the visiting Eagles.
And Singletary shows how much he's in control of the team:
Singletary told Smith he was benched as Carr warmed up and got ready to take the field. With prodding from tight end Vernon Davis, Smith argued to stay in the game and Singletary relented.
Prediction remains: if the Niners are losing against the Raiders, Smith gets pulled after his second turnover and doesn't regain the job.

You think David Carr is the answer!??!

:goodposting:

As bad as Smith is, and he's been horrible, you're about to see a new low in professional football if David Carr is made the starter

You think David Carr is the answer!??! :goodposting: As bad as Smith is, and he's been horrible, you're about to see a new low in professional football if David Carr is made the starter
I absolutely do not think David Carr is the answer. I'm just telling you what's going to happen. After Carr fails, they'll throw in T.Smith or Davis, who will also fail, and then fire Singletary late in the season or afterwards. Then they'll burn another 1.01 pick on a QB, throw him into the fire and pray.

Users who are viewing this thread